• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- |OT| - Cross Play on a Heavy Day

Zissou

When is Revelator dropping in arcades?

No date announcement AFAIK but since the last loc test just finished probably sooner rather than later. I wonder the average delay from the final loc test to proper release is for arksys stuff...

Totally noob question, but I just got a TE2 stick. It seems nice and all but I can't seem to figure out how to connect it to my PS4 despite the sub connected and it lighting up. PS button not doing anything. Am I missing something?

Zissou

Totally noob question, but I just got a TE2 stick. It seems nice and all but I can't seem to figure out how to connect it to my PS4 despite the sub connected and it lighting up. PS button not doing anything. Am I missing something?

Is the PS3/PS4 switch set to PS4 mode (do before plugging it in)?

Seik

Banned
Bought the game last week and holy shit, this is my first GG experience and I'm loving it!

I've been missing something, all this time. Almost cleared Arcade Mode with all characters while I'm waiting for my PS4 stick to arrive. :D

See some of you online soon!

OceanBlue

The more I play in lobbies the more I realize I don't know what I'm doing and just kinda do shit lol. How do you come up with basic gameplans against each character (or should I even be worried about that when I'm not comfortable with my own character)? I don't know how I'm supposed to approach learning the game or even what I'm supposed to be doing as Sol other than making my way in somehow :(.

Edit: Kinda related, but when you guys watch videos, how do you tell what's going on and learn? Like I'll watch a lot of Mocchi videos to try and learn how to play Sol, but all I can tell is that he chooses to do the right thing at the right time more than other players do. This is what it feels like to be watching videos while not understanding matchups lol.

Zissou

I watch vids one match-up at a time. Like if I'm thinking "I need to learn the Faust vs. Axl match-up better" I'll use keeponrock.in to watch a bunch of videos only of that match up. I'll note points of interest, test things I notice in training mode, and then look around for an Axl playing in a online lobby to try the new stuff against.

Rhapsody

Banned
The more I play in lobbies the more I realize I don't know what I'm doing and just kinda do shit lol. How do you come up with basic gameplans against each character (or should I even be worried about that when I'm not comfortable with my own character)? I don't know how I'm supposed to approach learning the game or even what I'm supposed to be doing as Sol other than making my way in somehow :(.

Edit: Kinda related, but when you guys watch videos, how do you tell what's going on and learn? Like I'll watch a lot of Mocchi videos to try and learn how to play Sol, but all I can tell is that he chooses to do the right thing at the right time more than other players do. This is what it feels like to be watching videos while not understanding matchups lol.

Match videos help, but you really need to learn how to break down match videos. When I'm learning a new character, for example, I tend to look at certain things first. What does the player do round start? What move is he using as a poke on the ground or air? What distance do they like to be at? Why did the opponent get opened up by that specific move? What is the response on their wakeup, my wakeup? What buttons do I press when being pressured?

Of course you don't need to process all of this at once when looking at a match. I usually narrow it down to one thing when I'm looking to reference something. I'll wonder how does my character get in on a certain matchup, and I'll focus on looking to where neutral turns into pressure. Then rewind and look at the opponent's POV and see why he allowed the opponent to get in.

Another good example is to see how a character prolongs pressure after a specific move. I'll just repeats steps like these and try to figure out reasons to why they thought it was the best choice at the time. If you're able to break down why they're pressing buttons at a specific time and distance, analyzing videos get a bit easier over time.

NEO0MJ

Question. Does the game have cross-save? I decided to buy it for the PS4 and was wondering if I can transfer my data from the PS3.

OceanBlue

I watch vids one match-up at a time. Like if I'm thinking "I need to learn the Faust vs. Axl match-up better" I'll use keeponrock.in to watch a bunch of videos only of that match up. I'll note points of interest, test things I notice in training mode, and then look around for an Axl playing in a online lobby to try the new stuff against.

Match videos help, but you really need to learn how to break down match videos. When I'm learning a new character, for example, I tend to look at certain things first. What does the player do round start? What move is he using as a poke on the ground or air? What distance do they like to be at? Why did the opponent get opened up by that specific move? What is the response on their wakeup, my wakeup? What buttons do I press when being pressured?

Of course you don't need to process all of this at once when looking at a match. I usually narrow it down to one thing when I'm looking to reference something. I'll wonder how does my character get in on a certain matchup, and I'll focus on looking to where neutral turns into pressure. Then rewind and look at the opponent's POV and see why he allowed the opponent to get in.

Another good example is to see how a character prolongs pressure after a specific move. I'll just repeats steps like these and try to figure out reasons to why they thought it was the best choice at the time. If you're able to break down why they're pressing buttons at a specific time and distance, analyzing videos get a bit easier over time.

I see. It sounds like I just need to be more focused on specific things when I watch match videos. Thanks!

Essay

Question. Does the game have cross-save? I decided to buy it for the PS4 and was wondering if I can transfer my data from the PS3.

Yep, it does. You can Upload your save data in the Options menu and then download it on any of the other copies associated with your PSN account. (Even works for transferring data between copies from different regions.)

NEO0MJ

Yep, it does. You can Upload your save data in the Options menu and then download it on any of the other copies associated with your PSN account. (Even works for transferring data between copies from different regions.)

Good to know. I should do that so I'm ready by the time the game arrives tomorrow.

Beats

GGs Beats.

I have no idea what was causing that lag since we were playing fine for a long while before it started.

Good games. The lag appearing later in the set was unfortunate. Also, sorry I couldn't put up much of a fight lol. I have not played in months though. I think I'm gonna record the dummy to do stuff later to practice blocking in this. :x

Ok, so how do you beat jump in insta-throws?

If they land behind you your character takes forever to turn around so you can't do anything even if you press a button, which seems to be the opposite case for other players so there must be a trick to cancel the turn around animation.

If they land from the front and throw any attacks I throw out goes through them completely and they just throw, and this is from me throwing out the attack and it just going through them before they even land.

I just fought someone who just kept on jumping beside me and throwing repeatedly and there wasn't anything I could do about it since all my attacks were going through instead of hitting.

Hit them out of the air if they are not using faultless defense. I guess you can jump and air throw them if they are. You can jump to avoid the throw, use FD if they are doing the throw OS. I dunno if there is any landing recovery frames and if they can be thrown during those.

You can use an invulnerable reversal if it can't be thrown.

OceanBlue

Ok, so how do you beat jump in insta-throws?

If they land behind you your character takes forever to turn around so you can't do anything even if you press a button, which seems to be the opposite case for other players so there must be a trick to cancel the turn around animation.

If they land from the front and throw any attacks I throw out goes through them completely and they just throw, and this is from me throwing out the attack and it just going through them before they even land.

I just fought someone who just kept on jumping beside me and throwing repeatedly and there wasn't anything I could do about it since all my attacks were going through instead of hitting.

I don't think there's a turn around animation, unless you're dashing, but then that's just the braking recovery.

Throws are 1f so if you're trying to beat them using normals, you're probably getting thrown out of your startup. I'm pretty sure there's landing recovery in this game, so if you were able to time a throw perfectly you could throw them before they throw you (I think?).

What situation are you in which they just empty jump throw you?

Hit them out of the air if they are not using faultless defense. I guess you can jump and air throw them if they are. You can jump to avoid the throw, use FD if they are doing the throw OS. I dunno if there is any landing recovery frames and if they can be thrown during those.

You can use an invulnerable reversal if it can't be thrown.

My reaction speed is super slow. I can only react to it when they're almost on the ground. I guess the only sensible option here is to jump away then.

I don't think there's a turn around animation, unless you're dashing, but then that's just the braking recovery.

Throws are 1f so if you're trying to beat them using normals, you're probably getting thrown out of your startup. I'm pretty sure there's landing recovery in this game, so if you were able to time a throw perfectly you could throw them before they throw you (I think?).

What situation are you in which they just empty jump throw you?

I think that kind of timing is way too precise for me to do. The person I was playing against would do random blockstring stuff then jump and land so that they were either on the opposite side of me or right in front of and immediately throw. I guess attacking at all is out of the question since I don't have pinpoint timing.

Next time I play I'll try jumping out.

OceanBlue

My reaction speed is super slow. I can only react to it when they're almost on the ground. I guess the only sensible option here is to jump away then.

I think that kind of timing is way too precise for me to do. The person I was playing against would do random blockstring stuff then jump and land so that they were either on the opposite side of me or right in front of and immediately throw. I guess attacking at all is out of the question since I don't have pinpoint timing.

Next time I play I'll try jumping out.
Ah yeah I was trying to imagine a situation where you couldn't just hit them out of the air lol. Definitely agree on jumping out.

OceanBlue

Is there any reason why someone wouldn't be able to connect with you? I found someone who I can't connect with at all. I can't even spectate their matches. I just get "Connection lost" before the match even starts.

Rhapsody

Banned
Is there any reason why someone wouldn't be able to connect with you? I found someone who I can't connect with at all. I can't even spectate their matches. I just get "Connection lost" before the match even starts.

This happened with my friend. I think the only way we got past it was for him to host. This first happened since one of the patches.

Marz

https://youtu.be/GvswYA4XTBE

Has anyone seen this new Ogawa footage from Revelator? Zato has got to be one of the most powerful, we'll rounded characters ever. I can't think of a character in a major fighting game with more tools he's fucking ridiculous. And the character has so much freedom to play however you want it's beautiful.

lupinko

I'm thinking about getting back into Xrd, I tried Jack O today and she's pretty interesting and I think the best animated ASW character to boot. She has Inazuma Kick from Aim for the Top! 1&2 so go figure.

But yeah she's pretty cool and really unique considering her game is based around the bombs and the minions. I've invested a lot of my time into Tekken 7 but Revelator has interested me again. I did want to play Ramlethal before getting bored too. I have Xrd at home for practicing combos I guess, but it's the PS3 game.

Oh and the Sega cabs have both Sign and Revelator on them still.

Essay

I'm thinking about getting back into Xrd, I tried Jack O today and she's pretty interesting and I think the best animated ASW character to boot. She has Inazuma Kick from Aim for the Top! 1&2 so go figure.

But yeah she's pretty cool and really unique considering her game is based around the bombs and the minions. I've invested a lot of my time into Tekken 7 but Revelator has interested me again. I did want to play Ramlethal before getting bored too. I have Xrd at home for practicing combos I guess, but it's the PS3 game.

Pretty excited just to fight against her myself. It's going to feel like a side-scrolling platformer dealing with her game plan.

Oh and the Sega cabs have both Sign and Revelator on them still.

I approve of this. It'll let the arcade goers that want to come to NA where the old versions are being playing keep in practice, so we don't get another situation like last year's NEC where Dora was mixing up versions of Blazblue.

https://youtu.be/GvswYA4XTBE

Has anyone seen this new Ogawa footage from Revelator? Zato has got to be one of the most powerful, we'll rounded characters ever. I can't think of a character in a major fighting game with more tools he's fucking ridiculous. And the character has so much freedom to play however you want it's beautiful.
He is also incredibly stylish and intense. Probably one of the best designed characters ever made. I wish I could play him above mediocrity. :(

Pretty excited just to fight against her myself. It's going to feel like a side-scrolling platformer dealing with her game plan.

I approve of this. It'll let the arcade goers that want to come to NA where the old versions are being playing keep in practice, so we don't get another situation like last year's NEC where Dora was mixing up versions of Blazblue.
Drinkin' the Kool-Aid.

lupinko

I think PS4 kinda hurt arcade vanilla Sign (the PS4 runs better than Ringedge/wide and good net play in Japan, Full Burst did this to Gundam arcade before Maxi Boost came out), console did get the new characters first too.

But it looks like revelator is bringing people back in. I can use my Banapass for Xrd since Bamco uses Sega's service.

It's all anecdotal though, I primarily play at Playland F1R (a SBO and Arc Cup Game Center) and that place still has almost weekly Vampire Savior and HNK tourneys. Lol

As for JackO she's interesting in that she doesn't have any traditional inputs for specials. She's basically all normals.

Essay

I think PS4 kinda hurt arcade vanilla Sign (the PS4 runs better than Ringedge/wide and good net play in Japan, Full Burst did this to Gundam arcade before Maxi Boost came out), console did get the new characters first too.

But it looks like revelator is bringing people back in. I can use my Banapass for Xrd since Bamco uses Sega's service.

Thanks for sharing that. Good to hear about the influx.

It's all anecdotal though, I primarily play at Playland F1R (a SBO and Arc Cup Game Center) and that place still has almost weekly Vampire Savior and HNK tourneys. Lol

Hah, well, Vampire's legit, but I didn't think basketball combos would endure this long in any arcade.

lupinko

Thanks for sharing that. Good to hear about the influx.

Hah, well, Vampire's legit, but I didn't think basketball combos would endure this long in any arcade.

I'm not knocking the games, Vampire Savior is my GOAT game along with vanilla 98. For HNK here everybody is broken, I've seen some really stupid Mamiyas, Hearts and Jagis. Dumber stuff than typical Toki BS.

I mentioned this to my friend but everybody is stupid broken in HNK, it's just that Toki has the easiest learning curve, followed by Rei. It's balanced in a weird busted way, but you already knew that I'm sure. Lol

Essay

Took a break from netplay for awhile and now that I'm getting back into it, I notice there are some players that I just get a "Connection with the opponent was lost" message when I try to play/spectate them. I figured it was just because I was trying to netplay for the first times on PS4, but I see that it happens on my PS3 as well. Any advice?

I'm not knocking the games, Vampire Savior is my GOAT game along with vanilla 98. For HNK here everybody is broken, I've seen some really stupid Mamiyas, Hearts and Jagis. Dumber stuff than typical Toki BS.

I mentioned this to my friend but everybody is stupid broken in HNK, it's just that Toki has the easiest learning curve, followed by Rei. It's balanced in a weird busted way, but you already knew that I'm sure. Lol

One of these days I'll bring myself up to speed on HNK. I missed out on it back in the day, and have honestly only ever seen a few videos here and there. Is there a wiki for it?

lupinko

Took a break from netplay for awhile and now that I'm getting back into it, I notice there are some players that I just get a "Connection with the opponent was lost" message when I try to play/spectate them. I figured it was just because I was trying to netplay for the first times on PS4, but I see that it happens on my PS3 as well. Any advice?

One of these days I'll bring myself up to speed on HNK. I missed out on it back in the day, and have honestly only ever seen a few videos here and there. Is there a wiki for it?

My old site did lol (RIP OG Guardcrush.NET) and probably Dustloop or at least a forum. I don't know how up to date it is though. It sucks because there's no good console port. So unless you have an AW or are playing on emulator it's a no go.

Anyway on topic for Ramlethal and Jack O, any Japanese players I should try to shadow? It's too early for Jack O, but definitely for Ramlethal and BnBs. I'm kinda motivated now, and I'll try to squeeze Revelator in with Tekken 7/old games/Pokemon.

Top Bottom