• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Heroes AI is better than Henchmen i suggest you take them instead...

Funny - I swapped from heroes to henchmen, because people in the game told me the exact opposite you told me - that henchmen AI is better than heroes.

Either way, I'm busy setting up a party of heroes, again. Nothing like spending half an hour dragging icons in bars. I can't wait to see which ones are actually useless and probably don't even need to be in the game. :p

Funny - I swapped from heroes to henchmen, because people in the game told me the exact opposite you told me - that henchmen AI is better than heroes.

Whoever told ya that is wrong, they ain't perfect but they are better than henchmen, hero up and take on Arbor bay again you will do better also call targets Heroes follow orders, check to see who's the monk and rip them apart..

Whoever told ya that is wrong, they ain't perfect but they are better than henchmen, hero up and take on Arbor bay again you will do better also call targets Heroes follow orders, check to see who's the monk and rip them apart..

I've finished Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall now, pretty much back to back. All with heroes. Granted, I needed some help with the end of Nightfall, but I did all the rest 100% solo with Heroes. So I kinda know how to call target by now, and how to spot the monks. :p

Whoever told you henchmen were better than heroes was absolutely trolling you.

I was naive and thought perhaps the GW1 community wasn't that lame. Nobody in chat contradicted the person, several even agreed. So it seemed legit. My mistake.

Edit: I'm doing a bit better now, but it's still pretty rough. If only GW1 was more like FFXII, I could rock that gambit system easy, but this, it feels like I may as well be playing an air traffic control simulator. :p

uY2D006.jpg

One minute later:

jleseVX.jpg

>..>

BraXzy

Just done quite a bit of WvW. It was ok but really hectic, I need to get used to it but I struggled to keep up. I especially struggled to do all that much without much in the way of ranged. I'm sure I'll get more into it when I hit higher levels and I'm no longer up levelled.

Our server is winning at least! Or I think we are? xD

Emitan

It let me use the Forge this time even though nothing was different...

Just done quite a bit of WvW. It was ok but really hectic, I need to get used to it but I struggled to keep up. I especially struggled to do all that much without much in the way of ranged. I'm sure I'll get more into it when I hit higher levels and I'm no longer up levelled.

Our server is winning at least! Or I think we are? xD

I had fun running with you!

BraXzy

Time flies by so quick when playing this game. Played a good few hours of WvW, just did a jumping puzzle in one of the areas too. My main takeaway today is, don't follow Roxie, she gets me lost and or killed :L

Took a few screenies so thought I'd post em'.

Katoki

PvE Challenge: Play the game without using waypoints unless you die and need to respawn. Only use the appropriate Asura gates for long distance travel. If you die, respawn at the closest waypoint or city of choice. This is only an attempt to prevent the teleporting across of Tyria in an instant such as from dying in the Cursed Shores to get to Frostgorge Sound. You can use any abilities that give swiftness or propels you across distances though. How long you play like this is up to you but the world becomes much larger by doing so.

Have fun~

Edit: I'm doing a bit better now, but it's still pretty rough. If only GW1 was more like FFXII, I could rock that gambit system easy, but this, it feels like I may as well be playing an air traffic control simulator. :p

uY2D006.jpg

One minute later:

jleseVX.jpg

>..>

Never put your Monk heroes on guard, never... put avoid combat, see when they are on guard and if they become engage in combat they will attack once or twice, that wasted animation could be the difference between life and death, on avoid combat even when they are being attack they will run from combat and will stop to heal while running, never put any of your heroes on Attack, outside of monks the other heroes should be on guard because sometimes they will run off and aggro shit that is outside the aggro bubble...

PS:call targets all the time because the heroes are on guard not attack..

Never put your Monk heroes on guard, never... put avoid combat, see when they are on guard and if they become engage in combat they will attack once or twice, that wasted animation could be the difference between life and death, on avoid combat even when they are being attack they will run from combat and will stop to heal while running, never put any of your heroes on Attack, outside of monks the other heroes should be on guard because sometimes they will run off and aggro shit that is outside the aggro bubble...

