• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

What up, guitar GAF. I'm looking for some suggestions for recording covers overdubbed on top of music/backing tracks on PC. I know there's headphone amps, usb "amps", mixers, interfaces, etc.

I've been using a pretty awful setup with my amp + a microphone hooked up to my PC while a backing track plays and I'm recording both. It sounds alright, but since I'm overlaying it from a completely digital track to one that is actually recorded in a room, it's off.

Looking for a pretty simple, introductory-level solution to this without having to buy a crap ton of audio gear. So...what's the easiest way to record guitar on a PC?

EDIT: Oh, I should let ya'll know what I currently own, in case that helps. I currently have a guitar and bass, two amps (one for each), nice recording headphones, and a decent quality mic.

I do a bunch of cover vids on YouTube. Basically I rip the song into the software (in my case GarageBand). I make sure I assign the correct tempo and line up the start of the song so it starts on cue with a four-count. The song is played through GarageBand. Then I record my guitar (and bass on some of my covers) by micing the amp while simultaneously videoing myself with Iphone. My mic is simple with a USB out. USB goes in computer to record guitar. Then, this is the KEY part, I post-EQ the recorded guitar to flesh out the tone. I may even add Reverb or Chorus to liven it up a bit. I also EQ the crap out of the original track to minimize the original guitar parts as much as possible so my own guitar stands out. Mix down and export track. Then I dump the track and Iphone video into iMovie. I synch the audio and video in iMovie and edit. Export video and done. Upload to YouTube.

Timeaisis

I do a bunch of cover vids on YouTube. Basically I rip the song into the software (in my case GarageBand). I make sure I assign the correct tempo and line up the start of the song so it starts on cue with a four-count. The song is played through GarageBand. Then I record my guitar (and bass on some of my covers) by micing the amp while simultaneously videoing myself with Iphone. My mic is simple with a USB out. USB goes in computer to record guitar. Then, this is the KEY part, I post-EQ the recorded guitar to flesh out the tone. I may even add Reverb or Chorus to liven it up a bit. I also EQ the crap out of the original track to minimize the original guitar parts as much as possible so my own guitar stands out. Mix down and export track. Then I dump the track and Iphone video into iMovie. I synch the audio and video in iMovie and edit. Export video and done. Upload to YouTube.

Wow, thank you for the detailed tutorial! I do indeed have a USB mic so I shall try this shortly.

zbarron

If you'll recall when I talked to the Monoprice rep about them bringing back the tele style and LP style guitars he said they had some new guitars incoming. They aren't available yet but the product pages are up.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11501&cs_id=1150101&p_id=610404&seq=1&format=2
Scroll down to see all 6. They're more expensive by about $100 compared to the previous models but they look really nice. Having major GAS. I still absolutely love my Strat style from them so I'm sure these will be awesome.

III-V

If you'll recall when I talked to the Monoprice rep about them bringing back the tele style and LP style guitars he said they had some new guitars incoming. They aren't available yet but the product pages are up.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11501&cs_id=1150101&p_id=610404&seq=1&format=2
Scroll down to see all 6. They're more expensive by about $100 compared to the previous models but they look really nice. Having major GAS. I still absolutely love my Strat style from them so I'm sure these will be awesome.

didn't even know this was a thing. May need to pick up one of those honey burst Indio 66 DLX Flamed Maple Top

Looks cool but once you get in that price range you can get a proper Fender Squier.

Speaking of jumping to another price range, how does the Tony Iommi signature Epiphone SG compare to a Gibson SG? They're both practically the same price.

I like the Iommi signature but yeah you might as well get a Gibson at that price. It's basically a Epiphone G-400 with Iommi pickups and crucifix inlays. There's an older version of the Iommi signature that's a bit cheaper at around $450 in the used market, but the crucifix inlays only go part of the way. You're basically getting the guitar for the Iommi pickups, but I prefer the 490s or 57 classics in the Gibson SGs. Plus the resale value of a Gibson will always hold better than an Epiphone.

III-V

Looks cool but once you get in that price range you can get a proper Fender Squier.

I thought these (at least the previous gen) were of higher quality from the few reviews I have read today. They also claim set up in USA, edges filed, and set neck, for instance in the les paul copies.

I thought these (at least the previous gen) were of higher quality from the few reviews I have read today. They also claim set up in USA, edges filed, and set neck, for instance in the les paul copies.

