• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korten

Banned
Took some screenshots of GW1...

WIDs9s2.jpg

Ahhh.... The old Rata Sum, how different it looked back then.

2TgJzz2.jpg

Then we got this guy... I wonder when we're going to fight him in GW2.

BraXzy

Guild Wars 1 is more like a card game, like Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, or Magic (or Hearthstone), in that you build "decks" of skills for your party of characters. Then you take those decks into the field, and see how they do when matched up against the decks of skills enemies throw at you. It makes more sense in the game, really.

- http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars

Thanks for the info. Would you recommend that Wiki for reading up on the lore or is there somewhere better?

Fastest Missions Ever.
- Started at 9:15
- Crystal challenge done extremely quick, ~4 minutes.
- Proxemics Lab went perfectly, only one left behind (Broos Wahane =)
- Sotzz Bounty practically insta-gibbed.
- Chicken Rush done by 10:25

Mission Makeups are tomorrow at 3pm Eastern, even if you got your comms tonight, volunteers to help others get theirs is much appreciated.

Bazaar of the Four Winds and the Queen's Jubilee are back on Tuesday.

Thanks for coming, everyone.

Darn, I'm annoyed I missed it, was out and about :(

Are mission makeups like a catch up for those who missed or something?

Thanks for the info. Would you recommend that Wiki for reading up on the lore or is there somewhere better?

The wiki is pretty much the best place to read up on all the lore, people have done a great job getting it all in there and written up nicely.

Do we have a GAF Guild Wars... Guild? I'm not going to play GW1 that much but I do want to play and get a nostalgic overload.

Like Lions Arch... Rata Sum....

Not that I'm aware off. Though I do wonder, if more and more people are going to get back into GW1 (I want to finish EotN so I've still got a few weeks ahead of me at least), I wonder if we shouldn't resurrect the original OT just so we're not spamming up this thread?

BraXzy

The Charr personal story is better when you imagine it as Starship Troopers.

I really need to go back to my personal story. (Norn here) I'm level 30 something and haven't done anything with it since I was level 10. Is it a major part of the game?

I think me playing GW1 has accidentally triggered another psychic halcyon yearning in GW1 players, because reddit is filling up with "I miss GW1 it was so much better everything new is bad everything old is good" posts. :p

Jira

I think me playing GW1 has accidentally triggered another psychic halcyon yearning in GW1 players, because reddit is filling up with "I miss GW1 it was so much better everything new is bad everything old is good" posts. :p

It's just nostalgia. As good as GW1 was for the time, comparing the two games is pointless as they're not the same type of game (CO-ORPG vs MMORPG). Though I do wish a company would make a game just like GW1, but in nearly 10 years no one has and it's so odd considering it's one of the best selling video games of all time. You'd think someone would have jumped on the bandwagon real quick.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You sure? Maybe it's because I created an account, but the first stuff I uploaded, a whole year and a half ago, is still there.
Same, anything high-resolution I use minus with my actual account, stuff from 2 years ago is still there.

Levyne

Banned
I remember that I could not figure out how to even make a minus account, everything seemed to link to some weird chat app or something. However, logging in with my twitter account seems to have worked fine and that's where I've been uploading images.

Moondrop

Banned
I really need to go back to my personal story. (Norn here) I'm level 30 something and haven't done anything with it since I was level 10. Is it a major part of the game?
Well, it really fills in the backstory from all the different racial and order perspectives. But it's in no way essential to playing the game.

Korten

Banned
The wiki is pretty much the best place to read up on all the lore, people have done a great job getting it all in there and written up nicely.

Not that I'm aware off. Though I do wonder, if more and more people are going to get back into GW1 (I want to finish EotN so I've still got a few weeks ahead of me at least), I wonder if we shouldn't resurrect the original OT just so we're not spamming up this thread?

That could be good, I wouldn't mind if we started doing stuff in it. Such as getting the HoM achivements that I personally never got in GW1.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I might also be a little late back. If the missions start after 3.15 ish I'd really appreciate it!
Unfortunately I have to leave early, let me log on and see if anybody will be online that could run things starting at 3:15

Remfin

Is there actually a decent way to buy GW1 now? It looks like its still a mash-up of random editions at original retail prices (except the very first release has stuff like GOTY or Platinum).

Teggy

Is there actually a decent way to buy GW1 now? It looks like its still a mash-up of random editions at original retail prices (except the very first release has stuff like GOTY or Platinum).

Trilogy + Eye of the North will get you everything on Steam. It is surprisingly expensive at this point, $50 for everything. It's been on sale before, though, if you can hold out for the summer sale.

BraXzy

ouch, sorry everybody I stayed as long as I could. we almost had that last crystal attempt.

I was useless in that. Ahh well. Once I'm level 80 at least I won't need to worry about weighing down some guild missions :L

Thanks for waiting for me.. the rush this time was a lot easier than the spider one last time. Yay for Guild Comm's!

Retro

ouch, sorry everybody I stayed as long as I could. we almost had that last crystal attempt.

Yeah, sorry about missing challenge comms this week, seemed like a combination of too many people with cannons (not enough people clearing out mobs) and some latency where missiles were still hitting after we called for people to break off. Crab toss was lacking support, but we take what we can get for Makeups. We were also a bit shorthanded this week, I don't think we had a full dozen.

Puzzle went smoothly, we actually dragged another guild through behind us and they were most appreciative (a few of their people just couldn't make the jumps and needed to be portaled). Bounty went smoothly thanks to another Sotzz roll + hardcore knockbacks (I don't think he was drunk for more than a few seconds of that fight). Bear rush went smoothly and everyone got through okay.

Nice work. Update Tuesday, for any new or returning players, the Bazaar of the Four Winds is easily my favorite update (yes, even more than Super Adventure Box, which even I wouldn't think is possible). Enjoy yourselves, soak it all in. It only comes around once a year and it's better than Christmas.

Mxrz

I miss that T-rex boss. No matter how leet we became, thing would eat at least one party member every time we ran that dungeon.

(Wtf happen to all the dinosaurs? Did the raptors eat everything else.)

BraXzy

Nice work. Update Tuesday, for any new or returning players, the Bazaar of the Four Winds is easily my favorite update (yes, even more than Super Adventure Box, which even I wouldn't think is possible). Enjoy yourselves, soak it all in. It only comes around once a year and it's better than Christmas.

This release damn well better live up to all the hype everyone is surrounding it with! xD

When does it run till?

Retro

This release damn well better live up to all the hype everyone is surrounding it with! xD

When does it run till?

In the past, the first update of the month sets the 'theme' and lasts a month, then something new is added two weeks in that follows the theme and ends two weeks later.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Better than SAB!?

Oh my. I will need to be a part of this.

Lunar15

I really enjoyed Sanctum Sprint.

I loved everything about the Bazaar, hands down the best update. Glad it's coming back around, but I hope that one day they'll actually top it with something else.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
southsun survival in the rotation is basically the hunger royale. except it had golems. i want the golems

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Just watched some videos of Sanctum Sprint.

Color me hyped. This will be fun.

Retro

Better than SAB!?

Oh my. I will need to be a part of this.

SAB gave me a serious case of the warm and fuzzies because it is essentially a playable homage to retro gaming without being a remake or tied explicitly to any particular franchise. The coconut-throwing monkeys would fit in just about any game from 1980-1995, because they're just that kind of thing that made sense in videogames from that era. Same with the snakes, spiders, etc., they're all generic enough that you can point to a dozen different games that use them. Great music, great rewards, great reward pacing (just fun enough to run through a ton, but you got what you wanted out of it without turning it into a farming experience). I love everything about it, but it has absolutely nothing to do with Guild Wars 2 other than the fact that you have to play GW2 to play SAB.

Bazaar of the Four Winds is all Guild Wars 2, from the tiniest turquoise tidepool to the highest sun-soaked spire. For all the spell casting and dragon slaying, most MMOs (and Guild Wars 2 is no exception to this) feel like they take place in a still fairly realistic version of Medieval Europe. GW2 at least has tropical areas, but Kryta could be Germany, the Shiverpeaks Scandinavia, and Ascalon could be the Balkans in autumn.

On the other hand, the Bazaar feels like the kind of place you could only visit in a dream or a fantasy. No one would ever build a bamboo city on cliffs and pillars of stone like that, but it's cool as all hell to imagine what it would be like. And on top of that, it's just a joy to explore because of the way you move about it. I don't want to spoil it for first timers, but there's no zone in any MMO that lets you move around in such a pleasant, bouncy way without cheapening the experience (that is, there are games with flying, but then it just feels like you're swimming in air and there's nothing exciting about it)

It's just a fantastic bit of world building that's just a joy to play in, and that's why it wins out.

Just watched some videos of Sanctum Sprint.

Color me hyped. This will be fun.

