• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

NEO0MJ

New pedal, get! Now I just have to figure out an ideal setting for it.

29585313103_c8282bc430_o.png

Been looking up a lot of pedals recently. I hope this doesn't become a problem later, considering I'm still a beginner, lol.

Also, still no news on the new thread? Should we stop waiting and start working on one? What topics should it cover?

CFMOORE!

latest acquisition. it was built the day before i was born 34 years ago! it has what some call "legendary" Tim Shaw pickups in it, and I gotta say, so far this thing does sound mighty sweet.

e4aYiF0.jpg

Scottify

latest acquisition. it was built the day before i was born 34 years ago! it has what some call "legendary" Tim Shaw pickups in it, and I gotta say, so far this thing does sound mighty sweet.

e4aYiF0.jpg

Very very nice, I'm a huge fan of 335s. What are you playing it through and how do you like it so far?

NEO0MJ

e4aYiF0.jpg

Beautiful. I've always been interested in checking out how these sound different from a regular electric guitar.

should probably go ahead and get started on another one since llama had gone radio silent

Oh, I want to do it!

CFMOORE!

Very very nice, I'm a huge fan of 335s. What are you playing it through and how do you like it so far?

Beautiful. I've always been interested in checking out how these sound different from a regular electric guitar.

Oh, I want to do it!

Thanks guys!

here's what I've got:

AVfwwKL.jpg

ignore the Line6 head, i got it free and basically use it to elevate the Peavy to a height that makes it easy to tweaks settings.

blackjaw

Thanks guys!

here's what I've got:

AVfwwKL.jpg

ignore the Line6 head, i got it free and basically use it to elevate the Peavy to a height that makes it easy to tweaks settings.

THR 15 or 30? Fantastic "quiet" amp for headphone use...regret selling mine some days.

I also enjoy the Zelda cart on the twin reverb

CFMOORE!

THR 15 or 30? Fantastic "quiet" amp for headphone use...regret selling mine some days.

I also enjoy the Zelda cart on the twin reverb

THR15. Yeah, it's a fun little amp. That Zelda cart was signed by Miyamoto at E3 2002 when I met him behind the scenes at Nintendo's booth!

Differences can be pretty subtle between a semi-hollowbody and a solid body (all else being equal). I'm having trouble coming up with a way of articulating my experiences without using cork-sniffing words like 'airy' and 'rounder', but it's worth checking out.

Am I the only one that practice with the electric guitar unplugged? I do it almost all the time, for some reason I like to hear the actual sound produced by the strings instead of the amp sound :p

CFMOORE!

Am I the only one that practice with the electric guitar unplugged? I do it almost all the time, for some reason I like to hear the actual sound produced by the strings instead of the amp sound :p

i play my electrics unplugged 90% of the time.

as for the twin not being used above, i bought mine maybe 5 months ago, i've plugged into it twice. not for lack of liking it, i just gravitate towards my peavy, which actually has a fairly decent clean, though I am almost never on clean.

now that I have the ES-335 i plan to go to the twin and try out some stuff.

NEO0MJ

So I think this is the basic outline of what I'll include in the OT. This should cover everything, right?

Intro
Acoustic: History, sound, popular genres, significant brands/models, equipment, and accessories
Electric: Same as above but with a bit more detail due to the extra variables
Beginner: What kind of guitar to buy, what to look for, tutorials
Resources: Where to buy and popular books/programs
Popular Q&A

Differences can be pretty subtle between a semi-hollowbody and a solid body (all else being equal). I'm having trouble coming up with a way of articulating my experiences without using cork-sniffing words like 'airy' and 'rounder', but it's worth checking out.

Oh god please stop.

Just kidding. But yeah after watching a few videos I think get what you mean.

Practice/noodling occasionally, but not any sort of writing/exploring because of how important the amp (and effects) are to the sound and feel of the instrument.

sgjackson

i turn it on for dedicated practice or when i feel like playing music, but i spend a lot of time watching other stuff with an unplugged electric absentmindedly running through practice exercises.

So, thinking of getting the Fender Aerodyne sometime later. Got an Ibanez AR620 last week.
Very pretty. Nice clean sound with a variety of tonal options. Very playable. Only downside is the neck/headstock is a little heavy so it tends to drop when you're standing with the guitar. So I have to kind of grip it whilst playing. Apart from that very nice.

Now just saving up to get a Keeley Dark Side for my Gilmour fantasies.

So, thinking of getting the Fender Aerodyne sometime later. Got an Ibanez AR620 last week.

Very pretty. Nice clean sound with a variety of tonal options. Very playable. Only downside is the neck/headstock is a little heavy so it tends to drop when you're standing with the guitar. So I have to kind of grip it whilst playing. Apart from that very nice.

Nice! I have an old '85 Ibanez Artist that needs repairs badly. It's a great guitar, but yeah they're heavy as fuck solid bodies. Be careful of the strap peg, the straps slip out easy. It's one of the reasons my Artist is all messed up, it dropped a few times cuz the strap came off.

scooped up a used boss dd-500 at guitar center for only 200. surprised they had a discount that steep given its in mint condition and the pedal released barely a year ago

Nice! I have an old '85 Ibanez Artist that needs repairs badly. It's a great guitar, but yeah they're heavy as fuck solid bodies. Be careful of the strap peg, the straps slip out easy. It's one of the reasons my Artist is all messed up, it dropped a few times cuz the strap came off.
I'll bare that in mind. Maybe some strap locks would come in handy.

Anyone use an Xotic SP compressor? I've heard good things and the price is right.

I'll bare that in mind. Maybe some strap locks would come in handy.

After my Les Paul fell off its strap and took a neck-first dive to the floor 15 years ago, I've put them on every electric I own. I have both the common Schaler ones and the Dunlop ones and vastly prefer the Dunlop ones.

Man, skills deteriorate so fast when you stop playing for a while.

They come back. Taking a break can give you new ideas and new interests, though.

Man, skills deteriorate so fast when you stop playing for a while.

They come back with practice. I stopped playing for a loooong time, then got back into it hardcore and now I'm playing better than I ever have in my life. Rebuilding the calluses is the difficult part - takes about 2 weeks of solid playing.

Ahh, for a moment I thought Yamaha had released a new amp (besides the THR100).

I own the THR10 too and it's indeed awesome, I love the FLAT amp modeling cause it saves me from having an extra amp for my Korg M50 keyboard :)
I love my THR10... I use FLAT and Phones to create live patches on my Helix, but when I just want to plug in and noodle in front of the computer, I have five killer patches programmed in it that put a smile on my face every time... Best practice amp I've ever owned (and I've owned a few - still refuse to give up the Tech 21 TM10 it replaced, though)...

Anyone use an Xotic SP compressor? I've heard good things and the price is right.
I've had one on my board pretty much since they introduced the pedal... I like it a lot, but I'm not a compression junky; I mostly use it to keep the volume evened out when I have to finger-pick passages in the classic rock cover band I play in (like on Alice Cooper's Deperado)... I actually have two of them; one for my big board and one for my small board; don't think you can beat them for an all-rounder... great size too; they don't eat up much board space...

NEO0MJ

They come back. Taking a break can give you new ideas and new interests, though.

They come back with practice. I stopped playing for a loooong time, then got back into it hardcore and now I'm playing better than I ever have in my life. Rebuilding the calluses is the difficult part - takes about 2 weeks of solid playing.

Thing is I never feel I manage to stick long enough. Like, I can work on it for two months or so and then leave it for a few weeks, come back playing lousier than when I left, and then get discouraged and drop it for longer.

Also, since no one raised any objections i'll make the new thread.

keffri

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but I'm interested in learning to play the guitar. I've got a few questions before investing any money.

1. Should I start with Acoustic or Electric? I've heard that you should start with acoustic, but playing electric is physically easier. Some say you should start with what you actually want to play. I'd like to start electric, but depending on my progression I'd also pick up an acoustic.

2. How transferable are the skills between the two? If I start with an electric and later pick up an acoustic would it be much quicker to learn how to play?

3. How much money should I invest into a first guitar, amp, etc?

4. Where do you start with learning? Is learning through the internet/youtube a viable option these days? Or is my best bet still taking lessons.

I'd just like to pick it up as a new hobby and it seems like it'd be pretty fun. I used to play the drums years back, but do to space and noise issues I'd like to pick up something smaller and more portable.

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but I'm interested in learning to play the guitar. I've got a few questions before investing any money.

1. Should I start with Acoustic or Electric? I've heard that you should start with acoustic, but playing electric is physically easier. Some say you should start with what you actually want to play. I'd like to start electric, but depending on my progression I'd also pick up an acoustic.

2. How transferable are the skills between the two? If I start with an electric and later pick up an acoustic would it be much quicker to learn how to play?

