• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

Hubb

Then why is it so easy to find ranked matches in games like Skullgirls and Killer Instinct? Those are both relatively niche compared to the heavy hitter franchises. Is GG really that much smaller in terms of player base?

Depends when you are playing and, matching with someone "easily" doesn't mean you two are around equal level. I don't play Killer Instinct, but this is the experience I've had with smaller fighting games.

I mean even in street fighter 5 depending on when I play I get some shitty ranked matches.

ScOULaris

It isn't.

From what I understand the matchmaking was garbage and often connected players to those with bad connections which, in turn, led to everyone just playing lobbies.
Ah, that would do it. I didn't realize that was what drove people away from ranked. Thanks for the explanation.

Again, I don't mean to criticize the game. I'm a long-time fan of Guilty Gear but never got a chance to play GG online until Xrd, so I'm just now coming to grips with my own scrubbiness, haha.

I just hope eventually something will click for me when it comes to punishing blockstrings. It seems borderline impossible sometimes. Even Johnny's patented neutral Slash doesn't seem to come out fast enough to punish most common blockstrings when I try to.

King Kye

Banned
Thing is, there's very few blockstrings in Guilty that can be punished outright with straight blocking, unless they're throwing out a blockstring ender that is super unsafe (i.e. Ky's Slide, Sol's Bandit Revolver/Grand Viper). Against new players, gambles like that aren't as needed since the player doesn't know the opponent's moves, they can just reset the blockstring pressure with something safer and plus on block until you're opened up.

You just gotta watch your replays and research your opponent's character on Dustloop to get a better understanding of how to regain momentum. Just looking for blockstrings to punish isn't the right mindset to have for this game at your level and sounds like it's locking you into a linear approach.

Then why is it so easy to find ranked matches in games like Skullgirls and Killer Instinct? Those are both relatively niche compared to the heavy hitter franchises. Is GG really that much smaller in terms of player base?

Both of those games are primarily played online really.lol They have much better netcode and their online communities are probably the main thing still keeping them going.

Onemic

I was responding more to that garbage advice. Playing the CPU won't help you much, unfortunately, so your best bet is to maybe find a Discord where people are willing to teach you the game. Maybe Rev2 will bring back some weaker players.

If youre brand new to GG (or any FG really) playing the CPU isnt garbage advice at all.

I never really understood the idea that you have to play bad people to learn the game. Playing people better than you is how people have been learning fighting games since their inception. As someone who plays fighting games in person, I just can't entertain "matchmaking" criticisms as a barrier to entry. Especially in your first few days of play.

You don't really learn anything playing people in bronze SFV. That's why like 80% of the playerbase is still at that rank a year later. You just win more while knowing less.

My advice: treat the game less like a solitary endeavor where you just log on, play random people and get nothing out of it. If you really want to learn the game, get involved in the community. Ask questions, seek games and ask more. Get to know the people you're playing as you learn to play. That's how you get the most out of fighting games

If you want to just passively play and feel some sense of "progress" through occasional wins against mashers while climbing a linear ranking system, yeah you might want to play a different game.

King Kye

Banned
Yeah, you have to treat learning a FG like a journey. Similar to fitness goals. You have to set clear goals, approach things humbly and have patience.

For a niche, hardcore game like Guilty, this approach matters doubly so.

I don't think the idea of playing the CPU is bad advice either, but I understand King Awesome's sentiment. You want to encourage people to seek out human competition and get involved in the community. It's simply the most efficient way to develop yourself.

I don't think playing the CPU is great advice. Especially if the goal is to eventually transition from it to multiplayer. I think you'd just end up developing bad habits at the very beginning.

Best way to learn is to dive in head first and just take your lumps.

Hubb

I never really understood the idea that you have to play bad people to learn the game. Playing people better than you is how people have been learning fighting games since their inception. As someone who plays fighting games in person, I just can't entertain "matchmaking" criticisms as a barrier to entry. Especially in your first few days of play.

You don't really learn anything playing people in bronze SFV. That's why like 80% of the playerbase is still at that rank a year later. You just win more while knowing less.

I don't think it is a hard thing to understand, but I guess it depends what prespective you come into it with. There are people who are silver ranked in SFV who say they are bad at the game, and maybe to some people they are bad. They are nowhere near as bad as someone who picks up a fighting game for the first time. That is the biggest problem, someone who is an actual beginner to fighters will join a "beginner" room and people who have been playing fighting games for 10 years will be in there because they are "new" to that game, or don't think they are "good" at it.

In games with smaller communities it is very hard to join as a true newcomer or someone who is actually bad at fighting games and find decent matches. For a lot of people that is where the fun is, playing other players and not getting the shit kicked out of them over and over. That isn't the best way for someone to learn who doesn't even have a decent grasp on their character. They will learn basically nothing after getting smashed over and over again by a pro.

Looking at it simply, we can say they are two ways to learn fighting games. Put in the time, train, lose, whatever you think the proper way to learn is, and then there is slowly climbing a ranked ladder. Sure the ranked ladder will most likely be the slower of the two. Maybe you learn bad habits while climbing bronze, but then you hit your wall and will play against people of equal level of you until you can break through that wall.

Maybe that takes a long time, and it probable is the longer/harder way. At least this way is most likely more fun to more people than the other way. Hell I ask myself daily how people can continue to be bronze in League of Legends (and I am sure pros of league of legends ask themselves how people can be as shitty as my division) but at least they are playing against equal opponents and are having fun.

It takes a certain mindset and a certain drive to pick up a fighter and train, train, train to get better instead of "playing" the game. Now people are probably going to take issue with saying training over and over again isn't "playing" the game, but to most casuals it probably isn't.

Oh and 80% of the player base of SFV being bronze probably has more to do with people stopping than it represents the actual player base. If you haven't played SFV for 5 months it isn't like they decay your ranking or stop counting you in the numbers.

King Kye

Banned
It depends on how you approach playing the CPU. If your goal is to practice hit confirms (particularly unconventional ones dependent on weird character positioning), block strings and setups on a moving target, for example, that helps, no matter what level you are.

If you're just looking to beat the AI, then no, it's not a good way to get good at the game.

Telling someone new to play the CPU, unqualified, is bad advice, but playing the AI has its uses.

Onemic

It depends on how you approach playing the CPU. If you're goal is to practice hit confirms (particularly unconventional ones dependent on weird character positioning), block strings and setups on a moving target, for example, that helps, so matter what level you are.

If you're just looking to beat the AI, then no, it's not a good way to get good at the game.

Telling someone new to play the CPU, unqualified, is bad advice, but playing the AI has its uses.

Scoularis is new to GG, not FG's, so I would have assumed that it would be a given.

ScOULaris

I'm actually not even new to GG, per se. I played a ton of GGXX and its iterations on and off for years, but this is my first time playing against skilled online competition. I used to play GGXX against the CPU all the time and occasionally against other friends who played the game, but as you all know that's a far cry from the level of competition present online now. While my light experience with GGXX over the years helped in terms of muscle memory and coming into Revelator already knowing some combos/setups and understanding the universal mechanics, it probably also taught me some bad habits.

But that's all fine. Getting into a new online fighting game is always a challenge at first. I'm used to it and have gone through the process with dozens of fighters. It's just that with most other games in the genre I have found that working my way up ranked is the most efficient way to steadily improve. You still end up playing people who are better than you, but it's a mix. You hit walls and learn from them, and then you get to try what you learned on people more your skill level. Then you hit another wall and figure something out and improve again... etc.

With the lobby-centric nature of Revelator's online, I will hop on and end up playing the same 2-3 people over and over again. If all of them are far more skilled at GG than me (which they typically are), I end up getting stomped so hard at times that I find it difficult to learn those little lessons that are crucial to improvement.

Everyone's different. I've had success in every other major fighting game (other than MKX, I suck at Netherrealm games) improving via a ranked ladder type of setup. GG is just different, so I'm coming to grips with the much harsher and steeper online learning curve that is the direct result of a lack of matchmaking.

Oh and 80% of the player base of SFV being bronze probably has more to do with people stopping than it represents the actual player base. If you haven't played SFV for 5 months it isn't like they decay your ranking or stop counting you in the numbers.

I think that says the same thing though really. That even with great matchmaking and active ranked, most people are still quitting at the first sign of resistance or playing consistently and never improving.

The thing about matchmaking systems is that they're not really designed to protect the bad players from the good players. They mostly do the opposite. Gradual upward mobility is rare.

but that's a conversation for another thread.

Hubb

I think that says the same thing though really. That even with great matchmaking and active ranked, most people are still quitting at the first sign of resistance or playing consistently and never improving.

That would be true if everyone quit because of meeting resistance, which I don't think is true. And I'm not sure I'd say SFV has "great" matchmaking in terms of online competitive games, just better than some other fighting games.

The thing about matchmaking systems is that they're not really designed to protect the bad players from the good players. They mostly do the opposite. Gradual upward mobility is rare.

Maybe I am stuck thinking about matchmaking across all competitive genres. Good matchmaking systems do exist, maybe just not within the fighting game community. In every season of league of legends I have ended better than the season prior, back when I played SC2 or even WC3 it was the same.

Gradual mobility might be rare when you are pulling from a pool of 50 players compared to 10s of thousands of players.

Onemic

but that's a conversation for another thread.

SFV's matchmaking is still pretty bad. Just better than SF4.

Spuck-uk

Banned

My advice: treat the game less like a solitary endeavor where you just log on, play random people and get nothing out of it. If you really want to learn the game, get involved in the community. Ask questions, seek games and ask more. Get to know the people you're playing as you learn to play. That's how you get the most out of fighting games

If you want to just passively play and feel some sense of "progress" through occasional wins against mashers while climbing a linear ranking system, yeah you might want to play a different game.

Playing people better than you is definitely the way to get better, but there's a limit. Unless they're sitting right next to you, teaching you through your mistakes, you won't learn much from being perfected over and over.

Having said that, I learned more from getting smashed 0-30+ in sets over and over again by a really good player than I had the few months before fighting randoms online, but he was super helpful about helping me out of some bad habits.

Seyob

Playing people better than you is definitely the way to get better, but there's a limit. Unless they're sitting right next to you, teaching you through your mistakes, you won't learn much from being perfected over and over.

Having said that, I learned more from getting smashed 0-30+ in sets over and over again by a really good player than I had the few months before fighting randoms online, but he was super helpful about helping me out of some bad habits.
Totally agree. Most online Xrd players I've come across are friendly and would gladly chat to give some advice. Don't forget to rinse the tutorial section with all its challenges. It's a goldmine for GGxrd as well as other fighters.

petran79

Banned
Does Blazblue Central Fiction face the same online issues as Xrd or do players play ranked, even if there are some cheaters too (PS3 players use custom PS3 firmware for Unlimited characters in ranked)?

I prefer the lobby system instead of ranked. Same reason I've spent most time in Fightcade.

Facing the same person helps learning from your mistakes and knowing also your limits

Sayad

4gamer article about Rev 2 with some nice direct feed screenshots:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/368/G036859/20170123032/
r56quYw.jpg

u89IB12.jpg

Millia's new j.HS
dV0a78A.jpg

Faust's new jackpot meteor
kvEhuS8.jpg

Sayad

Apparently, it makes Millia's damage higher and she still have other means to get hard knockdowns, not gonna complain. Haircoopter might come back as a command normal in the next update.

Sayad

Do we know if Ky's new 6HS has different properties than before? Mostly frame advantage and forced crouching
One video shows it catching a jump attempt so probable very plus on block, doesn't force crouch though, second hit at least don't.

