• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Fusebox said:
I love the sunburst on your Tele, this is the one I've been eyeing off:

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0265102521

I like the Joe Strummer edition too, but I'd never be able to afford it:

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0133900750

Those Korean made Lite Ash Telecaster don't seem to be all that good... I had a Lite Ash Stratocaster, and frankly it sucked. Didn't stay in tune, sounded dull, and was even pretty heavy...

I tried one of those Joe Strummer teles at shop, and it was pretty cool. Light and sounded good... the neck felt pretty strange with all that relic treatment, but I think you can get used to it.

For a cheaper Tele you should try this:
http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0141502389

Fender Classic Player Baja Telecaster. The neck is pretty thick compared to most of the new telecasters, but the specs are great, and the one I tried played and sounded very good...

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
i should have cleaned it up a little... (EMG81/89r)
kh.jpg

kh2.jpg

i customised this rare beauty a little ...(S.Duncan) it has a flashy sparkle paintjob
yama1.jpg

yam2.jpg

my amp...crafted in bavaria :)
savage%20se.jpg

and here an pic of my stuff while it was all at home...i dont really play with the marshall :( (dont know why i did this glooming stuff??)
Internet.jpg

well beside this i have some pedals...my dearest is my noisegate "isp dezimator" an amazing pedal!

edit: i almost forgot: my girlfriend gave me her Ibanez analog delay AD 202 a week ago as a gift !!! (its 30years old) - god that thing is amazing! its pure psychodelic! buy one if you can! (no pic its in the rehearsal room)

Fusebox

Banned
Kirk Hammett into an Engl! Dude, sweet combo. You must be able to get some insane metal tones from that rig!

*drool*

agrajag

Banned
Umm, I never took pictures of my gear, but here are a couple of me playing in my death metal band when I was 19

IHFlive8.jpg

BC Rich Beast (I've sold it since then)

serge1.JPG

7 String Ibanez RG

Fusebox

Banned
New family member. Meet '57 re-issue Strat.

2869256433_6422bc9db7.jpg

2869256431_11d4d984d1.jpg

Shes a tidy 1994 MIJ - I brought her home a couple of nights ago, popped a beer, jacked in, flipped to neck pup, hooked into the strings and TONE! Serious tone that sounds like it just stepped out of the 50's and stubbed its cigarette out on my amp. I checked some other pup combos, shes got all the glassy, planky, old smokey tones I need - really responsive to my picking styles too, fat fucking neck that makes me work for it but sooo rewarding, I'm in love.

Zyzyxxz

hey guys I've been thinking of getting into electric guitars, since I started with an acoustic a few months ago.

I don't want to plop down too much since I am a beginner but I've been trying to find a amp that is good for the money.

Searching on Craiglist I found a used:

Fender FM15 DSP $75?

Or should I just grab a new one from Guitarcenter? Should I get a combo amp from them? I'm not sure how many watts I'll need, would 10W be enough just for playing for myself?

Zyzyxxz said:
hey guys I've been thinking of getting into electric guitars, since I started with an acoustic a few months ago.

I don't want to plop down too much since I am a beginner but I've been trying to find a amp that is good for the money.

Searching on Craiglist I found a used:

Fender FM15 DSP $75?

Or should I just grab a new one from Guitarcenter? Should I get a combo amp from them? I'm not sure how many watts I'll need, would 10W be enough just for playing for myself?

Those ultra-cheap Fenders are not any good. Get a Vox DA5 or a Roland MicroCube. The Vox is very good for the price, but an used MicroCube should also be fine if you can get one for cheap. Even 1 watt is enough for playing by yourself.

my guitfiddle. Fender 1979 25th anniversary Stratocaster and a Fender Blues- Junior amp. I got more guitars (acoustic and semi acoustic) and stuff (amps, crybabay, etc.) but this is what i play with most of the time:
15nm62a.jpg

Fusebox said:
Thats tidy Honest, is it a US?

thanx. yeah u.s.a.. i went to the store to buy a brand new sunburst stratocaster (always wanted one).. i tried a few strats, and walked away with this beat up white thing :lol .. it just sounded the best.... love at first listen.

lots has been changed to it though (by the previous owner) . paint (it was silver once...) pick ups (i still have the original ones.. maybe i'll try them some time, never heard them..and i really want to hear the original sound to) and the neck was replaced... so not the big original head :(..

it's heavy by the way..

Zyzyxxz

Hey guys I've read that many would say a Yamaha Pacifica is a good beginners guitar and I found some guy willing to sell it to me for a low price.

The thing is the picture he provided, the guitar has no whammy bar unlike the ones shown on the Yamaha and Guitarcenter websites.

Does that mean its really old? Anything I should look out for when I go to check it out?

Here is a pic:

IMG00225.jpg

Zyzyxxz said:
Hey guys I've read that many would say a Yamaha Pacifica is a good beginners guitar and I found some guy willing to sell it to me for a low price.

The thing is the picture he provided, the guitar has no whammy bar unlike the ones shown on the Yamaha and Guitarcenter websites.

Does that mean its really old? Anything I should look out for when I go to check it out?

Here is a pic:

]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/th_crazyJ/IMG00225.jpg[/IMG]

He has just taken the bar out probably... you can get a replacement for a couple of bucks if you take it to a store. Some people don't like using the bar, the guitar stays in tune better if you don't use it.

Desperado

Well, I think I see the hole for the whammy, but I can't be sure with the quality of that picture.

Anyway, the Pacifica 112 is good (I have one), but the 012 sucks, supposedly. Make sure it's a 112 with an alder (not agathis) body.

Zyzyxxz

Desperado said:
Well, I think I see the hole for the whammy, but I can't be sure with the quality of that picture.

Anyway, the Pacifica 112 is good (I have one), but the 012 sucks, supposedly. Make sure it's a 112 with an alder (not agathis) body.

is it that much worse?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Zyzyxxz said:
is it that much worse?

i think for a beginner the difference does not matter - if you take guitarplaying seriosly youll most def. buy a new one after a while
(when you get an idea of what you need and want... sound and playability wise, who knows maybe youll end up in an grindcore band :) )

just go and rock on as long as you have the desire!

Zyzyxxz

sankt-Antonio said:
i think for a beginner the difference does not matter - if you take guitarplaying seriosly youll most def. buy a new one after a while
(when you get an idea of what you need and want... sound and playability wise, who knows maybe youll end up in an grindcore band :) )

thanks for the tip.

I've been learning on a cheap acoustic I got at a garage sale and I felt the need to upgrade to a better one. I went to guitarcenter to try out a bunch of em but I took a try at electrics and I was wowed, I knew I wanted to get in on it.

Too bad I'm too poor now but if I stick with it I'm definitely gonna upgrade to something much better. Plenty of inspiration in this thread.

Desperado

sankt-Antonio said:

It really depends on the person...some beginners WILL be happy with whatever, but a lot of people will just get discouraged with a sub-par guitar and will consequently give up.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Didn't want to start a new thread, and thought this one was appropriate to ask this in:

I'm looking into getting a foot switch set-up. Mainly, something like this: http://line6.com/podx3live/

I really just want to be able to switch between different sounds that I set myself with ease, and have the accessibility of a wah/volume pedal.

Any recommendations?

My current set-up is an Ibanez RG5EX1 with a Line 6 Spider III amp.

reilo said:
Didn't want to start a new thread, and thought this one was appropriate to ask this in:

I'm looking into getting a foot switch set-up. Mainly, something like this: http://line6.com/podx3live/

I really just want to be able to switch between different sounds that I set myself with ease, and have the accessibility of a wah/volume pedal.

Any recommendations?

Vox Tonelab LE or SE would be good:
http://www.voxamps.com/us/pedals/tonelable/

Maybe it doesn't have as much stuff as POD X3 Live or Boss GT-10, but easier to use, and sounds better. Well, GT-10 would be maybe slightly better than POD also:
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=941

reilo

SpoonyBard said:
Vox Tonelab LE or SE would be good:
http://www.voxamps.com/us/pedals/tonelable/

Maybe it doesn't have as much stuff as POD X3 Live or Boss GT-10, but easier to use, and sounds better. Well, GT-10 would be maybe slightly better than POD also:
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=941
Nice, thanks. The SPDIF out on the Vox intrigues me, as it uses a digital cable.

I might just opt for the FBV Shortboard that was designed for the Line 6:

http://line6.com/spideriii/footcontrollers.html

But I want a little more control than that.

reilo said:

Any recommendations?

I'm the kind of snob who would yell from the rooftops "GOD NO!!!! DON'T DO IT!!! NEVER BUY A MULTI-EFFECTS PEDAL!!!", but singular effects worth owning are usually expensive. I've owned a POD a while back and wasn't very happy with the sounds. I do like a couple of their tone-core stand-alones (Verbzilla & Echopark). Individual stomp boxes will always sound better. When looking for gear reviews and advice, always check the Harmony Central review database before you buy. Beware of GAS (Gear acquisition syndrome).

Honestly, a much better use of your money would be replacing that amp with something with tubes in it, but if you're happy with it, it's all good.

reilo

Mango Positive said:
I'm the kind of snob who would yell from the rooftops "GOD NO!!!! DON'T DO IT!!! NEVER BUY A MULTI-EFFECTS PEDAL!!!", but singular effects worth owning are usually expensive. I've owned a POD a while back and wasn't very happy with the sounds. I do like a couple of their tone-core stand-alones (Verbzilla & Echopark). Individual stomp boxes will always sound better. When looking for gear reviews and advice, always check the Harmony Central review database before you buy. Beware of GAS (Gear acquisition syndrome).

Honestly, a much better use of your money would be replacing that amp with something with tubes in it, but if you're happy with it, it's all good.
I'm a hobbyist, if I ever make it big and go on stage, I will upgrade my entire gear :lol.

I just need something that allows me to switch from one sound to the next with ease and without having to readjust all the knobs on my amp for 5 mins to get the sound I want.

That's why I might go with the FBV Shortboard as it will modulate everything through the amp itself, and not through the effects pedal.

Mango Positive said:

Vox Tonelab sounds a bit like a real tube amp, even though the dynamic range is smaller and it doesn't feel or respond quite like one. But it's good enough for home use. Well, I like using a small tube amp at home (Fender Blues Junior) and only use my Tonelab if I want to play louder (with headphones) or play with strange sounds or effects. But I still like it :)

FBV Shortboard is ok I guess, but it's kind of expensive for what it is, and it feels pretty flimsy compared to Tonelab. And frankly, Spider doesn't sound nearly as good as Tonelab.

reilo

SpoonyBard said:
Vox Tonelab sounds a bit like a real tube amp, even though the dynamic range is smaller and it doesn't feel or respond quite like one. But it's good enough for home use. Well, I like using a small tube amp at home (Fender Blues Junior) and only use my Tonelab if I want to play louder (with headphones) or play with strange sounds or effects. But I still like it :)
Question about the VOX Tonelab...

I'm viewing videos about it and researching it, but it seems that you cannot switch between one sound that you set yourself to another. IE, the 4 controllers are there to turn off individual effects [reverb, delay, modulation, etc], but is there a way to assign one complete preset to each individual switch and then play through them?

For example, I want one switch to be a clean guitar, and the switch next to it to be in overdrive mode. Does the VOX do that, or do I have to use my hand to pick between different sounds?

It seems that the BOSS GT-10 lets me do that.

reilo said:
Question about the VOX Tonelab...

I'm viewing videos about it and researching it, but it seems that you cannot switch between one sound that you set yourself to another. IE, the 4 controllers are there to turn off individual effects [reverb, delay, modulation, etc], but is there a way to assign one complete preset to each individual switch and then play through them?

For example, I want one switch to be a clean guitar, and the switch next to it to be in overdrive mode. Does the VOX do that, or do I have to use my hand to pick between different sounds?

It seems that the BOSS GT-10 lets me do that.

Tonelab lets you do that too, you can switch between that mode and what you described by pressing and holding the Insert button.

reilo

SpoonyBard said:
Tonelab lets you do that too, you can switch between that mode and what you described by pressing and holding the Insert button.
Oh excellent. So that way if I am playing a certain song, and the solo requires a certain effect on it [say, wah or tremolo], I can switch between that easily then?

reilo said:
Oh excellent. So that way if I am playing a certain song, and the solo requires a certain effect on it [say, wah or tremolo], I can switch between that easily then?

Yeah. And you can setup it so that pressing the Control button switches on an effect, or pressing the wah pedal all the way down turns it on and off. The factory settings are already pretty good, with some banks pressing Control turns on tremolo, more overdrive or compressor. The factory setups are pretty good in my opinion, I haven't really messed up with them all that much. If you are playing with a band you might want to tone reverb and delay effects down, but when playing at home they sound good the way they are.

