• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Don't mind me, just dropping a little something off from the internets...

jvKkq.gif

Edit: Aww yeah, top of the new page with that one.

yeah but who wears it the best! that's the class i'm going with!

I'll be honest. My entire interest in the Engineer class is based on how cool the Human Female starting armor looks;
nQhfG.jpg

I even kinda like the hair. Very cool looking.

Arken2121

So much beauty and so little resources needed to actually run it all. I do believe every class will have so many sets of just awesome looking clothes that it'll all just be a matter of personal taste.

Complistic

jvKkq.gif

I'll be honest. My entire interest in the Engineer class is based on how cool the Human Female starting armor looks;
nQhfG.jpg

I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure that's not the starting armor for the engineer. It was for whatever demo that came out of, but ordinarily they'll have something a little more simpler. I want to say that's from a korean game expo.

Also it's medium armor, not engineer armor, meaning another "medium" armor class can wear that armor as well, like the ranger.

BrettWeir

/image snip

I hate to say it, but my human female engi armor looked nothing like that.

Mine looked more like I was a fashion model for Fubu winter coats...........bleh.

Jira

yeah but who wears it the best! that's the class i'm going with!

Your profession will not define what your gear looks like, in all honesty your race has the most affect on what your armor looks like on your character due to different model sizes.

Jira

That Engi armor isn't the starter armor, that's more mid-game stuff they put in specifically to appeal to the Korean players when they had that demo running.

Retro

I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure that's not the starting armor for the engineer. It was for whatever demo that came out of, but ordinarily they'll have something a little more simpler. I want to say that's from a korean game expo.

Also it's medium armor, not engineer armor, meaning another "medium" armor class can wear that armor as well, like the ranger.

That's the armor that's come up for the Engineering during all of the character creation videos I've seen. It may not be the starting gear, but it certainly looks cool. And yes, I know it's wearable by Rangers and Thieves, but it looks Engineer-ish. That visual style made me dig a little deeper and I'm pretty sure I'll roll an Engineer as my third or fourth profession choice.

Gonna go with a Charr though.

That Engi armor isn't the starter armor, that's more mid-game stuff they put in specifically to appeal to the Korean players when they had that demo running.

Ah, that explains it. kekeke ^_^

squidyj

jvKkq.gif

nQhfG.jpg

Trenchcoats are for bosses, therefore Engineer is boss. Although it'd work well for a Thief rocking dual pistols too, really any sort of gunslinging will be mighty fine with that armor.

I find the backgrounds to be really amazing. From the videos, you can see as you run towards the background, things begin to phase in like a painting coming to life. I hope people can just take a moment and appreciate the little things here and there.

ShaneB

Asura Thief, can't wait to be underestimated.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Loved kicking ass with my Gnome warrior.

Well, if Warrior isn't your thing, remember that Guardians, Mesmers and Rangers also can use them. If you're into caster classes, Guardians and Mesmers can both use staves, scepters, foci, etc. Guardian with a Staff seems to be pretty castery.

Well it's not that warrior isn't my thing, as mentioned I did love my Gnome warrior, and love melee classes in general I guess. Just the thrill of having the big weapon and being in the middle of the action, etc etc.

I know they've pointed out that weapons for caster classes and whatnot will actually be useful and not just stat bonuses, so that was good to hear. So maybe it won't be as big a deal as I'm making it out to be.

Alex

I remember reading back when the press beta was going on something about REALLY bad performance, especially in the realm vs realm stuff, they ever clean that up (if it was accurate)?

Ferny

I'm not happy at all about the lack of information. It's been a week since pre-purchase and really nothing official has been released by ANet. All this secret date stuff is just making everyone anxious.

Jira

I remember reading back when the press beta was going on something about REALLY bad performance, especially in the realm vs realm stuff, they ever clean that up (if it was accurate)?

Performance issues varied greatly from one system to the next, people with lesser hardware were getting better performance at times than people with better hardware. ANet has said that they optimize from the bottom up and generally optimization is one of the last things done in all of programming because it's a lot easier to do it after you've finalized your code. On top of this, recording software always takes a hit and many of the press even confirmed that with the software off it ran fine. Two friends of mine have nearly identical systems outside of the motherboard and ram, but identcal cpus and gpus(580 gtx). One of them had generally choppy FPS at times while the other was smooth.

TL;DR: Recording software causes performance loss, turning it off fixed that issue. Performance varied from system to system. Beta is beta and the game isn't optimized yet.

You can look at any footage from any convention you want and see that performance isn't an issue once optimization is done(they obviously optimize the convention builds for the specific hardware, but it's a good indication as to how it will run once optimization is done).

Oh and they're putting in some code for LOD on spell effects where they only show at full blast if the spell affects you, the fireball 30 feet away from you shooting at someone else is going to be toned down to keep performance up.

PewPewK

So M. Kerstein is going to be in Brighton between April 26th and May 6th. Not sure if this confirms or denies the 27th as the BWE. Probably confirms in my opinion. Sounds like they're sending their head community manager to Europe to run some of the European hype campaign. But then again, I can also see this being interpreted as April 20th because they don't wanna send their head community manager out during their first ever massive BWE.