So who was the bullshitter that made this :

EfRiOVM.jpg
Looks similar enough! ;p
Someone on twitter drew it based on descriptions.

Kikirin

Probably a silly question but is Instant Air Dashing the same as Jump Cancelling?
Not quite. Jump Canceling is merely inputting an upward direction to cancel out of the recovery frames of an attack with a jump. So you can jump cancel forward, backwards, or neutral.

Instant Air Dash is a fastest-possible air dash out of a jump via the following input: forward jump, brief return to neutral, forward. You can also IAD backwards with a similar input in the other direction.

You can jump cancel into an IAD, but IADs aren't jump cancels themselves.

Alchemist

Not quite. Jump Canceling is merely inputting an upward direction to cancel out of the recovery frames of an attack with a jump. So you can jump cancel forward, backwards, or neutral.

Instant Air Dash is a fastest-possible air dash out of a jump via the following input: forward jump, brief return to neutral, forward. You can also IAD backwards with a similar input in the other direction.

You can jump cancel into an IAD, but IADs aren't jump cancels themselves.

Really helpful explanation. Thank you!

Been getting into this game a lot recently. Played since Accent Core, but never well. Friends play this game a ton, but I was just not feeling it as Sin. Later learned that he was just not my character and hopped to Elphet and now I'm having a blast. Aside from learning unblockable stuff with her grenades and sniper, is there any other dirty, cheap Elphelt shit I should know? Or just any basic pointers in general? Working on getting used to using c.S as an AA but I always press it either too early and get f.S or too late and eat a jump in lol.

Rutger

Banned
Summit vs FAB is a classic, two experts playing with very different extremes is always fun to watch.

Chipp might win the matchup in Xrd, but that MU is always going to be scary for both sides, haha. Potemkin's damage plus GG's strong defensive options can get him so far, especially in the hands of someone like FAB.

Femto.

Hey GG heads, trying to get into this game.

I've never gotten into an anime game, so which characters are easy to grasp? Coming from Street Fighter, I play Cammy mostly.

Sayad

Ky is the best(especially if you're coming from SF) if you're trying to get into the game with him then branch into other characters as he has decent tools in every category.

Other than that, simple enough straight forward characters:
Sol: if Ky was Ryu, Sol will be Ken, a lot of yolo tools
Leo: charge DP and fireballs, simple moves set that include rekkas and a stance, high damage, strong oki, bad ground mobility
Raven: for now at least, great normals, strong oki, very flow chart-y, weird movement options
Jak-O: is interesting, simplest moves set in the game, but the character is bit technical if you want to take her to higher levels

I guess the one who would capture Cammy's style(fast, rushdown, long range melee moves, hard to keep away, legs, ...) the most in this game is Jam.

Femto.

Sweet, thanks Syad.

Going to give Ky, Leo, and Jam a try. I tried Sol and Chip in Sign but I wasn't really interested.

I'm going to need to the practice for when Baiken comes out.

Spuck-uk

Banned
If you liked ridiculous oki versions of Cammy, you might want to look into Millia as well.

Incredibly fast but fragile, and puts the opponent into the most absurd mixups of any fighting game character.

Astral

So this game is $20 on amazon. Does anyone know if this is a permanent price drop? I'm getting Blazblue but this is so cheap that I was thinking about getting this along with it. My only concern is juggling both games and mixing up the mechanics. If it's a permanent price drop I'll check this out later but if it's a temporary sale then I should probably jump on it while I have the chance.

YoungOne

So this game is $20 on amazon. Does anyone know if this is a permanent price drop? I'm getting Blazblue but this is so cheap that I was thinking about getting this along with it. My only concern is juggling both games and mixing up the mechanics. If it's a permanent price drop I'll check this out later but if it's a temporary sale then I should probably jump on it while I have the chance.
Not sure but it has been that price for quite a while on amazon.

Top Bottom