• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

NEO0MJ

Well shit. I over-tightened a string and now can't decide if I should replace them or not. They'er kinda but if I am going to replace the pups I feel it would be a waste to use them now. as Always it's the low E string. I blame Rocksmith for telling me it's still not tight enough, even though I was sure it was pushed to its limit. Song was "The Thrill is Gone".

blackjaw

Well shit. I over-tightened a string and now can't decide if I should replace them or not. They'er kinda but if I am going to replace the pups I feel it would be a waste to use them now. as Always it's the low E string. I blame Rocksmith for telling me it's still not tight enough, even though I was sure it was pushed to its limit. Song was "The Thrill is Gone".

It should be fine. Just return it to normal tuning.

Are the strings new or is it time to replace them? Playing with old strings is dull and can be tone sucking and uninspiring.

I've used the plain Ernie Ball 10s (sometimes 11s) for almost 20 years now, change them every few weeks or at least once a month if they are done. Buy in bulk and you get them very cheap.

NEO0MJ

It should be fine. Just return it to normal tuning.

I should have mentioned that the string snapped and can't reconnect it to the tuner. hey were already old but I was hoping to keep them until I switch. I used to replace strings every three months. Should I be doing that monthly? I thought that was overkill?

Syncytia

Mmmmm look what arrived in the mail. It's gonna take me a week just to figure out how everything works on this guy.

Nice, my invitation just came up last week. I totally had the funds...until the day before. And they don't take paypal which was the only option I then had. Ugh. Oh well, made me decide to just go for a used Axe FX II in the near future. Then I can get a sexy Liquid Foot midi pedal someday.

I'm so ready to just get rid of all my amps and have one unit. 6 amps and 4 speaker cabs is just too much and every time I look at it all it sort of disgusts me.

blackjaw

I should have mentioned that the string snapped and can't reconnect it to the tuner. hey were already old but I was hoping to keep them until I switch. I used to replace strings every three months. Should I be doing that monthly? I thought that was overkill?

Well since it snapped replace it! It's not good for the neck to be missing tension for too long (although a luthier will fix and adjust the neck for you later) it's still not good for the long term. Also work on "hearing" tuning so you don't over wind it...if it sounds wrong it is and all it takes is a quick check with the other strings to verify if the tuner is leading you astray.

Changing strings depends on how often you play. Some things to look for: strings don't stay in tune, strings looks dull or have rust/visible wear, strings sound dead, etc. Can also be a personal preference. Back in the day it was new strings every practice/gig. Even if I have a month where I only play a few times a week I'll likely swap the strings around a month just because I like the feel and sound of new strings and it's a pretty cheap thing to do.

I should have mentioned that the string snapped and can't reconnect it to the tuner.

The Thrill is Gone is in standard tuning; Rocksmith tuner is accurate enough in my experience that it wouldn't have asked you to over tighten.

Change them when they start to feel old.

Nice, my invitation just came up last week. I totally had the funds...until the day before. And they don't take paypal which was the only option I then had. Ugh. Oh well, made me decide to just go for a used Axe FX II in the near future. Then I can get a sexy Liquid Foot midi pedal someday.

I'm so ready to just get rid of all my amps and have one unit. 6 amps and 4 speaker cabs is just too much and every time I look at it all it sort of disgusts me.

I bought a new Axe FX II XL+ in March. Expensive as fuck but the amount of shit you can do with it - good god. I havent even scratched the surface on the thing, wish I had more time to play with my busy work schedule.

NEO0MJ

Guess I'll replace them, then. I knew it was bad to leave a guitar without strings but I didn't know even one missing can be considered a problem.

blackjaw

Guess I'll replace them, then. I knew it was bad to leave a guitar without strings but I didn't know even one missing can be considered a problem.

I'm no luthier so I don't know any equations for string tension, truss rod tension, etc. it's not going to warp the neck over night or the course of a week or maybe a month but long term it's going to need a good setup.

