• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

Surfinn

I'm running into a problem with intonation. I'm adjusting the screws in the bridge to make the pitch more sharp (all strings are flat), and this worked fine for the two smallest strings (E and B), but the rest of the strings will not go any further sharp.. it seems like turning the screws doesn't actually change the pitch at all. Does this mean I need to also adjust the truss rod? Every single string was flat. Or is this more due to low action? I was thinking about raising it because some of the strings buzz when I play open chords. Thanks for the help.

If your dry signal is not clipping, it seems the problem is actually somewhere else. Are you using S Gear stand alone? Try using it inside a DAW. You can try the full version of Reaper for free (and I think the trial period doesn't end, it just keeps bugging you to buy it). Set up a track and select the input to be from the Rocksmith cable. Add the S Gear VST and make sure you have record enable and monitoring on and you should be able to hear your signal. You can use the volume fader on the track to reduce the level before it goes into S Gear. Then use the S Gear volume or master fader to raise the output volume. I don't think you should need to run a pedal or anything to get the signal to hi-z. I would think the cable should more or less take care of everything if it's going in via USB. The cable is essential a mini interface.

Onto interface stuff, although I suspect you may not really need one. Unless you want to get one for some of the in/out options or recording with a mic...

Without having used the rocksmith cable I would say most likely, an interface would make a difference in a quality. Now, there's a lot that can affect the quality - pickups, cables, speakers on your computer. So whether or not you can discern an increase in audio quality may or may not be possible dependent on other components of your system.

If you get an interface, you'll want to have your speaker outputs go through that as well as the DAC on the interface will most likely be better than what is built in on your computer. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is probably one of the best smaller interfaces you can get, and has nearly any feature you would need, except for optical in/out. If you want to go all out look into the Steinberg MR816X. Very good interface and can be had very cheap used.
It seems like the clipping is in the S-Gear program itself (I tried just opening the program and not loading through my DAW). If I let a note ring for a while, it will slightly cut in and out. I'm not sure if this is just the nature of digital processing though as I've experienced it in other digitally processed programs before. I don't have this problem at all when I turn on my BOSS overdrive/distortion pedal, but I don't get enough gain. Was thinking about buying another pedal. Seems like this problem doesn't happen with analogue signals.. and sustain is far better.

Thanks for all of your advice.

NEO0MJ

Me and my chums tried to play "Breaking the Law" today but we couldn't sync our guitar play at all 😂

What are some fun and easy songs where lead and rhythm don't clash much?

enbred

Banned
I'm running into a problem with intonation. I'm adjusting the screws in the bridge to make the pitch more sharp (all strings are flat), and this worked fine for the two smallest strings (E and B), but the rest of the strings will not go any further sharp.. it seems like turning the screws doesn't actually change the pitch at all. Does this mean I need to also adjust the truss rod? Every single string was flat. Or is this more due to low action? I was thinking about raising it because some of the strings buzz when I play open chords. Thanks for the help.

It seems like the clipping is in the S-Gear program itself (I tried just opening the program and not loading through my DAW). If I let a note ring for a while, it will slightly cut in and out. I'm not sure if this is just the nature of digital processing though as I've experienced it in other digitally processed programs before. I don't have this problem at all when I turn on my BOSS overdrive/distortion pedal, but I don't get enough gain. Was thinking about buying another pedal. Seems like this problem doesn't happen with analogue signals.. and sustain is far better.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Oh yeah, you definitely need a chromatic tuner such as this one

I have been eyeing up some axes as a future purchase. And I came accross a very likely candidate.
170309308595008f.jpg
PRS SE Custom 24 Swamp Ash Ltd Edition
I have a PRS SE already with a Floyd Rose and it plays nice. This one looks lovely. Was never the biggest fan of essentially plain wood guitars but this and others in the range are rather tasty. There is a Swamp Ash, Zebrawood, Spalted Maple and Ebony in the line up. Just £800.But which one?

I have been eyeing up some axes as a future purchase. And I came accross a very likely candidate.

PRS SE Custom 24 Swamp Ash Ltd Edition
I have a PRS SE already with a Floyd Rose and it plays nice. This one looks lovely. Was never the biggest fan of essentially plain wood guitars but this and others in the range are rather tasty. There is a Swamp Ash, Zebrawood, Spalted Maple and Ebony in the line up. Just £800.But which one?

SE's are good shit, friend has one and loves it. RichaardEB on YT I think used one for the longest time on his vids.

Also JAZZ HOP BACK TRACKS MY GOD SO GOOD. so much fun playing to those

What does this even mean?

lol! Just justifying my sale! But yeah not into the PRS look anymore. PRS was super hot when I bought in the 90s. It does have a Buckcherry and Tremonti vibe these days though. I loved my PRS but I never felt like it was a "player's" guitar. It's beautiful, extremely well crafted with an eye on detail. But unlike used Gibson and Fenders, you never see a super beat up PRS, they're always very pristine, as if nobody plays them. It seems like people love looking at their PRS more than gigging with them. Anyway, just my PRS rant.

lol! Just justifying my sale! But yeah not into the PRS look anymore. PRS was super hot when I bought in the 90s. It does have a Buckcherry and Tremonti vibe these days though. I loved my PRS but I never felt like it was a "player's" guitar. It's beautiful, extremely well crafted with an eye on detail. But unlike used Gibson and Fenders, you never see a super beat up PRS, they're always very pristine, as if nobody plays them. It seems like people love looking at their PRS more than gigging with them. Anyway, just my PRS rant.

You say dude bro and I just think college kids, most of which could never afford a real PRS. The lawyer comment above, I get.

I literally don't know that I've ever seen a local band using a PRS. Definetly mostly fender and gibson out there in the wild. It makes you wonder how many guitars they actually sell.

Rabdom story. I saw a dude with a for real Gibson double neck SG a couple weeks ago. Never seen one in person before. Kind of blew my mind to see someone just out playing a local gig with one. Was pretty sweet.

Did he rock it like this?
dClxRXY.jpg

That's like the ultimate fantasy axe. Like $15,000+ or something crazy. The Epi version is more affordable in the sub-$1000 range. I think there's some super cheap knock-offs on aliexpress. Might need get one. lol.

I'm enjoying my new Vox VT40X. It's a combo+single small tube amp so you get a bit of tube-y tone without getting too loud (there's a small grated opening where you can watch it glow - lol!) . It also connects via USB to computer/phone/laptop and you can control the effects on screen using Vox's ToneRoom app. Really awesome when you're jamming at your desk! Also works with the more affordable VT20X. Headphone input as well! Just a fantastic practice amp!

I've got a Vox VT20+, and I really dig it. Do you know how much of an improvement teh 20X/40X is over that?

I've got a Vox VT20+, and I really dig it. Do you know how much of an improvement teh 20X/40X is over that?

I believe they are basically the same amp with the single tube boost, but the newer version has an updated effects board with Roland's VET technology which is supposed to analyze the digital-analog signal output or something like that. The main difference is the USB connection which allows you to control the amp from your computer or mobile device, a very cool feature which also lets you access deeper tone settings not controlable on the regular amp controls. Otherwise the basic amp structure is the same. I'd say no reason to upgrade if you're satisfied with the tone and volume you're getting on your current Vox.

Surfinn

Update on my intonation problem. When I turn the screws counterclockwise, the saddles do not move as far as they should, aside from the E and B strings. I'm trying to get the saddles closer to the neck. The screws just stick out of the bottom of the bridge the more I twist. Here's a picture:

http://imgur.com/dIOpxHP

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Update on my intonation problem. When I turn the screws counterclockwise, the saddles do not move as far as they should, aside from the E and B strings. I'm trying to get the saddles closer to the neck. The screws just stick out of the bottom of the bridge the more I twist. Here's a picture:

http://imgur.com/dIOpxHP

Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

Are your strings tuned all the way up to full tension? It looks like the saddles can move further if you loosen the strings or take them off entirely. Sure, it's a pain in the ass to loosen the strings and then tune them back up to check intonation, but I think the current tension of the strings are preventing you from moving the saddles further.

Used to play like 3 years ago and getting back into it. I bought myself a line 6 spider || 30w amp:

_c400668_image_0.jpg

And a silver esp ltd ax-50: (edgelord, much?)

bfcaecc08f2e6811c0105d3b78b817e0.jpg

Strung it up with some elixir lights:

ElNL-large.jpg

But I've kept them loose because I only just bought a tuner today, so when I get home I'll tension them up, cut the excess and plug it in for the first time. Excited to get back into the groove, and hopefully learn chords haha. I can only read tabs right now.

First goal is learning Come Get It by I Prevail

I have some fairly decent acoustics 3-400$ range but a shit ass electric that was gifted to me.

Tired of the shit ass base model Epiphone les paul, I went and checked out some at a local shop.

I really liked the look and feel of the Yamaha Pacifica. Anyone recommend them?

blackjaw

I have some fairly decent acoustics 3-400$ range but a shit ass electric that was gifted to me.

Tired of the shit ass base model Epiphone les paul, I went and checked out some at a local shop.

Crap electronics, probably no better than whatever beginner guitar you have now.

Would recommend a used Squier Classic Vibe if you want a very nice strat on the (relatively) cheap.

Hey fam,

Question. Is there a way to use laptop as a guitar receiver/amp?

Doesn't have to be anything crazy. I basically want to run my guitar to my laptop and then out through headphones.

Also, are there any good (free?) Windows programs that can add effects and filters and whatnot?

Thanks.

zbarron

Hey fam,

Question. Is there a way to use laptop as a guitar receiver/amp?

Doesn't have to be anything crazy. I basically want to run my guitar to my laptop and then out through headphones.

Also, are there any good (free?) Windows programs that can add effects and filters and whatnot?

Thanks.

You can use the program Guitar Rig or can bypass the laptop entirely by just getting a small headphone guitar amp.

That's how I started. I just used the Rocksmith USB cable which I already had but you could in theory use a 1/4"-3.5mm adapter to plug into your microphone port if you already have a 1/4" instrument cable.

I wasn't getting the sound I wanted which could be the fault of my speakers, so I bought an amp.

Also heads up the program can be a bit of a pain in the ass.

You can use the program Guitar Rig or can bypass the laptop entirely by just getting a small headphone guitar amp.

That's how I started. I just used the Rocksmith USB cable which I already had but you could in theory use a 1/4"-3.5mm adapter to plug into your microphone port if you already have a 1/4" instrument cable.

I wasn't getting the sound I wanted which could be the fault of my speakers, so I bought an amp.

Also heads up the program can be a bit of a pain in the ass.

Awesome, thanks. I'll check it out.

I have a big tube amp, but it's not magnetically shielded, so I can't​ use it in the same room as my TV, laptop, or even have my smartphone near it.

Whenever I turn it on, my TV screen, which is like 7 feet away from the amp, turns into rainbow colors. It's the most wacked out thing ever.

So, I just want something really cheap and basic I can run through my laptop without EMP'ing my whole house.

I see some Guitar-to-USB cables on Amazon.

Would they work by themselves with that Guitar Rig program?

Or would I need some other in-between amp too?

I also see a Rocksmith USB cable, but it says for Xbox 360. Not sure if that's PC Compatible or not. There are cheaper Amazon-recommended cables available on there. Cheap recording software might be cool too, but right now I just want to get plugged in.

I'm just not sure what I need to get started.

So far I have a Gaming Laptop with USB 3.1a/c and Thunderbolt. Audio inputs and outputs galore. And of course my Les Paul Epiphone Guitar.

And headphones.

Thanks.

Crap electronics, probably no better than whatever beginner guitar you have now.

Would recommend a used Squier Classic Vibe if you want a very nice strat on the (relatively) cheap.

Even the 212 series? I'm not looking to get the base series.

And I fail to see how anything is worse or not better than my les Paul special lol.

nded

I also see a Rocksmith USB cable, but it says for Xbox 360. Not sure if that's PC Compatible or not. There are cheaper Amazon-recommended cables available on there. Cheap recording software might be cool too, but right now I just want to get plugged in.

So far I have a Gaming Laptop with USB 3.1a/c and Thunderbolt. Audio inputs and outputs galore. And of course my Les Paul Epiphone Guitar.

And headphones.

Thanks.

I can use the cable from my PS3 copy of Rocksmith for all sorts of things on the PC, even on Linux. I can't speak for the cheaper cables on Amazon, but I assume they'd be functionally identical.

And headphones.

Thanks.

In my experience the direct Guitar-to-USB didn't cut it for GarageBand and Logic - there was too much lag. I had to get a M-Audio signal converter. But I think it depends on your processor speed, software, etc.

In my experience the direct Guitar-to-USB didn't cut it for GarageBand and Logic - there was too much lag. I had to get a M-Audio signal converter. But I think it depends on your processor speed, software, etc.

Really? The Rocksmith cable works fine on my Macs in GB. When I don't do that I run a normal guitar cable into USB interface which is functionally identical.

While the pacifica is probably better than your epiphone, I think you can do better. Assuming you're willing to spend what your acoustics cost, the classic vibe squire that the other person recommended would probably be a bit better. Though if you're looking at used, you could probably find a deal on a fender strat. The fenders start at $599, so a used one should be less.

zbarron

I bought one by Joyo and it was absolute crap. Of course, it was only $10 or so from a relatively unknown Chinese brand so...
I was looking at the Vox AmPlug.
Is the Ubisoft Real Tone Rocksmith Cable for $36 the one you guys recommend?

Reviews seem to be almost all positive.
That's the legit one that I have. The lag is minimal and unlike the cheap ones it works with Rocksmith if you want to get into that. You can often find the software on sale on Steam.

A few pics -
Plays very nice. Hardly needed any setting up. Made in South Korea.
I really like the neck, similar depth to a strat but a bit wider. The bridge is nice and the tremolo arm works well (it's a push in). Though the pick ups are standard PRS SE pups they're okay. Might still swap them out though. But I must admit the guitar looks good and stands out in my collection as the only natural wood finish guitar I have. Think I'll put it on my wall.

Really? The Rocksmith cable works fine on my Macs in GB. When I don't do that I run a normal guitar cable into USB interface which is functionally identical.

I haven't tried my Rocksmith cable, but my regular USB to quarter inch was laggy as hell. Could just be the cable of course. I'll try the Rocksmith. I like the M-Audio converter cuz you can adjust input volume.

zbarron

I haven't tried my Rocksmith cable, but my regular USB to quarter inch was laggy as hell. Could just be the cable of course. I'll try the Rocksmith. I like the M-Audio converter cuz you can adjust input volume.

I tried to play Rocksmith without the cable and Ubisofts reason for now allowing any other cable is supposedly that other cables have bad lag and their's doesn't. Not sure if that's true or if they just want to force you to buy their branded cable.

Surfinn

You can adjust the level of the real tone cable by changing the mic levels, at least in Windows 10. Go to recording devices and click configure or properties, then go to the level tab. I have mine set to like 50 percent, otherwise I get too much distortion and clipping.

I use the Rocksmith cable for GarageBand and other amp apps; works great. You can connect the iRig cable to your iPhone, and use apps like JamUp, AmpliTube, AmpKit.

I have a few portable headphone amps. I can recommend the VOX AmPlugs. I have the AC30 model, the Twin AmPhones, and the Bass AmPlug (the V.2 are more versatile, but you can find the older V.1 for cheaper). I use a Korg Pandora Mini, which has hundreds of presets and can be customized. The Mooer Pogo and Korg AmpWorks are kind of junky. I've never used a Line 6 Pocket Pod.

If you don't need true pocket portability, the Zoom G1Xon is great. The Digitech Trio pedal has a headphone jack and will jam along with you. I also like my Behringer V-Amp 2. And if you just need a little amp for bedroom practice, the Blackstar Fly 3 is a great package.

Those PRS photos are great! That's my Holy Grail Guitar. I'm only about an hour away from the factory, but I know if I take a tour I'll end up with one.

zbarron

I use the Rocksmith cable for GarageBand and other amp apps; works great. You can connect the iRig cable to your iPhone, and use apps like JamUp, AmpliTube, AmpKit.

I have a few portable headphone amps. I can recommend the VOX AmPlugs. I have the AC30 model, the Twin AmPhones, and the Bass AmPlug (the V.2 are more versatile, but you can find the older V.1 for cheaper). I use a Korg Pandora Mini, which has hundreds of presets and can be customized. The Mooer Pogo and Korg AmpWorks are kind of junky. I've never used a Line 6 Pocket Pod.

