• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

Zissou

Is there any sort of online resource that gives a quick breakdown of the cast? I'm new to GG (aside from blistering the hell out of my thumbs mashing in GGX2 way back when) and would like to read up on the characters when I can't have the game up in front of me!

EDIT: How substantial are the balance changes done between this Rev1 and 2? Are any characters altered heavily in gameplan between versions?

There are good starter guides for each character here. Few characters were changed substantially between rev 1 and 2 (and I think the changes are pretty ignorable so if you're just starting out). The dustloop wiki also has quick breakdowns of character playstyles on the top of each character's page. It's nice that they've put effort into the in-game tutorial system, but I wouldn't rely on it too much- it's good by fighting game standards, that doesn't mean a whole lot. If you need more specific info about characters or gameplay systems, I will try and help or direct you to somebody who can!

cwistofu

There are good starter guides for each character here. Few characters were changed substantially between rev 1 and 2 (and I think the changes are pretty ignorable so if you're just starting out). The dustloop wiki also has quick breakdowns of character playstyles on the top of each character's page. It's nice that they've put effort into the in-game tutorial system, but I wouldn't rely on it too much- it's good by fighting game standards, that doesn't mean a whole lot. If you need more specific info about characters or gameplay systems, I will try and help or direct you to somebody who can!
Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for! Jam was my jam in X2. I know she's popular among newbies who don't know what they're doing (me), but in my defense I tend to like fast, mobile, in your face characters. Cammy main since vanilla SF4, when she was bottom tier, woot woot.

Also interested in Dizzy and maybe Potemkin..

Kuksune

Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for! Jam was my jam in X2. I know she's popular among newbies who don't know what they're doing (me), but in my defense I tend to like fast, mobile, in your face characters. Cammy main since vanilla SF4, when she was bottom tier, woot woot.

Also interested in Dizzy and maybe Potemkin..
If you're gonna play Potemkin, be ready for alot of losses in the beginning, but when you've warmed up to his playstyle, he's so fun to play! Good luck :)

Thanks for this, will study some Potemkin and maybe someone else on friday. :)

mooncakes

If you want to further learn your characters, there are also specific discord servers since they have resources to look at and you can ask people there questions. http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/forums/topic/12706-ggxrdr-character-discord-servers/

https://keeponrock.in/ also here, you can look for specifics characters replays from top players and match-up too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgCAvdE5VZ1on9dTo-q3FCQ/videos If you just want to watch random matches to learn or whatever, this guy upload GG replays on daily basis.

Is this game dead on PC or something? I just checked out the lobby for the first time and only saw 13 people in one lobby in the UK region. There wasn't anyone in one of the beginner lobbies, and since this is basically my first fighting game (played SFV for a bit but got tired of it quickly because of the shitty launch) I want to start out against new players too so I don't get completely destroyed.

I'm still working my way through all the tutorial missions for now, which are very helpful. Some of them are very hard though. I can't get any of those meaty attack ones right no matter how many times I try.

Fandangox

Is this game dead on PC or something? I just checked out the lobby for the first time and only saw 13 people in one lobby in the UK region. There wasn't anyone in one of the beginner lobbies, and since this is basically my first fighting game (played SFV for a bit but got tired of it quickly because of the shitty launch) I want to start out against new players too so I don't get completely destroyed.

I'm still working my way through all the tutorial missions for now, which are very helpful. Some of them are very hard though. I can't get any of those meaty attack ones right no matter how many times I try.

I don't know about PC, but on PSN after playing on and off since November I realized I have been finding the same people in lobbies over and over again. Only game I had this ever happen to me was the Conduit.

I don't know about PC, but on PSN after playing on and off since November I realized I have been finding the same people in lobbies over and over again. Only game I had this ever happen to me was the Conduit.

You'd think the game would be fairly populated since REV2 just released :/

Edzi

Tbh, I'm surprised how dead the community feels overall. I kinda expected this thread to pick up after the Rev2 launch, but it seems just as slow as ever.

colinp

Banned
Tbh, I'm surprised how dead the community feels overall. I kinda expected this thread to pick up after the Rev2 launch, but it seems just as slow as ever.

Probably was released at the worst possible time amidst Injustice 2, Tekken 7, USF2 and Arms. We're drowning in fighting games at the moment...

It's funny how many damn killers are on the Tokyo 'newbie' server. Scared to see who is prowling the regular servers with some of the people I've played against already!

Edit: Also, reusing the old thread doesn't help at all. Whose bright idea was that?

Seyob

Haha true that! But a handful dedicated players is all you need really ;)

mooncakes

Most players dont even bother with rank or the big lobby area on PC. Players match is where its at. You can use the Guilty Gear discord since there is a new player lounge or the steam netplay to play with people.

Eolz

Is it true that After Story B is out on PS4?
Hoping it releases for PC soon

It is apparently there on PC too. (edit: nvm it isn't)

Weird thing though: in EU (not sure for US), if you upgraded it, there's no story update yet :|
Those that bought Revelator 2 got it though...

Back from holiday so last night decided to try a new char out. Did millia. Went through her moves and basic comboes in training, went online and lost 9 matches in a row lol (but had fun) and did her episode.

I totally suck as i have no idea how anyone plays etc but god damn is it quick to get into a game. Even with the much smaller player base than sfv i find a player lobby, hop on ab arcade and match loads super quick. That side of things is pretty great.

No idea what character to learn though. Millia seems fun but not sure. Ky seemed ok when i messed about with him this morning.

Rutger

Banned
So, it looks like years of playing the Arcsys character who really wants to be a Dragon Ball character will finally pay off~

Back from holiday so last night decided to try a new char out. Did millia. Went through her moves and basic comboes in training, went online and lost 9 matches in a row lol (but had fun) and did her episode.

I totally suck as i have no idea how anyone plays etc but god damn is it quick to get into a game. Even with the much smaller player base than sfv i find a player lobby, hop on ab arcade and match loads super quick. That side of things is pretty great.

No idea what character to learn though. Millia seems fun but not sure. Ky seemed ok when i messed about with him this morning.

With Millia, your main goal is to knockdown your opponent and then place the disc(236H) as they wake up. They're forced to block it and then she can go into 50/50 mixups.

I'm not confident enough to say who the best Millia players are to look for, but you can always search Mdesilva's channel for match vids of any character.

Kuksune

So, it looks like years of playing the Arcsys character who really wants to be a Dragon Ball character will finally pay off~

With Millia, your main goal is to knockdown your opponent and then place the disc(236H) as they wake up. They're forced to block it and then she can go into 50/50 mixups.

I'm not confident enough to say who the best Millia players are to look for, but you can always search Mdesilva's channel for match vids of any character.
I've managed to get a potemkin buster on a Millia when she did that. So if anyone wants to know how to get out from that situation, try to throw her.

Sayad

I've managed to get a potemkin buster on a Millia when she did that. So if anyone wants to know how to get out from that situation, try to throw her.
If done correctly, Millia's disc should be meaty so you can't potbuster out of the pressure, and she should be mixing you up from outside of your normal grab range so watch out for that.

Kuksune

If done correctly, Millia's disc should be meaty so you can't potbuster out of the pressure, and she should be mixing you up from outside of your normal grab range so watch out for that.
Alright thanks :) i guess the millia player misstimed her attacks or didn't mix up very good. I'll be more careful against that.

petran79

Banned

Maybe majority of players did not upgrade. From Sign to Revelator and then Ver2, PC playerbase is too small and less dedicated to support this.
Online in Rev2 has some issues too.

Tekken 7 fares much better though.High chance PC players may overtake those of SFV in the future.

Vic_Viper

Havent played any of the Xrd games. Is the story mode in REV 2 completely new or does it have the story from the orginal Xrd with new scenes?

If not, is there a version on PS4 with the orignals story mode? Kinda like how P4 Arena Ultimax had the P4 Arena story mode also.

petran79

Banned
Story is included in Rev2,with additional story for the DLC characters in arcade mode. Which should have been included in Rev1 in the first place.

Slaythe

The story from Xrd Sign and Rev 1 is included with Rev 2?

If so ill go out and buy it tomorrow lol.

Rev 2 features all of Rev 1 but not Xrd.

I think it has some recap for Xrd.

It's probably on youtube though if you want to watch it, but Xrd sign was very long.

petran79

Banned
Sorry,I though you meant Rev1 story.

OG Xrd story also had English voices and was a little better than Rev.

Badass Ramlethal was best character.

wwm0nkey

Might make a thread, but it looks like Dragon Ball Fighterz announcement boosted Guilty Gear Revelator sales by 10k copies on Steam since the leak and reveal

colinp

Banned
Might make a thread, but it looks like Dragon Ball Fighterz announcement boosted Guilty Gear Revelator sales by 10k copies on Steam since the leak and reveal

That's amazing, ahahaha.

It actually got me more interested in learning about Dragon Ball so I guess it all evens out somehow.

petran79

Banned
That's amazing, ahahaha.

It actually got me more interested in learning about Dragon Ball so I guess it all evens out somehow.

Xrd animation is too stellar to be ignored in favour of 3d games. Glad this game helped to make Arcsys more known. But they'll see that Xrd is a different beast to tame.

I'd only be excited if they made a fighting game based on 3x3 Eyes manga. Essentially it is a seinen version of Dragon Ball with less bullshit,better design,more violence and drama,better characters and more adventure across Asia. I like it even more than the first 50 volumes of One Piece.

Having read Sazan Eyes I dont even want to touch DBZ. At least Arcsys made Hokuto no Ken so I cant complain.

Mill0

Neo Member
I must say it's a little frustrating to see Guilty Gear Xrd series pass on by with low sales and little mainstream recognition; while a Dragon Ball Z incarnation of it get all the praise on E3 (it does look amazing obviusl).

I hope the new DBZ is a comemrcial hit, so Arc Systems may create new IP's and carry on GG.

Pompadour

I must say it's a little frustrating to see Guilty Gear Xrd series pass on by with low sales and little mainstream recognition; while a Dragon Ball Z incarnation of it get all the praise on E3 (it does look amazing obviusl).

I hope the new DBZ is a comemrcial hit, so Arc Systems may create new IP's and carry on GG.

Fighting games are a niche genre so they've been relying on bigger IPs for awhile either through guest characters, crossovers, or licensed games.

Regardless, it's a good thing if it gets more people to play Xrd. It's my favorite fighting game, gameplay wise, this gen but the online population is like 100 people. It's fun to play if I can find someone with a decent connection to play with.

Also, I think people are more accepting of the anime style because it makes the game look like DBZ. In general, though, that aesthetic isn't common for the better selling fighting games.

Kuksune

Xrd animation is too stellar to be ignored in favour of 3d games. Glad this game helped to make Arcsys more known. But they'll see that Xrd is a different beast to tame.

I'd only be excited if they made a fighting game based on 3x3 Eyes manga. Essentially it is a seinen version of Dragon Ball with less bullshit,better design,more violence and drama,better characters and more adventure across Asia. I like it even more than the first 50 volumes of One Piece.

Having read Sazan Eyes I dont even want to touch DBZ. At least Arcsys made Hokuto no Ken so I cant complain.
3x3 eyes sounds cool, i'll check it out in the future :)

So the DBZ game has me pretty excited and I want to get into GGXrd now.

I already own Revelator on PS4 from a sale. Had fun learning the mechanics but got kind of scared off from the depth and general fast pace of the game. Also couldn't find many people to play with at the time so there was that. Now I'm willing to learn + I have a few more people to play against.

Do I have to spring the full 40$ for Rev2? Or is there an upgrade option?

There's an upgrade DLC option for $20. Probably need to find it under the Add-Ons for the first Rev.
Oh great, that's not too bad. From the last time I toyed around with the game, I enjoyed playing as Sin. His long range was pretty fun.

Are there any characters with a heavy focus on strong grounded tools? In most games, I generally prefer those types of characters.

Fandangox

Man the onlune for Rev 2 is kind of dead in PS now, before for Rev 1 it wasn't populated, but feela emptier now. Also I am a fool I signed up for Smash 4 for CEO, but I stayed up all night practicing. Rev2 instead I'll drown in pools quickly..

Zissou

I can always find people in player match rooms (or whatever they're called) to play with. I've never even bothered with ranked.

Kikirin

Oh great, that's not too bad. From the last time I toyed around with the game, I enjoyed playing as Sin. His long range was pretty fun.

Are there any characters with a heavy focus on strong grounded tools? In most games, I generally prefer those types of characters.

Sin's a decent choice. Also consider:

Ky: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/GGXRD-R2/Ky_Kiske
Faust: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/GGXRD-R2/Faust
Axl: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/GGXRD-R2/Axl_Low
Johnny: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/GGXRD-R2/Johnny

Specifics (like frame data) may be out of date due to Rev 2 being somewhat recent, but the general gameplans and strengths are about the same.

mooncakes

http://steamcommunity.com/games/520440/announcements/detail/2449244230263073079

New patch for Steam
The much anticipated "After Story B" is now out on Steam! Users can watch the new Story chapter "After Story B" after applying this patch.
Also, we have included several other performance fixes for better overall gameplay experience.

The main features of this patch are as follows:
-Added "After Story B"*.
*Users will need to purchase the "GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 Upgrade" DLC to access the After Stories. Also, users will need to clear the main Story mode first.
-Tweaked general online features of the game for better stability.

We have also fixed the following issues:
- When accessing the Training Mode while using Elphelt in her Arrange Costume "Elphelt -SIGN- Ver.", upon changing characters using the in-mode pause menu, the game crashed.
- During Rank Match entry, upon setting the Training Environment to "Previous Environment", the user will disconnect upon matching up with an opponent during Training mode.
- In Lobby/Player Match, pressing "Confirm" button while sitting at a game cabinet and having the chat window maximised will both confirm the match and chat message at the same time, causing inconvenience.

We are continuing to improve the functionality of the game to provide the maximum play experience for the users.
Please do look forward to it.

bumpkin

I know this is a really vague question, but if I don't already own Xrd, is Rev 2 worth picking up? Is there much in the way of single player content (story, etc.)?

I have never actually owned a GG outside of XX on PS2, and I own BlazBlue (the original) on 360, but the announcement of DB Figher Z has me considering returning to the world of GG.

Man the onlune for Rev 2 is kind of dead in PS now, before for Rev 1 it wasn't populated, but feela emptier now. Also I am a fool I signed up for Smash 4 for CEO, but I stayed up all night practicing. Rev2 instead I'll drown in pools quickly..

A lot of the more serious player base has moved to steam to my understanding. I'm planning on picking up that version myself when it's a bit cheaper.

Alanae

Last I checked the online lobbies of the PC version were deserted. And this was shortly after Rev2 released.

You have to check the player lobbies.
Not to mention from my experience people just gather in just a handfull of countries in each area, regardless of whether they actually live there or not.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
You have to check the player lobbies.
Not to mention from my experience people just gather in just a handfull of countries in each area, regardless of whether they actually live there or not.

From what I remember Europeans basically just uses France #1 for everything.

Sayad

I know this is a really vague question, but if I don't already own Xrd, is Rev 2 worth picking up? Is there much in the way of single player content (story, etc.)?

I have never actually owned a GG outside of XX on PS2, and I own BlazBlue (the original) on 360, but the announcement of DB Figher Z has me considering returning to the world of GG.
It's only $40, and has tones of content, even while not counting any of the online competitive stuff:
- Arcade mode(with proper prolouge and ending for each character)
- Story mode(+2 hours anime)
- Tutorial mode(with actual effort put into it)
- Mission mode(Challenges you go through that also teaches the game mechanics)
- Combo Challenges
- Digital Figure Mode(photo mode where you pose the characters for a photo shoot)
- M.O.M mode(survival/RPG style mode where you unlock special abilities and develop your stats, etc)
- Gallery with a lot of contents and an encyclopedia about the game world's lore/characters/story/etc... For those who are LTTP.

Game has more single player stuff than any other fighting game in recent years, even if you don't hear much about it.

Top Bottom