Well setup just means slapping strings on and adjusting truss/action. It's a typical "USA" claim for Chinese made guitars that are sold here (like Hard Luck Kings guitars). The set neck is nice, but dear lord the headstock is ugly as sin for a Les Paul. But any setneck guitar at $200 is a good deal, although I would probably go for a used Epiphone. I think it will be challenging to get a good price if you decide to sell your Monoprice guitar when there are tons of decent used Epiphones out there.

NEO0MJ

I like the Iommi signature but yeah you might as well get a Gibson at that price. It's basically a Epiphone G-400 with Iommi pickups and crucifix inlays. There's an older version of the Iommi signature that's a bit cheaper at around $450 in the used market, but the crucifix inlays only go part of the way. You're basically getting the guitar for the Iommi pickups, but I prefer the 490s or 57 classics in the Gibson SGs. Plus the resale value of a Gibson will always hold better than an Epiphone.

Had a feeling that was the case.

III-V

Well setup just means slapping strings on and adjusting truss/action. It's a typical "USA" claim for Chinese made guitars that are sold here (like Hard Luck Kings guitars). The set neck is nice, but dear lord the headstock is ugly as sin for a Les Paul. But any setneck guitar at $200 is a good deal, although I would probably go for a used Epiphone. I think it will be challenging to get a good price if you decide to sell your Monoprice guitar when there are tons of decent used Epiphones out there.
headstock looks like a rounded PRS, and I fully agree no resale value. Potentially a nice beater to lay around the house though. I will consider the LP copy for 179 with padded case.

Also, my OG LP copy is in pieces awaiting a rebuild.

zbarron

What's the benefit of getting a "proper Fender Squier" besides the brand? I'd say it's at least worth checking out since Monoprice has a very generous return policy.

I love my strat, so if I were to get one of these it'd be the LP. I've never had a guitar with a humbucker.

What's the benefit of getting a "proper Fender Squier" besides the brand? I'd say it's at least worth checking out since Monoprice has a very generous return policy.

I love my strat, so if I were to get one of these it'd be the LP. I've never had a guitar with a humbucker.

Hey I hear ya, you like their brand which is great! Probably shouldn't have said "proper" I realized, but Squiers are well built guitars for the money with a solid reputation, not just the brand name. Plus their resale value holds up pretty well, not sure about a Monoprice guitar though. At $80 the Monoprice is a no-brainer for sure. I'm just saying at around $200 your options greatly increase and it's worth exploring around.

zbarron

Hey I hear ya, you like their brand which is great! Probably shouldn't have said "proper" I realized, but Squiers are well built guitars for the money with a solid reputation, not just the brand name. Plus their resale value holds up pretty well, not sure about a Monoprice guitar though. At $80 the Monoprice is a no-brainer for sure. I'm just saying at around $200 your options greatly increase and it's worth exploring around.

That's fair. The Yamaha Pacifica is also $200 and I've heard those are great for the price.

Hello guitar GAF. I've had a Mexican Strat for almost twenty years and still can't play for shit. Also have a cheap acoustic which I like, but have never been able to get out of the gates with any learning whatsoever. I'm hoping to try again, and was thinking about a LP 100 to boost my motivation. I've wanted a Les Paul for a decade, and finally put my hands on one tonight. I like it. I don't want to spend a ton of money and it seems like this is a decent pickup for $229?

Also, I need to figure out what is wrong with my amp. Any good troubleshooting tuts out there? Thanks.

TheChaos0

Hello guitar GAF. I've had a Mexican Strat for almost twenty years and still can't play for shit. Also have a cheap acoustic which I like, but have never been able to get out of the gates with any learning whatsoever. I'm hoping to try again, and was thinking about a LP 100 to boost my motivation. I've wanted a Les Paul for a decade, and finally put my hands on one tonight. I like it. I don't want to spend a ton of money and it seems like this is a decent pickup for $229?

Also, I need to figure out what is wrong with my amp. Any good troubleshooting tuts out there? Thanks.

Hello me. ;)

I'm not too sure about LP 100, if you want a Les Paul I'd at least get an Epi Standard. I've got one, it's great, though I've modded mine over the years but stock parts aren't too bad. Wouldn't want to get any less than that and I'd imagine LP 100 is just that.

What's wrong with the amp? It doesn't turn on, or something else?

I agree with TheChaos0. The LP100 has a bolt-on neck which kind of defeats the whole appeal of having a Les Paul. You want to at least have a set neck for a Les Paul. You may be able to find a set neck Epiphone used for a pretty good price.

The LP100 has a 24.75" scale length and 12" radius, so set up correctly it will play like a set-neck guitar. Get a used one, get it set up, and leave it out to practice. I don't know what the used prices are, but the Standard is 70% more expensive compared new-to-new. Use the difference to get a working amp.

Alternatively to any Epiphone get an off-brand set-neck Les Paul-type from Rondo etc.

I'll be honest and say I don't know the difference aside from what I've read about tone. The Strat obviously has a bolt-on. I'll also admit that I like the LP's look, and that's what has drawn me to it for so long. How much difference is there in the tone? Between the Strat, the LP bolt and LP set?

There's a Limited Edition Studio Deluxe for $50 more, but I don't like the look of it as much. At least on the internet (wine vs the cherry sunburst I love). There was another one, think a quilt top Pro that was lovely to touch, but either $450 or $500. That's not really in the budget, $250 is stretching it already. Like was said, the amp either needs to be fixed or replaced, and I'd be open to taking lessons again too.

I took a few lessons when I was much younger, and can play a few chords and a few licks of a couple songs. My hand position sucks, and it's hard for me to adequately switch between notes. I'm hoping a switch in guitars will either let me overcome challenges or let me know once and for all this isn't for me. I'd even be willing to trade in my Strat, but I doubt I'd get much for it even though it's in excellent condition except for the knobs and pick guard yellowing with age. That, and it was my first. That's worth probably more than money anyway.

As for the amp, it's nothing special, but it acts as though the volume is turned to 11. Very loud ambient electronic sound from it no matter what the volume level is. Adjusting the treble knob makes it do the occasional pop. This is all without plugging a cord in, because last time I did that there was an excruciating feedback/popping sound. Perhaps the volume control needs to be looked at?

trebbble

I'll be honest and say I don't know the difference aside from what I've read about tone. The Strat obviously has a bolt-on. I'll also admit that I like the LP's look, and that's what has drawn me to it for so long. How much difference is there in the tone? Between the Strat, the LP bolt and LP set?

There's a lot of difference in tone between a Strat and a Les Paul, due to a combination of factors. You'll hear a lot of differing opinions about which of these is most important, so this is in no particular order... and take it all with a grain of salt :)

First, the standard Strat setup is three single coil pickups, while a Les Paul has two hum buckers. This factor alone has a huge impact on tone. Single coils are generally brighter, while humbuckers have a big more 'oomph'. You can find Strats with hum buckers installed, and you can get Les Pauls with 'coil taps' that emulate the sound of a single coil, but neither is a true emulation of the other.

Second the bridge construction is much different. The Strat generally uses a floating tremolo and bridge, while the bridge on the Les Paul is mounted directly to the body of the guitar. Some say this has a tone impact. In practical terms, there's generally no 'whammy bar' on Les Pauls, though you can find them with Bigsbys, etc.

Scale length. The Strat has a longer neck, which means the strings are a bit more taut, which contributes to the tone. Each will play a bit different because of this as well.

Body Design. The Strat is usually made of ash or another similar wood, often in three parts. There are a ton of different Strat varieties out there however. The Les Paul is often made of mahogany with a maple cap, which many say has an impact on the tone. I personally notice body wood difference more with acoustics.

The guitar necks are different too. There's the scale length mentioned earlier, but generally the classic Strat design includes a quarter sawn one piece maple neck, which is attached via bolts to the body. This was made for easier swapping for working musicians. Due to this variety, you can often mix and match necks on a Strat easily. The radius on a Strat neck can often be smaller than a Gibson, making them feel different when bending and requiring different setups. The Les Paul has a neck design that is prone to breaking at the headstock, and is made of mahogany (I might be wrong here) and rosewood traditionally. It's set directly into the body and glued in permanently - that's what 'set neck' means. Depending on the fretboard radius, it may be easier to bend and be able to handle lower setups. I think that fret board wood will have more of an impact than body wood on electric guitars.

I personally wouldn't get a bolt on Les Paul unless I truly just wanted the look at a particular price point. I'd either save for an Epi - there's plenty of options from them in a variety of looks - or throw some PAF-esque humbuckers in my Strat. In my opinion, while all of these factors contribute to each guitar's unique sound, changing pickups will have the most immediate impact on your tone.