Your interpretations?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So M. Kerstein is going to be in Brighton between April 26th and May 6th. Not sure if this confirms or denies the 27th as the BWE. Probably confirms in my opinion. Sounds like they're sending their head community manager to Europe to run some of the European hype campaign. But then again, I can also see this being interpreted as April 20th because they don't wanna send their head community manager out during their first ever massive BWE.

Your interpretations?

Hmm... I actually got nothing for this. Maybe it's because I'm tired... Idk. I usually can think of something but man... rofl

Jira

Anyone have the artist for this game? His work is amazing.

ANet has TONS of artists, about 70-80 which is the size of the entire GW1 team in 2007. Here's a link to the 5 lead designer's blogs:

Daniel Dociu http://www.tinfoilgames.com/

Kekai Kotaki http://www.kekaiart.com/

Richard Anderson http://www.flaptrapsart.com/

Horia Dociu http://badideafactory.blogspot.com/

Kristen Perry http://www.merekatcreations.com/

Take a look at the friends bit on the left here http://www.tinfoilgames.com/info.php a good amount of them work at ANet.

Alchemy

It was a scam the entire time! I bet we can't even prove they exist, the one guy running the whole thing probably ran off to Mexico already.

Jira

ANet has failed.

On the contrary, I think YOU have failed ANet for giving up hope!

In all seriousness though, the 27th has been the date I've been betting on for weeks now and if it's sooner then awesome, if not then all we can do is wait.

Ferny

You're probably joking, but I agree with the sentiment. Drum up all the hype for a prepurchase then go a week and a half without any information? Comeonson.gif

I feel the same way. If it's next week then fine but at least don't go all super silent on the whole thing.

Jira

They did say earlier today on Twitter that they're going to have an announcement soon. My guess is anywhere from Wednesday-Friday they'll announce the date for the 27th and either start sending out client links or say they'll send out client links on Monday.

Going to see if I can try and change my order soon since I haven't had a chance due to various circumstances.

Also one thing I wanted to note is that it seems it will be really easy to make an attractive character in this.

Too often I've played games where it is extremely difficult to make a character that looks good. (Looking at you Oblivion).

salpa

Banned
Through forum access.

You can't get forum access with a @plaync or @ncsoft email. At least, it won't let me.

But I realized that when I registered, they sent an email to my email registered with my NCSoft account. So they can probably just do that.

Reikon

Still waiting for the Amazon pre-purchase. Arenanet seems to be ignoring all questions about it on Twitter and of course it's near impossible to contact anyone at Amazon who knows what's actually going on. :/

Jira

Still waiting for the Amazon pre-purchase. Arenanet seems to be ignoring all questions about it on Twitter and of course it's near impossible to contact anyone at Amazon who knows what's actually going on. :/

What Amazon did you purchase from?

Jira

I mean it just being available for purchase at Amazon US.

Oh, well you'll never be able to pre-purchase from Amazon US. Amazon US said they do not have the system to bill the full price prior to shipping. However, Amazon UK and Germany do. Makes no sense.

Cels

just got a free code and registered.

the email says "The game client will be available shortly; we will send you an e-mail with a download link."

do we know what "shortly" means? i thought they said earliest beta access was late April.

Jira

just got a free code and registered.

the email says "The game client will be available shortly; we will send you an e-mail with a download link."

do we know what "shortly" means? i thought they said earliest beta access was late April.

That is still the case. April 27th-29th will be the dates they announce in the coming days. They're likely going to announce those dates in the next 3 days and either mail out the client then or on Monday of next week.

Reikon

Oh, well you'll never be able to pre-purchase from Amazon US. Amazon US said they do not have the system to bill the full price prior to shipping. However, Amazon UK and Germany do. Makes no sense.

They said the digital version would be available on Amazon at least. I don't know why Amazon is still on their list of retailers that offer pre-purchase if they're not going to do it.

nataku

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User:John_Stumme

Hey all, I wanted to share some news with everyone. As I’m sure you guys are all aware, we here at ArenaNet have really been ramping up on Guild Wars 2 in anticipation of our release this year. In order to ensure that we are putting out the best possible game, we here at the studio are going all hands on deck - this means that the Live Team will be shifting much of its focus to support the GW2 team. We’re going to be pretty busy, but we will still support the live game with balance updates and bug fixes – there’s also something special planned for our 7th Anniversary. I hope you’re all excited for it, and we’re really looking forward to seeing you all in GW and GW2!

Hmm. I'm expecting beta on the 27th. I wouldn't be surprised if they give all existing GW1 account holders beta access as well, even if you didn't pre-purchase.

Jira

They said the digital version would be available on Amazon at least. I don't know why Amazon is still on their list of retailers that offer pre-purchase if they're not going to do it.

Maybe that's still the case, but from what I've gathered you can't pre-purchase from Amazon US.

Jira

27th it is? Excitement rising!

It's pretty much a guarantee seeing as ANet has repeatedly said "end of the month" and that's the last possible weekend in the month. Couple that with the fact that they haven't sent out the client yet so it won't be this weekend and next weekend just so happens to be GW1's birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom