• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerilla Games: PS4 has no performance bottlenecks

gtj1092

Any new news on whether the CPU will be clocked at 1.6ghz or 2.0ghz?

A bump up to 2 would be sweet.

I think I saw in thread about Cerny's interview in Japan one of the diagrams stated the CPU is <1.8ghz. Not positive though was viewing on my phone and the pic was small.

It really is.

It is one of the major reasons why COD is so successful, along with crisper smoother images, 60 fps bring forth so much control responsiveness.

Remember the kz2 controller input lag ?

The hilarious thing is with killzone 3 GG copied alot of stuff from COD apart from which makes it successful. 60fps.

It's 2013 and yet they are still at 30fps.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think I saw in thread about Cerny's interview in Japan one of the diagrams stated the CPU is <1.8ghz. Not positive though was viewing on my phone and the pic was small.
It was ">1.8GHz?" in said image.

Also those images are estimates based on what is known and not officially released documentation.

Jac_Solar

I think he means that just because it's X86, doesn't mean it has all the same bottlenecks as a PC does.

Yeah, they are all equally powerful. I thought all consoles were made like this.

For example, I think it works like this; If a graphic card could run a game at 60 FPS easily, but the CPU can't, then you're stuck with whatever performance the CPU can output. Some games need a lot of CPU but not a lot of GPU power, and some need lots of GPU but not CPU.

As long as the game demands something like 50CPU/50GPU, or a decent balance at least, then performance won't be capped by either as long as the GPU and CPU are equally powerful.

But since is so relative game to game, how can anyone make a claim that there are no performance bottlenecks? Is he assuming that games are designed 50GPU/50CPU?

Oh ok, will be interesting to hear more conclusively at this next rumoured Playstation event hopefully.

Edge just posted the whole article:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/ps4-isnt-just-a-high-end-pc-says-guerrilla-games/

Some interesting quotes:

Guerrilla Games&#8217; technical director Michiel Van Der Leeuw has dismissed the notion that PS4 is little more than a high-end PC, suggesting that those describing the console that way are &#8216;trolls&#8217; and &#8216;fanboys&#8217;.

Van Der Leeuw went on to explain the differences between PS4 and a high-powered PC. &#8220;A PC is a number of parts which also has bridges in between where there are inefficiencies that may not be exactly the right match. We&#8217;ve got the right amount of memory, video card, everything balanced out. I know it was a very conscious effort to make sure that, with the speed of the memory, the amount of compute units, the speed of the hard-drive that we put in, that there would not be any bottlenecks. So the amount of pixel-pushers that you have, the amount of memory, the speed of your compute units make sure that you don&#8217;t hit any of the weakspots of the hardware.&#8221;

This balancing of PS4&#8217;s architecture and the use of complimentary components make it simpler to work with, said Van Der Leeuw. &#8220;Whereas if you have a PC very often your buffs, or your express buffs are very slow compared to your video RAM which is GDDR5 and your main RAM then is even slower than that, but you compensate by sticking buffers in there&#8230; there&#8217;s a lot of things to contemplate in the fact that it is a replaceable-parts architecture. This [PS4] is where all of the parts are designed to work together, naturally.&#8221;

cakefoo

It was amazing, if that was a bug then it was the best bug ever, the weapons had a distinct feeling, the weight and the recoil so realistic for a console shooter, I played through KZ2 dozens of times and remember the patch that included the "alternate" (fixed) controls, I still preferred the buggy ones. KZ3 was way more COD-twitchy and the gunplay wasn't anywhere as rewarding as that of KZ2, but this is an opinion vastly different from that of most GAF users, which I understand.
There were a number of factors contributing to KZ2's weightiness, but one factor I fought to point out (and which was published on G4's online page) was a video demonstrating the number of video frames between controller input and onscreen response. Even the GUNFIRE was slow to respond, suggesting that the whole control scheme was equally affected by an input delay issue. After a patch, I measured everything again using the same methods and they had reduced input delay on everything by 20-40ms. The camera still had the exact same acceleration curve as before, except that it no longer sat idle for 120-150ms, it was now 60-90ms.

It didn't. The fact that they patched the game and it had less input lag while the framerate remained the same should be enough evidence of that.
If a game is 60fps it can update every 16.6ms. If it's 30fps it can only update every 33.3ms. Therefore a 60fps game can draw that frame 16.6ms faster. In Killzone 2's case though, it had about 120-150ms of input lag, so shaving 16.6ms off that would not have made a big deal. They shaved a couple 30fps frames off or roughly 66ms in the patch that addressed latency.

Never. As others have said numerous times, SSD would be a massive waste.

Yet there's been mutliple comments about the "great speed of the harddrive?" this couldn't just be about a 7200rpm HDD, could it? And why's it a waste? DF should huge performance gains when using a SSD for the ps3 version of Rage.

cakefoo

it didn't, they went for realistic, accelerated feel to motion.

might wanna be less obnoxious next time.
Realistic 150ms of lag in pressing a trigger to seeing a muzzle flash? LOOOOL

P.S. If you hold a gun in real life and try to move it quickly, it doesn't sit there completely dead for 150ms.

P.S.S. When you'd be spinning your gun and suddenly let go of the stick, you kept spinning full speed for 150ms, then you stopped on a dime. That's input lag, not inertia.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Realistic 150ms of lag in pressing a trigger to seeing a muzzle flash? LOOOOL

P.S. If you hold a gun in real life and try to move it quickly, it doesn't sit there completely dead for 150ms.

maybe it was unintentional, maybe it was, but it defintiely wasn't entirely about the framerate.

and LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL makes anyone sound obnoxious. pretend you were talking to someone in real life.

Valnen

Input lag = weight was one of the dumbest PR things people actually believed this generation. If not THE dumbest.

I'll take 30fps, but no more input lag, pls. That was horrid
KuGsj.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'll take 30fps, but no more input lag, pls. That was horrid
KuGsj.gif
KZ3 is actually quite responsive for a 30fps game so I don't think there's much to worry about for Shadow Fall. I just want the momentum/acceleration of KZ2 back with the responsiveness of 3.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Full install option for each game or bust, I wanna have 1tb SSDs in these things by the time the lifespan starts to run out

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Full install option for each game or bust, I wanna have 1tb SSDs in these things by the time the lifespan starts to run out
Some of the comments from Edge's articles make it sound like installs will be mandatory and that the HDD is quite fast. I doubt it's an SSD, though.

cakefoo

maybe it was unintentional, maybe it was, but it defintiely wasn't entirely about the framerate.

and LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL makes anyone sound obnoxious. pretend you were talking to someone in real life.
The claim was that input lag has nothing to do with framerate. But it does. When you play a game that has little input lag, 60fps does improve response time. It only accounted for 16ms of Killzone 2's ~150ms of lag though, so it wasn't the main cause. Thus both sides of the argument needed correction.

My LOOOL was satirical. ;)

not sure if anything happens in real life in 150ms...
I'm not talking about the duration of an action, but rather the length of inactivity. I have tested a couple PC monitors recently and even 10ms can make a welcome difference in mouse cursor responsiveness.

mrgreen

Banned
The hilarious thing is with killzone 3 GG copied alot of stuff from COD apart from which makes it successful. 60fps.

It's 2013 and yet they are still at 30fps.

It depends on the type of game. Not all shooters need fast responsive controls, some are more slower, deeper, and involving in their game play. COD might be 60fps but it's also a fps that I don't like, so 60fps isn't everything at all.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Alright, now we're getting somewhere. My opinion is, GG has made the design choice because yes, the hardware may not be able to handle their vision of the game at 60fps, so the compromise was made. This doesn't mean that the system is bottlenecked; it just isn't as capable as a high end PC might be. We have to be realistic in our expectations; no one wants to pay for an $800 console, but we all want pretty graphics, so there has to be a trade off. GG are known for their highly detailed graphics and textures, and KZ never played like a COD game, so 30fps is where they felt comfortable with the type of game they wanted to make. If you want a KZ at 60 fps, it will probably have to look more like COD. I would like to be proven wrong down the line, but if not I can accept it.

So the entire system is a bottleneck. Good effects, textures, resolution, framerate etc make it in. The framerate doesn't make it out.

well either you're suggesting that they somehow need to bow down and target 60fps for your pleasure or you're suggesting that there's not enough hardware for them to do it.

neither of these are points related to bottlenecks. so I ask again, your point is?

I just explained that the entire system itself is a bottleneck.

It's a design choice. Every console game could have been 60 fps if developers wanted. A ps4 packing a titan wouldn't make a difference

This is more like a design restriction. Maybe design sacrifice? One of those.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Some of the comments from Edge's articles make it sound like installs will be mandatory and that the HDD is quite fast. I doubt it's an SSD, though.
I haven't checked up on it, but I assume we can replace them ourselves again and this time most of the games will take advantage of the SSD, less load times the better!!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So the entire system is a bottleneck. Good effects, textures, resolution, framerate etc make it in. The framerate doesn't make it out.

This is more like a design restriction. Maybe design sacrifice? One of those.
Bottlenecks refer to system efficiency, not power. You didn't explain that the console was a bottleneck because that's not what the term means.

I haven't checked up on it, but I assume we can replace them ourselves again and this time most of the games will take advantage of the SSD, less load times the better!!
If they did specifically put in an HDD that was really fast, I could see them going the proprietary route so that no one puts in something skower and complains.

cakefoo

You can't just change the definition of a word to suit your argument. A bottleneck is caused when one component creates a traffic jam preventing the other components from reaching their maximum performance levels. There's no such thing as the "entire system" being a bottleneck, unless the entire system is so poorly designed that all the parts bottleneck each other.

I really don't see the hardon for 60 FPS. Especially for a game like killzone.
60fps for many including myself is the lowest TV standard framerate at which video motion becomes comparable to the fluidity of the naked eye's perception of real life motion. Things move instead of being a sequence of individual frames.

Black Ops 2
30fps - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftJktWgaVOw&hd=1#t=30s
60fps - http://gamersyde.com/stream_call_of_duty_black_ops_2_mission_2_part_2-29127_en.html

Dead Space
30fps - www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRh4fvYPZlI&hd=1#t=45s
60fps - http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_dead_space_3_escape_pc_-29458_en.html

Spinning/falling block
http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Mechanical things
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/604633

Swifty

I just love it when non-developers change the definition of a term used in software development then claim developers are lying.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The claim was that input lag has nothing to do with framerate. But it does. When you play a game that has little input lag, 60fps does improve response time. It only accounted for 16ms of Killzone 2's ~150ms of lag though, so it wasn't the main cause. Thus both sides of the argument needed correction.

My LOOOL was satirical. ;).

i'm fully aware of that, but like you stated, 150ms is a far cry from 16ms.

i actually dont think anyone made that claim, we just stated that 30fps wasnt the primary reason for the lag in kz2.

i-Lo

My LOOOL was satirical. ;)

I'm not talking about the duration of an action, but rather the length of inactivity. I have tested a couple PC monitors recently and even 10ms can make a welcome difference in mouse cursor responsiveness.

I think anyone who mentions KZ2 would understand why it's different from the rest. Of course, framerate has an effect with input lag. Objectively, a 60fps will afford lesser input lag than 30fps, barring controller and tv related lag. That's why I said what I did when KZ2 was mentioned because other games in the same vein (30fps) have managed to operate at lower (Halo, PGR, Motostorm, Uncharted, etc) input lag. KZ2's lag was apparently deliberate to give it a weighty feel thanks to increased insensitivity to controller deadzone.

cakefoo

i'm fully aware of that, but like you stated, 150ms is a far cry from 16ms.

i actually dont think anyone made that claim, we just stated that 30fps wasnt the primary reason for the lag in kz2.
We all agree that LabouredSubterfuge exaggerated the impact of framerate on KZ2's responsiveness, but it was a combination of replies to his post that I felt compelled to clarify:

(KZ2's lag) had nothing to do with frame rate.
I mean, technically framerate had more than "nothing" to do with responsiveness.

RoboPlato claimed to echo i-Lo, but also said something else that was flawed in regards to what he perceived as evidence:
It didn't. The fact that they patched the game and it had less input lag while the framerate remained the same should be enough evidence of that.
If anyone did proper tests in an attempt to provide scientific evidence that framerate had nothing to do with KZ2's responsiveness, they'd have found the opposite to be true.

KZ2's lag was apparently deliberate to give it a weighty feel thanks to increased insensitivity to controller deadzone.
Maybe deadzone was a factor for finetune aiming, but my reaction time tests were not affected by deadzones. I was out of the deadzone as fast as you can snap a finger. I would throw the stick all the way outward very quickly. I also was tapping R1 to test the muzzle flash responsiveness and tapping the dpad in the menus.

All three forms of controller input had the same lag time. I laugh at people who describe this as being Killzone's trademark "weightiness," because why would they add weight to a trigger finger? In reality Killzone's trademark weightiness should have come from camera acceleration curves, inertial weapon animations, physics-impulse-based bullet impacts, etc. The camera not even BEGINNING to move until 150ms after you tell it to, even for firing a weapon, was not a good design choice, if intentional. There should be advanced options for turn speed acceleration for people who liked that initial latency, but it shouldn't have been a game-wide controller latency like it was pre-patch.

I'm fine if a camera has weight, if it has an acceleration curve, if it doesn't instantly turn at full speed- but I shouldn't have to wait 150ms for it to come out of idle status at all, let alone 150ms for a gun to fire.

Top Bottom