Plus the biggest thing is it leaves your guitar practically unplayable which is a crime itself! ;)

Strings are like $4.99 for a set, just scrounge some up pennies and make it happen!

Scottify

Also, fwiw, juststrings.com sells single strings as well. so if you seem to be breaking a single type of string more often than others you can buy extras of that string rather than having to buy multiple packs of strings.

NEO0MJ

Strings are like $4.99 for a set, just scrounge some up pennies and make it happen!

They're no cheaper than $12 where I live ( ._.)

Also, fwiw, juststrings.com sells single strings as well. so if you seem to be breaking a single type of string more often than others you can buy extras of that string rather than having to buy multiple packs of strings.

I can look into this. I imagine international shipping might make it expensive, though.

I generally order in bulk from juststrings.com — including single strings for my 12-string because nobody sells packs with a unison third. The more you buy the less the international shipping stings.
I'm a consumer whore.

I'm no luthier so I don't know any equations for string tension, truss rod tension, etc. it's not going to warp the neck over night or the course of a week or maybe a month but long term it's going to need a good setup.

In general the strings will pull the neck into position again given sufficient time— but it is best to store guitars strung and close to pitch.

blackjaw

I generally order in bulk from juststrings.com — including single strings for my 12-string because nobody sells packs with a unison third. The more you buy the less the international shipping stings.
I'm a consumer whore.

In general the strings will pull the neck into position again given sufficient time— but it is best to store guitars strung and close to pitch.

Yep I bought a mid 90s strat at a yard sale once that had only the two highest strings on it (for God knows how long) and a quick set up and some re-wiring and it played fantastic; guitar necks are resilient...regret flipping it, it had some character

NEO0MJ

Speaking of guitar necks, why are tuners so expensive? I was originally set on replacing them but it costs $150 for a full set o_O
Like, if I drop $50 more I can get an entirely new official Fender neck for my guitar. Unless the neck doesn't include tuners. I didn't check that out at the time.

blackjaw

Gotoh locking tuners are around $50-$60, cheaper for vintage

Not sure what international shipping is but I use stewmac for my guitar hardware needs

NEO0MJ

Gotoh locking tuners are around $50-$60, cheaper for vintage

Not sure what international shipping is but I use stewmac for my guitar hardware needs

Oh wait, I was confused on guitar fetish. I thought the price was per piece, lol. I think I'll stick with them for now, much cheaper and can come with the Tremolo at the same time, saving me money on shipping.
Gotoh's stuff does look pretty classy, though. Does it matter with tuners if you use a right or left handed guitar?

Syncytia

I bought a new Axe FX II XL+ in March. Expensive as fuck but the amount of shit you can do with it - good god. I havent even scratched the surface on the thing, wish I had more time to play with my busy work schedule.

I'd love to get an XL+ but I just can't really justify it anymore since I recently decided to go back to school. I think I'll survive with a regular II lol.

Speaking of guitar necks, why are tuners so expensive? I was originally set on replacing them but it costs $150 for a full set o_O
Like, if I drop $50 more I can get an entirely new official Fender neck for my guitar. Unless the neck doesn't include tuners. I didn't check that out at the time.

Sorry, only recently discovered this thread, kinda browsed the last couple pages....

What guitar do you have and why are you wanting to replace so many parts? At some point it isn't worth it unless you are 100% attached to the guitar. I've spent plenty of money on upgrades to my Schecter C1 Classic but it's been my main guitar for 10+ years and it will continue to be for... a long time.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
New toy. Loud as all hell.
337d26-1466618999.jpg

Did not have the time to play around with it to much. But implementation into my Gigrig G2 powered pedalboard went super easy. Love the midi integration on this amp.

NEO0MJ

^Why do you have a photo of Jack Black on the wall? lol.

Sorry, only recently discovered this thread, kinda browsed the last couple pages....

What guitar do you have and why are you wanting to replace so many parts? At some point it isn't worth it unless you are 100% attached to the guitar. I've spent plenty of money on upgrades to my Schecter C1 Classic but it's been my main guitar for 10+ years and it will continue to be for... a long time.

I use a left handed guitar. They're pretty rare where I live. Other than my current Squire the only ones I saw were a cheap guitar by a no name brand and a $3k Ibanez that was way out of my budget. Ordering online isn't an option due to the expense of shipping a guitar plus the risk of shipping damage or quality control issues make me hesitant to do so. Replacing parts makes more economical sense in my case.

Gotoh's stuff does look pretty classy, though. Does it matter with tuners if you use a right or left handed guitar?

Gotoh's stuff is mostly great. Only product of theirs I don't like are the open-gear tuners on my 12-string.

As for left-handed tuners, yes they exist. Presumably you could use righty 6-in-a-line tuners, but the existing screw holes wouldn't line up.

Gotoh SD91-05M-N-L on eBay

What's wrong with your tuners, anyway?

blackjaw

I agree with dude above (Syn). I mean with new pups, a set up/strings and new tuners you are talking probably like $200-$300 or more...why not put that in the bank and save up for something you really want? Probably 1/2 or 1/3 of a ways toward a decent guitar.

Trying to upgrade something you don't like to something you do is a futile task and it's all a sunk cost since you won't be able to recover most of that back if you sell the guitar.

Your money and guitar though ;)

NEO0MJ

What's wrong with your tuners, anyway?

Sometimes I feel they don't hold well when turning. Like, I turn them a few times and they pull themselves back a bit before holding their position.
Also it seems like it's a recommended thing to do to improve a guitar.

I agree with dude above. I mean with new pups, a set up/strings and new tuners you are talking probably like $200-$300 or more...why not put that in the bank and save up for something you really want? Probably 1/2 or 1/3 of a ways toward a decent guitar.

Trying to upgrade something you don't like to something you do is a futile task and it's all a sunk cost since you won't be able to recover most of that back if you sell the guitar.

Your money and guitar though ;)

Like i mentioned above, I would if I could. It's just that there's nothing available for poor old left handed me :(
Kinda wish I taught myself to play like a righty but I feel it's too late for that now. When I hold my friends guitar I feel so confused.

Edit: Aaaand strings replaced!

Sometimes I feel they don't hold well when turning. Like, I turn them a few times and they pull themselves back a bit before holding their position.

Could be. Do you string it correctly? Are there pinging sounds when you tune?

Also it seems like it's a recommended thing to do to improve a guitar.

Swap things that aren't working properly or meeting your needs— e.g. swap your pickups if you can identify what you don't like; add a locking nut if you're hitting the vibrato bar; change the tone pot and cap if the tone control isn't useful.

When I hold my friends guitar I feel so confused.

As an aside to the broader discussion about upgrading or not, that might improve with time.

NEO0MJ

Could be. Do you string it correctly? Are there pinging sounds when you tune?

That's pretty much how I string.

As an aside to the broader discussion about upgrading or not, that might improve with time.

I'm afraid trying to adapt to right hand playing would be too much for me. I just feel so comfortable holding it with my left. I guess I could ask a friend to lend me their guitar to see if I can adapt or not.

rObit

Banned

Yeah, may be a blessing in disguise, that sounds like a great setup. I would go for an Axe FX II if I had the extra grand or so. I'm really enjoying the AX8 though. I've never really used pedals much (other than a cheap delay) and it's nice to be able to have so much control while playing. Also been using it to record silently since I live in an apartment.

As for wanting to condense your gear, I kind of feel the same way about my guitars. I have way too many guitars and I look at them and think that I should just sell 5 or 6 of them and buy a Mayones or something.

A setup and a change of strings does wonders for a guitar. Long and McQuade did a setup on my guitar for free as part of a promotion of theirs... legitimately, plays 20 times better. Dunno what wizardry they did.

So this got me to finally pull the trigger and have my local shop do a setup on my Ibanez. It has a ZR trem so it ended up costing $80 but boy it sure plays nicely now, plus he cleaned up the fretboard and everything, and basically made it just like new. I've had the guitar for a long time and had been playing it less and less due to the playability going downhill (I had screwed around with alternate tunings and couldn't figure out how to get the action and string tension where I needed it), so even thought it was pretty expensive I feel like it was worth it.

Syncytia

Yeah, may be a blessing in disguise, that sounds like a great setup. I would go for an Axe FX II if I had the extra grand or so. I'm really enjoying the AX8 though. I've never really used pedals much (other than a cheap delay) and it's nice to be able to have so much control while playing. Also been using it to record silently since I live in an apartment.

As for wanting to condense your gear, I kind of feel the same way about my guitars. I have way too many guitars and I look at them and think that I should just sell 5 or 6 of them and buy a Mayones or something.

I use a lot of effects so I'm looking forward to that with an Axe FX, not that my M13 really leaves me wanting of anything currently but I can't wait to try some of the crazy stuff in the Axe FX. I'm like the exact opposite with guitars and just getting over some gas wanting to get more. Two electrics, classical and acoustic and I'm good. I almost feel like I only have my acoustic just to have an acoustic.

blackjaw

I rotate pedals fairly often but here's what I've been playing with recently. Ambient fun.

TC Polytune 2 mini, EQD Disaster Transport, OBNE Darkstar, Montreal Assembly Count to Five

dfLJ8C3.jpg

NEO0MJ

So after thinking it over, researching it, and Asking Tim Mills himself I decided to go with the Trilogy Suite pups. All it took to pick what I felt was right for me was two weeks :p
On the plus side because of what's happening in the UK I ended up saving almost $25 during that time. Still, it feels kinda bad that I benefited from someone else's misery.
Also bought the tremlo bridge, though I think I'll wait on buying machine heads.

So after thinking it over, researching it, and Asking Tim Mills himself I decided to go with the Trilogy Suite pups.

Holy crap those are overwound compared to the ones in my Strat (5.9k&#937; n/m and 6.5k&#937; b). When I think about it they're overwound compared to my favourite humbuckers (7.5-8.5k&#937;).

DC resistance is only a measure of how much wire is wound on, but I can't imagine those have weak magnets.

NEO0MJ

Holy crap those are overwound compared to the ones in my Strat (5.9k&#937; n/m and 6.5k&#937; b). When I think about it they're overwound compared to my favourite humbuckers (7.5-8.5k&#937;).

DC resistance is only a measure of how much wire is wound on, but I can't imagine those have weak magnets.

Yeah, their output is really high and use Alnico V magnets. Maybe my friend wasn't right about everything he said but he still made me rethink if these were the ones for me and that's why I held on this decision for so long. However, despite the high output they're clear sounding and still have that strat voice so I decided to go for it. It's not like they're Sinners. Now those are real monsters.

Scottify

So I thought I'd share my recent guitar fail. It's so absurd that I have to.

I just finished installing some new string saver saddles and a new nut to replace the crappy plastic nut. I then restrung it to go through all the usual checks, neck relief, string height, intonation, etc...

Anyway, for some reason the A string was not sitting in the nut, it was on top because I thought I bought too think of strings for the new nut (.10-.46 set) and said screw it, I'll just continue on anyway. As I was fighting string height I gave a close look and thought 'why does the A string look thicker than the low E?' Well, as you can probably guess, when I restrung it I reversed the A & E strings. After playing guitar for 30+ years I felt like a total doofus for that move.

In the end, I swapped em back (thank goodness I didn't clip them too short) and can finally get through the set up. Quite the fail indeed.

NEO0MJ

Yay, finally got my stuff! I was surprised by the extras Bare Knuckles threw in, pretty nice of them. Can't wait to take it to a guitar shop in the weekend and have them installed. how long could it take for them to put everything together?

27673634594_d76668893b_z.jpg

The other day I realized I did not have a hollow body guitar. I could not let this stand. I was originally hankering for a big jazz box, but I don't like how many of them have restricted access to the upper frets. Also, I sit right in front of my amps, so I didn't want to deal with feedback issues. So, I decided on a semi-hollow body. Research led me towards the Ibanez Artcore series. I've never had an Ibanez, indeed I even associate them with metal. For whatever reason, my local craigslist was suddenly swamped with different models. I ended up with an AS73. When I picked up the guitar, the strings were rusty and the fingerboard was filthy, but a cleanup and restring did wonders. It plays great, and I'm surprised how versatile it is.