Sanctum Sprint is still in the game. Now imagine those abilities outside of a race, but in that same kind of environment.

Eeeeeee, two more days. Godzilla tomorrow, Bazaar Tuesday. Wife picked a fuckin' sweet week to be on vacation.

BraXzy

In the past, the first update of the month sets the 'theme' and lasts a month, then something new is added two weeks in that follows the theme and ends two weeks later.

Wow that's awesome, I thought it'd be a week max. How often do releases like this come around then? I've only been around for two weeks so I haven't a clue.

Retro

Wow that's awesome, I thought it'd be a week max. How often do releases like this come around then? I've only been around for two weeks so I haven't a clue.

From Launch in August 2012 up until March 2013, it was one update a month. Then they kicked the Living Story off and it was an update every two weeks, and that went on uninterrupted until December, when they took a month off for Christmas. Two-week updates started again in late January and kept going right up to March 2014 when Season One ended. Then another month off, then the Feature update. It's been a month since then.

We don't know what their release cadence will be from here on out. They've said that they'd like to do smaller, shorter seasons with Feature Packs between them to make the gaps more bearable, but we don't know exactly how long they're talking. This next update isn't really part of the Living Story so much as it's just returning holidays coming back early (Bazaar was originally July, Queen's Jubilee in August).

Personally, I think they're doing them now so that the Living Story isn't interrupted by them later. It was very odd to go from "Scarlet is doing bad things!" to "Oh, here's Super Adventure Box, forget Scarlet for a week!"

BraXzy

From Launch in August 2012 up until March 2013, it was one update a month. Then they kicked the Living Story off and it was an update every two weeks, and that went on uninterrupted until December, when they took a month off for Christmas. Two-week updates started again in late January and kept going right up to March 2014 when Season One ended. Then another month off, then the Feature update. It's been a month since then.

We don't know what their release cadence will be from here on out. They've said that they'd like to do smaller, shorter seasons with Feature Packs between them to make the gaps more bearable, but we don't know exactly how long they're talking. This next update isn't really part of the Living Story so much as it's just returning holidays coming back early (Bazaar was originally July, Queen's Jubilee in August).

Personally, I think they're doing them now so that the Living Story isn't interrupted by them later. It was very odd to go from "Scarlet is doing bad things!" to "Oh, here's Super Adventure Box, forget Scarlet for a week!"

Living Story is the huge quest line that everyone is a part of right? I'm annoyed that I've jumped in so late and missed so much. I wanted to get this at launch but didn't have the time to dedicate to it. I still don't tbf, the half price made me cave xD

It feels weird hearing everyone talk about all these events that have happened and such since I'm yet to experience it. I'm resisting YouTubing it all so I don't spoil it for myself.

Seil

Living Story is the huge quest line that everyone is a part of right? I'm annoyed that I've jumped in so late and missed so much. I wanted to get this at launch but didn't have the time to dedicate to it. I still don't tbf, the half price made me cave xD

It feels weird hearing everyone talk about all these events that have happened and such since I'm yet to experience it. I'm resisting YouTubing it all so I don't spoil it for myself.

If you're refraining from looking up videos(or reading up on) of past Living Story content, there's no need seeing as it's all in the past and is done with. In fact, it could be beneficial since then you would know the current state of affairs. However, for seasonal things like the upcoming Bazaar, I can understand holding yourself back.

Retro

MMOs have a problem in that content takes a long time to make, is quickly devoured and then never visited again. In a traditional MMO, players would out-level a zone and never have a reason to go back. In GW2, the content is time-based instead of level-based, but the end result is still that you only see it for a short period of time and then never go back. At least old MMOs didn't remove the zones, but part of the appeal of the Living Story is that cool new things are happening, telling a story that leaves the game ever-changing. That's one of the things MMOs are supposed to be all about and outside of sandbox games, have failed to deliver on up until GW2.

The best option would be some way to replay past events. Fractals are a great way to do Living Story dungeons, but some way to replay the story and see stuff again would be great. Maybe that's what that "Switch to Personal Story" thing that was data-mined a while ago was about.

If you want to see it, Youtube it, but wait until after Tuesday because the Bazaar is worth seeing in person, with fresh eyes. You better tell me when you're getting on to see it, I need to vicariously visit it for the first time again.

SeZMehK

It's been a while since I last played so I was updating the game. I can't seem to get the patch. I keep getting the "Connection error(s) detected. Retrying..." It never reconnects. This error is really annoying. Does anyone know what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom