• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

Naite

It's cool they keep adding stuff to digital figure mode but it takes so much damn money to fish out everything now. I'm still not there since Rev 2.
I just get my controller with turbo buttons, select stylish mode slayer, change the kick button to x, and leave it with the x button held. After leaving it on overnight, I had enough money to fish everything.

Perineum

How difficult are Answer and Baiken execution wise?

For example I suck at someone like Johnny execution wise when I tried Rev1. I could do a good chunk of Potemkin and Faust combos though, minus the 1F link shit that Potemkin has.

Sayad

They're both on the difficult side, and with Baiken it's not just combo execution, timing counters is pretty demanding too.

Execution wise they both aren't that bad relatively I feel

I think they're both pretty advanced picks though. I think Baiken requires a lot of system and matchup knowledge to play competently at even mid level.

Answer is just really really green in general right now.(and has some problems in design) As a result he's underdeveloped and underused rn. He's a fun character to play and to lab, but I think beginners are going to hit a wall pretty quickly with the character.

If either one makes the game fun for you go for it, but if you're looking to learn the game long term and are still open to the rest of the cast honestly I'd keep looking.

Perineum

Lame. It was more of a "do I pony up to upgrade to REV2 when I am happy with T7 right now" kind of a questioning. If Baiken wasn't too hard execution wise then I'd be more inclined to pick it up and try to learn some GG, but I'll pass.

Anime games still have the biggest execution barrier for me, compared to any other 2D fighters.

Forward

Anime games still have the biggest execution barrier for me, compared to any other 2D fighters.

It is not you, lol. Be very greatful FRCs are a thing of the past... and that the past in the past. Because my god were they an unnecessary pain. Ino is actually a fun character to use now that she doesn't require a dash-partioned just frame FRC that only one SSS tier Macross unit made flesh could pull off consistently, to be effective. F FRCs.

Perineum

It is not you, lol. Be very greatful FRCs are a thing of the past... and that the past in the past. Because my god were they an unnecessary pain. Ino is actually a fun character to use now that she doesn't require a dash-partioned just frame FRC that only one SSS tier Macross unit made flesh could pull off consistently, to be effective. F FRCs.

Yeah I can safely say old GG's were for God tier players only. I-No even in her current form gives me trouble to do her combos.

The great part about Potemkin and Faust for me was you get a LOT for very little, and I saw a combo video for Baiken doing 60% without much effort it seemed , but I know just because it looks easy in GG doesn't mean it really is lol.

I respect people who can play this game well. I'm not one of them haha.

You're picking hard characters. There are way easier characters to play than Johnny, Potemkin and Baiken in the game.

If you ever come back just stick with Faust. Most stable pick in the game and literally the only thing he has even remotely hard execution wise is FDC j.2k.

Perineum

You're picking hard characters. There are way easier characters to play than Johnny, Potemkin and Baiken in the game.

If you ever come back just stick with Faust. Most stable pick in the game and literally the only thing he has even remotely hard execution wise is FDC j.2k.

Yeah but settling on a character when cooler characters exist SUCKS.

Tekken for me right now is a blast because anyone I want to main I can effectively play and do their shit with barring a few members of the cast. EWGF boyz ask for a bit more.

Street Fighter, KoF, Mahvel, and many others I can pick who I want and play them to a lot of their full potential.

I'm sure at some point Guilty will come out with a less demanding character that resonates with me full on.

Yeah but settling on a character when cooler characters exist SUCKS.

Tekken for me right now is a blast because anyone I want to main I can effectively play and do their shit with barring a few members of the cast. EWGF boyz ask for a bit more.

Street Fighter, KoF, Mahvel, and many others I can pick who I want and play them to a lot of their full potential.

I'm sure at some point Guilty will come out with a less demanding character that resonates with me full on.

I mean I guess. I don't know what your definition of difficulty is here. Personally Tekken and KoF I find to be way more difficult to learn than Guilty Gear.

patchday

Guilty Gear REV is one of my favorite fighters but yeah found Tekken immediately rewarding to hop online with. Still been too intimidated with GG Xrd to hop online. should just hop on to see how bad it will go

It's tough to find time because I still play IJ2 a ton online. So my favs been IJ2, GG REV, & Tekken 7

I mean I guess. I don't know what your definition of difficulty is here. Personally Tekken and KoF I find to be way more difficult to learn than Guilty Gear.

oh? but it seems so easy to do the basic moves in Tekken in comparison. Granted, I'm not accounting for master backdash cancel and crap like that in T7.

Sayad

Either edge characters like Raven and Zato or the closest thing to a traps character in Xrd which is Dizzy... I know what you're thinking, but don't be silly, no one plays Bedman. ;p

LordKasual

Banned
Just picked up Rev2.

Been playing the latest UNIEL. That game is a cakewalk compared to GG.

Baiken is pretty cool. Love the way she animated.

Answer is the most fucking hilarious fighting game character i've ever seen. I think i might try and main him, he reminds me alot of Bang from Blazblue.

I really, really hate how ASW doesn't translate their games anymore, because I really wish i knew WTF Answer was saying during battle.

I have never seen a more disrespectful fighting game character

Lame. It was more of a "do I pony up to upgrade to REV2 when I am happy with T7 right now" kind of a questioning. If Baiken wasn't too hard execution wise then I'd be more inclined to pick it up and try to learn some GG, but I'll pass.

I'd look into the Under Night In Birth series.

After tons of 2D fighting games, I can without a doubt say that UNIEL/UNIEST is one of the most accessible, mechanically well-designed, and solid 2D fighting game i've ever played.

It actually rewards you for defense, combo pathing is so easy that it's just intuitive, and its characters are pretty unique and decently designed around one another.

I don't know how to usee properly training mode besides learning combos

- Blockstrings

- Oki

- Setups and frame traps

- confirms.

As for combos, it's useful to pay attention to which attacks you land often, get punished after using, ect ect.

If you commonly tag people with something, but can never confirm it into damage, that's something you should spend a while practicing. It's those little things that make a huge difference.

Blockstrings is another really, really big one. When people learn your blockstrings, they learn to stop fearing your offense. It's not always about high/low mixup -- alot of that can be dealt with off reaction sometimes. Sometimes opening people up is just as simple as making them impatient, or betraying when they think they can punish you.

I wanna grab this for my PC, but before I do, I just want to clarify... the 44.99 USD Steam package comes with ALL the characters, right? I don't care about optional color packs, just wanna make sure the version I get has access to every character.

I wanna grab this for my PC, but before I do, I just want to clarify... the 44.99 USD Steam package comes with ALL the characters, right? I don't care about optional color packs, just wanna make sure the version I get has access to every character.

It does I just bought it today. How is Raven I played him alittle in XRD but I sold my ps4 before I ever got to put any real time into him.

Either edge characters like Raven and Zato or the closest thing to a traps character in Xrd which is Dizzy... I know what you're thinking, but don't be silly, no one plays Bedman. ;p
yeah no one seems to really hit that niche testament was in, i feel for anji players too. How is Kum? he seems to have a similar oki game to Raven but left / right instead of high / low. Also, whats the issue with bedman?

This game is impossible on a controller I used to play with a fighstick on my ps4 and I just bought one for pc I just can't do the inputs on an analog stick.

Deimo5

What is up with Venom's advanced 1 combo trial? There are a couple of ball sets in the example but they aren't on the move list. Are these actually required to complete the combo properly?
I just did it anyway but was wondering.

Sayad

Whelp!
xGYR5B.gif

Man I'm terrible at this game I'm decent at Blazeblue and Street Fighter but here it's like none of my normal playing ability helps me at all. I haven't gone online yet though since all I've been doing is practicing maybe playing on a fight stick again will help.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Man I'm terrible at this game I'm decent at Blazeblue and Street Fighter but here it's like none of my normal playing ability helps me at all. I haven't gone online yet though since all I've been doing is practicing maybe playing on a fight stick again will help.

GG definitely plays faster than BB or SF, it takes some getting used to.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Try axl, leo, venom, or may since you like charge characters

If you want to stick with raven
https://youtu.be/AVoD3r09D-o?t=14m44s
Watch Kazunoko
GG definitely plays faster than BB
Nah, it's a spacing thing GG stages are smaller which gives that perception.

GGXXAC Though now that's actually faster lol

emiliano

I'm a complete zero at this game (just like any other fighting game). I'm about to finish the story mode with all the characters. After that I would try to take the game seriously and I need a little help to choose a character that would help me with the ropes. I though of one of these: Sol, Ky, May, Millia, Slayer, Raven and Jam. I honestly don't have a real preference, I really like most of the cast.
What would you pick? There's any other char I could consider?

I'm a complete zero at this game (just like any other fighting game). I'm about to finish the story mode with all the characters. After that I would try to take the game seriously and I need a little help to choose a character that would help me with the ropes. I though of one of these: Sol, Ky, May, Millia, Slayer, Raven and Jam. I honestly don't have a real preference, I really like most of the cast.

