• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

Sayad

Millia's new j.HS!?!
EfRiOVM.jpg

YoungOne

Some of these changes for elph I don't know how to feel about it especially hearing she lost her 5hhhh knockdown. It is a loketest though so it can still change.

Sayad

Some of these changes for elph I don't know how to feel about it especially hearing she lost her 5hhhh knockdown. It is a loketest though so it can still change.

5HHHH is now special cancel-able though, doesn't she have anything that would still lead to knockdown from it?

Rutger

Banned
No more 1 damage shuriken, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

They made Chipp's wall cling easier, that's not a big deal, but nice nonetheless. Overall, he's not that different, which I expected.

Sayad

What are the changes?

Edit: I'll just jump in the OT forgot that we had one since its never active.

Millia Rage
-jH changed to a new move.
-Input reception buffer on roll followups increased
-Digitalis startup faster, untech time increased
-S pin motion and untech time changed
-H pin added, motion is j214H
-Bad Moon gains additional properties when done above a certain height
-Secret garden hitbox appears later.
-Chroming roses disappear on hit.

The new j.HS(right screen):
https://clips.twitch.tv/majinobama/glamorousshrimpbleedpurple

MechaX

Very. Personally not pleased with that change, either.

That sucks. I know the minions can be annoying as fuck, but that change seems kind of overboard.

As an aside, when looking for Jack-O threads on GameFAQs, I have never seen some people get so red with rage at a character.

you play fighting games?

Only ones that keep the phat ass good characters I am interested in fairly balanced.

miku

stretching the definition of soonish

lol

sure ask them on twitter about it

Pretty sure this was before the vs. mode demo dropped.

No no they did mention it again.

But it was pathetic. I forgot what it was.

Nah it was after. Demo was announced at the beginning of the month by them

http://www.aksysgames.com/2016/04/0...or-preorder-demo-available-for-ps4-psn-today/

They never mentioned it again, so I imagine either there was a lack of communication somewhere or whatever they did have planned just didn't pan out

I'm pretty sure our surprise was a colored manual.

Yeah, so I was looking at Aksys's manager tweets and looks like is still a thing

https://mobile.twitter.com/Aksys_Danny/status/781593884241502209

The GGR item? Hoping laaaaate Q4 or January at the latest.

Baiken mousepad probably

cj_iwakura

Finished Sign's story mode.

Well, uh, that was mostly a lot of nothing. I'm glad Paradigm showed up, and the cast appearances(especially Gabriel and most everyone having a small role) were nice, but it doesn't feel like anything really happened?

I'm most intrigued by the scene with Faust at the end. Just seems baffling they didn't incorporate fights, as the story was set up with some really awesome potential battles, namely Sol against
Dark Elphelt or whatever

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Sol
rode a rocket while they fed someone hamburgers
, I'm not sure what else you need in the rich tapestry of guilty gear lore.
Though I don't know if there was a lack of 'serious' stuff happening- there was Justice and fighting in Ky's silly city, but Guilty Gear is probably best when it's not trying to take its dumb plot too seriously and just has Chipp running around failing to understand what a President or ninja actually is. A lot of it is setup for Revelator but I dunno if that will solve your problems- it's a bit longer but structured fairly similarly.

The complete lack of fights is weird- I feel like there's a middle ground between 'no gameplay at all' and 'hey we're in the same room for more than a millisecond let's fight', and on a replay on PC you just end up skipping through what's basically an hour long c-grade anime to get Raven or whatever.

ScOULaris

Got the game a few days ago and have been taking my licks online. I'm probably rocking somewhere around a 10% win rate right now, haha. Steadily improving though.

Why the hell did they change Johnny's Mist Finer input in this game though? It's throwing off years of muscle memory for me mid-combo.

Really glad I decided to pick this game up for $20 on Amazon. It's excellent.

Korigama

Finished Sign's story mode.

Well, uh, that was mostly a lot of nothing. I'm glad Paradigm showed up, and the cast appearances(especially Gabriel and most everyone having a small role) were nice, but it doesn't feel like anything really happened?

