• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

It's pretty much a guarantee seeing as ANet has repeatedly said "end of the month" and that's the last possible weekend in the month. Couple that with the fact that they haven't sent out the client yet so it won't be this weekend and next weekend just so happens to be GW1's birthday.

Makes complete sense. Lordy. I'm not even sure what I'm going to play. Thief is going to be my class of choice come Day 1 but....man. Everything looks really fun to play. Alt mania.

Reikon

Maybe that's still the case, but from what I've gathered you can't pre-purchase from Amazon US.

But they said:
If you're just looking to prepurchase the game from Amazon and don't need the Collector's Edition, you can still buy either of the digital editions through them.

Sounds like they planned on Amazon having the digital pre-purchase, and they really haven't said much about Amazon since that statement, so I have no idea what they're doing.

Jira

But they said:

Sounds like they planned on Amazon having the digital pre-purchase, and they really haven't said much about Amazon since that statement, so I have no idea what they're doing.

Well all I can say is wait and see then. Why not just buy from ANet if you're doing DD?

Arksy

Well all I can say is wait and see then. Why not just buy from ANet if you're doing DD?

Agreed. The more people who buy directly from Anet the less money that goes to third parties and the more they get to spend on content and expansions.

Card Boy

Banned
I got 2 Digital Deluxe GW2 accounts, one for my brother and one for myself. Greenman Gaming had it for $71 (10% off), and i used the referral credit i had and it only cost me 5bucks for the second account.

Damn, I was really hoping it was this weekend. At least with Diablo III and Trials Evo I'll have plenty to keep me busy!

But I need to figure out my PC situation, I don't want to have to upgrade but GW2 will be my game of the forever and I will upgrade my PC around it, this weekend would have been perfect for getting it together if I found I needed an upgrade. Unfortunately I have plans for a majority of next weekend. Maybe I'll cancel ..

Jira

Character's name ^^

Kinda up in the air at this point but my guess is when you go to make your character, if you name it Bob Is Awesome and that was your GW1 character name it will recognize it through your account link and allow only you to use it.

Jira

Damn, I was really hoping it was this weekend. At least with Diablo III and Trials Evo I'll have plenty to keep me busy!

But I need to figure out my PC situation, I don't want to have to upgrade but GW2 will be my game of the forever and I will upgrade my PC around it, this weekend would have been perfect for getting it together if I found I needed an upgrade. Unfortunately I have plans for a majority of next weekend. Maybe I'll cancel ..

You've suddenly come down violently ill and have a bad stomach bug. DO IT!

Ryan_

lemonparty, isn't that the website about how Obama is a bad president? =P

I think that's teaparty :p though I could be wrong

I was also hoping it would be this weekend since next weekend is also pretty booked :(

The amount of wanting and longing for GW2 is greater then for any other game I've played in the last decades.

BrettWeir

I'll have to admit.....it would be nice to see a "Thank you for all of the people that have pre-purchased" type of message. I'm stunned that there has been no real news/communication since the 10th (besides "I know some people are having issues and were working to fix them" type messages).

This is the first time I have felt "let down" by Anet. I mean, after all......isn't PR the only reason Rubi even got a job?

I'll have to admit.....it would be nice to see a "Thank you for all of the people that have pre-purchased" type of message. I'm stunned that there has been no real news/communication since the 10th (besides "I know some people are having issues and were working to fix them" type messages).

This is the first time I have felt "let down" by Anet. I mean, after all......isn't PR the only reason Rubi even got a job?

We've taken your money and never giving it back!

Still, I'm sure there's still a lot of polish to be done. It won't surprise me if about a month before the release launch that they'll open up tons of areas and allow something like 1 full week to fully flesh it out before launch date.

Jira

Considering they want to do only one weekend beta test for pre-purchase every month...I would say release is not for another 4 months or so.

You do know ANet has been doing testing of the game that most other devs do in their Betas for YEARS now right? They do that kind of testing in Alpha and EXTREMELY early so they get feedback immediately from internal and external friends & family/usability testers. It's not uncommon for them to push out 10 builds a day and they're not just shitting something out at the last minute, they've been doing real testing for years now, not months. Why do you think the game looked so damn good when they first showed it at the 3 year mark of development?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAh1OHBI4uM

That is THREE years into development, if you haven't been paying attention to other MMO development in the same timeframe, that is fucking POLISHED for an MMO at the three year mark.

That is THREE years into development, if you haven't been paying attention to other MMO development in the same timeframe, that is fucking POLISHED for an MMO at the three year mark.

While this is true and I am sure they are closer to release than a lot of people seem to think, they still got a lot to do in terms of optimization. I was able go log in during the stress test last weekend and the client performance was a mess for me and a friend who was able to log in as well. Performance wasn't even close to where it needs to with that build.

One can hope they already started with optimization and the new client for the upcoming BWE shows some progress. Because otherwise, I can't see them sorting that out in a matter of weeks.

Jira

While this is true and I am sure they are closer to release than a lot of people seem to think, they still got a lot to do in terms of optimization. I was able go log in during the stress test last weekend and the client performance was a mess for me and a friend who was able to log in as well. Performance wasn't even close to where it needs to with that build.

One can hope they already started with optimization and the new client for the upcoming BWE shows some progress. Because otherwise, I can't see them sorting that out in a matter of weeks.

Of course, from what we've seen/read from the press the performance varies greatly from system to system and even in the sense that people with lower end hardware were getting better performance than higher end at times. ANet did say that they optimize from the bottom up and optimization does tend to be one of the last things done in programming once code is finalized. Though with the NDA dropping, I'd wager a bet that they have optimized the client to some extent because I couldn't see them releasing an unoptimized build with no NDA and ruining all of the work they've done for the past 5 years. It would explain the need to download a new build. My guess for release is still late June and mid to late July at the latest.

DJIzana

Guild Wars 2 ‏ @GuildWars2 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Good news!First Beta Weekend Event will be from April 27-29. We will let you know once the client is ready for download. ^MK

As Jira thought!

Jira

Yay! Interesting that they're posting a blog about what we can play....wonder if it differs from the CBT in any way?

Yay! Interesting that they're posting a blog about what we can play....wonder if it differs from the CBT in any way?

Yeah, kind of odd. Hopefully it's more and not less than what was in CBT. Though I will be happy either way to be able to finally play the game.

probably no WvW stuff.

I am sure WvW will be in. Even the stress test had WvW.

Of course, from what we've seen/read from the press the performance varies greatly from system to system and even in the sense that people with lower end hardware were getting better performance than higher end at times. ANet did say that they optimize from the bottom up and optimization does tend to be one of the last things done in programming once code is finalized. Though with the NDA dropping, I'd wager a bet that they have optimized the client to some extent because I couldn't see them releasing an unoptimized build with no NDA and ruining all of the work they've done for the past 5 years. It would explain the need to download a new build. My guess for release is still late June and mid to late July at the latest.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. Let's hope the new client is at least somewhat optimized and there is no outrage over performance issues next week.

Jira

probably no WvW stuff.

I don't think they're not going to test their mass PvP when they have a couple hundred thousand people playing...that's a waste of resources to say the least. They could get launch number feedback from that many people.

I can't think of what they would want to take out? The gem store? Makes sense. Anything other than that has mostly been seen pretty extensively.

Maybe throw in one of the last two races?

nataku

I hope they keep the optional level boost to 30 in. I'd like to boost a few characters to get better access to skills for some proper WvW play. Not to mention it'd be a ton easier to test out all the professions to see which one I like to play first come launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom