• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Ok Guitar GAF, got some new stands and polished up and restrung/adjusted some of my old gear. Been meaning to post my axes here for awhile so here we go:

L to R:

Ibanez RG 530 Roadstar II Series Black (1986) - Got this exactly 30 years ago when I was into Jake E. Lee, George Lynch, Warren De Martini, etc. I still love the guitar. I've been playing it a lot lately. It rips like no other. Great for shred.

PRS Custom 24 Emerald (1992) - I've played this guitar for many years and it's been out on the road with me. It's definitely my most valuable guitar, but I have a love-hate relationship with it. Ultimately it's just not my style. I've thought about selling/trading it many times, but for some reason it keeps coming back as my main axe.

Ibanez Pro-540R Radius (1987) - 29 years old. Also during my 80s metal days. It's the original Radius model that eventually became the official Joe Satriani model. I put EMG pickups in it back in the 80s cuz I hated the original Ibanez humbuckers/single coils. Another very loud shredder guitar and very light. I played it for decades, more than any of my other guitars, but these days it kinda feels like a toy to me.

Fender American Special Stratocaster HSS (2010) - My most recent guitar. Had to get an "adult" guitar but I also wanted a bit of metal so I went with Humbucker- Single-Single, just like Dave Murray of Iron Maiden. The American Special is the slightly "affordable" American-made Strat model (as opposed to the Mexico Fender factory) with Texas Special pickups (most purists like the standard Fender pickups). I enjoy playing it but I still feel like it's just lately that we've become acquainted after some fits and starts.

d1TIhnY.jpg

I also have an Ibanez Artist mid-80s but it's in poor shape and in dire need of a master luthier. After decades of playing guitar I have one single advice - NEVER get rid of your gear. I look back on all the shit I used to have and sometimes want to cry when I remember that I sold a vintage Tube Screamer or Rat pedal. Or when I lent that vintage Roland Dr. Rhythm machine to a friend who never returned it or when I left that Alesis compressor at a studio when I was too drunk. Even the crappiest gear one day becomes vintage so hang on to it.

Scottify

That is a great, great collection you have there. Being both an Ibanez & PRS fanboy I am quite jealous of those guitars. I'd say my favorite is your Ibanez Radius. The JS models are my favorites and I dig how you essentially have their prototypes.

What kind of rig do you play through? Looks like possibly a Fender and maybe a Peavey or Ampeg in the background? I definitely see a Boss (chorus?) pedal there too.

That is a great, great collection you have there. Being both an Ibanez & PRS fanboy I am quite jealous of those guitars. I'd say my favorite is your Ibanez Radius. The JS models are my favorites and I dig how you essentially have their prototypes.

What kind of rig do you play through? Looks like possibly a Fender and maybe a Peavey or Ampeg in the background? I definitely see a Boss (chorus?) pedal there too.

Thank you! Yeah I love Ibanez. I find them very versatile and fun to play, especially if you have some metal vocabulary in your playing.

I play through a Fender Super Reverb as my main. I also have a Fender Twin but I rarely use it except when I want to do a stereo effect with the two amps. I go through an old Alesis Quadraverb. I also just use 3 pedals mainly - Boss Chorus (CE-3), Boss Super Distortion & Feedbacker (DF-2), and Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS9DX, reissue one). I used to have a Roland Jazz Chorus amp too with an amazing chorus effect. Can't remember if I sold it or what.

Syncytia

So I've officially been convinced to get a Kemper instead of an Axe FX. I really like the Kemper footswitch plus profiling amps seems like a lot of fun to me. I should really sell my amps to fund the Kemper but then I need them to make profiles :(

NEO0MJ

Well, I bought myself an amp. Originally I was going to buy a Tiny Terror and a cabinet but it was just too expensive for me so I instead went for the Crush 20!

Considering it only cost me about $165 this thing sounds amazing, especially on clean. No regrets about it at all. Plus it looks really nice and unique and can be carried with ease.

Forgot to attach the tremolo before taking that photo but whatever :p

Not been here for a while. Some seriously nice stuff on show. I'll have to post my stuff soon.

That said I'm looking to get a new guitar. Probably will be my last for a while as I'm planning on moving home and taking on a mortgage!
So I want something that's pretty (yes I'm shallow) and is either a SSS or HSS. Max price £1000. So far the two that have caught my eye are -
Ibanez SA960QM-BTB £849

Or for a tad more the Fender FSR Richie Kotzen Strat for £1045

No idea who Richie Kotzen is but it looks nice and has SSS. I can't afford an American Standard and I already have an American Special. But both of these look tasty. Could possibly find the Ibanez in a store to try but unlikely to find the FSR as it was a short run.
I think it'll be one of these!

blackjaw

Well, I bought myself an amp. Originally I was going to buy a Tiny Terror and a cabinet but it was just too expensive for me so I instead went for the Crush 20!

Considering it only cost me about $165 this thing sounds amazing, especially on clean. No regrets about it at all. Plus it looks really nice and unique and can be carried with ease.

Forgot to attach the tremolo before taking that photo but whatever :p

I have a 35RT, amazing amp, you have no reason to upgrade now

What're the neck profiles compared to your preference? The Fender is apparently thick and while I can't find anything about the Ibanez I would assume it's going to be thin. If you have strong preferences you may wish to let that carry your decision.

The Fender is Japanese, I think, so should be of excellent quality.
I have both Ibanez and Fenders already and am used to the neck profiles. That said I prefer the Fender C type neck although I believe this FSR model is a slightly thicker C type.
It's also the case that the Fender will be harder to get and I'd prefer the red one to the blonde.

I particularly like the RG and SA Ibanez's. Nice finish to them too.

Along with my thinking of getting an Ibanez SA960QM or a Fender Richie Kotzen Strat I've just seen a Fender FSR Aerodyne Strat. Made in Japan for the Japanese market primarily I really like the look of them as I have a thing for guitars with carved tops. It makes a Strat look really contemporary. (Really hard to find a good pic of one).

I think this is the one I want.

Caderfix

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I got new pick ups, SD Black Winters, and holy shit they're awesome. Extremely versatile, even though the name and logo suggest otherwise. I can play anything from Black Metal all the way to Blues, and it sounds super warm. I'm really impressed.

Best pick ups I've ever heard.

Just wanted to share that. If you're looking for GREAT pups, give the Black Winters a go.

Scottify

r0bit: I love the quilt on that bass. What kind is it? I don't recognize that headstock

Caderfix: Thanks for that info on the Black Winter pickups. I was interested but was concerned that they'd be too limited in tonal range. I'll have to give them more serious consideration. Do you have a full set or just a neck or bridge?

Caderfix

Caderfix: Thanks for that info on the Black Winter pickups. I was interested but was concerned that they'd be too limited in tonal range. I'll have to give them more serious consideration. Do you have a full set or just a neck or bridge?

No problem!

Full set. The range of tones you can get is impressive, it's very tight sounding and you can hear every note ringing. It cleans up very well with the volume knob without sounding "thin", even when it's almost at 0, so you can go from ridiculous distortion all the way to slightly driven sounds.

If you'd like to check just one for any reason, I'd suggest the neck pickup, as it is ridiculous, the best part of a very good set.

It makes a Strat look really contemporary. (Really hard to find a good pic of one).

Huzzah, leave all the vintage-y ones for me.

If you'd like to check just one for any reason, I'd suggest the neck pickup, as it is ridiculous, the best part of a very good set.

SD's page suggests they have a ton of output; if you stick one in the neck position without a pickup in the bridge with comparable output then it might not be ideal (or might be fine if the preamp doesn't have a lot of headroom).

NEO0MJ

I have a 35RT, amazing amp, you have no reason to upgrade now

Yeah, it's really nice.
Buuut, I did pick up a pedal.

It was just so cheap I couldn't resist it, and I feel it's great value. But that's it, though. Anything else would be pushing it too far and wasteful of me.

5TcPkiE.jpg

Just finished tracking some tunes with all these guys and figured it was a good opportunity for a group shot.

Ahhh, too many strings! Get it away from me >.<

That looks really beautiful.

Caderfix

SD's page suggests they have a ton of output; if you stick one in the neck position without a pickup in the bridge with comparable output then it might not be ideal (or might be fine if the preamp doesn't have a lot of headroom).

It's not as absurd as you'd think, I believe it'd work with any mid-high output pickup.

EDIT:

For anyone interested in seeing how the neck pick up sounds without loads of distortion, this is a very helpful video (Yes, I know youtube audio sucks, but you'll get the picture):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=mZSTrs6H3VU

Caderfix

I'll stay away from home for more than a year, and I can't take my amp, so I'll buy a new one in the hosting country. I'm looking for an amp that is small, with headphones input that sound good.

Currently I'm considering a Micro Dark, but I don't have any around here to test. So I'm open to suggestions. Does anyone have any recommendation?

NEO0MJ

I'll stay away from home for more than a year, and I can't take my amp, so I'll buy a new one in the hosting country. I'm looking for an amp that is small, with headphones input that sound good.

Currently I'm considering a Micro Dark, but I don't have any around here to test. So I'm open to suggestions. Does anyone have any recommendation?

I thought you can't directly just connect a headphone to an amp head, unless there's a micro dark combo like with the Tiny Terror?

I mentioned the Orange Crush 20 above. It's not too big, pretty light, and sounds really clean. It has both a headphone plug and an AUX plug as well. There's also other variations of the Crush series if you want something larger or smaller.

rObit

Banned
r0bit: I love the quilt on that bass. What kind is it? I don't recognize that headstock

Thanks! It's a Peavey Millennium BXP. Very cheap but great quality in my opinion. I'm not a great bass player and by no means an expert on the instrument but the hardware is all pretty high quality and great tone. It's a great guitar player's bass, if that makes sense.

Ahhh, too many strings! Get it away from me >.<

Bah! Variety is the spice of life! There's 4, 6, 7, and 8 strings there, plenty of fun for everyone!

I particularly like the RG and SA Ibanez's. Nice finish to them too.

Along with my thinking of getting an Ibanez SA960QM or a Fender Richie Kotzen Strat I've just seen a Fender FSR Aerodyne Strat. Made in Japan for the Japanese market primarily I really like the look of them as I have a thing for guitars with carved tops. It makes a Strat look really contemporary. (Really hard to find a good pic of one).

Thanks, and wow, that looks fantastic with the carve. Love it.

Caderfix

I thought you can't directly just connect a headphone to an amp head, unless there's a micro dark combo like with the Tiny Terror?

I mentioned the Orange Crush 20 above. It's not too big, pretty light, and sounds really clean. It has both a headphone plug and an AUX plug as well. There's also other variations of the Crush series if you want something larger or smaller.

The micro dark head has a headphone out. It's the reason why I want it over the micro terror.

I'm a big fan of the Blackstar Fly-3. A little 3-watter that can be powered by cable or batteries.

https://www.blackstaramps.com/products/fly-3

Yep I'm traveling for work and have one right on the table of my hotel suite, batteries last so long!

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll give both the Blackstar Fly 3 and Orange Crush a go :)

blackjaw

The micro dark head has a headphone out. It's the reason why I want it over the micro terror.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll give both the Blackstar Fly 3 and Orange Crush a go :)

Can't go wrong with either. My 'main' amp for bedroom playing is an Orange Crush 35RT. Travel amp is that little Blackstar Fly 3. And when I can get loud I have an AC15 in the garage.

I looked into the micro and micro dark and both headphone outs sound like butt. Highly recommend crush series if you like the orange sound but want an actual GOOD headphone simulator...I use headphones with my 35RT often when the kids are sleeping and it's fantastic.

NEO0MJ

So, do any of you guys have any tips for playing Rocksmith? I feel it's impossible to keep up with the screen and the neck at the same time with some tracks.

So, do any of you guys have any tips for playing Rocksmith? I feel it's impossible to keep up with the screen and the neck at the same time with some tracks.

Make it go slow and/or with fewer notes? I find with songs in different idioms than I am used to I need more notes for context of how I want to move my hands through a song, but people with less baggage or more diverse experience may not have that problem.

Eventually you'll need to look at the neck less. Periodically playing in the dark is illuminating as to how much you actually need to look at the neck versus how much you do.

NEO0MJ

I guess it's a good thing to learn to play without staring at the neck all the time. But I'm practicing Tornado of Souls and eventually I become this kid but with a guitar, and I've only just reached 20%!

mashdat.gif

I have a friend who's pretty good with the guitar (especially compared to me) but he found Rocksmith challenging because he always looks at the neck while playing.

I didn't want a new guitar. I didn't need a new guitar. I certainly didn't need another Strat. But craigslist is my siren song. I saw an ad for a $100 Squier. Nice-looking guitar, but I don't... Wait, is that a Seymour Duncan Little 59? And are those Planet Waves locking tuners? I do want those! All in a 1994 Korean Squier? Sigh.

It was originally a bright white, but it's aged to a nice cream color. The owner also upgraded the pickguard. The output on the middle pickup is too low, and it's not connected to the tone knob. I'll upgrade the electronics. There's a couple of dings (which I don't care about) and two finish cracks on the side of the neck pocket. Either the guitar fell on its neck at one point, or it's because the guitar was strung with the heaviest-gauge flatwound strings I've ever seen. Neck seems tight and straight with 9-42. I like the locking tuners. Why can't I ever find these fantastic deals in a Telecaster?

Syncytia

So I've officially been convinced to get a Kemper instead of an Axe FX. I really like the Kemper footswitch plus profiling amps seems like a lot of fun to me. I should really sell my amps to fund the Kemper but then I need them to make profiles :(

So just kidding I just got an Axe FX II. It's amazing. I've barely messed with it and I love it. Can't wait to turn it to blast it tomorrow, also need to try it out through my speaker cabs. My only option for poweramps though are my tube amps.

Xun

I didn't want a new guitar. I didn't need a new guitar. I certainly didn't need another Strat. But craigslist is my siren song. I saw an ad for a $100 Squier. Nice-looking guitar, but I don't... Wait, is that a Seymour Duncan Little 59? And are those Planet Waves locking tuners? I do want those! All in a 1994 Korean Squier? Sigh.

It was originally a bright white, but it's aged to a nice cream color. The owner also upgraded the pickguard. The output on the middle pickup is too low, and it's not connected to the tone knob. I'll upgrade the electronics. There's a couple of dings (which I don't care about) and two finish cracks on the side of the neck pocket. Either the guitar fell on its neck at one point, or it's because the guitar was strung with the heaviest-gauge flatwound strings I've ever seen. Neck seems tight and straight with 9-42. I like the locking tuners. Why can't I ever find these fantastic deals in a Telecaster?
Congrats! It looks beautiful.

I've always wanted a Tele in that finish.

5TcPkiE.jpg

Just finished tracking some tunes with all these guys and figured it was a good opportunity for a group shot.

I like that guitar on the far left, what brand is that?

I am looking for a 7 string myself, with a 26.5 inch scale. I am leaning towards an Ibanez RGD Uppercut. I was almost set on a EB Music Man Majesty 7 string but I think i need a longer scale for the lower tunings.

Scottify

Looks like an Agile to me, they're sold by Rondo Music. I've seen a lot of good things about them on sevenstring.org a forum mostly for seven string guitars.

This is a 27" scale 7-string Agile: http://www.rondomusic.com/product8580.html

Have you checked out the Iron Label Ibanez guitars? They're supposed to be built with lower tunings in mind.

Syncytia

I am looking for a 7 string myself, with a 26.5 inch scale. I am leaning towards an Ibanez RGD Uppercut. I was almost set on a EB Music Man Majesty 7 string but I think i need a longer scale for the lower tunings.

Yep, it's an Agile as Frackh said. I have an Interceptor Pro 727. It's a 27 inch scale. Plays great. They play really nice, especially for the price if you get one on sale or clearance.

But if you're looking at the RGD or Majesty you're clearly looking to get a much nicer guitar. Check out the Jackson Juggernaut Misha Sig, Hufschmid, Blackmachine (not made anymore you'll have to wait for a used one to pop up)..., Caparison maybe.

Edit: Also Kiesel.

Looks like an Agile to me, they're sold by Rondo Music. I've seen a lot of good things about them on sevenstring.org a forum mostly for seven string guitars.

This is a 27" scale 7-string Agile: http://www.rondomusic.com/product8580.html

Have you checked out the Iron Label Ibanez guitars? They're supposed to be built with lower tunings in mind.

Thanks for the info. I never heard of Agiles before. I will look into them. Yeah I have looked into the iron label--I am going to go Iron Label or Premium for an 8 string....not sure if I can adjust so well with 8 strings yet so the nice affordable pricing of these models makes me more tempted to jump in without too much investment :) I'm leaning towards the RGIF multi scale 8

Yep, it's an Agile as Frackh said. I have an Interceptor Pro 727. It's a 27 inch scale. Plays great. They play really nice, especially for the price if you get one on sale or clearance.

But if you're looking at the RGD or Majesty you're clearly looking to get a much nicer guitar. Check out the Jackson Juggernaut Misha Sig, Hufschmid, Blackmachine (not made anymore you'll have to wait for a used one to pop up)..., Caparison maybe.

Edit: Also Kiesel.

I dig the way that Agile looks.....good to know they don't get too pricey, that's always a plus :) I tried the Jackson Misha Sig....it sounds and feels good to me, it's on the maybe pile (also tried the Jake Bowden Ibanez sig...holy fuck that guitar was heavy on the back).