I'll also admit that I like the LP's look, and that's what has drawn me to it for so long. How much difference is there in the tone? Between the Strat, the LP bolt and LP set?

Night and day while the tone is clean; every electric guitar sounds indistinguishable with enough gain.

If the Les Paul inspires you to play more then get one. Otherwise, instruction and practice is the fix for your inability to play, not gear.

Your amp sounds fucked. Amp repair is slightly more dangerous than guitar repair since there's enough juice to kill you (or maybe just hurt you in a practice amp).

There's a lot of difference in tone between a Strat and a Les Paul, due to a combination of factors. You'll hear a lot of differing opinions about which of these is most important, so this is in no particular order... and take it all with a grain of salt :)

First, the standard Strat setup is three single coil pickups, while a Les Paul has two hum buckers. This factor alone has a huge impact on tone. Single coils are generally brighter, while humbuckers have a big more 'oomph'. You can find Strats with hum buckers installed, and you can get Les Pauls with 'coil taps' that emulate the sound of a single coil, but neither is a true emulation of the other.

Second the bridge construction is much different. The Strat generally uses a floating tremolo and bridge, while the bridge on the Les Paul is mounted directly to the body of the guitar. Some say this has a tone impact. In practical terms, there's generally no 'whammy bar' on Les Pauls, though you can find them with Bigsbys, etc.

Scale length. The Strat has a longer neck, which means the strings are a bit more taut, which contributes to the tone. Each will play a bit different because of this as well.

Body Design. The Strat is usually made of ash or another similar wood, often in three parts. There are a ton of different Strat varieties out there however. The Les Paul is often made of mahogany with a maple cap, which many say has an impact on the tone. I personally notice body wood difference more with acoustics.

The guitar necks are different too. There's the scale length mentioned earlier, but generally the classic Strat design includes a quarter sawn one piece maple neck, which is attached via bolts to the body. This was made for easier swapping for working musicians. Due to this variety, you can often mix and match necks on a Strat easily. The radius on a Strat neck can often be smaller than a Gibson, making them feel different when bending and requiring different setups. The Les Paul has a neck design that is prone to breaking at the headstock, and is made of mahogany (I might be wrong here) and rosewood traditionally. It's set directly into the body and glued in permanently - that's what 'set neck' means. Depending on the fretboard radius, it may be easier to bend and be able to handle lower setups. I think that fret board wood will have more of an impact than body wood on electric guitars.

I personally wouldn't get a bolt on Les Paul unless I truly just wanted the look at a particular price point. I'd either save for an Epi - there's plenty of options from them in a variety of looks - or throw some PAF-esque humbuckers in my Strat. In my opinion, while all of these factors contribute to each guitar's unique sound, changing pickups will have the most immediate impact on your tone.

Very detailed, thank you. There was a bit I already knew, but it's nice to have a refresher. I still like my Strat, but it's the bright tone that I...it's not that I don't care for it, it has it's place, but when I practice I just think what I'm playing doesn't sound right.

Night and day while the tone is clean; every electric guitar sounds indistinguishable with enough gain.

If the Les Paul inspires you to play more then get one. Otherwise, instruction and practice is the fix for your inability to play, not gear.

Your amp sounds fucked. Amp repair is slightly more dangerous than guitar repair since there's enough juice to kill you (or maybe just hurt you in a practice amp).

Yeah, I took it apart once and that was probably enough. It's only a bass practice amp anyway. I played around with the iRig stuff (that had the LP 100 attached) at Guitar Center, and thought it was intriguing. I suck enough that I only want myself to hear anyway. At one point I made an Altoids amp out of an old tape player because I was so self-conscious. Maybe I'll try to find something I can just hook some headphones up to.

So, back to the different LPs. The most important thing would be to pick the one I think gives the best tone, right? Whichever one I blind-picked regardless of construction, or is the set neck that important, gives that much better tone that I'd be able to pick it out.

Maybe I should replace my amp first and try to make some progress on the Strat...

I still like my Strat, but it's the bright tone that I...it's not that I don't care for it, it has it's place, but when I practice I just think what I'm playing doesn't sound right.

Playing by yourself is different than playing with a band or backing track. You could try turning the guitar's volume or tone control down a bit to take off the brightness that you would probably put back in if you were playing with others.

So, back to the different LPs. The most important thing would be to pick the one I think gives the best tone, right? Whichever one I blind-picked regardless of construction, or is the set neck that important, gives that much better tone that I'd be able to pick it out.

Whatever makes you excited is a good choice. It could be sound, feel, looks— it's going to be your guitar, you pick. I would pick looks and feel over sound.

If, after that, you want it to sound better, figure out what you don't like and get new pickups and/or new pots or caps— things that do more of the thing you want and less of the thing you don't want. The pickups in the cheap Les Pauls are worth $10, tops. You can get amazing humbuckers for $200 and perfectly good ones for less.

Also, the amp and pedals matter more than the pickups, and collectively they matter about a hundred times more than the wood or the neck joint. And all that matters less than your fingers, muscles, and brain.

As you play more you will figure out the kind of guitar you want to play and how it should sound.

Maybe I should replace my amp first and try to make some progress on the Strat...

Absolutely ditch the busted bass amp. A new amp is a great idea, but an iRig is cheap. Get something.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have experience with Epiphone Wildkats? I really like the look of them and the lighter weight of a semihollow body is appealing to petite me. :p Plus, I already have single coil (Tele) and HH guitars, so I think P90s would be good for variety.

Guitar Center has some on sale for $299 and $350 (latter has a Bigsby bridge), so I might stop by to try them out.

I ordered a Vox amPlug Classic Rock to replace my amp for now. Had good reviews, I can take it anywhere, and was a good price on Amazon. So for now, that's covered.

Now, for $90 more than the LP 100 is this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Traditional-PRO-Electric-Guitar.gc

($320 Cherry Sunburst)

About double the price of the used LP 100, but close enough to used Studio models that there is really no price difference. I'm still headed to the store tomorrow to really test drive a couple, including the Traditional Pro II, which is as close as I can find for in-store.

God dammit!!!!!!!

Like two months ago I lent my precious Ibanez Jem 7VSBL (not sold anymore for a long time so it became a collector item) to my best friend.

Yesterday I got it back and today I began to inspect it under the sun light only to discover that pretty much every metallic part is covered with rust/oxide 8:::::::::...(

Now I need to disassembly it completely in order to clean absolutely everything, including the floating trem.

I called him to ask what the hell happened and besides apologizing, he said all his other guitars are suffering of the same, it seems his sweating + living in a very humid apartment in front of the sea is the problem.

Damn, damn, damn and damn again >:/

Brutal....but at least it was just the hardware.

TheChaos0

Very detailed, thank you. There was a bit I already knew, but it's nice to have a refresher. I still like my Strat, but it's the bright tone that I...it's not that I don't care for it, it has it's place, but when I practice I just think what I'm playing doesn't sound right.

Yeah, I took it apart once and that was probably enough. It's only a bass practice amp anyway. I played around with the iRig stuff (that had the LP 100 attached) at Guitar Center, and thought it was intriguing. I suck enough that I only want myself to hear anyway. At one point I made an Altoids amp out of an old tape player because I was so self-conscious. Maybe I'll try to find something I can just hook some headphones up to.

Most solid state amps should allow you to do that. I would replace your amp first, it makes a lot of difference to use a decent sounding amp. You want to pick some notes, play a chord and say, ye that sounds sweet. And then maybe worry about the tone of the guitar. If you want something less bright, you should look at any guitar with humbuckers, doesn't have to be a Les Paul. Could be another Strat or get an Ibanez (and now that I've said it, I was one...).

Zushin

Anyone here have a Bassbreaker 15? From what I've heard on YouTube (nearest music store is ages away) it sounds really amazing but I'm concerned it'll be too loud for home use to get good tones from. I would get a 007 version instead but no FX loop :/ Any experiences?

---
Completely unrelated but I've made a music theory thread with a couple of questions if anyone wants to chime in.

Well, I finally did some in-depth testing on the models in the store. I tested the LP 100, Traditional Pro II, and maybe a Standard. Or a Standard Plain Top. I noticed a slight thinness, or brightness with the 100, but not as much as I was expecting. I also tried a Wildcat, and a Mitchell. Didn't care for those at all. The Traditional and Standards felt so much nicer though than the 100, which in and of itself I think has convinced me to spend a bit more. I also came off my requirement for a specific color.

I'd really like a go at the Studio Deluxe, but my closest three stores don't carry it. Might go look at a used Traditional Pro and a Custom Pro tomorrow.

Picked up the Studio Deluxe in Wine Red. It's gorgeous. Now just waiting on my Vox amPlug, and I might grab a used amp as well.

