• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio is, unlike the Disney remake, apparently not made for neanderthal children. Getting great reviews.

Bragr

Banned
This one is actually worth watching.

It was featured at a film festival or something, people like it a lot. Comes out next month in cinemas and on Netflix in December.

93 on Metacritic right now, even if it's only 7 reviews so far.

Last edited:

DKehoe

It was featured at a film festival or something
key-and-peele-jordan-peele.gif

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Wow. Then take my statement as a compliment. Its so good that you think its CG!

Indeed, he even did an interview where he said that modern advances in technology meant that that stop-motion today can look TOO good, and they wanted to avoid that by not making the motion too smooth or anything.

Regardless of the content of the film - although Del Toro makes beautiful films anyway - it's an absolute work of art.

Whitecrow

Banned
I'll watch it. Looks like it will deliver.

But yeah, smoothness is not there. Fortunately I know the hidden secret to that which half of GAF doesnt know.
Brains (the sane ones) adapt after a while.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Wow. Then take my statement as a compliment. Its so good that you think its CG!

CG animated movies have deeply influenced other forms of animation. Modern stop motion and traditionally animated movies also use CG behind the scenes to enhance the visuals. See for instance ...

TrueLegend

His movies look beautiful aesthetically and sound amazing. If you wanna do a study on what a passionately crafted movie looks like and what studio driven by the number checklist crossed movie looks like just watch original pacific rim and then the sequel....the difference of visual impact is like night and day.

kondorBonk

I'm such a sucker for stop motion. I love that we have Del Toro and Wes Anderson play in the medium.

Obviously the real thing reigns supreme and thankfully we have companies like Laika. At the same time it's fun to think how exactly you could go about emulating it with CG. I was really impressed with WorthiKids:

They seem to have nailed the "feel" of old stop motion. Frame rate, grain, the 2d animated transitions, building out seperate models for lip movement instead of shape keys, scaling the scene and lightsource to look more like a studio, keeping the textures at a consisent size to mimic real world material, the ruffling of cloth like its being manipulated each frame, strings on anything floating, etc.

Last edited:
Just finished watching it. What a wonderful and masterfully done rendition of Pinocchio. Makes Disney's live action abomination look like complete and utter trash (which it is).

Neanderthal children?

I’ll leave my two “icy hot stuntaz” with their mother while I watch this alone, in peace.

Thanks for the heads up.

Pejo

Watched this tonight with the gf. She hates stop motion stuff, it gives her some weird nausea issues, but she just would lay down and stare a different direction and listen to the voice acting. She enjoyed that piece of it, and I thought the visuals were really fantastic. Otherworldly sometimes, beautiful sometimes, etc.

It was a really good version of the story, touched on some darker/mature themes, but handled it well enough. Probably one of my favorite animated films in quite a while. Worth a watch.

Toons

I will probably check it out one of these days. Didnt really get rhe hate campaign for the last one either but I didnt watch it, and I haven't seen the original in a very long time so I don't even remember the plot.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
It's not made for neanderthal children, but as an adult I didn't feel it was made for me either.

So who was this made for?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Watched this tonight with the gf. She hates stop motion stuff, it gives her some weird nausea issues, but she just would lay down and stare a different direction and listen to the voice acting. She enjoyed that piece of it, and I thought the visuals were really fantastic. Otherworldly sometimes, beautiful sometimes, etc.

It was a really good version of the story, touched on some darker/mature themes, but handled it well enough. Probably one of my favorite animated films in quite a while. Worth a watch.
You're right man but...I bailed at the 3rd song, I just can't , I hate musicals with a passion and while I wouldn't necessarily categorize this as a musical, the songs just made me cringe.
Same thing happened to me with Burton's Sweeney Todd, I wanted to watch that movie so bad but the constant singing just turned me off, shame as the art-direction is beautiful/well-made.

Pejo

You're right man but...I bailed at the 3rd song, I just can't , I hate musicals with a passion and while I wouldn't necessarily categorize this as a musical, the songs just made me cringe.
Same thing happened to me with Burton's Sweeney Todd, I wanted to watch that movie so bad but the constant singing just turned me off, shame as the art-direction is beautiful/well-made.
Oh yea, the songs were ass and I didn't really care for the voice of Pinnochio but the songs were overall a small part. I could have done without them entirely other than the poo poo fart song directed at Mussolini which made me laugh because I still have the sense of humor of a child apparently.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I watched it today. And the style is compelling and the story is good. I think this movie is something of a thing of beauty.

it is a little weird to set it in the backdrop of ww2 Italy.

Top Bottom