PS:call targets all the time because the heroes are on guard not attack..

No idea why my Monks were on guard instead of avoid. I swear I put them on avoid. Does it reset them if you add/remove them from party? The game's UI can be fussy as all hell.

I had my heroes on attack in that shot as a test, but I usually run them all on guard.

And yeah, I'm always calling target, it's such a force of habit I'm also saying "Talking to NPC!" in town all the time. :p

The sad truth is more this: I just suck at Guild Wars 1. I suck at building decks. There's a reason I don't play CCGs like Magic and Pokemon - because I just plain suck at card games, always have. I even suck at Hearthstone, which is technically so casuals it should be impossible to suck. But I do. There's a reason I adore Guild Wars 2 so much, and think it the better game: because it's more my style.

That tunnel filled with undead is unusually hard so don't feel bad. I used to give people runs through that area for platinum on my assassin.

I made it through on the 2nd try, even with the death penalty. It's not that bad, it's just... so random if things work out or not.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
God damnit I miss you guys and GW2.

;_;

Going to have to start splitting my time between Dota, D3, and GW2

I made it through on the 2nd try, even with the death penalty. It's not that bad, it's just... so random if things work out or not.
This is actually why I played my warrior so much in GW1. The outcome of any combat is not very random, its mostly a matter of tactics, buffs, and placement. Body blocking is especially important here.

Although there is no technical tank in the game, you can effectively manage aggro via indirect means duh as going in first to bunch of enemies and body blocking them. "Save Yourselves" also is useful because enemies will prefer a lower armor target and SY made me the lowest armor character in the group. I'd didn't hurt that I also did the most damage thanks to having heroes cast splinter weapon and other buffs on me.

Korten

Banned
Anyone else hope that future zones are much larger than they currently are and maybe a little bit less dense? As much as I
love the world design, exploring zones feels... Not very rewarding and I don't mean actual rewards. The world is so large but yet feels so small.

GW1 managed to have both Waypoints but still feel like a fucking huge world because there wasn't so many WPs.

So basically I hope for zones are:

• Much Larger
  • Less Waypoints
  • No Hearts
  • More secrets
  • Diverse Landscapes (Too many zones in GW2 feel very flat.)

Sometimes I wish we could just have the gameplay and dynamics events of Guild Wars 2
but then take the world of Guild Wars.

I also want there to be more sense of danger, call it silly but having a need for a player to come
and help me to get to another town in GW was a very cool experience.

Hell, make the new zones full of "Elite" enemies rather than trash mobs, make it harder to
just solo it and actually want to get players together. Reward players who are willing to brave these new harsh landscapes.

I think these need to be done to make new zones worth while, I don't want a new zone to come
out and no one ever go to it because it plays like any other zone.

Whats everyone's thought on this? Or shall this just be ignored. D:

Proven

Remember Orr? Remember what people thought about Orr? Remember how they changed Orr? (I was against the changes, personally. Just dodge the damn pulls).

But maybe a tucked away area would be fine. Southsun also approximates much of what you want.

Teggy

There are SO many females in GW2 it's ridiculous.

You got a problem with my underboob?

Epic Arah P2 run tonight. I have to give it up to GAF guild for sticking in when so many other groups I have been in in this game and others would have packed it in. Got my achievement and got to see some content I hadn't seen before, can't complain.

Thorgal

With level 20 scroll and tome of knowledge it's not hard, my friend's Thief went from newly created character to level 40 in 5mins, whenever he's ready to put some work into his thief he probably reach 80 in 10 hours..

Huh .learned something new today :p

I take it those scrolls and tome are very expensive though ?

Huh .learned something new today :p

I take it those scrolls and tome are very expensive though ?

The instant level 20 scrolls come from first year birthday gift, the Tome of Knowledge=one level, he's been collecting from all sorts of events PvP track reward to WvW season 1 rewards...