If you don't need true pocket portability, the Zoom G1Xon is great. The Digitech Trio pedal has a headphone jack and will jam along with you. I also like my Behringer V-Amp 2. And if you just need a little amp for bedroom practice, the Blackstar Fly 3 is a great package.

Those PRS photos are great! That's my Holy Grail Guitar. I'm only about an hour away from the factory, but I know if I take a tour I'll end up with one.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

I'm 20 minutes away from the Earthquaker factory. I thought about doing a tour which they offer but would probably end up spending money I don't have.

blackjaw

JvP40VY.jpg

New Pedal Day: Boss RV-6.
New Toy Day: Critter and Guitari Pocket Piano.

Had a RV-6 for a while but let my buddy borrow it last year. He loved it so much and wasn't in a financial position to buy one so I gifted it to him for Christmas. Finally rebought one and it automatically went back on the board. Guitar just sounds so good on any of these settings (except Spring). I go through a lot of pedals, lots of boutique reverbs, and the little Boss pedal is probably one of the best.

Pocket Piano is amazing. There are so many sounds in the little guy that it is baffling. I went from playing sounds like Stranger Things to using Shimmer on RV-6 to play something like it was out of a Zelda dungeon. Can't wait to dive into this one more!

Surfinn

Are your strings tuned all the way up to full tension? It looks like the saddles can move further if you loosen the strings or take them off entirely. Sure, it's a pain in the ass to loosen the strings and then tune them back up to check intonation, but I think the current tension of the strings are preventing you from moving the saddles further.
You sir are a hero. I just tried this and it worked. Got my intonation issues all sorted out. Thanks so much.

For anyone else having this issue, just in case.. Move your saddles as far up to the neck as possible with no string tension (or just a little further up than you think they should be, per string), tune up, then move the saddles back as necessary.

Move your saddles as far up to the neck as possible with no string tension (or just a little further up than you think they should be, per string), tune up, then move the saddles back as necessary.

... moving them towards the neck should be easier under tension than away from the neck. I just loosen the string, adjust the saddle, tune the string, check. Repeat as needed.

Surfinn

... moving them towards the neck should be easier under tension than away from the neck. I just loosen the string, adjust the saddle, tune the string, check. Repeat as needed.

Not for me. I can only move them away from the neck when the strings are tightened for some reason. I had to completely remove tension to move them toward the neck. No idea why but that's what happened and how I fixed my problem.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm thinking about learning to play the guitar and buy my first one. I just have to deal with my adhd and lack of artistic ability to keep up with practicing.

I'm left handed and can't really see myself playing right handed.

Guitar Type: Electric
Skill level: beginner
Preferred sound: Not sure, I just love the sound during rock and metal solo's like something from Mega Man 2.
Planned use: Practice
Budget: $500-$600?
Country of residence: USA.

I love the look of the Les Paul Cherry Sunburst and I know it is a classic design.

The one I was looking at was the
Schecter Guitar Research Omen Extreme-6 FR Left-Handed Electric Guitar Black Cherry

I have small paws and noticed it mentioned that the neck on this one was thin.

Alright, I have the Rocksmith USB cable now.

Should I just use Rocksmith with it via Steam? Is Rocksmith good as-is for use as an amp/recording device?

Does Rocksmith have guitar filters and effects? I already know how to play guitar. I just want to do some of my own stuff through my PC. Not so much play Guitar-Hero style games.

Some people suggested Guitar Rig and Amplitude with the ASIO drivers. I don't know if those are free though, or if I need to pay for them or what. I don't really know anything about those either.

Surfinn

Should I just use Rocksmith with it via Steam? Is Rocksmith good as-is for use as an amp/recording device?

Does Rocksmith have guitar filters and effects? I already know how to play guitar. I just want to do some of my own stuff through my PC. Not so much play Guitar-Hero style games.