AND I just ordered an excellent condition Traditional Pro in black for about $10 cheaper after taxes. I guess I'll keep the one I like the most.

Spladam

6104041.jpg
When I looked at this pick of the Monoprice Indio Cali DLX from the link at the top, I could smell that "new guitar" smell, seriously, my nose was filled with that "just from the store" new guitar wood smell. I don't know if it was the sterile clean looking picture or that bright maple neck, but I think it was a sign. I need a new guitar.

Zushin

Anyone here have a Bassbreaker 15? From what I've heard on YouTube (nearest music store is ages away) it sounds really amazing but I'm concerned it'll be too loud for home use to get good tones from. I would get a 007 version instead but no FX loop :/ Any experiences?

---
Completely unrelated but I've made a music theory thread with a couple of questions if anyone wants to chime in.

Just following up on this. Someone on reddit turned me onto the Hughes and Kettner tubemeister 18. Has lots of great features but from demo's I'm listening too might be a tad on the artificial side compared to the mid gain on the Bassbreaker. Dunno which to get :|

zbarron

I'm considering getting this ukulele
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Cord25S
Does anyone know what figured acacia means in this context?
"Solid acacia top and figured acacia back/sides for bright, round tone"
Is it solid but with a design? Is it laminate? I'm trying to upgrade from my all laminate soprano uke, and while I know the top is most important, I'd like the whole thing to be solid if possible.

CFMOORE!

all this Les Paul made me realize I never posted an acquisition from a few months back

N9AB8aD.jpg

A 1980 Gibson Les Paul Standard Heritage 80. I might love this thing more than my LP Customs.

Looks like Guitar Center may go the way of Radio Shack and other big box store woes.
$1.3 billion+ debt is coming due. Bonds slide to record lows. Outlook going from negative to junk status.

Marketwatch: Will Guitar Center be overwhelmed by its debt?

Blow-out sales soon?

Guess that answers my question if I should take lessons there. They just opened a store real close, which is why I'm getting back into this.

My new one should be here Wednesday, not even sure I'll play the red one if it is as good as the description.

Also, going to need two ukes for the kids, some Amazon advice would be appreciated. Also for a new cheap amp.

---

Ive heard the bassbreaker is very good. Probably also depends on what you consider too loud for home use. I have a mesa boogie mk5 25, which I use in the 10 watt setting, which even still is loud. But its not too loud for me. Alot of amps have lower power modes which is what youll probably be using.

For ukuleles I got a basic kala tenor and it is a good instrument for around 120 euros, they have the makala line that is cheaper and seen to be a good value for a first uke.

zbarron

If it doesn't say solid then it is likely a figured veneer on the back/sides.
Got it. Thanks.
all this Les Paul made me realize I never posted an acquisition from a few months back

N9AB8aD.jpg

A 1980 Gibson Les Paul Standard Heritage 80. I might love this thing more than my LP Customs.
We need to rename this thread: Rich people: OT. Seriously though that thing is gorgeous.

For ukuleles I got a basic kala tenor and it is a good instrument for around 120 euros, they have the makala line that is cheaper and seen to be a good value for a first uke.
I'm considering a second uke. I already have a Kala soprano. I like it a lot, but want to go Tenor for my next one. A lot of tabs ask for frets higher than 12 which I can't do with this, and I'd like to try out a solid wood ukulele since I've never had a solid wood instrument.

Gorgeous!

With some research you can scratch the itch for a 'burst at a fraction of the cost if you're willing to go with a Japanese copy.
Absolutely. Forget about the name and find a guitar you like the look of and plays well. Seriously, a $2000 guitar is not 4 times as good as a $500 guitar. Twice as good maybe! But you can find some lovely looking axes if you look around - second hand and even new.

Absolutely. Forget about the name and find a guitar you like the look of and plays well. Seriously, a $2000 guitar is not 4 times as good as a $500 guitar. Twice as good maybe! But you can find some lovely looking axes if you look around - second hand and even new.

I've been religiously devouring the Rob Chapman videos over the past week, and that's one constant refrain when they are doing the comparisons.

I'm surprised my MIM Strat has apparently kept it's value after all these years. It's been so long I don't exactly remember how much I paid for it, but do remember I had to layaway it. It'll be more than I paid for this EP LP and my dreadnought.

Now that I'm going to have three, I need to figure out what I'm going to do with them. Got a cheap Strat hard case, and a nice gig bag. Thinking about putting them on the wall.

Top Bottom