Ernie ball Musicman Axis and a Vox valvetronics combo are pictured in this pic,my guitar is about 8 years old now but i still love it to death.

edit found it at last

musicname.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Now make a pouty face!

Thats an awesome little amp btw, I used to have the same one. Nice quilted maple on the EB too.

reilo said:

I use the Boss ME-50.

Pros: Sounds awesome. It's designed as individual stomps for quick use or can flip it into Bank memory mode for preset use. It's older with no amp modelling so is fairly cheap, but I deliberately didn't want amp modelling in my pedal as I already had it in my old Vox Valvetronix.

Cons: Some of the distortion settings can be weak (theres still a good selection of awesome distortions to use though), and it doesnt have seperate section out for an fx loop.

It has the wah/pitch shifter/vol expression pedal, harmonist, univibe, loads of mad fx and as you can see it keeps my rig very tidy:

2869256433_6422bc9db7.jpg

If I had the cash to buy a fancy new one I'd probably get the TC Electronics Nova system.

tc_nova_system.jpg

But no expression pedal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dont' have pics, but a Gibson SG Special and a Marshall JCM-900 2502 (i.e. not a dual reverb).

It pretty much rocks, but purists will just bitch because the amp isn't an 800, which is stupid.

looking at these amazing set-ups makes me jealous, ive worked hard to afford my set-up but i really wish all the great UK amps were more affordable as their sound just blows any american amp sound outta the water IMO. ill post my set-up too if i can find a pic.

some of you guys must get some godly tone out of those set-ups.:lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fusebox said:
Did you spend all your cash on your Gibson and Marshall and now you can't afford a camera? :p
I'm at work.

I guess I could have just posted nothing, but I didn't so it is what it is :eek:

reilo

SpoonyBard said:
Yeah. And you can setup it so that pressing the Control button switches on an effect, or pressing the wah pedal all the way down turns it on and off. The factory settings are already pretty good, with some banks pressing Control turns on tremolo, more overdrive or compressor. The factory setups are pretty good in my opinion, I haven't really messed up with them all that much. If you are playing with a band you might want to tone reverb and delay effects down, but when playing at home they sound good the way they are.
Another quick question...

How do you set up the Tonelab with your amp? Do you keep the amp on clean [keeping all the dial knobs in the middle?], or do you run the Tonelab through a standalone cabinet?

reilo said:
Another quick question...

How do you set up the Tonelab with your amp? Do you keep the amp on clean [keeping all the dial knobs in the middle?], or do you run the Tonelab through a standalone cabinet?

You need an (power) amp, you can't plug it directly into a cabinet. But your Spider on clean channel with flat EQ, or mid dial maxed, should do fine. There's a setting in Tonelab menu that lets you select between line-out and amp out, with a guitar amp you should use tha amp out setting, but with a normal audio amp you should use the line-out setting. I have tried using mine with my home theater system, but it hasn't sounded that good. It sounds best with headphones or a guitar amp.

reilo

SpoonyBard said:
You need an (power) amp, you can't plug it directly into a cabinet. But your Spider on clean channel with flat EQ, or mid dial maxed, should do fine. There's a setting in Tonelab menu that lets you select between line-out and amp out, with a guitar amp you should use tha amp out setting, but with a normal audio amp you should use the line-out setting. I have tried using mine with my home theater system, but it hasn't sounded that good. It sounds best with headphones or a guitar amp.
Okay, cool.

How well does it handle Bass with the amp's EQ at null?

reilo

Picked up the Tonelab LE for $340 today. Liking it so far.

ten5ive9ine

They've got me haunting a family in Texas.
Just picked up my new Hot Rod this morning.
6120-Setzer-Hot-Rod-sm.jpg

I'm not wild about the colour but the price was excellent and it sounds amazing, which is what's important.

reilo

SpoonyBard said:
I used to have a Parker Fly that was even thinner than that :)
Crazy. I think my next axe is gonna be a Les Paul to supplement my Ibanez RG5. Any suggestions? I want something a little more high-end.

Fusebox

Banned
I think it's some kind of alchemy! The body curves toward the centre so it's nearly normal thickness under the pups and it just tapers right off at the edges. Crazy light and comfy and the neck is slick as.

Parkers sure are mentally thin, they're made of crazy futuristic composite materials to keep the strength required to hold the neck aren't they?

Les Pauls are awesome, prepare to be bruised!

Top Bottom