• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Launch Date announced: August 28th, 2012

koji

Not lately, but it should be in at launch.

I mailed them about linking my GW and GW2 accounts a couple days ago, this was the reply I got:

Greetings,

We have recently encountered errors when manually linking some Guild Wars 2 accounts with Guild Wars accounts. While this error does not affect all accounts, we have had to halt providing this service at this time to prevent any other accounts from being affected by this issue.

Please note, we realize that players are anxious to have their accounts linked so that they can claim their reserved Guild Wars character names and Hall of Monuments rewards. However, do not worry. The account management pages will contain a feature that will allow players to link their accounts as intended. This feature will be available prior to the Headstart events.

r4z4

Could someone please help me fully understand the major differences between Direct and Condition damage?

What I know/assume:

> Direct damage (DD) is burst damage and is countered by Toughness.
> Condition damage (CD) is damage-over-time and ignores Toughness.

Where I need clarification:

> CD attacks inflict conditions such as Bleed and Burn, and CD attacks can be boosted by both +Condition damage and +Condition duration?

> Are there any conditions that don't do DoT? and would therefore not be enhanced by +Condition duration?

> +Condition damage increase the damage on each DoT?

> +Condition duration increase the number of DoTs?

> These modifiers will have no impact on DD skills right? If so what are the relative modifiers to boost DD?

> If a condition like Bleed or Burn is cleared does that remove the future DoT for that specific inflicted condition or does it just prevent stacking of that condition?

> If future DoT for a specific inflicted condition is cleared, that means it is always better to boost +Condition damage right? To prevent opponents dismissing your +Condition duration boost?

Sorry about the brain-dump but this is the only aspect of GW2 mechanics that I find really confusing!

Retro

Could someone please help me fully understand the major differences between Direct and Condition damage?

I think it's a tad too early to have solid data on most of that, but you might try the wiki; http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition

I will say that not all Conditions cause DoT, nor do all of them increase in duration (some stack in Intensity).

Will we get our OT today? :3

Pretty sure it's Tuesday, as that's a week from the actual launch, not the headstart.

2San

15 euro to ensure you have the best character names and can spend the entire weekend playing? Totally worth it.
My character names are always unused anyway. :F I'll use those saved 15 euro to spend on the cash shop. Seems like a better investment to me.

Retro

My character names are always unused anyway. :F I'll use those saved 15 euro to spend on the cash shop. Seems like a better investment to me.

But what about the three-day headstart? That's a mere 5 euro a day! If you think you can wait, that's fine... this thread is gonna get really quiet with nothing but screenshots and gushy "I can't believe I played until dawn"-type posts.

r4z4

I think it's a tad too early to have solid data on most of that, but you might try the wiki; http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition

Thanks Retro. I've learned the actual attribute names! Malice (+ damage) and Expertise (+ duration). The wiki answers one of my questions directly:

"When a condition is removed using a skill, the entire stack of that condition is removed."

This makes me think that Malice may become more useful than Expertise as I'm sure removing conditions will become a big part of defense strategy.

2San

But what about the three-day headstart? That's a mere 5 euro a day! If you think you can wait, that's fine... this thread is gonna get really quiet with nothing but screenshots and gushy "I can't believe I played until dawn"-type posts.
While true, I'll survive!

Victrix

*beard*
Keep an eye on the cooldowns and availability of condition removers, with rare exception, they're not something that's spammable

Competent team setups will spread them around and overlap their use to chain them, but that sort of coordination will be rare outside organized players

Violet_0

Banned
> Are there any conditions that don't do DoT? and would therefore not be enhanced by +Condition duration?
only bleeding, burning, confusion and poison deal condition damage. There are other conditions that have different effects http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Condition.
> +Condition damage increase the damage on each DoT?
yes
> +Condition duration increase the number of DoTs?
it increases the duration of all condition stacks
> If a condition like Bleed or Burn is cleared does that remove the future DoT for that specific inflicted condition or does it just prevent stacking of that condition?
condition removals clear all stacks of conditions you currently have on you
it is always better to boost +Condition damage right? To prevent opponents dismissing your +Condition duration boost?
yes, longer conditions have a higher chance of being removed (but not all conditions benefit from condition damage)

e: looks like this has been answered already, oh well

Effect

Not so bad with the downloading. Had it run yesterday from 4pm to 7pm and then from midnight to 7am and got around 9gb. One more night or two and should be done I hope. Looking like the digital version will be the way to go in the end.

epmode

I keep seeing people mention that it costs a little extra to get into the 3 day headstart but this page shows that every pre-purchase gets in 3 days early. Am I missing something? Europe is different, maybe?

Retro

I keep seeing people mention that it costs a little extra to get into the 3 day headstart but this page shows that every pre-purchase gets in 3 days early. Am I missing something? Europe is different, maybe?

As far as I've seen, all pre-purchases get the 3 day headstart.
Pre-order only gets 1 day.

dondarm

Banned
The retail version (without the headstart) is slightly cheaper in the EU. Though I'd like to know where the 15€ difference comes from, it's mostly 7€ for Germany.

2San

The retail version (without the headstart) is slightly cheaper in the EU. Though I'd like to know where the 15€ difference comes from, it's mostly 7€ for Germany.
I live in the Netherlands. Here it's 40 euro.
http://www.gamecardwinkel.nl/nl/producten/details/id/93/Guild-Wars-2

I've seen the pre-purchase for 40 euro(retail version) as well, but I was short on cash.

For other Dutchies this is a great gaming price compare site:
http://www.budgetgaming.nl/

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
yes, longer conditions have a higher chance of being removed (but not all conditions benefit from condition damage)

It is not always better to choose to increase condition damage over duration (especially crit condition builds), ie. if you're close to increasing your number of ticks, that would be more beneficial than only adding a few extra damage per tick.

I just finished EoTN and I'm currently stuck at 6 points, I tried Glint's Challenge and I'm having a hard time in that one.lol So I'm asking for an advice as to what would be the best course for me to get 5 more points to reach diamond aegis just in time before the 25th? The only other expansion I have is Factions. =(

I just finished EoTN and I'm currently stuck at 6 points, I tried Glint's Challenge and I'm having a hard time in that one.lol So I'm asking for an advice as to what would be the best course for me to get 5 more points to reach diamond aegis just in time before the 25th? The only other expansion I have is Factions. =(

Seeing that you are new with little money, you probably can't put together the 7 builds required to AFK Glint's challenge, getting 5 hero armor and capping the Black Moa chick would get you another 5 points today...

But if you can put the build together read this page the initial build uses Merc hero, but other players found a way to do with out a Merc hero, read the thread but I did this and got my EoTN hero armor...

chris-013

Cat's out of the bag for the new vocal GW2 theme: It hit the frontpage of the Guild Wars 2 reddit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOMQxVtbkik
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/ydadn/fear_not_this_night_ft_asja_full_version_gamescom/

Pretty good stuff here.

So good !

Is there any pictures out there of all the Norm and Human shapeshifts ? I cant seem to find any :(

Yogscast did a lot of coverage of the beta : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdEvtzdVl8U
I didn't know about Yogscast until I searched for GW2 :D, it's crazy because their channel have more than 1 billion views !

Complistic

6 gets you the armor. You might just want to call it finished.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just for fun, and because I'm in pain waiting for this, I'm making a list of "seriously all of these things can get you XP" in Guild Wars 2. Please let me know if I left anything out or any points need clarification. Shall be making a Gafguild thread for further discussion on this most glorious of topics, if you're registered over there.

Seriously All of These Things Can Get You XP in Guild Wars 2
Renown Hearts (closest thing GW2 has to traditional questing)
Dynamic/Meta Events- sometimes following an event chain will net you enough for well over an entire level's worth of XP if you follow itthrough.
World versus World- leveling up in PvP...? Yup. Every beneficial action you perform in WvW- killing enemy players, securing supply lines, capturing or defending a keep, all of it gets you XP.
Dungeons- replayable, can be done in either story or explorable mode, always with lots of XP
Personal Storyline- each storyline quest gets you a big ol' chunk of XP
Skill Challenges
Vistas
Daily Achievements- a set of things you can do once every day for a bunch of extra XP. I didn't know about this in time for any of the betas/stress tests, and still got enough XP from other stuff to get to ~level 20 without repeating a single event/heart, so this blew my mind.
Hidden Achievements- things like completing jumping puzzles, for instance, often get you an achievement, and those achievements get you XP.
Exploration- yes. literally JUST the exploration itself gets you XP. Go to an area you've never been before and poke around = XP. This includes cities, many of which are totally massive and have plenty of incentive to explore besides the XP. But you get it anyway.
Reviving players- taking some notes from TF2 on this one... reviving a downed player gets you more XP than killing ~10 of your average mob. Mmmm, incentivizing teamwork.
Gathering
Crafting/Cooking
oh and
Killing things- yeah, it gets you XP. But just because they couldn't even let this basic concept go without doing something awesome, allow me to explain the concept of Bonus XP: the longer a given mob has been alive in the gameworld, the more XP it is worth above baseline (you'll see a popup of Bonus XP +Whatever when you kill it). So if you go way off the beaten path to a totally unpopulated wilderness area, chances are the stuff you kill will be worth substantially more XP. Plus you can guess the relative age of creatures by how much bonus XP they're worth. :p

Just for fun, and because I'm in pain waiting for this, I'm making a list of "seriously all of these things can get you XP" in Guild Wars 2. Please let me know if I left anything out or any points need clarification. Shall be making a Gafguild thread for further discussion on this most glorious of topics, if you're registered over there.