All my characters are 80 but if they raise the cap by 10 i would be level 90 on my main character in 3 secs :)))

swnny

I've finished Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall now, pretty much back to back. All with heroes. Granted, I needed some help with the end of Nightfall, but I did all the rest 100% solo with Heroes. So I kinda know how to call target by now, and how to spot the monks. :p

I was naive and thought perhaps the GW1 community wasn't that lame. Nobody in chat contradicted the person, several even agreed. So it seemed legit. My mistake.

uY2D006.jpg

One minute later:

jleseVX.jpg

>..>

I haven't played GW1's PvE for some time now (only joining few RAs from time to time) and there may be some new meta builds, but I've always hated to play meta and mostly used my PvP build setups for PvE as well.
With that said, looking at your heroes' bars, I can say they ain't good.
Mostly your monks do not have any sort of energy management. I always liked how leech signet and power drain (both are mesmer skills) worked for both my healer and protector (and from what I'm seeing you have a healer and a smiter). Also Channeling (another mesmer skill) is a great enchantment to manage your (or your hero's) energy.
Add the ritualist's spirit of life to your mesmer (mostly for the fast cast) and that will keep off most of the pressure.
These two simple adjustments will boost your entire party effectiveness by a lot, mostly because they wont die so easily.

Also, half your warriors builds are filled with high cost hexes with long cast times. That's not a good idea. There is a necromancer hex (parasite if I recall correctly), that steals (?) heal everytime the hexed enemy is hit in melee. You could brainstorm something in that direction.

If you want, I can dig out my build templates and post you some of my setups.

Looking at miktar's hero bars... I agree with swnny. Some of yhat really is not so good. Some of those skills are especially bad for hero use (AI won't use it effectively).

I have several hero builds that are fairly low-maintenance so you can focus on just playing. Most of the time, all you have to do is flag them to get away or stay back.

Fortunately, since you are done with all the main games, you can buy any non-elite skill in the game. EotN added no new skills (except pve skills)

Miktar..
As Swnny stated your hero builds ain't great..

Some hero templates i ran when i played..

Create a text document for each code, copy, name it, save it..
Healer Hero
OwAS0YITaEZE/OgRgEfE5goR
It's up to you if you want a prot hero but this build works AI handles it perfectly.
Protection Hero Monk
OwUTMmHD55uWPgCBEBSdrgITAA
Hero Minion Master
OANDUspNOANqwU4oiHUEYEZC
Hero Mesmer
OQNDApwTO0gpnpLHwByAL/WC

Hero Warrior
OQASEZJP81qCUB8pUmKrlgC

My ranger is a interrupt build never used my ranger hero unless it needed it..
Hero Ranger
OgMSc5MTuSzGPGqGfhCHrGyE

Hero Ele

OgNCoMzCugM0Nx009Cw0SA

Hero Paragon
OQOjUymLqNxYGc92HDjlJBZFMA

Hero Dervish
OgOjkqrK7Os3v7419Ogxu0XZCA

Never used a Hero Assassin so never made one :( some of these builds are dated since i didn't use all those Heroes, usually had 2 Ele, Warrior, MM, 2 monks, and a Mesmer hero..

If you don't have these sites they can help.. for skill location and boss location if you have to cap elites to finish the builds..

Guild Wars Build site tons of build probably have better hero builds than mines.

GW wiki better than the official Wiki..

For the Hero healer you want to Micro mange Heal Party skill sometimes AI just want's to waste energy...

PS:If the templates don't show up the first time reload the game it should be there after a reload...

mingus

With level 20 scroll and tome of knowledge it's not hard, my friend's Thief went from newly created character to level 40 in 5mins, whenever he's ready to put some work into his thief he probably reach 80 in 10 hours..

i think the achievement here is that this guy got to 80 in a brand new game. nobody has had a birthday yet, crafting materials are scarce, dungeons are just being explored, and tomes are probably hard to come by.

What are the easiest jp puzzles ever

Under Construction in South Sun. It's like, 1 minute.

After that, I'd say Professor Portmatt's Lab, Urmaug's Secret, Shaman's Rookery, Behem Gauntlet, Spelunker's Delve, and Demongrub Pits.

With that said, looking at your heroes' bars, I can say they ain't good. [...]
These two simple adjustments will boost your entire party effectiveness by a lot, mostly because they wont die so easily. [...]
If you want, I can dig out my build templates and post you some of my setups.

Yeah, like I said earlier - I've never been good at the deck building part of GW1. I'll try out some of your advice.

Some of those skills are especially bad for hero use (AI won't use it effectively).

I have several hero builds that are fairly low-maintenance so you can focus on just playing. Most of the time, all you have to do is flag them to get away or stay back.

Now how am I supposed to k now what skills heroes will or will not use effectively? Does the game tell me that anywhere? Or am I just supposed to smell it. :p

I'd appreciate looking at your hero builds though.

Some hero templates i ran when i played..

Thanks, I'll try these. I tried using http://gwpvx.gamepedia.com/PvX_wiki before, but every single build I looked at involved skills I don't have, or heros I don't have. The game has almost no resources for people who haven't already spend a thousand hours in it and captured every elite.

EDIT: Loaded up your templates. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, in terms of missing skills:

L9Yjurf.jpg

I'll spend some time today trying to figure out how to get the ones missing from each.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Aquatic Ruins fractal is bugged. It always crashes once you swim deep into the ruins or the deep waters.

i think the achievement here is that this guy got to 80 in a brand new game. nobody has had a birthday yet, crafting materials are scarce, dungeons are just being explored, and tomes are probably hard to come by.

Probably used the support of a guild - happened a lot in WoW, and in GW2 actually. World First Legendary crafted was in a week or something, because an entire guild worked together so one person to get it, and claim world first.

Trey

Some french guy at launch got 80 within the day by crafting. His guild gave him all the mats and money needed.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
tbqh it feels like you only need them at higher levels. Sticking to versatile agony infusion is fine.

mingus

Some french guy at launch got 80 within the day by crafting. His guild gave him all the mats and money needed.

Probably used the support of a guild - happened a lot in WoW, and in GW2 actually. World First Legendary crafted was in a week or something, because an entire guild worked together so one person to get it, and claim world first.

all valid points, still an achievement given that the game just came out and the guy didn't have the benefit of lvl 20 scrolls or level tomes.

t18f2GF.jpg

Bam! Got everything except Panic, which is going to be a bit more difficult since I've not finished Prophecies on this character, but on my Warrior. I might go try and nab the skill that way anyway.

Even while their skillbars were only half full, this team was already rocking through things I had trouble with before.

Thank ye very kindly, Nemesis121. This is going to be a *great* help.

Zeroth

Fine Infusions are a pain for lazy people like me I guess!

ripoeea1.png

You will only need infusions for fractals, so the best is really to just do fractals and buy simple infusions with fractal relics. The only people who go for these infusions are the ones with ascended gear that already maxed their AR and are looking for something on top of it.

Emitan

You will only need infusions for fractals, so the best is really to just do fractals and buy simple infusions with fractal relics. The only people who go for these infusions are the ones with ascended gear that already maxed their AR and are looking for something on top of it.

The +5 Agony Resistance ones?

Now how am I supposed to k now what skills heroes will or will not use effectively? Does the game tell me that anywhere? Or am I just supposed to smell it. :p
Heroes are bad at traps and skills that have some kind of mitigation factor to balance their power (like spamming heal party).
Here is my templates:
Warrior build:
OQoiExpMZXIU0c1pVJaU8XxXBA Warrior's Endurance+Power Attack=damage spam

Mesmer:
OQBDAYwjSEO9UcQIg5ZZA9AOAA illusion mesmer, debuffs and interupts. Elite mixes well with panic mesmer for a painful display of ineptitude from enemy AI.
OQBDAowjK0gG0EmeOkBEBKA Panic mesmer, a nasty, nasty skill that wrecks pve

Monk:
OwAT0wHDVam4ual4BkiY6LgANCA -General use protection monk. Group heals, conditoin and hex removal, and damage mitigation.
OwUTMsGDXqBcj4uRjYTb6rHANCA --Simple heal monk with cond removal and rez
OwUTMs2C5xLuRm+dxLy3rHgGBA --Divine power healer build. Lots of hex removal in here with single and party heals. Everything is cheap so minimal energy management needed.

Paragon:
OQGjUxlIqOV4e8bhrkuDAub5NA --Party-wide damage reducer. Minimal damage increase. Most effective if party has source(s) of burning.

Ritualist:
OACiEykM1sJNN5MMNO9MxJexAA --Party healer with strong single target heals. Works nicely with other ritualists.
OACiAyk8EM/mnto9jz6BNdmA --A mixture of offense and defense. Ritual lord makes it so you can supercharge your spirits.

Necromancer:
---Curses
OAhjYwHc4Q2BfClB5B7OJgVVJXA --General curse necromancer. Moar debuffs and damage. Not recommended with illusion or panic mesmers.
--Minion masters:
OAhjUwGZYSbhyBTBVVNbTOSTXMA --Aura of the lich is a powerful minion making elite. As minions die, they provide the necromancer energy to cast more spells. Restoration spells are swapable for other stuff, but it's a useful support build.
OANEUsl98JtFKHMFMRM99SEQUVB --Similar build, but with protection spells instead of healing.
--Support
OAhjYghsoSWbYMSTTOcijTVVXMA --General purpose healer with access to large amounts of energy thanks to soul reaping.

Elementalist:
OgBCoMzjfWX008F9idBugWA--General purpose damage. Fire good. Goes very well with Paragon.

Ranger:
OgkjcxZs5M5Wc9jR1AbKOj4VDA --General purpose damage. The aria is optional but very useful in a caster group
OgkjclZsZSLGghPGfhFHWYXYYHA --Barrage ranger. Works best with another ranger or 2 thanks to the spirit. Lots of aoe damage and some party support.

Retro

Anyone else hope that future zones are much larger than they currently are and maybe a little bit less dense? As much as I
love the world design, exploring zones feels... Not very rewarding and I don't mean actual rewards. The world is so large but yet feels so small.

The world seems especially small because it is also very convenient. All of the WvW maps feel large because there's only one waypoint that's always available. EotM is the same way. Orr used to feel the same way before they responded to complaints and made it easier. It's funny seeing this comment so close to Katoki's own about not using waypoints and how much larger it makes the game feel.

As far as future zones feeling small and flat, I think EotM, Labyrinthine Cliffs and (to a lesser degree) Southsun Cove all show how much more involved the next full-sized zone will be. Even something like the Ruins of Power in WvW stand out as much more complex terrain than what was around at launch. I'm not worried about the quality of new maps at all, spending a half hour in EotM puts those concerns to rest.

As for being more dangerous, I can't say. I know what I would like to see, but I don't know that it gels with ArenaNet's all-inclusive design. I felt Orr was fine the way it was, both in terms of size (it feels like a huge city) and difficult (it's essentially Mordor, and everyone knows one does not simply walk in there). I think that with Megaservers the original Orr would be acceptable now.

In my mind, the ideal new zone would be completely hostile wilderness. If you step outside the safe zone, there are invsible things in the jungle that straight up insta-gib you. There would be dynamic events zone-wide to push into the zone in teams; clear cutting paths and establishing roads, building fortifications, establishing supply chains. On the ground, in the rain, fighting off things rushing out of the trees or dropping out of the canopy while you defend Dolyaks bringing supplies to the front.

