• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

Kikirin

Been playing some offline with a few friends lately. Problem is one of them plays Leo really good and i'm having problems with trying to get out of Leo's rekkas and backstance. I try to blitz and/or use dead angle to interrupt him, i've sometimes managed to just guard and follow up with a Potemkin buster or a regular throw.

Some helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

The most important thing would be to avoid letting him get into stance for free, either via the raw dash through or rekka(2). As far as relatively guaranteed punishes go:

In the case of the raw dashthrough, you can option select throw by tapping 4+HS+another non-dust button during blockstrings - you'll throw him if he crosses up, and get faultless defense if he doesn't. You can practice this in one of the vs. Leo tutorials/challenges.

For rekkas, you can throw him out of the crossup part if you regular instant block rekka(1). Be careful if the throw is mistimed and doesn't come out - you'll have to actually block rekka(2) in the opposite direction to avoid being opened up when the first is IB'd. If you miss the IB on the first hit, you can regular IB the second and potentially get a punish with your fastest move (6f or faster) as long as he isn't the type to go into the third on block.

You can also stand blitz in the above situations where throw can be used, but it's generally riskier than the mentioned option select.

As for stance tips:

He's at disadvantage (-3) from regular blocked rekka(2) so you can beat whatever normal he puts out after with one of your own. However, an immediate parry can catch whatever non-throw comes after. An unfortunate guessing game. He'll use your hesitation to start going into his stance mixups. If your execution is on point, maybe a frame perfect pot buster (3f startup) is a guaranteed punish?

Aside from during the situations above, trying to go for throws is generally not recommended due to half his stance normals having some throw invul.

The main thing to look for is gaps between blockstring hits, and this usually happens during overhead startups and when he tries to front step (66) back in for a pressure reset / crossup. Using this gap can help you better anticipate when to stand block, but particularly wily players can use a delayed low to open you up if you're autopiloting. There's also a vs. Leo tutorial/challenge to practice this.

Stance HS (overhead that doesn't guard crush) is plus on block, but is only (relatively gapless) from stance S (long poke with cross). There's room to mash out of bt.P > bt.HS or bt.K > bt.HS with a long-enough fast button if you're brave, but it's super risky.

If you have 50 meter, you can get a guaranteed dead angle after blocking stance HS.

You don't need to worry about the low once you push him out far enough, and FD can help reach this point sooner. Be ready to mash if he tries to front step back into range.

Assuming you are on fightstick: if you get guardcrushed, you can hold down back + one button and piano the others to recover faster. This lets you recover from the stagger faster without having a normal accidentally come out, preventing Leo from getting a free meterless combo after.

If he's using rekkas or the raw crossthrough during stance blockstrings, refer to the first section for countermeasures.

Rutger

Banned
However, I like Baiken enough as a character that I am willing to at least learn basic bitch combos that can do 25-35% damage, and just go online with that shit.

That's the secret to Guilty Gear.
Start by just learning short, simple combos that give you knockdown, because knockdown is where you can get away with everything. The series is surprisingly simple at a beginner level, but you need to know not to rush right into the higher level stuff.

patchday

I finally 'beat' story mode and they go add 'After Story C'. These devs just literally keep giving. It really feels like I'm playing a passion of love rather then a game that's passionate about exploiting opening up my wallet

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I finally 'beat' story mode and they go add 'After Story C'. These devs just literally keep giving. It really feels like I'm playing a passion of love rather then a game that's passionate about exploiting opening up my wallet

Yeah but they always release new versions to scam players every year.

/s

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Its true though, felt bad with blazblue to the point I stop buying the series entirely.
I mean if you are getting less than 60 hours out of the games sure no reason to get the extend stuff.

But 6 games over 8 years isnt that bad. 4 if you skip the extend stuff if you play casually

patchday

I thought these games were popular in Japanese arcades which would mean you probably need to release a brand new game

Since Arcades are pretty dead in the west (well everywhere else) this is a foreign concept to most.

Kuksune

The most important thing would be to avoid letting him get into stance for free, either via the raw dash through or rekka(2). As far as relatively guaranteed punishes go:

In the case of the raw dashthrough, you can option select throw by tapping 4+HS+another non-dust button during blockstrings - you'll throw him if he crosses up, and get faultless defense if he doesn't. You can practice this in one of the vs. Leo tutorials/challenges.

For rekkas, you can throw him out of the crossup part if you regular instant block rekka(1). Be careful if the throw is mistimed and doesn't come out - you'll have to actually block rekka(2) in the opposite direction to avoid being opened up when the first is IB'd. If you miss the IB on the first hit, you can regular IB the second and potentially get a punish with your fastest move (6f or faster) as long as he isn't the type to go into the third on block.

You can also stand blitz in the above situations where throw can be used, but it's generally riskier than the mentioned option select.

As for stance tips:

He's at disadvantage (-3) from regular blocked rekka(2) so you can beat whatever normal he puts out after with one of your own. However, an immediate parry can catch whatever non-throw comes after. An unfortunate guessing game. He'll use your hesitation to start going into his stance mixups. If your execution is on point, maybe a frame perfect pot buster (3f startup) is a guaranteed punish?

Aside from during the situations above, trying to go for throws is generally not recommended due to half his stance normals having some throw invul.

The main thing to look for is gaps between blockstring hits, and this usually happens during overhead startups and when he tries to front step (66) back in for a pressure reset / crossup. Using this gap can help you better anticipate when to stand block, but particularly wily players can use a delayed low to open you up if you're autopiloting. There's also a vs. Leo tutorial/challenge to practice this.

Stance HS (overhead that doesn't guard crush) is plus on block, but is only (relatively gapless) from stance S (long poke with cross). There's room to mash out of bt.P > bt.HS or bt.K > bt.HS with a long-enough fast button if you're brave, but it's super risky.

If you have 50 meter, you can get a guaranteed dead angle after blocking stance HS.

You don't need to worry about the low once you push him out far enough, and FD can help reach this point sooner. Be ready to mash if he tries to front step back into range.

Assuming you are on fightstick: if you get guardcrushed, you can hold down back + one button and piano the others to recover faster. This lets you recover from the stagger faster without having a normal accidentally come out, preventing Leo from getting a free meterless combo after.

If he's using rekkas or the raw crossthrough during stance blockstrings, refer to the first section for countermeasures.

Thanks you so much for your great response. I will train some when i get home after work today!

Played online today got my face punched in but it was fun and I'm looking forward to getting better. I'm also impressed by how well the game runs on PC.

They have a sale on PSN right now that nets you Rev 1 and the Rev 2 upgrade package for $26. Just to make sure, you don't get DIzzy and Kum if you buy the game this way right?

Steroyd

How does the meter work in GG? I know you use it for instant kills and supers but does it have any other uses.

EEEEEEEEEEEEVERRRRRYYYYYYYYYTHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGG

Push block (Faultless defence?)
Rejects
Freezing time to extend combo's
Dusts
Air block
Run cancelling

There's probably a few more stuff meter is used for and some of the stuff slowly drains your meter as opposed to using a huge 50% chunk in one go.

EEEEEEEEEEEEVERRRRRYYYYYYYYYTHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGG

Push block (Faultless defence?)
Rejects
Freezing time to extend combo's
Dusts
Air block
Run cancelling

There's probably a few more stuff meter is used for and some of the stuff slowly drains your meter as opposed to using a huge 50% chunk in one go.

Dusts don't use tension and a lot of those are redundant. (Pushblock, air block and run cancelling are all applications of Faultless Defense)

Tension is used for

Faultless Defense(something like .25% per frame)
Roman Cancels (25% for Yellow, 50% for Red and Purple)
Dead Angle Attacks(50%)
Blitz Shield(25%)
Overdrives(50%)

The wiki page has a way more indepth explanation of Tension, these mechanics and how they impact tension gain. Not all of this you really need to know but it's good to reference complete explanations when you're interested.

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=GGXRD-R2/Gauges#Tension_Gauge

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but are there decent new sources of in-game money in Rev 2? If I buy the upgrade will I have more chances of making more money?
I think I've reached my limit of what I'm capable of doing as far as story mode and all the tutorials(I don't play online) in Rev1, but I can't afford Raven. Maybe I can upgrade to Rev 2 and get enough from there to get Raven.

Also, have the character dlcs ever been on sale on the NA PSN before? I know they've been free, but I missed Kum and $7 is a bit too much for me.

Neith

Banned
I got this just to support it. This game is so fucking complicated lol. Gonna take me a long time if I even ever get to it.

Smasher89

Is there still a decent enough population left on PS4?

Got the game last week and played 2 sessions so far, playing ranked matches does give you opponents, but likely the same one multiple times, so I would say it's very low populated sadly, that said, I checked the EU server and it was close to empty, japan and usa had more active players.

SlowDownGandhi

Neo Member
NA ps4 population's totally fine; there isn't anyone in ranked because player lobbies are so much better when it comes to getting good games in.

EU playerbase is mostly on steam.

Got the game last week and played 2 sessions so far, playing ranked matches does give you opponents, but likely the same one multiple times, so I would say it's very low populated sadly, that said, I checked the EU server and it was close to empty, japan and usa had more active players.

iirc the majority of the population play in player lobbies/rooms unlike SF? I remember buying the game a few months back and was able to find rooms where different people would swich in and out of for at least a couple hours. I took a few months off so I'm not sure if its still as populated?

edit: Thanks SlowDown!

Top Bottom