Some people suggested Guitar Rig and Amplitude with the ASIO drivers. I don't know if those are free though, or if I need to pay for them or what. I don't really know anything about those either.
I'm not sure about pricing anymore as it's been a while, but I would suggest trying some through the trials they provide. Guitar rig is pretty good and has an interface that's easy to use and understand. Bias FX is popular. But if you have some cash and want, imo, the best modeling (that I've used anyway), Scuffham S-Gear is better than the rest (in the relatively affordable range) if you're after any modeling that uses distortion. They've also got fascistic cleans. But in my experience it's much easier to find good cleans than distortions (any decent amp sim can give you decent cleans). If I remember right, s-gear runs for like $150-200.

I remember RS having pretty bad modeling, but it's not designed around that.

Syncytia

I'm thinking about learning to play the guitar and buy my first one. I just have to deal with my adhd and lack of artistic ability to keep up with practicing.

I'm left handed and can't really see myself playing right handed.

Guitar Type: Electric
Skill level: beginner
Preferred sound: Not sure, I just love the sound during rock and metal solo's like something from Mega Man 2.
Planned use: Practice
Budget: $500-$600?
Country of residence: USA.

I love the look of the Les Paul Cherry Sunburst and I know it is a classic design.

The one I was looking at was the
Schecter Guitar Research Omen Extreme-6 FR Left-Handed Electric Guitar Black Cherry

I have small paws and noticed it mentioned that the neck on this one was thin.

Do not get a Floyd Rose unless you are prepared for frustration when you break a string or are willing to shell out money to pay someone to do it. Learning to string a guitar can be enough, but when you throw in a FR you might hate it. Once you learn how it works it's alright, but it takes more work to switch strings than a hard tail.

Schecter necks are a bit thinner than Gibsons. Ibanez necks are even thinner, but I'm not a fan of those necks. You may also want to look into an ESP EC256, hands down best $400 guitar I've played. But it's all opinion and preference.

What's your plan for amplification? Do you want an amp or do you want to skip that and do an amp sim on your computer?

I'm not sure about pricing anymore as it's been a while, but I would suggest trying some through the trials they provide. Guitar rig is pretty good and has an interface that's easy to use and understand. Bias FX is popular. But if you have some cash and want, imo, the best modeling (that I've used anyway), Scuffham S-Gear is better than the rest (in the relatively affordable range) if you're after any modeling that uses distortion. They've also got fascistic cleans. But in my experience it's much easier to find good cleans than distortions (any decent amp sim can give you decent cleans). If I remember right, s-gear runs for like $150-200.

I remember RS having pretty bad modeling, but it's not designed around that.

Agreed, S-Gear is really good. I don't use it since I have an Axe FX now (and turning up my amps has never been an issue for me) but when it got added to the Steven Slate Everything bundle (lots of mixing plug-ins) I tested it out and I was surprised at how good it was. If you are ok with paying for it, that's the one to get IMO. But there's a lot of free stuff out there that can sound amazing if you learn how to do it. Nick Crow Labs for amp sims, find some good IRs and you can get a great sound for free.

zbarron

Rocksmith does but I've never messed with it much.

Guitar Rig is free for several effects, but charges individually for amp Sims and pedal Sims. What it starts with is fairly decent though for free.
Do not get a Floyd Rose unless you are prepared for frustration when you break a string or are willing to shell out money to pay someone to do it. Learning to string a guitar can be enough, but when you throw in a FR you might hate it. Once you learn how it works it's alright, but it takes more work to switch strings than a hard tail.
Is it really that big of a difference to unscrew the backplate and feed it through the back vs the front? I've only owned a Floyd Rose equipped guitar so I don't know the difference. It didn't take much longer than my acoustic.

Syncytia

Rocksmith does but I've never messed with it much.

Guitar Rig is free for several effects, but charges individually for amp Sims and pedal Sims. What it starts with is fairly decent though for free.

Is it really that big of a difference to unscrew the backplate and feed it through the back vs the front? I've only owned a Floyd Rose equipped guitar so I don't know the difference. It didn't take much longer than my acoustic.

Strings on a floyd rose don't go through the body/bridge though....? I do have a personal bias against FRs, it's a pain to change tunings, set up takes too long, and generally I don't use it enough to make having one worthwhile and in my opinion most players don't use them enough to make them worthwhile anyway.

I think especially for someone starting out, a floyd rose isn't worth the effort.

Top Bottom