• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

Essay

Who sould I program the training settings?

Depends what you want to do, but be sure that you have Air Recovery set to forward, neutral or back. Otherwise, if you notice your combo hit counter going grey, it means the combo actually dropped and they could have recovered into the air without the next hit connecting

Characters have different wakeup speeds though.

And set the dummy to Venom, record your setups, and then try to escape from them with whatever characters you've played against lately. And figure out how to improve them from that.

Ohnonono

Can someone link me to a VERY basic Baiken tutorial? I really want to start playing this game at my weekly get stoned and play SFV meetup but holy shit it feels so different. Help a dude out!

Can someone link me to a VERY basic Baiken tutorial? I really want to start playing this game at my weekly get stoned and play SFV meetup but holy shit it feels so different. Help a dude out!

People don't really make tutorials for Guilty Gear characters, and when they do they come out at a very slow rate, so there likely aren't any for Baiken yet. The most you can do is usually asking questions and watching other people play Baiken to learn strings, frame traps, and when to use which moves in neutral. Footage of Answer and Baiken is also pretty limited, especially since Japanese players don't seem fond of Answer.

Here's the most recent video I know of, and it's an unlisted video too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwywpU-hEAI

Is there someone from Europe/France around here to play some casual matches from time to time?
I play Guilty Gear since the first one, but people online just tear me to shred, I can't do anything. I don't mind losing, but you can't really progress when the gap in skill is too high!

On PS4: Faust_Nebel

Ohnonono

Thank you for the help! Hopefully in our stoned state I can still remember some of this stuff! This game makes SFV feel like the easiest game on earth BTW. Ya'll devoted fans are sick (in a good way.)

Sayad

This looks like a nice feature
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAZhB_Il-u8

It needs to accommodate pre-combo setups better though and adding some way for other people to load another persons combo into their own game would make it way more useful I think
WOW! They add a kinda useless training mode feature when the game still doesn't have something as essential as "record wake up option"! It's like they're taunting us!
9ovvu0I.gif

DBZF has had me hyped up enough to pick up Guilty Gear Xrd, and I want some tips if no one minds.

1) What's the most important thing to focus on as a new player to anime games?

2) I really love Ky's design, is he a good beginner character or is he very complicated?

Sayad

DBZF has had me hyped up enough to pick up Guilty Gear Xrd, and I want some tips if no one minds.

2) I really love Ky's design, is he a good beginner character or is he very complicated?
1) general movement and system mechanics, get used to using your Burst, Blitz, FD blocking in the air or for push back, using the back dash invincibility, using the normal grab, etc...

2) Ky is the best beginner character in the game, familiar enough and easy to use which allows you to focus on getting used the game system faster instead of spending way too much time learning characters specific stuff.

mooncakes

1. Do their character tutorial, learn and remember some of their combos, learn some of the games mechanics, maybe go through arcade mode to get a feel for the character and the game. I think one important thing is play who you like. You don't want to learn a character you hate playing with.Also, Check out these GG crash course videos also to get you started with the game. It got some good stuff there.

2. Ky is a simple character. He has long range normals, have a DP, his execution is fairly easy and gets good oki off a sweep/knockdown. A simple sweep to his projectile (his Stunedge) can be use to mixup your opponent up with his lows/highs. Throw in some random Greed Sever and your good to go.

patchday

Wow didnt know this thread existed. Just figured I'd search for a thread.

Got this game after seeing how amazing DBZ FighterZ looked plus it was on sale in the Steam summer sale. Such a great game.

Xhorder

I've been enjoying Rev2 for the last month or so. Bought it a week after Injustice 2 and so far I've played already way more Guilty Gear than Injustice 2 (which I also really liked for a MK-type of fighter). It sucks the community of this game is so small, but even on PS4 in Europe I've been finding online games, and I'm losing most of them, but also learning. Currently playing as Sin, who just seems to click with me...

Anyway, I've been lurking this thread the last few weeks so I just wanted to say hi... and I'm looking forward to Evo this weekend!

mooncakes

Here is a recent interview with Daisuke Ishiwatari regarding the future of Xrd.

