• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guinness World Records Announces Top 50 Video Game Endings

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I really agree with Halo Reach being on there. Great ending to a great game.

In terms of style it was neat, yes

But the ending sequence is still nowhere near as awesome as halo 1/3 which were both like super Metroid

If they were counting just ending cinematics, Halo 1 wouldn't even qualify- its so basic (which they can't be, simply because FF7 is on that list... Great game, bad ending cinematic)

Hell- chronicles of riddick had a pretty incredible ending sequence... And I'd have that in my top 20

Carl

I'm just seeing this now, wow. How can a masterpiece ending like SoTC be so low, yet something like BLOPS be #1

I've never actually played BLOPS but i assume it ends in some dudebro gun-ho lone soldier way...

ProXimity

Banned
This makes total sense. Clearly, Call of Duty: Black Ops' campaign, its ending in particular, is exponentially greater than the ending in Knights of the Old Republic.

:-/

bengraven

e6OoE.jpg

Speaking of which, there's no fucking Psychonauts on the list?

I can't think of a game that wraps up it's story better than that. Nice to see RDR in the top 10 at least.

Special J

Banned
No Bayonetta? no Imfamous 2? no Saints Row the Third? NO DEUS EX???? WTF

other than bayonetta those games have very mediocre endings.

best game endings typically come from games which are one and done or indies because mainstream games never have any closure because they are always going to spin another sequel.

Atilac

other than bayonetta those games have very mediocre endings.

best game endings typically come from games which are one and done or indies because mainstream games never have any closure because they are always going to spin another sequel.

Deus Ex has a mediocre ending? which one? the ending where you restore the Illuminati? the anarchist "escape from L.A" ending? or the ending where JC fulfills his destiny has the direct descendant of Jesus Christ and forms God's kingdom on Earth by merging with Helios?

Portal 1's ending was non-trivially changed with a patch years after release. I kind of feel like that should invalidate it, or require some clarification or something.

I know it's like 6-10 extra seconds, but it changed the tone from "you escaped" to "you're still fucked."

But I guess it really doesn't matter, because it's an awful list anyway.

saucylion

willing to bet 90% of the people mocking halo reach haven't played through the ending. Number 2 maybe it isn't but it had a brilliant ending for fans of the ip. Though it does lose some points for making you super macho at the end and beating up a bunch of elites while dieing...

It is definitely a less shocking choice then having Ocarina of Time at 3, Pokemon black and white at 12, any call of duties being on the list, or any of the no story mario and sonic games in the list at all, and this coming from a huge platforming fan. This is about best endings, not best game, or even best story.

RELAYER

Banned
willing to bet 90% of the people mocking halo reach haven't played through the ending. Number 2 maybe it isn't but it had a brilliant ending for fans of the ip. Though it does lose some points for making you super macho at the end and beating up a bunch of elites while dieing...

It is definitely a less shocking choice then having Ocarina of Time at 3, Pokemon black and white at 12, any call of duties being on the list, or any of the no story mario and sonic games in the list at all, and this coming from a huge platforming fan. This is about best endings, not best game, or even best story.

What, Ocarina of Time aint good enough for number 3?

Minion101

Banned
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories actually had a really phenomenal ending. It's in my top 3 for sure. There isn't a Silent Hill game on the Guinness list.

danwarb

That's certainly a list of video games that end.

That is right.

People vote for the games they've played. It's closer to "most popular game with an ending."

Portal 1's ending was non-trivially changed with a patch years after release. I kind of feel like that should invalidate it, or require some clarification or something.

I know it's like 6-10 extra seconds, but it changed the tone from "you escaped" to "you're still fucked."

But I guess it really doesn't matter, because it's an awful list anyway.
This is why the beginning of Portal 2 made no sense to me. Thanks.

Lucius86

Banned
Mass Effect 2 over Mass Effect 1, which still has my favourite 5 hours in gaming history? BLOPS as number 1?

Oh dear. I don't like lists as everyone has opinions and are entitled to what they prefer - but I can't get over how poor this one is.

Tookay

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories actually had a really phenomenal ending. It's in my top 3 for sure. There isn't a Silent Hill game on the Guinness list.

Agreed. Great ending that made sense of a lot of things that happened beforehand and was touching without being melodramatic.

No Final Fantasy X? Shit list.

This, on the other hand, was totally melodramatic and my teenage self ate it up. Ending orchestration and credits were just pitch perfect.

Top Bottom