• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I wait for BWE to be announced and it happens to be the 20th, can I still pre purchase like the 19th and still get in? Mouse is hovered over the buy button.

I would assume so. They have not said if and when the pre-purchase would end. I would assume they would just keep it going till the game releases, when the pre-purchase just becomes a regular purchase.

Retro

I really hope their servers are ready to take in all the people who prepurchased.

Would be terrible to have 1 beta weekend per month if you slapped down cash and then just to have that fail :p

I know "It's a Beta!" is used to justify all sorts of calamities and excuse less-then-stellar performance pre-launch, but ArenaNet really is using these events for actual Beta testing, unlike other MMOs that use it as a sneak preview or marketing ploy.

So, you know, if the servers aren't stable or there are problems, don't flip out; you pre-purchased to test the game and maybe have fun as a side-effect, but the goal is still to get people on, get people playing, and test the game before launch.

Did they post any numbers for pre-purchase or something? I'm sort of curious how many people pre-purchased just to see how many will be participating in the beta.

I was hoping we'd hear something yesterday, since it was the first Monday since pre-purchase started. I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting to hit a certain number before announcing it. They kind of let the Open Registration thing run a little long to hit the one million mark, as you'll recall.

The reason I justify a CE on a game like GW2 . . is because the game is free after you buy it.

Guess you ain't read the micro-transaction updates then?

No, but I bet he can tell the difference between a mandatory subscription fee and an optional cash shop.

If I wait for BWE to be announced and it happens to be the 20th, can I still pre purchase like the 19th and still get in? Mouse is hovered over the buy button.

From Facebook:
Many of our community members are asking about how long the pre-purchase offer will last.

Pre-purchase will run up until shortly before launch. However, we also want to maintain a high quality of service for those who have pre-purchased and are participating in the Beta Weekend Events.

With that in mind, if we max out our beta server capacity, we may *temporarily* make pre-purchase unavailable until we can bring more capacity online. Bottom line is if you want to participate in the Beta Weekend Events, don’t wait. ~RB2

somesang

Thanks for the info guys. And thanks Retro for the facebook info.

Looks like I may end up pre purchasing real soon. Hype is building. I'm still waiting for a MOP beta invite after getting that annual pass that I'm regretting hard for that game I don't want to talk about.

ShaneB

Need this game :( Need some co-op good times. Diablo 3 will be a fun distraction, but having the MMO part of GW2 will be much more engaging... plus it's nice and colourful. :p

Started playing L4D2 as well just to have some fun again with co-op and enjoying team stuff.

Need this game :( Need some co-op good times. Diablo 3 will be a fun distraction, but having the MMO part of GW2 will be much more engaging... plus it's nice and colourful. :p

Started playing L4D2 as well just to have some fun again with co-op and enjoying team stuff.

Oh come on, the wait isn't that long! =P

BWE next weekend (assumed), and a few more weeks = Diablo 3. I've been going back to ME3 co-op multiplayer for a chance at those new characters.

ShaneB

Oh come on, the wait isn't that long! =P

BWE next weekend (assumed), and a few more weeks = Diablo 3. I've been going back to ME3 co-op multiplayer for a chance at those new characters.

Heh, fair enough, all good points. I guess I'm glad to enough to realize I haven't been waiting as long as some of the people here have been.

Few more weeks is Diablo 3 like you said, and that will suck away the hours.

I keep forgetting about ME3, lol, maybe I'll get back to playing that and L4D2. edit: well maybe not forgetting, maybe trying to forget the ending. heh

Ashodin

Mmm yes the weekend of the 27th. All systems are go, then!

Oh and the podcast will be delayed until Thursday - a lot of people who want to speak for it are unavailable today or their time would be cut short.

So in the interest of keeping people available I'm gonna delay it till then.

Have fun today everyone!

Alright, alright - back on topic.

Since the 27th is the 7 year anniversary of GW1 beta:

http://imgur.com/a/DkpT5#17

What are you mainly going to test out? I'll be exploring cities mainly, and probably attempt to find as many dynamic events as possible. I don't plan on power leveling or anything.

Oh crap, that garrison is burning! Chaaaaarge!

Zareth

What are you mainly going to test out? I'll be exploring cities mainly, and probably attempt to find as many dynamic events as possible. I don't plan on power leveling or anything.

I'm going to focus on trying out the classes I want to play to make sure I enjoy playing them, and some light exploring as well.

mostly exploration. haven't done that much in an MMO with those linear quests and all from other games. and try to spot some unknown areas i guess.

Probably try out PVP with as many classes as I can.

But my answer keeps changing. I really have no clue what I'm going to do.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Probably try out PVP with as many classes as I can.

But my answer keeps changing. I really have no clue what I'm going to do.

Play with me! One thing I encourage people to do is try and avoid doing the personal stories sort of if you're planning on playing with other people. The zones are tied to races and if you and your friend are playing different races then it's going to be hard to pursue the Personal Stories.

alazz

Exploration was a lot of fun in GW, and I managed to get over 80% of Tyria, so I'm going to find some cool locales and maybe level a bit, too.

Man, that launch GUI brings back some memories.

Play with me! One thing I encourage people to do is try and avoid doing the personal stories sort of if you're planning on playing with other people. The zones are tied to races and if you and your friend are playing different races then it's going to be hard to pursue the Personal Stories.

Yeah, this is easier to avoid for me as Asura and Sylvari aren't playable(that we know of). I originally planned on playing a prof I wasn't interested in with Charr(also not interested in them) to avoid stuff I will actually do later on, but I think I will spend a lot of time in pvp. Will still probably end up playing a Charr Necro or Engi PVE a good amount too.