Though he's been extremely busy in recent years handling the respective launches of Sign, Revelator and REV2, Ishiwatari is far from done. Looking to the future, he would like to make the fans happy by adding more classic characters to Xrd's expanding roster. "I'd love to add everyone in," Ishiwatari explained, "but due to challenges with staffing, development and budgetary restrictions, it's somewhat difficult at times."

Asked which character he would add next to the roster, his answer was immediate: "Robo-Ky." The reason? "His interesting playstyle." More recent fans of the Guilty Gear franchise might have seen Robo-Ky make an appearance in Revelator's Story Mode. The character was actually playable in earlier franchise entries, and was notorious for his goofy weapon-based attacks and unique way of handling meter management.

MechaX

I honestly think that I need to just do a "start from scratch" training regiment for this game; playing with friends for so long has really given me some bad habits.

Also, is it just me or does dashing feel kinda... stiff? I guess that's the best way to put it; I often can dash decently enough in other Arksys games and don't recall having similar issues (Play mostly Mu in BB, Naoto in P4) but some times here the dash won't come out. I was playing Ky if that makes any difference.

Sayad

Also, is it just me or does dashing feel kinda... stiff? I guess that's the best way to put it; I often can dash decently enough in other Arksys games and don't recall having similar issues (Play mostly Mu in BB, Naoto in P4) but some times here the dash won't come out. I was playing Ky if that makes any difference.
BB/P4A probably have larger buffer for instant air dashes, IAD is strict-er in Xrd, especially while jump canceling an attack into an instant air dash.

kunonabi

man, baiken's advanced combo 10 is frustrating. it's seems so easy but getting the standing S to connect is a real pain.

Sayad

man, baiken's advanced combo 10 is frustrating. it's seems so easy but getting the standing S to connect is a real pain.
If I remember currently, taking a tiny step back at the start make the spacing so that your instant air dash tatami doesn't have to be perfectly fast for you to be able to catch them with c.S at the end.

kunonabi

If I remember currently, taking a tiny step back at the start make the spacing so that your instant air dash tatami doesn't have to be perfectly fast for you to be able to catch them with c.S at the end.

so the step back makes it so he doesn't air tech as quickly after the kuchinashi? I'll have to give it a shot.

on a side note GG's execution is kind of irritating. I have no trouble doing tiger knees in any other game but here it seems overly strict.

Sayad

so the step back makes it so he doesn't air tech as quickly after the kuchinashi? I'll have to give it a shot.
Yep, the idea is that if you IAD > Tatami as fast as possible, you land earlier and at the proper distance for the rest of the combo to work, doing it perfectly is kinda hard though, so by taking a step back you'd land at that distance without the need for your IAD > tatami to be perfect.

on a side note GG's execution is kind of irritating. I have no trouble doing tiger knees in any other game but here it seems overly strict.
Raw tiger knees or "attack > jump cancel into tiger knees", the later is very strict due to the short buffer and jump cancel not happening instantly so you have to time them with the jump, but regular TKs seem inline with other games for me.

kunonabi

Raw tiger knees or "attack > jump cancel into tiger knees", the later is very strict due to the short buffer, but regular TKs seem inline with other games for me.

the raw ones. going to the right seems fine now that I'm doing a 360 sort of motion but the one to the left is just super sketchy which is weird since it's usually my easier side.

Might just take more training mode than I was expecting.

I'm starting to get the standing S more often since I altered my IAD motion but I still don't understand why. Sometimes the cpu air techs and sometimes he doesn't.

MechaX

BB/P4A probably have larger buffer for instant air dashes, IAD is strict-er in Xrd, especially while jump canceling an attack into an instant air dash.

IAD is a problem, but I was feeling it even in the ground game. But I did pop in BB yesterday for a comparison and at least for me (only been on an arcade stick for a few years), good god is there a difference.

Not that I'm whining about it, I'll just have to get used to it.

What arcade stick do you guys use?
Hori Rap 4 Kai. It's cool but I wish the joystick was a bat shaped rather than a sphere
hows the playerbase on ps4 compared to pc? i doubledipped on rev 1 but im not too keen on doing it again.
I think if you're in North America go for PS4 but anything else go PC

I have both but I play on PS4 mostly and whenever I make my room/lobby it fills up pretty quickly.

Sayad

I have both but I play on PS4 mostly and whenever I make my room/lobby it fills up pretty quickly.
Don't know about South America, but pretty much everywhere else the community is bigger on PS4.

Don't know about South America, but pretty much everywhere else the community is bigger on PS4.

There's more people on PS4, but there's a lot more serious players on PC. Probably need to use social media to facilitate matchmaking a bit though.

I play on both. Prefer PC though.

Valanarro

Hori Rap 4 Kai. It's cool but I wish the joystick was a bat shaped rather than a sphere

i prefer pc but i live in the states. Unfortunately psn was telling me it couldnt complete my transaction and i gave up on it so i just grabbed it on steam. thanks though

patchday

I upgraded to REV2 other day. I'm on Steam (PC) though. Havent hopped online yet since still working my way through Guilty Gear crash course. Trying to wrap my head around all these different Roman cancels

Will probably start out on Ky, Sin, or Sol then branch out afterwards. Really love the look of Baiken but according to some stats I've seen she's like mega popular

Which is ironic cause she wasnt in Top 8 at Evo 2017

I upgraded to REV2 other day. I'm on Steam (PC) though. Havent hopped online yet since still working my way through Guilty Gear crash course. Trying to wrap my head around all these different Roman cancels

Will probably start out on Ky, Sin, or Sol then branch out afterwards. Really love the look of Baiken but according to some stats I've seen she's like mega popular

Which is ironic cause she wasnt in Top 8 at Evo 2017

There were alot of good characters not in top 8 at EVO. No Sin or Zato this year.

Baiken just takes a lot of game knowledge to play properly in this version. She has the tools to be strong but I don't think any players are there with her yet at the highest level

Therin

Anyone playing Answer? I really enjoy his ninja scroll mechanic, people seem to have a hard time dealing with it (if you manage to set them up & get in position lol).

I also just love the whole business ninja concept of his character, it's hilarious & I never get tired of his animations!

patchday

Answer looks like a riot.

Man I forgot I never finished the 'missions'. I only completed the REV1 tutorials.

Trying to finish those up.. Maybe I can start hitting online after I wrap this up and finish the GG Crash course series on youtube.

Sayad

There's more people on PS4, but there's a lot more serious players on PC. Probably need to use social media to facilitate matchmaking a bit though.

I play on both. Prefer PC though.
Don't think that's true, I doubt there's a lot of serious players who skipped PS4 and waited for PC, if those serious players are on PC they probably also have the game on PS4.

The social media thing is true for all version though.

Don't think that's true, I doubt there's a lot of serious players who skipped PS4 and waited for PC, if those serious players are on PC they probably also have the game on PS4.

I mean it seems a lot of the serious players prefer PC. Mostly because of it having less input lag. Obviously they probably have both versions(like I do) but when I see people looking for matches on twitter it's mostly on PC nowadays.

patchday

Some of these missions are challenging. Well it's because of the inputs. Like this one with Ky where I have to do a combo X + Aura Blade. I got a B score but I'd like to get an S score

only thing that puts me off from these ASW games is all the circle motions. But no way am I going Stylish mode. Will just need to figure out something...

petran79

Banned

The social media thing is true for all version though.

It is like with SFIV. Good Xb360 players also had the GFWL version. They played on PC mostly in unranked matches. Stats would carry over. Though when game moved to Steam it kinda broke communication between console and PC players. In SFV though input lag difference is far too noticeble to switch betwern versions. Crossplay made it redundant anyway.

But since GG has zero interest for ranked, one might as well play it on PC.

Essay

Is there another resource other than Dustloop that has move descriptions? The Dustloop section for Ram's 2 new moves for Rev 2 never got updated.

I believe their main use is to delay cancel into j.214S and delay cancel again into j.214H when your j.H gets blocked high up (especially when air instant blocked by an opponent just off the ground). The idea here is to let Ramlethal get to the ground more safely from a higher-up j.H than normal for no meter. Some smart IB'ing might still see her get punished, but at least she has control over the gaps and timing of them to make that more difficult.

Kind of enjoy standing 214S for controlling the antiair deadzone that 214P and f.S can't hit too, but it's very low reward.

Deimo5

It's cool they keep adding stuff to digital figure mode but it takes so much damn money to fish out everything now. I'm still not there since Rev 2.

Top Bottom