Southsun had that, but all in the space of an afternoon and it felt terribly rushed and unrealistic. In my mind, it would be set up so that a server that's really making the effort to get these event chains done would have the zone unlocked in a couple days, but after a week or two everyone just gets it unlocked automatically. Then it becomes a regular zone, still dangerous but safe enough to explore.

I think people would lose their shit that they have to work to unlock the zone or wait for it to unlock, but I'd love it, the idea of zone you can't just walk through collecting waypoints and POIs holds a lot of appeal to me. I want a scenario where the wilderness has to be tamed, by force. Where you aren't just escorting troops through the jungle because it's an event to get karma, but because not traveling with them would be almost certain death.

I don't think it'll ever happen, sadly.

t18f2GF.jpg

Bam! Got everything except Panic, which is going to be a bit more difficult since I've not finished Prophecies on this character, but on my Warrior. I might go try and nab the skill that way anyway.

Even while their skillbars were only half full, this team was already rocking through things I had trouble with before.

Thank ye very kindly, Nemesis121. This is going to be a *great* help.

Nab Panic on your Warrior Heroes learn every skill your account has unlocked..

swnny

Here's what I've had last:
Templates:
Koss: OQkjElUpJP+FAzUjv2X2KXldMA
Melonni: OgCjkirKLPM3mb5d8KeF3uX2LA
Livia: OANDUspPOAtjaVYRgHCI1jqK
Gwen: OQhkAYC8wFmjb7C0EEc9gMw48iB
Vekk: OgljowMpZO0txaTDZsLwF0idMA
Tahlkora: OwUTMwHD1ZlQRCI1DtYGoHYCAA
Dunkoro: OwUUMwG/OISaENgTfbEBEZA9AmAA

Some of the PvP veterans from GW1 could recognize that these builds are more PvP oriented(like the dedicated healer and protector and their energy management with Channeling, which was essential in HA and GvG), but that's what I said in my last post - I hate playing meta builds and as a mostly PvP player myself, I used my PvP experience in PvE. It's not as optimal as some Spirit Spam builds or some SpeedRunning setups, but it does the job just fine.

And, unlike Miktar, I L-O-V-E the "desk building" aspect of GW1 and still enjoy "brainstorming" builds in GW2, but that's kinda limited. :/
And I will do some brainstorming here as well. :)
The GW1's builds that Nemesis121 linked are overall great for what they are supposed to do, but there are at least two things that are out of place.

Firstly, and that's really, really bad usage of the "Rebirth" spell. It have long cast time, removes all of caster's energy, and revives the ally with only 25% HP, 0 energy and locked skills (for like 5 seconds, if I recall correctly). It have so many drawbacks, its only advantage to teleport the target ally to the caster is pretty much useless (except for some hard boss encounters, like the last 2-3 missions of Prophecies for example). A lot better option is the Ritualist's Flesh of my Flesh. It resucrets the target with half the caster's HP, 20% Energy and the caster loses his half of health. Much more efficient in situations where a party member can die just because. :D

Secondly, the "Remove Hex" spell, (Zhed, Vekk and Gwen's 8th skill) it only removes a hex... A better option is "Cure Hex", because it heals for a good amount and it has slightly increased cooldown, but same energy cost.

And just as a side note, because I'm not sure if I'm right, but Healing Breeze never seemed as a good skill for heroes, again because of the high energy cost and heroes' lack of energy management.
As I played high level HA and top rated GvG as a healer ("fuse", from the combo of Healer's Boon and Infuse Health) and "Energy management" (which is an absolute must to do decent) is one of my all time favorite mechanics, that's why I put so much emphasis on it. Of course, heroes do not change weapon sets to preserve energy, do not fake cast, etc, etc, but still - sacrificing a healing skill or two for a way to gain some amount of extra energy is better imo. And that's my last remark, mostly for Tahlkora's build, because Dunkoro already have Ether Feast.

P.S. Damn, I really miss brainstorming for GW1... and this discussion only teased me hard. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom