• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar Gaf |OT| Fingerpickin’ good

LoL! Yeah the gator finish is definitely a love it or hate it thing. I'm in the it's so ugly I Kinda like it camp! I did replace the speedknobs to black dome tops though.

I really like the look of it, but not sure if I would ever buy it. Distinctive, though.

Is there any way to tell string manufacturer? I really like the strings on the LP, I might try the same on the Strat just to get a reference. I have calipers, I can get the gauge.

I wish the second hand market was better around here ( spain), people tent to overprice gear and for the little difference in price I rather have guaranty buying new.

Oh yeah, got a Quilter 101 Mini Reverb. Sounds great despite only playing it through an 8" speaker. Probably going to sell some stuff to get a bigger cab though.

LoL! Yeah the gator finish is definitely a love it or hate it thing. I'm in the it's so ugly I Kinda like it camp! I did replace the speedknobs to black dome tops though.

Speed knobs are the bestest, though! I should get some amber ones for my sunburst to replace the top hats.

TheCochese said:
Is there any way to tell string manufacturer? I really like the strings on the LP, I might try the same on the Strat just to get a reference. I have calipers, I can get the gauge.

According to Epiphone's website almost all the Les Pauls are set up with D'Adarrio 10s. Look up your model on their site, it should say what strings are on it from factory settings.

Speed knobs are the bestest, though! I should get some amber ones for my sunburst to replace the top hats.

Yeah I keep switching them. Not sure...

According to Epiphone's website almost all the Les Pauls are set up with D'Adarrio 10s. Look up your model on their site, it should say what strings are on it from factory settings.

The pickups are switched out, so I doubt the strings are factory either.

Might pull them today. I know at one point I had strings on one of my guitars that had a distinctive ball at the end of them, maybe these have something similar.

blackjaw

Haven't tried the headphones with any pedals; headphones remain a strangely unsatisfying way to play guitar for me, but it's fine. Will give it another go now that I've found sounds I love.

Agree but with two small kids and a wife (although pretty understanding) I have to get my jam in somehow. Currently using a Blackstar Fly 3 on low volume or with headphones...it's decent for what it is but always looking.

Nothing better than pushing air but in lieu of that....a good headphone pedal platform is better than nothing

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
My first ever guitar came in about an hour ago. The Squier Strat. I was able to tune it thanks to the Fender tune app. I managed to learn how to play the opening to "Beat It" by Michael Jackson.

The thing is though I keep hitting other strings and play way too slow. I say day 1 was pretty ok. I have a long way to go. I also need to work on alternate picking.

zbarron

My first ever guitar came in about an hour ago. The Squier Strat. I was able to tune it thanks to the Fender tune app. I managed to learn how to play the opening to "Beat It" by Michael Jackson.

The thing is though I keep hitting other strings and play way too slow. I say day 1 was pretty ok. I have a long way to go. I also need to work on alternate picking.

Awesome. That's great for a first day. Any pictures of your strat? I want to see what color you went with.

III-V

Agree but with two small kids and a wife (although pretty understanding) I have to get my jam in somehow. Currently using a Blackstar Fly 3 on low volume or with headphones...it's decent for what it is but always looking.

Nothing better than pushing air but in lieu of that....a good headphone pedal platform is better than nothing

I am mostly in the same boat. Headphones are a must.

Guitar hangers are done, and they are now mounted.

34917694962_94d5359932_c.jpg

zbarron

Guitar hangers are done, and they are now mounted.

34917694962_94d5359932_c.jpg

I love it. It looks great that they're all the same color scheme. I have two guitar hangers in my living room. It's great motivation to play since they're right there staring at me and it takes 2 seconds to grab.

Still doesn't mean I play as often as I should.

bosseye

Playing 'too slow' is absolutely the right thing to do. You need to start slow, train your fingers to move correctly and with accuracy and speed eventually comes.

To paraphrase a speed mechanics book I have, if you play something fast and sloppy 100 times, why would the 101st time be perfect? You build speed by starting slowly.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Playing 'too slow' is absolutely the right thing to do. You need to start slow, train your fingers to move correctly and with accuracy and speed eventually comes.

To paraphrase a speed mechanics book I have, if you play something fast and sloppy 100 times, why would the 101st time be perfect? You build speed by starting slowly.

Ok thanks for the advice. Do any of you guys have any good pick recommendations ? Right now I'm just using the Fender Medium picks. I hear the Dunlop Tortex picks are very well revered.

Ok thanks for the advice. Do any of you guys have any good pick recommendations ? Right now I'm just using the Fender Medium picks. I hear the Dunlop Tortex picks are very well revered.

Yeah Tortex picks are great, I like the matte feel of the plastic. Picks are a weird thing, you just gotta buy an assortment of different ones and feel what's best for you. Your preferences also change over time. I've even gone back to picks that I thought I didn't like before. Some people pick faster with hard picks while others feel that softer picks are better for shredding, similarly some people like strumming with softer picks while others like strumming with harder ones. These days I'm into Snarling Dogs Brain Picks - the grip is nice and I never drop them.

