• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

bumpkin

It's only $40, and has tones of content, even while not counting any of the online competitive stuff:
- Arcade mode(with proper prolouge and ending for each character)
- Story mode(+2 hours anime)
- Tutorial mode(with actual effort put into it)
- Mission mode(Challenges you go through that also teaches the game mechanics)
- Combo Challenges
- Digital Figure Mode(photo mode where you pose the characters for a photo shoot)
- M.O.M mode(survival/RPG style mode where you unlock special abilities and develop your stats, etc)
- Gallery with a lot of contents and an encyclopedia about the game world's lore/characters/story/etc... For those who are LTTP.

Game has more single player stuff than any other fighting game in recent years, even if you don't hear much about it.
Thanks for the rundown... Damn, it does sound pretty packed with features. I might have to grab it if it's still on the shelf when I go back to work on Monday (the shop is a 2 minute walk from the office).

Picked this up, planning to start playing tonight. Wasn't into -Sign- when it came out due to how little content it offered, but -Revelator- with Rev2 offers substantially more. Also, back then, I didn't appreciate how much effort and detail truly went into each character which DBFZ has given me a much greater appreciation for, so coming at it from a different perspective helps too. Grew up on Guilty Gear, XX #Reload in particular. Been dying to get back into the series and my hype for ASW is as high as it's ever been so I'm ready to rock once again!

ChanMan

It's only $40, and has tones of content, even while not counting any of the online competitive stuff:
- Arcade mode(with proper prolouge and ending for each character)
- Story mode(+2 hours anime)
- Tutorial mode(with actual effort put into it)
- Mission mode(Challenges you go through that also teaches the game mechanics)
- Combo Challenges
- Digital Figure Mode(photo mode where you pose the characters for a photo shoot)
- M.O.M mode(survival/RPG style mode where you unlock special abilities and develop your stats, etc)
- Gallery with a lot of contents and an encyclopedia about the game world's lore/characters/story/etc... For those who are LTTP.

Game has more single player stuff than any other fighting game in recent years, even if you don't hear much about it.

Really tempted but part of me still doesn't think its worth it for that price for me personally due to my past experiences with GG games. I just never stick with them for long.

I love how almost every character has stuff that in a lot of other fighting games would be considered cheap but it doesn't matter here.

It feels so damn empowering, whizzing around the screen and being able to do hype AF stuff.

Sayad

I love how almost every character has stuff that in a lot of other fighting games would be considered cheap but it doesn't matter here.

It feels so damn empowering, whizzing around the screen and being able to do hype AF stuff.
True, they nerf unblockables by making them cost meter, they've really done a great job balancing the game while being careful not to turn players away from their characters, with the exception of SIGN 1.00 Ram(lol), they haven't went ham on anyone.

You can't get away with as many broken stuff unless you have very strong defensive options! *wink wink nudge nudge

Fucking Answer.

What an amazing design. Love the fact that this son of a bitch is always on a call, even when he's staggered or falling down or getting hit or in blockstun.

This has probably already been answered but I couldn't find it - if you buy the $20 Rev2 upgrade, does it comes with the previous dlc characters from Rev1 or not?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
This has probably already been answered but I couldn't find it - if you buy the $20 Rev2 upgrade, does it comes with the previous dlc characters from Rev1 or not?

No. If you didn't get them fishing or when they launched you won't have them. (At least his was the case when the game first came out. I havent played it since tekken came out).

Korigama

No. If you didn't get them fishing or when they launched you won't have them. (At least his was the case when the game first came out. I havent played it since tekken came out).
Raven could be fished, as he was the only one of the three who could be unlocked with in-game currency. Anyone who didn't get Dizzy or Haehyun while they were free to download is out of luck, though.

How active is the PC version? I want to get Rev 2 for when I need to take a break from T7, but back when I played Sign on PC it was pretty dead. Is it about the same or is the playerbase more consistent than it was then?

One thing that just keeps making me stop in my tracks to admire is how stylish everything is.

The backgrounds, the music, the animations, the hit effects, the movesets. The presentation of this game is perhaps the best I've seen in any fighting game.

maks

Does ASW put character DLC on sale on PSN? I did get all the GG free characters but missed some for BBCF.

Trickster

Anyone that can tell me how active is the pc community? Will I be able to find online matches?

Edit - Bought it and upgraded to Rev 2. But in every region I've looked, all the lobies are empty 0/64 ?

OmegaDL50

Just wondering. I'm guessing there is a future character that might be released.

Because looking at the character select screen there is a very obvious blank spot in between Slayer and Venom, which I'm guessing is being reserved for a future character?

1495833157_59_guilty-gear-xrd-rev-2-review-a-mixed-blessing.jpg

I just grabbed the all-in-one complete pack on Steam and just starting to play this new installment. The last GG game I placed was XX Accent Core R

Seyob

All lobbies there are 0/64. If I search for a ranked match i get one guy called rikky even though i set the parameters to search for people at my level, and any in the rest of the options
player match is where ppl are. There is no need to go through the lobbies anymore so few players hang out there. just look for lobbies and you'll find some European ones. It's rare i can't find anyone to play with

Espada

Does Rev2 continue the main story from Revelator, so from
the defeat of Ariels and That Man's identity reveal
?

Yes, they've been adding After Stories that take place after the events you mentioned. They just released After Story B recently for the PC. I suspect we'll be getting those for a while because each After Story is focused on a different group of characters.

Yes, they've been adding After Stories that take place after the events you mentioned. They just released After Story B recently for the PC. I suspect we'll be getting those for a while because each After Story is focused on a different group of characters.

Oh, sweet.
I've never really been that knowledgeable on the GG story because I only owned X, Isuka and vanilla Accent Core, which were the ones that basically had no story modes, but I loved the story in Revelator.

Espada

Oh, sweet.
I've never really been that knowledgeable on the GG story because I only owned X, Isuka and vanilla Accent Core, which were the ones that basically had no story modes, but I loved the story in Revelator.

Yeah, the story mode was a fun ride and I love the GG World encyclopedia in-game. They way it links you to names and terms mentioned is pretty slick.

BigAT

How is the online matchmaking in this? Will it recognize how awful I am and at least attempt to match me with similarly awful players?

Is the PC multiplayer community active? Will definitely pick this up on the summer sale even if its only a minor discount. Didn't end up playing Xrd Sign that much but what I played was completely amazing and I'd love to get back into it, especially with a good tutorial in there.

Pompadour

Just wondering. I'm guessing there is a future character that might be released.

Because looking at the character select screen there is a very obvious blank spot in between Slayer and Venom, which I'm guessing is being reserved for a future character?

I just grabbed the all-in-one complete pack on Steam and just starting to play this new installment. The last GG game I placed was XX Accent Core R

You look like you're missing the DLC characters Raven, Dizzy, and Kum.

muteki

You look like you're missing the DLC characters Raven, Dizzy, and Kum.

They go in the locations with lock icons in the corners, with all the DLC that middle space is still there. Maybe it was never meant to be a character, maybe it was and was cancelled, maybe there is still one on the way, I dunno. Based off the story mode and who is missing it could be Robo-Ky, but who knows.

Pompadour

They go in the locations with lock icons in the corners, with all the DLC that middle space is still there. Maybe it was never meant to be a character, maybe it was and was cancelled, maybe there is still one on the way, I dunno. Based off the story mode and who is missing it could be Robo-Ky, but who knows.

I misread. I saw that he bought the "all-in-one complete pack" and saw all the locks so I figured that's what he was inquiring about.

T.O.P

Banned
Is the PC multiplayer community active? Will definitely pick this up on the summer sale even if its only a minor discount. Didn't end up playing Xrd Sign that much but what I played was completely amazing and I'd love to get back into it, especially with a good tutorial in there.

Same here, grabbing this if it goes on sale for a good price

Essay

Noob question, do you have to faultless defend to block air to air attacks?

Nope, just ground-to-air normals and certain grounded special moves. The only air attack I can ever remember having to air-FD was
Zappa's old air-fireball when Raoh was summoned in GGXXAC+R. No similar-fun allowed in Xrd... yet....

Essay

Generally no, though I wouldn't be surprised if there are exceptions such as moves that start on the ground but go into the air.

There is, in fact, no shortage of moves like this. Many DP's like Volcanic Viper behave in this way.

On the other side of the coin, Venom has his j.236H, which starts in the air, but counts as a grounded move that you have to FD at the end, when he kicks back up.

kaskade

Damn, steam doesn't have the game on sale, if I buy the rev upgrade it'd be more expensive than the ps4 version.

is sign worth it or should I just go with rev2 as my first in the series.

Kuksune

Damn, steam doesn't have the game on sale, if I buy the rev upgrade it'd be more expensive than the ps4 version.

is sign worth it or should I just go with rev2 as my first in the series.

You can watch the entire story mode of -SIGN- on youtube. So in my opinion, just get REV2.

So I've been playing Ky for a bit and I've been wanting to dable into another character for an alt. I'm looking for something opposite than a zoner so I've been thinking about may or pot. Baiken looks interesting but I'm not sure how she plays or maybe a noob friendly rush down or defensive char? Any recommendations?

mooncakes

So I've been playing Ky for a bit and I've been wanting to dable into another character for an alt. I'm looking for something opposite than a zoner so I've been thinking about may or pot. Baiken looks interesting but I'm not sure how she plays or maybe a noob friendly rush down or defensive char? Any recommendations?

Join the Slayer army. All you need is a counterhit Pilebunker in every matchup.

But really though, If you want to play a rush down character, just try out all the characters to see what you like. All characters can rushdown but they mostly play differently from each other.

With Steam sales and the DB Fighterz announcement, I finally bit the bullet (get it ?) and bought XRD + rev 2. I'm sure I'm not the only one that had the same idea so if some gaffers scrubs want to learn the basics with me, gimme a shout.

I haven't played GG since XX on PS2 so 'm gonna spend some time in the awesome training mode.

Top Bottom