I tried a Kiesel Vader a few weeks ago, I wasn't liking the tone I was getting out of it. I wasn't very balanced tone wise.

sgjackson

just watched a youtube video about how to sound like oasis out of boredom (don't even like oasis that much), but it ended up sticking in my brain because i'm really enamored with the sound they got out of semihollows into an ac15. grain of salt because of youtube quality, obviously, but i'm wondering why i like that more than, say, a les paul into a marshall for that sort of british amp classic rock tone. i think i'm going to end up trying combinations of the above four things at a guitar store at some point to see if i can put my finger on it.

i always feel weird making posts like this here because it's not a general guitar discussion thread, but we also don't really have one?

rObit

Banned
Thanks Frackh and Syncytia for covering for me there, haven't been online in a couple days. Yeah, it's an Agile Septor 827. I like it a lot!

I agree with most of what has already been said on the various 7 string brands, but I'd also like to suggest looking at Ormsby. Haven't played one myself but everything I've heard online has been super positive.

If Misha's sig is in your price range, then you might want to check out Mayones, too. A Mayones Regius is the "someday" guitar for me.

just watched a youtube video about how to sound like oasis out of boredom (don't even like oasis that much), but it ended up sticking in my brain because i'm really enamored with the sound they got out of semihollows into an ac15. grain of salt because of youtube quality, obviously, but i'm wondering why i like that more than, say, a les paul into a marshall for that sort of british amp classic rock tone. i think i'm going to end up trying combinations of the above four things at a guitar store at some point to see if i can put my finger on it.

i always feel weird making posts like this here because it's not a general guitar discussion thread, but we also don't really have one?

Interesting video, but it basically sounds like most humbuckers through high gain distortion. It's basically your no-nonsense distortion-only AC/DC hard rock setting (Malcolm Young uses a semi-hollow Gibson). The hollow body may add a hint of acoustic warmth, but it's faint.

NEO0MJ

So after I spend all that money on upgrading my current guitar they bring a new lefty Jackson at a moderate price. Oh well, maybe in the future I'll be an owner of another guitar ¯_(&#12484;)_/¯

sgjackson

Interesting video, but it basically sounds like most humbuckers through high gain distortion. It's basically your no-nonsense distortion-only AC/DC hard rock setting (Malcolm Young uses a semi-hollow Gibson). The hollow body may add a hint of acoustic warmth, but it's faint.

my sonic tastes definitely skew towards warm (recently went acoustic shopping and found taylors to be nearly nails on chalkboard but martins were a lot closer to what i liked) so this wouldn't surprise me. i'm inclined to attribute it to shit speakers + youtube video + midnight lark but it's still an excuse to make an effort to try stuff at a guitar store anyway so i'll probably report back in in a few weeks.

Thanks Frackh and Syncytia for covering for me there, haven't been online in a couple days. Yeah, it's an Agile Septor 827. I like it a lot!

I agree with most of what has already been said on the various 7 string brands, but I'd also like to suggest looking at Ormsby. Haven't played one myself but everything I've heard online has been super positive.

If Misha's sig is in your price range, then you might want to check out Mayones, too. A Mayones Regius is the "someday" guitar for me.

I tried a Regius actually. It sounds phenomenal, but the i found the body a little too uncomfortable for my right forearm. I wish it was contoured more.

Im looking at google images of the Ormsby....those looks pretty damn nice! :)

If you wanted a standard 25.5 inch scale 7 string I'd say I'd sell you mine, lol.

I have an Ibanez rg 7 string that I never really play anymore and I've been thinking about selling it. Though I'm sure I could only get like $200 for it.

Caderfix

So, I tested the fly 3 and it was sweet, but I couldn't resist the micro dark, as it is GREAT.

I got the Micro Dark along with a matching cab and a Charvel DC1st:
szeYPEv

I can't recomend those enough. Great looks and sounds :)

If you wanted a standard 25.5 inch scale 7 string I'd say I'd sell you mine, lol.

I have an Ibanez rg 7 string that I never really play anymore and I've been thinking about selling it. Though I'm sure I could only get like $200 for it.

thanks man, but I need that extra inch :)

blackjaw

Love that Tele.

What is on your pedal board? I recognize the PolyTune mini but not the others.

Thanks, I love it too! Fender Classic 60s.

Right to left:
TC Polytune mini
Montreal Assembly Count to Five
Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dark Star

Thanks, I love it too! Fender Classic 60s.

Right to left:
TC Polytune mini
Montreal Assembly Count to Five
Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dark Star

Man, I'm so out of the loop on effects pedals these days - I'm totally clueless with these names. The last one I bought was a RAT distortion (which I lost) and the rest of my gear are old Boss and Ibanez stomp boxes.

Top Bottom