I'm most intrigued by the scene with Faust at the end. Just seems baffling they didn't incorporate fights, as the story was set up with some really awesome potential battles, namely Sol against
Dark Elphelt or whatever
Not making players bother with fights and making it purely an anime mini-series is part of the reason why I felt that it worked as well as it did. Personally, I've had my fill of that formula in fighting games where developers look to find ways to strike a (generally poor) balance between story and gameplay, especially given how contrived the reasons for battles tend to be in so many other fighting game stories, so seeing the Xrd games focus on the former as they wish to while other modes prioritize the latter suits them fine.

The arcade mode episodes that occur before it worked well enough for when I wanted gameplay with my story.

cj_iwakura

Not making players bother with fights and making it purely an anime mini-series is part of the reason why I felt that it worked as well as it did. Personally, I've had my fill of that formula in fighting games where developers look to find ways to strike a (generally poor) balance between story and gameplay, especially given how contrived the reasons for battles tend to be in so many other fighting game stories, so seeing the Xrd games focus on the former as they wish to while other modes prioritize the latter suits them fine.

The arcade mode episodes that occur before it worked well enough for when I wanted gameplay with my story.

That's all good and fine, but if there's a very good reason to have a fight play out, what harm does it do to include it?

King Kye

Banned
Got the game a few days ago and have been taking my licks online. I'm probably rocking somewhere around a 10% win rate right now, haha. Steadily improving though.

Why the hell did they change Johnny's Mist Finer input in this game though? It's throwing off years of muscle memory for me mid-combo.

Really glad I decided to pick this game up for $20 on Amazon. It's excellent.
Took me a while to get used to the Johnny change I hated it.

Glad you seem to be enjoying the game

Korigama

That's all good and fine, but if there's a very good reason to have a fight play out, what harm does it do to include it?
I just don't find it all that fulfilling in a fighting game format. With other genres of games, even with character-action games, the integration feels more natural when transitioning between gameplay and cutscene. Going from dramatically angled and choreographed cutscenes to the mechanical and movement limitations specific to the fighter in question before shifting right back comes off as disjointed.

For games that do use that approach, like with BlazBlue (though somewhat less awkward in the transition, as the story is largely told with far more limited visual novel-style conversations), the framing within the story and the actual challenge of the fights themselves just make it feel like idle busywork, "do this and then you can have more story!", more or less.

I think the arcade mode is there if you want that.

I also prefer Xrd's approach over the traditional one. I mean it wouldn't even work since in the biggest battles in the game are fought between or against NPC's, and a lot of the playable characters don't even have a combatant role within the story. (Which is a good thing imo)

It just gives them more freedom than if they were pressured to make the thing interactive. The story is there to flesh out the world rather than to serve purely as context and as a vehicle for the characters fighting each other.

For games that do use that approach, like with BlazBlue (though somewhat less awkward in the transition, as the story is largely told with far more limited visual novel-style conversations), the framing within the story and the actual challenge of the fights themselves just make it feel like idle busywork, "do this and then you can have more story!", more or less.

EXACTLY why I never bothered with BB or P4A's story mode. Hell I can't even get through SFV's

Nyx

Finally bought this in a PSN sale, first GG since the original I have owned.

Been playing episode mostly to get used to everything, really love most new characters. Now playing as Bedman and it made me wonder how the hell they came up with this guy.

'Yo we need a character like Batman in the new GG, how can we do that without licencing issues boss?'

'...'

'I've got an idea sir, why don't we have a character called Bedman and actually make it a dude in a bed.'

Also really liking Jam so far, very fun to play!

Sayad

Been playing episode mostly to get used to everything, really love most new characters. Now playing as Bedman and it made me wonder how the hell they came up with this guy.

'Yo we need a character like Batman in the new GG, how can we do that without licencing issues boss?'

Bedman is like Batman?!!

ScOULaris

As much as I'm enjoying Revelator so far the online aspect is starting to wear pretty thin already. Since nobody plays ranked (for god knows what reason) there's no way of gradually improving while being paired up against players of similar skill level. In every other fighting game in existence I usually climb my way up Ranked while steadily improving, but in GG everyone just plays in lobbies with zero matchmaking.

I end up just getting absolutely obliterated in 90% of my matches even in lobbies labeled as being for "beginners" because there probably aren't any true beginners online in this game. I find it hard to even learn any lessons from these routine stompings because I can't seem to find any way to punish blockstrings as a general rule. Most players just have their way with me, rattling of endless combos and mix-ups because not a single button (playing as Johnny) seems to be able to punish anything on block.

I just wish the game was more popular so it had a functioning and thriving online ranked mode. Right now it's getting a bit tiresome hopping online and being greeted with 5-8 people in total who are all very clearly experienced and have no business playing against me.

Sorry for venting. I've never encountered this kind of frustration in any fighting game with online play. The complete lack of matchmaking really hurts the online experience for newcomers like myself. Why in the world don't people play ranked?

Onemic

As much as I'm enjoying Revelator so far the online aspect is starting to wear pretty thin already. Since nobody plays ranked (for god knows what reason) there's no way of gradually improving while being paired up against players of similar skill level. In every other fighting game in existence I usually climb my way up Ranked while steadily improving, but in GG everyone just plays in lobbies with zero matchmaking.

I end up just getting absolutely obliterated in 90% of my matches even in lobbies labeled as being for "beginners" because there probably aren't any true beginners online in this game. I find it hard to even learn any lessons from these routine stompings because I can't seem to find any way to punish blockstrings as a general rule. Most players just have their way with me, rattling of endless combos and mix-ups because not a single button (playing as Johnny) seems to be able to punish anything on block.

I just wish the game was more popular so it had a functioning and thriving online ranked mode. Right now it's getting a bit tiresome hopping online and being greeted with 5-8 people in total who are all very clearly experienced and have no business playing against me.

Sorry for venting. I've never encountered this kind of frustration in any fighting game with online play. The complete lack of matchmaking really hurts the online experience for newcomers like myself. Why in the world don't people play ranked?

Play the CPU. Seriously.

ScOULaris

Play the CPU. Seriously.

I will occasionally play the various CPU modes to practice some stuff, but I just end up mollywhopping the AI while also probably developing poor habits since it is such a far cry from the play styles of people online. At least I get coins to spend on fishing though.

Or play a different game with better matchmaking and a larger player base.

I mean, I do play other fighting games with better matchmaking. I was just hoping that I could add Revelator to my rotation of online fighters that I take seriously. I'm not giving up yet, but right now I feel like I'm starting to hit a wall with no way to improve at the rate that I'm used to from other fighting games.

Pompadour

I mean, I do play other fighting games with better matchmaking. I was just hoping that I could add Revelator to my rotation of online fighters that I take seriously. I'm not giving up yet, but right now I feel like I'm starting to hit a wall with no way to improve at the rate that I'm used to from other fighting games.

I was responding more to that garbage advice. Playing the CPU won't help you much, unfortunately, so your best bet is to maybe find a Discord where people are willing to teach you the game. Maybe Rev2 will bring back some weaker players.

Hubb

Why in the world don't people play ranked?

It is a small community. Even if they all started playing ranked, it would still have issues matching people together. It is one of the biggest issues the fighting game community has over a lot of other competitive games/genres.

The bigger the pool of players the better the match making will be, the smaller the pool the worse it'll be. Generally speaking.

ScOULaris

It is a small community. Even if they all started playing ranked, it would still have issues matching people together. It is one of the biggest issues the fighting game community has over a lot of other competitive games/genres.

The bigger the pool of players the better the match making will be, the smaller the pool the worse it'll be. Generally speaking.
Then why is it so easy to find ranked matches in games like Skullgirls and Killer Instinct? Those are both relatively niche compared to the heavy hitter franchises. Is GG really that much smaller in terms of player base?

Pompadour

Then why is it so easy to find ranked matches in games like Skullgirls and Killer Instinct? Those are both relatively niche compared to the heavy hitter franchises. Is GG really that much smaller in terms of player base?

It isn't.

From what I understand the matchmaking was garbage and often connected players to those with bad connections which, in turn, led to everyone just playing lobbies.

King Kye

Banned
Guilty Gear is the absolute worst to get into late. Unless you're really passionate about the gameplay or willing to spend time matchmaking in Discord, it's going to be rough.

But if you can persevere, as someone else said before, learning Guilty will pay dividends in other fighters.

Top Bottom