Ky is probably the simplest character of those. He's a good jack of all trades, and he was my most used on X back on the PS2.
Sol is good for rushdown and has Volcanic Viper, which is awesome. He's one of those who scales with the players ability, so you can benefit from him at low level, unlike people like Zato-1 and Johnny.
Slayer gives you the best goddamn crouch animation in gaming.
May is weird. She's fairly technical, but aside from being a charge character, she's not too tough. I'd say she's probably the most difficult easy to use character.
Millia is tough. She's great, but a glass cannon, and relies on getting her mixups and okizeme correct.
Jam is my main. She's beginner friendly, but doesn't have much range.
Raven I have no idea about, sorry.

Out of those, Ky, Jam, and Sol are the easiest, while May is the simplest harder character to use.

For other beginner friendly characters, in my opinion you have:
Sin, who is really simple. He has a gimmick where he needs to eat to manage a separate meter that drains with special usage, but you just combo them, finish with a move that knocks them away, then eat the meat.
Leo, I never use him, but he's always on beginner character lists. He has a back turned stance.
Faust. He has fantastic normals, and a playstyle that relies on throwing RNG items, which is both his main strength and weakness.

This is the first fighting game I've ever really gotten into so I'm a total noob and I've found myself really liking Ky. I enjoy his versatility and range quite a bit. I'd also recommend Sin as he is fun and has some strong specials that are easy enough to execute.

mooncakes

Check this out to see what characters you want to play as if you are still deciding to pick .It goes over pretty much on each character play-style, strengths and weaknesses.

Ky is relatively simple and effective. He is like the Ryu of Guilty Gear since he pretty much all the tools he needs.

Personally, I say pick character who you think is the coolest to play as. If you like a character, you are willing to learn the game more.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Wasn't expecting more story content, can't wait to dig into After Story C!

edit: just finished it... that was amazing haha

Xhorder

Personally, I say pick character who you think is the coolest to play as. If you like a character, you are willing to learn the game more.

This is true. If you really like a character, you are willing to learn the game more. Just know that some characters are a bit harder to master.

As a beginner myself I really like Sin. He is pretty cool and an easy character to learn. His strength is that he can combo all of his specials into each other, making it pretty easy to do some deadly combos. His weakness is that he has to eat and there is a little meter management involved. But there are ways to manage that (combo into eating, or eat while hiding behind a super move).

emiliano

Thank you guys for the precious advices. I wasn't expecting for Jam to be on the easy side, I always thought of her as a tough technical char, even if I always have really a good feeling using her. She's probably my most used.
I put Slayer and Millia on the list almost as a joke, they are really fun to use against the cpu, but I think that online would be another matter entirely.
For now I think I'll stick with Ky, is not the most visually cool character for me, but the feeling he gives is so damn good. I started the gg crash course with him yesterday, and I found that he's shockingly easy for applying the the tutorial's notions.

And I know it's silly but I have to ask, there's any way to see the arcade mode scores and other info not related to online mode, like the usage percentage?

Perineum

Bought it today for $20.

I'll try to do some Baiken combos tomorrow to see how I fair out. If not, then back to Potemkin busting fools I suppose.

Perineum

Baiken and Answer are SO fucking cool. I messed with them today for combo tutorials and both are in the advanced 1 section of stuff, and I got turned off when it is so much to memorize.

However, I like Baiken enough as a character that I am willing to at least learn basic bitch combos that can do 25-35% damage, and just go online with that shit.

Answer was surprising. His moveset is fun as hell when you are teleporting around like a mad man.

Who are the two best players at each to watch?

Spuck-uk

Banned
Baiken and Answer are SO fucking cool. I messed with them today for combo tutorials and both are in the advanced 1 section of stuff, and I got turned off when it is so much to memorize.

However, I like Baiken enough as a character that I am willing to at least learn basic bitch combos that can do 25-35% damage, and just go online with that shit.

Answer was surprising. His moveset is fun as hell when you are teleporting around like a mad man.

Who are the two best players at each to watch?

'Sharon' is AFAIK the best Baiken player

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
sharon mainly plays raven now, I think. Haven't seen him play Baiken in quite a while.

Kuksune

Been playing some offline with a few friends lately. Problem is one of them plays Leo really good and i'm having problems with trying to get out of Leo's rekkas and backstance. I try to blitz and/or use dead angle to interrupt him, i've sometimes managed to just guard and follow up with a Potemkin buster or a regular throw.

Some helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

I got my fight stick games a lot easier now I freaking love the music in this game they should put it on Spotify or even sell a soundtrack I'd buy it.

vocab

Been playing some offline with a few friends lately. Problem is one of them plays Leo really good and i'm having problems with trying to get out of Leo's rekkas and backstance. I try to blitz and/or use dead angle to interrupt him, i've sometimes managed to just guard and follow up with a Potemkin buster or a regular throw.

Some helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Learn Leo so you can fight against him better. That character is designed to beat lower level players with ease.

Top Bottom