• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guinness World Records Announces Top 50 Video Game Endings

aett

I thought that FFVII had a universally reviled ending. It's definitely my least favorite FF ending.

And Bioshock??? The ending consists of a 20-second cutscene and then sends you straight back to the title screen. Also, you gotta love how you get the super evil ending even if you only harvest one Little Sister.

Dylan

1. Guinness is awesome. It is a staple of my diet.

2. Not surprised this list totally misses the mark, as does most pop-media forays into gaming culture.

3. GAF should do its own poll!!

PKrockin

lol. Thanks for the laugh.

I like that little line "sure to stir up passionate debate among gamers." Yeah, that's the difference between a record and a poll. Records are indisputable facts and vaguely worded polls on subjective elements of video games are absolutely worthless.

Linconan

oh, hahahahah
It's o,k. It's a joke, seriously.
You wait! naked bunnys will jump out in a min and say "gotcha!!"

just wait...

i said just wait!!...

*sobs

Hmmm, this is why we can't take this shit seriously. Gaming is so nebulous that it doesn't make sense to have a demographic with seemingly no credentials or objective parameters vote on video game endings. The chances of making it a popularity contest are pretty damn high.

Also, Guinness World Records considers this to representative of the whole? CODBLOPs in the number one spot and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines not even on the list?

With regard to a source that should have some credibility this list would never be conducted in this fashion with film or music.

Same response I gave to a GamesRadar editor who tweeted it:

michaeljordanlol_1.gif

Anybody have this in reverse with the long pause at the end? That is the best version of this!

I think people are missing the big picture. You may not like the top choices but there are games in there that have the bare minimum for an ending. Unless they're talking gameplay wise. Because story wise, NSMBWii makes no sense.

I like to bold words also.

Foffy

Banned
Why are Mario, Sonic, Kingdom Hearts, and Call of Duty games on this list? The first two have such light plotlines that the endings are meaningless, Kingdom Hearts is just a clusterfuck, and Call of Duty has absolutely terrible storylines with abysmal endings.

I think people are missing the big picture. You may not like the top choices but there are games in there that have the bare minimum for an ending. Unless they're talking gameplay wise. Because story wise, NSMBWii makes no sense.

This post makes no sense.

You are saying that games that have a bare minimum for an ending is a qualitative variable for entry in the list? How does that alleviate not liking the top choices?

Even you don't know or understand what parameters they are talking about - gameplay or story or whatever. This list is silly because not everything is in the same categorical playing field.

Randdalf

So the question remains - what are the best video game endings of all time?

Red Dead Redemption is certainly up there for me.

So the question remains - what are the best video game endings of all time?

Red Dead Redemption is certainly up there for me.

Well, not really because that is very subjective.

The question should be, "What defines a good video game ending?"

Furthermore, you could make categories for genres, stories, gameplay, etc.

Fallout 3?

Spectacular game, but didn't Beth have to release DLC specifically to deal with the fan backlash caused by that game's shitty-ass ending? This list is completely arbitrary. Pick 50 recent games and arrange them in random order.

the franchise whoring, lack of older games, just tells you what a limited mindset the individuals who took this poll had.

It's why polls dont work. If you get a IGN-ish crowd, it's easy to get results like this.

You need to get from all areas of internet.

Didn't Reach have that crazy ending where you died? I never finished it, but I hear it was quite good, and something most games don't try to do.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So... like five out of fifty games were older than 10 years old on that list? Apparently good endings have an expiration date.

Platy

1) Voted List
2) ... in a non videogame site

You know, looking like this, from 50 to 1 instead of 1 to 50 ... i think i have less of problem with the list

50. Resident Evil 4
49. Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic
48. Ratchet & Clank: a Crack in Time
47. Crysis 2
46. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
45. Call of Duty: World at War
44. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
43. Half-Life 2: Episode Tow
42. Super Metroid
41. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
40. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
39. inFamous
38. Fallout 3
37. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
36. Gears of War 2
35. Bioshock
34. Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
33. Sonic Adventures 2
32. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
31. Kingdom Hearts II
30. Mass Effect
29. Super Mario Galaxy
28. Sonic the Hedgehog
27. Metal Gear Solid
26. Assassin's Creed II
25. Assassin's Creed
24. Shadow of the Colossus
23. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
22. Kingdom Hearts
21. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
20. Super Mario Galaxy 2
19. Mass Effect 2
18. Grand Theft Auto IV
17. Portal 2
16. Assassins Creed: Brotherhood
15. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
14. Halo: Combat Evolved
13. Halo 3
12. Pokemon Black and White
11. Super Mario Bros
10. Heavy Rain
9. Final Fantasy VII
8. Metal Gear Solid 4
7. Portal
6. Red Dead Redemption
5. God of War
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Halo: Reach
1. Call of Duty: Black Ops

This is the like eight thread I have experienced that has ended up with you just posting downsampled 12750*12408 Black Ops screenshots for no real reason. How the hell does how it looks have any matter to how it is the best ending ever?
Do not question the motives and actions of Dennis. His screenshots are unrivaled.

Seriously, this is one of the worst lists I've ever seen. Holy crap.
When did Guinness start dealing in lists like this, anyways? I want more records for giant fingernails.

Top Bottom