TkqLem7.gif

Nice, my hanger holding the Fender strat decided to come off the wall a few days ago, it's put me off hanging my Marr jag.

I shouldn't have any worries here. The hangers themselves are screwed and glued, and the glue is rated for being stronger than the wood itself. I also went directly into the stud with 2" screws. I think the wall will fall before these guitars.

My only complaint is how the strat sits, the left side head rest needs to be a bit more sanded. They could also stand to be about 1-2mm wider, the neck on the LP is slightly rubbing. Some 80 grit sanding and through the grits should do the trick. The Strat neck is slightly skinnier and doesn't rub.

So, I'm attempting to learn Thunderstruck. Goddamn can Angus pick fast. My technique for both hands needs help, and that's probably what I'll go to a teacher for. Learning songs will come with time.

zbarron

So, I'm attempting to learn Thunderstruck. Goddamn can Angus pick fast. My technique for both hands needs help, and that's probably what I'll go to a teacher for. Learning songs will come with time.

I'm also working on it. If I go slow I can do the whole intro, but it's almost seeming phycially impossible.
Thunderstruck on Rocksmith 2014
I played it here and it's ridiculous.

Is it really possible to do it that fast with a pick? In the music video he just hammers on and pulls off with the one hand legato style.

I'm also working on it. If I go slow I can do the whole intro, but it's almost seeming phycially impossible.
Thunderstruck on Rocksmith 2014
I played it here and it's ridiculous.

Is it really possible to do it that fast with a pick? In the music video he just hammers on and pulls off with the one hand legato style.

Apparently he does pick it live, according to a lesson on it I saw on YT. Who knows.

I really can't hammer on and pull off and make those clean sounds, so it's picking for me no matter what.

zbarron

Apparently he does pick it live, according to a lesson on it I saw on YT. Who knows.

I really can't hammer on and pull off and make those clean sounds, so it's picking for me no matter what.
I can hammer on and pull off and it rings out cleanly if my amp's gain is way up.
Are you alternate picking? It's not too far if you used good picking technique.
I honestly usually play sans pick, so picking let alone alternate picking is still hard for me. Would this be a good song to practice it with?
Keep working on it and eventually that won't seem really very fast at all.
Thanks.
If this ten year old girl can play the Thunderstruck intro, then you can too!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yh9y9HIGdU
She doesn't seem to pick on every note. Is that how I'm supposed to do it? I've been trying to pick on the open strings too.

Syncytia

It's not terribly fast just take it slow and you'll get it. If you don't really play with a pick playing that fast with your fingers might be another technique you're working on. And finger picking kind of sucks on electric. Probably a decent riff to learn picking though. Play yhebfretted notes down and the open up. Down up down up down up. Once you're comfortable there you can move on to something across multiple strings.

Despite what the music video shows at the very beginning it sounds to me like each note is picked. You could get anyway with tapping, maybe work on both tapping and picking?

FYI if you don't know, gain helps to cover up sloppiness. So if you want to practice technique make sure you aren't selling yourself short and using gain to cover up things you need to improve.

III-V

I can hammer on and pull off and it rings out cleanly if my amp's gain is way up.

I honestly usually play sans pick, so picking let alone alternate picking is still hard for me. Would this be a good song to practice it with?

Thanks.

She doesn't seem to pick on every note. Is that how I'm supposed to do it? I've been trying to pick on the open strings too.

I would pick the fretted notes and pull-off the open notes. I am fastest with a medium-hard pick. Easier with low action, and use your pinky for the 4-7 5-8

zbarron

It's not terribly fast just take it slow and you'll get it. If you don't really play with a pick playing that fast with your fingers might be another technique you're working on. And finger picking kind of sucks on electric. Probably a decent riff to learn picking though. Play yhebfretted notes down and the open up. Down up down up down up. Once you're comfortable there you can move on to something across multiple strings.

Despite what the music video shows at the very beginning it sounds to me like each note is picked. You could get anyway with tapping, maybe work on both tapping and picking?

FYI if you don't know, gain helps to cover up sloppiness. So if you want to practice technique make sure you aren't selling yourself short and using gain to cover up things you need to improve.
Why do you say finger picking sucks on electric?

Most of my time practicing is completely unplugged since I'm lazy and don't want to take the minute to get all the cords in order and plug into my amp. That said I don't practice much at all. Just whenever I get the urge to fiddle with it.

I would pick the fretted notes and pull-off the open notes. I am fastest with a medium-hard pick. Easier with low action, and use your pinky for the 4-7 5-8
I'll have to try this at some point. I'm so used to picking every note this may be even harder for me having to constantly remind myself to only pick every other.

III-V

I'll have to try this at some point. I'm so used to picking every note this may be even harder for me having to constantly remind myself to only pick every other.

Just pick when you fret, its easy to remember.

Or like others have said, high gain and hammer on pick off the whole thing, or do a bit of both.

zbarron

I was planning on getting the Zoom G1Xon for myself for Father's Day. Now I'm having second thoughts. Considering I'm still very much a beginner when would you suggest adding pedals? Would it be a help? A hinderance? A distraction, or a motivator to pick up the guitar more?

I also tried lowering my action today in hopes of having a slightly easier time performing Thunderstruck. I found I need to keep my G string (lol) higher than the rest or keep them all up or else it buzzes. It seems the nut slot is cut pretty deep, so I was considering replacing that instead.

You said you don't practice much at all. Anything that makes you practice more is good. Equipment doesn't replace time spent playing and practicing.

I would watch That Pedal Show on YouTube and figure out the sorts of effects you might want.

I was planning on getting the Zoom G1Xon for myself for Father's Day. Now I'm having second thoughts. Considering I'm still very much a beginner when would you suggest adding pedals? Would it be a help? A hinderance? A distraction, or a motivator to pick up the guitar more?

I have a G1Xon and I like it, though I haven't really dialed down into editing presets. It has a lot going for it: lots of different, editable sounds; a pedal that can be used for wah, volume, expression; a looper (this really helps for solo jamming); it's inexpensive; has headphone out and aux in. It's a simple, cheap way to explore many different kinds of effects to add. Of course, they're not the best effects you could buy, but they'll let you figure out what you prefer. I find that having a way to play heavy metal, country, jazz, rock sounds, etc. is a good motivator. A reasonable buy at $70, but you can get them much cheaper used.

And keep practicing with a pick! Down, up, down, up, down...

sgjackson

was bored so i figured out how to get reaper and obs to play together since i just got some recording stuff. made a rough cover of the song of storms. the sweeps (i think they're sweeps? the bit you actually play on the ocarina) are ehhhh and there's some string noise cause i didn't do a great job of muting but the rest is okay. if you've got any hot recording tips (especially for bass tone, which i think is the weakest thing here) please let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8OlVkikntg

Wag

Nobody answered me the first time so I'll ask again:

Anyone try sonicjunction.com? There seem to be some pretty good instructors on there.

Head.spawn

post pics and tell me what you think when it comes in. i haven't gelled with the ibanezes i've tried but that one is hot.

Will do, though I am a bit of a biased sucker for Ibanez (this will be number 10 in that many years) so I'm not sure how much weight my opinion can hold.

I like ibanez but cant deal with floyd roses , I have a jackson superstrat with one that I have given up in setting up.

anyway, good looking guitar.

Picked up an Epiphone EB-3 SG style bass on eBay for $150 (including hard case and shipping!!). Totally mint. It was one of those "eBay Valet" listings. They cluelessly listed it as a "4-String Acoustic" and it wasn't even in the electric bass category. I was the only bidder! lol!

RG1070PBZ_CBB_1P_01_CU_Body_Top.jpg

FedEx is telling me this will finally arrive on Saturday. Pre-ordered back in February, lol.

Super psyched.

Very nice man! Post pics soon!

Picked up an Epiphone EB-3 SG style bass on eBay for $150 (including hard case and shipping!!). Totally mint. It was one of those "eBay Valet" listings. They cluelessly listed it as a "4-String Acoustic" and it wasn't even in the electric bass category. I was the only bidder! lol!

Sweet. I need to be very careful in this thread, I don't need a fourth guitar.

Sweet. I need to be very careful in this thread, I don't need a fourth guitar.

:p I have 5 guitars and a bass. I have the same issue, too. I browse ESP's clearance section every few days and just think about picking up one of the discounted guitars. I really do want to get a custom guitar at some point in my life, though. I should just save up for that!

Head.spawn

Nice, is that an RG prestige? Whats the top made it out of, some kind of spalted maple?

Yep, RG1070PBZ Premium. The top is poplar burl, body is american basswood.

I like ibanez but cant deal with floyd roses , I have a jackson superstrat with one that I have given up in setting up.

anyway, good looking guitar.

Setting up these floating bridges definitely takes what I'd consider a degree of wizardry that I don't really possess. I'll be paying someone else the pleasure of doing that, lol.

I was a bit hesitant, because the first guitar I got with a Floyd back in the day was a total disaster trying to set-up. Absolutely no idea wtf I was doing. The second guitar I had with a trem, I installed a Tremel-No (you can go from floating to "hardtai"l-mode in couple seconds) and left it in locked position for the lifetime of that guitar. But since then I had a JPXI-7 guitar wasn't going to do any modifications on that guitar.. but I gave that guitar a full set-ups myself and maybe I lucked out but it went well (to be fair it's not as nutty as a floyd trem). That gave a bit more confidence that maybe another go at a floyd-style trem will go over better this time around, so I'm going to pay for a set-up initially, then get someone to teach me how to do it properly.

If you don't feel like mussing around with the trem on that guitar of yours, I'd highly recommend either just installing a trem-block or something like Tremel-No; effectively turning it into a "hard-tail".

RG1070PBZ_CBB_1P_01_CU_Body_Top.jpg

FedEx is telling me this will finally arrive on Saturday. Pre-ordered back in February, lol.

Super psyched.

Sweet... An RG J-Custom or American with a bird's-eye maple top? Looks awesome...

This is my most recent acquisition - got lucky a few weeks back; it was probably the last available CE24 Reclaimed Limited in North America... picked it up by chance at a local shop that doesn't do shipping...

CtyjVmS.jpg

Top Bottom