Yea the rumor is fake indeed, they are only stress testing us instead ;(

Well, they didn't mention GW3...

ShaneB

I'd like to say I'd love to avoid seeing lots of content, and leave what I can for release, but I doubt I'll contain myself.

I'll try out each class at least and see what style I'll go with.

Trey

I'd like to say I'd love to avoid seeing lots of content, and leave what I can for release, but I doubt I'll contain myself.

I'll try out each class at least and see what style I'll go with.

You mean you'll confirm how inferior each class is to the master profession Elementalist, yeah?

Retro

What are you mainly going to test out?

I haven't decided whether I want to play a Warrior or Guardian yet, so I will likely play both classes equally to try and get a feel for which one I want to be my 'main'. Right now I'm leaning towards Warrior but Guardian also holds a lot of appeal to me.

I will probably roll a Norn or Charr because I want to keep the Human starting area fresh for launch. My wife and I are both rolling humans, most likely.

Saberj

Neo Member
I know "It's a Beta!" is used to justify all sorts of calamities and excuse less-then-stellar performance pre-launch, but ArenaNet really is using these events for actual Beta testing, unlike other MMOs that use it as a sneak preview or marketing ploy.

Normally I would agree with you on that point. But, and correct me if I'm wrong on this point, don't you have to completely pre-purchase the game to be guaranteed access to the beta? The point could be made that if they are going to require payment in order to get 100% confirmed beta access that there is going to be a major expectation that everyone at least be able to play. If it turns out that the servers can't handle the numbers they have coming in, that's going to be a pretty big problem.

Now once you get in, all bets are off. But again, if I'm paying this far in advance, I'm doing it FOR beta access. They should at least ensure that everyone is able to login and play. JMO.

I haven't decided whether I want to play a Warrior or Guardian yet, so I will likely play both classes equally to try and get a feel for which one I want to be my 'main'. Right now I'm leaning towards Warrior but Guardian also holds a lot of appeal to me.

I will probably roll a Norn or Charr because I want to keep the Human starting area fresh for launch. My wife and I are both rolling humans, most likely.

I've asked my friends on what they'll be playing...some Charr, some human, one Sylvari, one Norn, and no love for Asura at all. Give the short snarks some love!

ShaneB

You mean you'll confirm how inferior each class is to the master profession Elementalist, yeah?

We'll see :p I really don't want to play a Warrior, but that draw of the big weapon is always appealing to me. But Elemntalist and Guardian do seem really cool, as do a bunch of the classes really.

Also, glad to see the Asura love! Forever the underdog!

Jira

whoever has the best clothing that's the class i'm going with.

You can wear any gear within the armor type that your profession can wear. For example you could wear all cloth armor in the game as an Elementalist, even if it looks like it was made for a Necromancer. There's no profession specific armors. There are some racial specific armors though.

So, I try to log into the client everyday cause I'm really weird. Earlier today I was getting "Check your Internet connection" and now I'm getting "Operation cannot be completed. Try again in a few minutes." Something is afoot...

Probably not...

Jira

So, I try to log into the client everyday cause I'm really weird. Earlier today I was getting "Check your Internet connection" and now I'm getting "Operation cannot be completed. Try again in a few minutes." Something is afoot...

Probably not...

That client is useless for the BWE, you'll have to download the new one. I'm going to assume they just want everyone to redownload the dat file when it comes time just to make sure everyone is on the same page. There's no reason their current launcher can't do checksums and whatnot because it already does do that.

That client is useless for the BWE, you'll have to download the new one. I'm going to assume they just want everyone to redownload the dat file when it comes time just to make sure everyone is on the same page. There's no reason their current launcher can't do checksums and whatnot because it already does do that.

This is confirmed? I thought they said the client is the same throughout BWEs. It worked for the stress test.

Kade

I decided that that I'll give the GAF guild a chance, but if this one dies within a month or two like the others, never again. (I said this with WAR, SWTOR and Rift but I keep getting pulled into the cycle!)

You can wear any gear within the armor type that your profession can wear. For example you could wear all cloth armor in the game as an Elementalist, even if it looks like it was made for a Necromancer. There's no profession specific armors. There are some racial specific armors though.

yeah but who wears it the best! that's the class i'm going with!

Retro

Normally I would agree with you on that point. But, and correct me if I'm wrong on this point, don't you have to completely pre-purchase the game to be guaranteed access to the beta? The point could be made that if they are going to require payment in order to get 100% confirmed beta access that there is going to be a major expectation that everyone at least be able to play.

Well, remember that ArenaNet had an open Beta enrollment a while ago, and those people are still in the running for Beta access. All Pre-Purchase gets you is the 3-day headstart and guaranteed access to the Betas. If you're such a fan of the game that you absolutely must get into the Beta, you're probably gonna buy it. Might as well just do it now, right?

Plus, MMOs in the past have suffered from a glut of pre-orders to get Beta Access, only to have those people cancel once the freebie sessions are over. By putting guaranteed access behind a per-purchase, they ensure that they aren't running these events so a bunch of lookie-loos can demo their game. Remember, they actually want to test it.

We'll see :p I really don't want to play a Warrior, but that draw of the big weapon is always appealing to me.

Well, if Warrior isn't your thing, remember that Guardians, Mesmers and Rangers also can use them. If you're into caster classes, Guardians and Mesmers can both use staves, scepters, foci, etc. Guardian with a Staff seems to be pretty castery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom