• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerilla Games: PS4 has no performance bottlenecks

FordGTGuy

Banned
Optical drives won't affect performance, just load times. Also do we know what speed it's going to be this time around? Certainly not x2 again.

Also, console comes with a huge HDD.

I consider load times to be a part of performance and is indeed a bottle neck....

The CPU seemed like a potential bottleneck but if some of the normal CPU load is being sent off to the GPU, I can believe it's a well balanced piece of hardware.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
well duh.

it's new hardware and they're a launch title.

they haven't found the bottleneck yet

True, but some bottlenecks are obvious.

PS3: RSX Fillrate (transparencies), single PPU for general purpose code
360: 10MB eDRAM

Ask PC gamers now, they'll point out the CPU and GPU are already bottlenecks.

:(

A bottle neck occurs when some parts of the system are faster and have to wait for slower components to respond or catch up. Like driving on a 4 lane highway that suddenly becomes a 3 lane because of an accident or closed lane, that's what a bottle neck is

If the system is balanced correctly where all parts match in speed, then there will be no bottle neck ;)

Ploid 3.0

I think he may be talking about bottlenecks in the console sense. Like last gen it was ram, difficulty in the architecture, and maybe the cpu. Sure more bottlenecks can be found when they continue to make cg like graphics but that would be expensive and require a lot of art and such. HD games apparently costed too much with the move to this gen. Going hollywood ILM graphics would probably be too high of a goal.

The next gen should be more than enough of a playground to make the game and graphics we'll need for a long time.

daveo42

Banned
This is why (hopefully) all games will be able to be fully installed to the hard drive.

If you mean by harnessing the power of the CPU/GPU/RAM devs will be making constant improvements over times as game engines advance just like with any console. You don't really "max out" a console for about 5 years or so. I mean just look at Halo 4 for example. The game looks stunning for something released on 7 years old hardware.

My guess is that all games will also be available day 1 digital to help alleviate the optical drive issue. At least this time around we won't have to worry as much about streaming issues due to the incredibly show Blu-ray drive.

As for game engine advancements, I think we'll top out in about 2-3 years based on the architecture alone. Since developers don't have to wrestle the hardware every step of the way, it's going to be much easier to bring out it's full potential quite early this time around.

Liamario

Banned
Average gamer doesn't know what they want. You can improve the GFX enough to get them interested while still being able to reach 60fps.

I am in fantasy land of course.

I consider load times to be a part of performance and is indeed a bottle neck....

We don't even know what HDD it's using so how can you know?

Also it's ok if you consider them. But no one else does. You don't exactly see a "load times" section on any performance charts for a reason, unless you're analyzing hard drives that is.

It's not unconditional praise...why don't you tell us what the bottlenecks are in the PS4, instead of typing smartass replies?
Sony's first party devs have produced some of the best looking games this gen, but now all of a sudden we can't trust what they say concerning PS4 hardware. Silly-GAF in full effect.

It's not unconditional praise...why don't you tell us what the bottlenecks are in the PS4, instead of typing smartass replies?

Its single threaded performance is pretty... well.. leaves much to be desired.

Not every single piece of code lends itself to great and easy multi-threading. AI is usually one of these.. for example

Sony's first party devs have produced some of the best looking games this gen, but now all of a sudden we can't trust what they say concerning PS4 hardware. Silly-GAF in full effect.

These are the same guys who tried to pass off a pre-rendered trailer as in game footage...

Ask again in three years time, you'll find plenty of bottlenecks.

Of course, for system power that's expected on any an every platform. It's good to know though that it's a well designed system.

Edit: On note from several smart posters, it should be noted this isn't about power, but efficiency.

Looks like Guerrila games is the bottleneck of the PS4 by limiting their game to only 30fps.

Zing! But seriously, while I couldn't care less about some kind of 60fps standard, I don't think Guerrilla is going to be the company to watch on PS4. Other devs will push the system more in terms of power and, more importantly, creativity.

Radec

ITT some really don't know the meaning of bottleneck...

hilarious.

Shut the hell up Guerrilla. You're becoming Crytek..

Point me to where Guerilla says something about the PS4 being better than other hardware or dissing other hardware.

Durante

I don't get the negative reaction in this thread. From everything we heard, this seems like a true statement.

Of course, having or not having obvious architectural bottlenecks says nothing about the performance level of a device -- just that it's well designed.

So what's bottlenecking the frame rate in KZ4?
That's just it: just because it's not bottlenecked doesn't mean that there are no performance limits, just that the individual parts complement each other well.

OP really should be updated with the generally accepted definition of "bottleneck" in this context. I know it's implied already in the text.

Kerub

Banned
I don't get the negative reaction in this thread. From everything we heard, this seems like a true statement.

Of course, having or not having obvious architectural bottlenecks says nothing about the performance level of a device -- just that it's well designed.

but then why is it 30 fps etc etc

Glass Rebel

So the issues with the hardware are on a more fundamental level?

This was pretty evident, it's an extremely efficient piece of hardware it seems

Zaptruder

Banned
While I'm happy to hear this, playing the devil's advocate card here - performance bottlenecks are created as much by software developers as they are by hardware developers.

But I'll take the statement to mean that under typical usage, it should be easy to have all components utilized at near maximum levels.

So the system components are highly complementary.

As opposed to say... too much ram (more than the rest of the system can use appropriately), or too much CPU power; more than the GPU can put out.

But... I don't think you can have too much GPU power TBH... or it'd have to be such a ludicrous mismatch that it simply isn't possible for any sane company to pull off.

Top Bottom