3. How much money should I invest into a first guitar, amp, etc?

4. Where do you start with learning? Is learning through the internet/youtube a viable option these days? Or is my best bet still taking lessons.

I'd just like to pick it up as a new hobby and it seems like it'd be pretty fun. I used to play the drums years back, but do to space and noise issues I'd like to pick up something smaller and more portable.

Same here, been looking to take the plunge for a while now as a new hobby.

Starting with an acoustic is stupid advice unless you want to play the sort of music one plays on an acoustic.

Skills are very transferable— some techniques do not lend themselves to the other for one reason or another, but it is very easy to take a basic understanding of one to the other.

How much? How long is a piece of string? You only need a cheap electric guitar and a dingus to plug it into a computer-like device or practice amp. You can spend a lot more if you want. Cheap guitars have never been better (but buy one sold at a music store, not a department store).

NEO0MJ

Yeah. According to what I read there's no ideal beginner guitar. However it seems that it's easier to learn with electric guitar due to a couple of factors like width of neck and how it picks up strumming.

zbarron

I just got my first guitar yesterday.
img_20161026_070802eps9l.jpg

It's a Jasmine S-35. I put on some new EJ16 strings, shaved down the saddle to lower the action and tightened up the truss rod a bit. Since this is my first guitar I don't have anything to compare it to but it sounds great and the intonation is perfect.

shaowebb

I'm sorta a bastard child of music. I play dulcimer but I had a solid body red mahogany electric dulcimer made with a dimebucker bridge and invader neck pickup. I use a line 6 pod 2.0 and a spider 3 amp.

So not a guitar, but not a dulcimer anymore since its built entirely to emulate a guitar. Its even designed for hybrid grips so I can either play overhanded like a lap dulcimer or underhanded like a guitar. I wish I could get a tremolo system custom machined for it.
I got the idea watching "The Famous Unknowns" play on Youtube after seeing Lindsay Buckland playing his custom designed electric dulcimer. I designed the shape loosely off his body design and mixed in some stuff from flying V stuff so it could rest upright on my knee for vertical randy rhodes stuff if I ever managed it. Im mediocre at best. Special thanks goes to the retired Luthier "Tom Yocky" who built this for me. It was an insane project and he did amazing. He improved the design on the neck as I had originally designed it laying atop the body like a dulcimer which would've been bulky and hard on strings. He also added the custom patterning to the body's wood once I gave him leeway to cut loose. Helluva builder.

jxayMCK.jpg

Yr9A3Q5.jpg

For the record Dulcimer's usually look like this and are just played for fingerpicking folk music as a lap instrument. I may be from appalachia but I'm anything but traditional lol. The Electric suits me.
jnUuAwM.jpg

zbarron

Having just started learning guitar a week ago, I'm excited for the new thread.

I know there don't seem to be many acoustic players here, but is there something anyone could recommend to tone down the boominess of my Dreadnought? I'm currently using D'addario EJ16 Phosphor Bronze light guage strings. Would switching them out for EJ11 80/20 light gauge strings brighten it up and boost the high end so it isn't as drowned out? Is there a different set of strings anyone would recommend or anything else I can do?

I'm also considering switching the saddle to out for a GraphTech TUSQ saddle. I have no idea if it'll help with the boominess but it's recomended as a cheap easy upgrade to the sound since it's supposed to be better than the stock saddle.

Just subscribed to this thread. Not sure how I never saw it before. Going to try and take some pictures of my gear tonight. Love what I'm seeing so far.

So not a guitar, but not a dulcimer anymore since its built entirely to emulate a guitar. Its even designed for hybrid grips so I can either play overhanded like a lap dulcimer or underhanded like a guitar. I wish I could get a tremolo system custom machined for it.

Neat :)

Would any of the Hipshot benders or a Bigsby fit? They all mount after the bridge.

I know there don't seem to be many acoustic players here

I'm in an acoustic phase right now, but there's rarely anything I feel like posting. I guess I could try and start a conversation. :p

is there something anyone could recommend to tone down the boominess of my Dreadnought?

While I don't have a dreadnaught:

Yes, try 80/20 strings. You could also try getting a set with lighter bass strings. I seem to recall that in the dim recesses of my brain.

Try varying where you are strumming/picking/plucking— all the way from the last frets of the neck to the bridge.

Try strumming with the flesh of your thumb instead of a pick.

I'm also considering switching the saddle

Save your money for something other than a dreadnaught.

Top Bottom