• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guinness World Records Announces Top 50 Video Game Endings

mxgt

Banned
iPzv1BRvq9FRI.gif

I can't even remember the plot of black ops, let alone the ending

ScOULaris

If these were "Best Videogame Endings Without a Particular Order" it wouldn't be half bad. They got many god pick there, they have to fix the order.

That's probably the biggest problem with it. There are still some EGREGIOUS omissions (Ico) and ridiculous inclusions (Sonic the Hedgehog), though.

RoyalFool

Banned
This is why I stopped buying these books, The first year was pretty decent - plenty of skill based records and high-scores. Now it feels like they are making up stupid records just so they can feature whatever games are popular at the time.

This for example isn't even a record, it's an opinion. Get the hell out of the record book and put more speed-runs in.

esserius

Banned
This list is the best thing. I shall make a poster of this list and call it the best list of endings ever (as determined by a company who is attempting to remain relevant, circa early 2012).

Nibel

Well, this surely is in my top 10 of "Worst Lists I've read through".. I love all MGS games, but Snake Eater had a brilliant, brilliant ending and it deserves a much higher ranking.. and this is just one of the many, many bad decisions in my opinion.

BTW first post, proud to be a small part of Team GAF! :)

I honestly don't even remember a majority of the endings of these games. Like, I played Crysis 2 two months ago and I don't remember shit.

Edit: And because I actually do have some nerd rage -- MGS3's ending is at least Top 15.

I can't understand how anyone would think that the best video game ending is Black Ops... I found its opening to be way more interesting than its ending. Both are nothing special though.

survivor

Banned
I honestly don't even remember a majority of the endings of these games. Like, I played Crysis 2 two months ago and I don't remember shit.

At least you remember playing the game. I didn't even know that I played Black Ops until I saw the picture posted here.

Risgroo

Yo man, Super Mario Galaxy 2's ending was fucking EPIC! There was Bowser 'n some shit and explosions, fucking sick brah. Oh, and Black ops, yeaah! When Mason found out about the numbers and went to the octopussy-lair-thing and whoaaah explosions! (I like both of these, but their endings weren't exactly the best part)

I mean, Jesus, this might be the most offensive list ever :D. There are a few good endings there, like OoT, Twilight Princess, RDR, Mass Effect, Bioshock and Shadow of the Colossus. The rest is mostly crap(as well as a few games i haven't played yet, like the MGS games, so I won't judge there).

At least we finally have the DEFINITIVE list of endings!

Gav47

Building lists like these are pointless due to the subjectivity. It would have been better if the position of a game on the list was irrelevant.

Exactly, if this had been the 50 best video game endings it would have been more acceptable. That said, the ending of BLOPS way more epic than Homo: Reach around :lol

squall211

Good God, could they have maybe added a couple more Call of Duty titles to that list?

Edit: I've never finished a Call of Duty game. Are the endings to these games really that amazing?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
why is kingdom hearts 2 up there? i dont understand how a disney style ending is one of the best in gaming....

fernoca

Well, more than the "ending"; the "twist" in Black Ops was nice (well, "were" since there were 2 ). Though, wouldn't say that alone makes it the best ending ever.

Plus the fact that Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is not anywhere on that list, when the ending is not only a big twist; but also touching..goes to show that the list is (obviously) based more on popularity and sales; than on quality and message.

EDIT:
Heck, even Klonoa's ending on PSone was touching and surprising back then and that wasn't that far.

EDIT 2:
And seeing Uncharted 2, which is one of my favorites games...well, is more like "ending sequences" and "wow factor" rather than actual endings. The whole escaping, bridge collapse at the end of U2 was incredible, but the actual ending of Elena and Nathan talking and joking is .."cute", nothing "OMG best ending spoiler alert!!"..

Mafro

It's like they just threw all the notable AAA games from this gen and last into a hat and listed them in the order they pulled them out.

Christ.

Good God, could they have maybe added a couple more Call of Duty titles to that list?

Edit: I've never finished a Call of Duty game. Are the endings to these games really that amazing?

If there's one Call of Duty that should have made the list it should have been the original where you raise the Russian flag above the Reichstag. But because World at War copied that same exact ending I guess whoever made the list probably thought people don't remember.

Top Bottom