• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerilla Games: PS4 has no performance bottlenecks

PS4 games to have shit AI, confirmed by a GAFFER!!

I am definitely not confirming that! LOL

I was just comparing it with its PC world counterpart which has very average if not lower end single threaded performance.
But it is relatively better at branching code like AI than the older HD twins. So that is actually good!

I am psyched for the PS4.. but definitely know it is not some "super rendering" machine like some people on GAF seem to think.

I know its processor, and based upon its PC world counter part I can safely say that its single threaded performance is pretty average if not lacking.
I won't claim to be a tech wiz, but hasn't there been talk of certain cores or chips that take on certain tasks, allowing for more efficiency?

sTeLioSco

Banned
I am definitely not confirming that! LOL

I was just comparing it with its PC world counterpart which has very average if not lower end single threaded performance.
But it is relatively better at branching code like AI than the older HD twins. So that is actually good!

I am psyched for the PS4.. but definitely know it is not some "super rendering" machine like some people on GAF seem to think.

the pc counterparts are going to get console ports.

and noone will make "better ai" for better processors
its great when they make options to make the graphics better and thats not always a guarantee

Triple U

Banned
So, alot of people here really don't understand the concept of bottle necks. Protip: it has nothing to do with power or flops...

I won't claim to be a tech wiz, but hasn't there been talk of certain cores or chips that take on certain tasks, allowing for more efficiency?

You may be thinking more of the Durango rumors with its DPS and stuff. BUt yeah PS4 has some specialized chip or two on it made very specifically for the whole recording functionality. Beyond that it just has its 8 cores...
They do lend it to being awesome for multhreaded tasks and can lead to more efficiency. But some tasks which are hard to divide up into multiple worker jobs will have to deal with its relatively "OK" single threaded performance. That is all.

I do not think it will be a big deal at all.. but it is one of its "less" balanced features. The system is very balanced though.

Even ignoring the price, considering how much downloadable content will be pushed next generation, the storage limitations of an SSD vs HDD would be enough to discourage Sony from going with a SSD. Maybe a hybrid but I hope they just stick with a standard user upgradable 2.5" HDD.

milsorgen

Banned
This whole thread is missing the point. He's saying it's balanced.

How unlike a PC which may be upgraded piece meal, or bought with simply the best of each part leaving you with perhaps too little mem. bandwidth or a GPU waiting on the CPU all the time. He seems to be saying there is no one glaring missmatch between parts and capabilities on the ps4.

I though they pretty much said they were using an HDD. I remember seeing on Feb 20 something saying "large storage only an HDD can provide"

This whole thread is missing the point. He's saying it's balanced.

How unlike a PC which may be upgraded piece meal, or bought with simply the best of each part leaving you with perhaps too little mem. bandwidth or a GPU waiting on the CPU all the time. He seems to be saying there is no one glaring missmatch between parts and capabilities on the ps4.

I do not think many missed that point.

I merely pointed out how it is "very balanced" in a lot of areas but is only slightly lacking or "bounded" in one area: namely, single threaded performance.

probably flash+hdd?
or not

How about 60gb flash only for the lower end model, and 200gb hdd plus 60gb flash memory for higher end model. Just enough flash memory for a full ps4 game, and it could be really useful to developers knowing that every system has it, also it has benefits.

Radec

I was wondering if the PS4 natively supports an SSD though.

Installation and Loading Times* will greatly improve on that.

There was a ps4 rumor a while back saying you could register a game disc to your PSN and then install it the HDD. I hope that turns out true.

Hopefully Sony also lets us swap out the HDD just like the ps3. That way we can put in a SSD for even better load times.

Durante

Derrrr, every system has a bottleneck.
I wouldn't say that. Or at least, it's more complicated. For every (reasonably complex) system it's possible to write a program which is bottlenecked in one particular aspect of performance. However, if, over a large enough sample of games, the statistical distribution of that component is more or less flat, it would be fair to say that the hardware has no bottlenecks.

I think this statement is true as the hardware seems really well balanced. Are there better parts available in the PC market? For sure. Are there any major bottlenecks? Nope!

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
1Lertp7.gif

JWong

Banned
I wouldn't say that. Or at least, it's more complicated. For every (reasonably complex) system it's possible to write a program which is bottlenecked in one particular aspect of performance. However, if, over a large enough sample of games, the statistical distribution of that component is more or less flat, it would be fair to say that the hardware has no bottlenecks.

People need to understand this.

This isn't about processing power, it's about the hardware pipeline. The components in the hardware work seamlessly and efficiently with each other.

Doesn't PS3 support SSD? What do you mean by natively?

The thing is there is a bottleneck on the ps3 if you use an ssd lol. It is a little bit faster than a 7200rpm hdd when in reality it should be much, much faster. I should know since i have a vertex 4 128gb ssd on the ps3 and it helps but not that much, i have it because of the low heat consumption. The ps3 is not meant to have the read/write speeds an ssd can bring.

I meant if the PS4 have a SATA 3 6Gb/s where an SSD can take advantage of.

The thing is there is a bottleneck on the ps3 if you use an ssd lol. It is a little bit faster than a 7200rpm hdd when in reality it should be much, much faster. I should know since i have a vertex 4 128gb ssd on the ps3 and it helps but not that much, i have it because of the low heat consumption. The ps3 is not meant to have the read/write speeds an ssd can bring.

oh right! Hopefully it will have native SSD support. Planetside 2 needs a SSD!! It runs like crap on a HDD.

Bravocado

If they made a console that would please the hardcore pc enthusiast crowd, then the price would be the bottleneck.

Well said. I love my pc, my consoles, my handheld gaming device, my smartphone, etc. All for different reasons. Arguing one over the other seems pointless, when diversity of options and corporate competition is beneficial for us, the consumers.

Didn't the PS3 have 'endless power' at launch?

I understand this isn't the same as having a bottleneck, but to assume no bottleneck = limitless power is wrong.

probably flash+hdd?
or not

I though they pretty much said they were using an HDD. I remember seeing on Feb 20 something saying "large storage only an HDD can provide"

Yeah, I think the best we can hope for would be some kind of hybrid drive solution, but I wouldn't be holding my breath. The speed they're talking about could simply be the suggestion that games can be installed and therefore have better performance as it's not direct from the disk reading. Who knows though?

I have to imagine that sort of thing won't tickle your average person and therefore won't make it into PR in any significant manner either way. Well, unless it was full SSD, then maybe.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
If they've done enough rigorous testing and made sure every part complements each other well, then yeah I can believe this.

People don't seem to understand what "bottleneck" means.
You're right. Some seem to understand talking out of their ass though. GG isn't saying the PS4 is The Holy Grail here, only that it's well designed. I guess because they are down with Sony some cant help but get defensive.

Moonstone

He says that the ps4 is no bottle, it's a bucket. Hence no bottleneck. That doesn't mean that there are larger buckets than the ps4.

Top Bottom