Seriously All of These Things Can Get You XP in Guild Wars 2
Renown Hearts (closest thing GW2 has to traditional questing)
Dynamic/Meta Events- sometimes following an event chain will net you enough for well over an entire level's worth of XP if you follow itthrough.
Dungeons- replayable, can be done in either story or explorable mode, always with lots of XP
Personal Storyline- each storyline quest gets you a big ol' chunk of XP
Skill Challenges
Vistas
Daily Achievements- a set of things you can do once every day for a bunch of extra XP. I didn't know about this in time for any of the betas/stress tests, and still got enough XP from other stuff to get to ~level 20 without repeating a single event/heart, so this blew my mind.
Hidden Achievements- things like completing jumping puzzles, for instance, often get you an achievement, and those achievements get you XP.
Exploration- yes. literally JUST the exploration itself gets you XP. Go to an area you've never been before and poke around = XP. This includes cities, many of which are totally massive and have plenty of incentive to explore besides the XP. But you get it anyway.
Reviving players- taking some notes from TF2 on this one... reviving a downed player gets you more XP than killing ~10 of your average mob. Mmmm, incentivizing teamwork.
Gathering
Crafting/Cooking
oh and
Killing things- yeah, it gets you XP. But just because they couldn't even let this basic concept go without doing something awesome, allow me to explain the concept of Bonus XP: the longer a given mob has been alive in the gameworld, the more XP it is worth above baseline (you'll see a popup of Bonus XP +Whatever when you kill it). So if you go way off the beaten path to a totally unpopulated wilderness area, chances are the stuff you kill will be worth substantially more XP. Plus you can guess the relative age of creatures by how much bonus XP they're worth. :p

I think you left out World vs World PvP. Not a lot of people associate PvP with XP gain.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hah! I absolutely fucking did leave out WvW. An entire mode of the game. Just about everything helpful you can do in WvW gets you XP too. editing now...

I think you left out World vs World PvP. Not a lot of people associate PvP with XP gain.
I was amazed at the amount of XP, gold and karma WvWvW can get you in such a short amount of time, just by being part of a zerg and not dying too often. It's quicker than anything you can do in PvE.

Ferny

Wow just learned something new every today. I did not even know that.

Looking forward to meeting anyone I have not already had the pleasure of talking to in the mumble tonight. I have not been this excited about a game in forever. So much of it feels so right.

Proven

The best thing about the bonus XP is that it effects players in WvW too. If you just killed a high value target, you'll see bonus XP equal to three or four times the regular XP. If it's just some player that zerged, died, respawned, and zerged himself to death again, you're lucky if you get 6 bonus XP.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow just learned something new every today. I did not even know that.
I'm sure there are plenty more of these little touches I'm totally unaware of as well. Not that they have anything to do with XP, but the carrier pigeons and the bullet casing effects really put this concept over the top for me: the attention to detail from the team at ANet is just astounding.

The best thing about the bonus XP is that it effects players in WvW too. If you just killed a high value target, you'll see bonus XP equal to three or four times the regular XP. If it's just some player that zerged, died, respawned, and zerged himself to death again, you're lucky if you get 6 bonus XP.
Amazing. Had no clue. It's like ending someone's killstreak in a dudebro shooter. :lol

_machine

MOS (Millenium Old School) and Fureur (big, 300+ players hardcore guilds/alliances who intend to dominate WvWvW) are going to Jade Sea [FR].

http://www.fureur.org/guildwars2/40335/article/fureur-vous-annonce-son-serveur-gw2.html
http://www.millenium.org/guild-wars...ce-du-serveur-pour-millenium-old-school-73606
What is up with you and female politicians? :D

Seriously though, the hype levels are rising over here even though I haven't really been feeling the hype for a while and didn't even bother with the latest tests. Too bad I can't make it to the mumble tonight, but hopefully I'll become a regular when the game comes out :)

Top Bottom