Yay, finally got my stuff! I was surprised by the extras Bare Knuckles threw in, pretty nice of them. Can't wait to take it to a guitar shop in the weekend and have them installed. how long could it take for them to put everything together?

Shouldn't take more than a day or two to get it all done and set up. I brought mine in a couple months ago for a full set up and to install new pickups and they had it done the same day.

sankt-Antonio

They should only need two hours max, but honestly, i would acquire a soldering iron, watch a couple of youtube videos and do such things myself.
Not only would you save money but also get to know how everything works and you can set up everything exactly to your liking.

Replacing tuners, if they are a drop in replacements, is like a 10min deal, same with the tremolo.

NEO0MJ

The other day I realized I did not have a hollow body guitar. I could not let this stand.

So shiny.

Shouldn't take more than a day or two to get it all done and set up. I brought mine in a couple months ago for a full set up and to install new pickups and they had it done the same day.

That's good.

They should only need two hours max, but honestly, i would acquire a soldering iron, watch a couple of youtube videos and do such things myself.
Not only would you save money but also get to know how everything works and you can set up everything exactly to your liking.

Replacing tuners, if they are a drop in replacements, is like a 10min deal, same with the tremolo.

Thing is I also want them to a set-up as well. I don't trust myself enough to do this. Might as well have them do everything.

sankt-Antonio

Thing is I also want them to a set-up as well. I don't trust myself enough to do this. Might as well have them do everything.

I understand, at the end all that counts is having fun and enjoying new gear :D.
I never had luck with any guitartech setting up my guitars.

Imo, being able to set up a guitar is an important skill. Especially when tremolo guitars are used.
Want to change strings or play around with different tunings => new setup.
Balancing the playability/no string buzz action of guitars is a highly personal thing.
Setting up a guitar is actually quite simple once you understand what each part of the instrument actually does.

If you are interested watch this guy do his thing, he's amusing and there's a lot to learn: Dave's World of Fun Stuff

NEO0MJ

Took them exactly two hours to set everything up. After I brought it home and plugged it in I have to say...you guys were right about needing a new amp. The old one doesn't cut it. After August I'll look for one.
Guess it's pointless to pick up a pedal now, right?

blackjaw

Took them exactly two hours to set everything up. After I brought it home and plugged it in I have to say...you guys were right about needing a new amp. The old one doesn't cut it. After August I'll look for one.
Guess it's pointless to pick up a pedal now, right?

Nice guitar or nice pedals through crap amp will sound crap. Save for a decent amp if guitar is a hobby you plan on sticking with. Plenty of great amps on the used market.

NEO0MJ

Nice guitar or nice pedals through crap amp will sound crap. Save for a decent amp if guitar is a hobby you plan on sticking with. Plenty of great amps on the used market.

Finding good stuff in the used market where I live is hard, but I'll try. I have two months to save so I'll scout good options. How much do good amps usually cost at MSRP?
I found the Orange Crush PiX CR60C and CR100BXT. There was also the Randall KH 75. Might not even find them when I come back but they're options at the place I visited.

Finding good stuff in the used market where I live is hard, but I'll try. I have two months to save so I'll scout good options. How much do good amps usually cost at MSRP?
I found the Orange Crush PiX CR60C and CR100BXT. There was also the Randall KH 75. Might not even find them when I come back but they're options at the place I visited.

Where do you live?

KSA. Options are rather limited.

Saudi Arabia? I guess I can't recommend Craigslist then. thomann.de is a good European store.

You could upgrade the speaker in your current amp. Celestion, Eminence, Jensen are all good brands. You could turn your current amp into a cab with an upgraded speaker and buy a separate head. Hotone makes some nice 5W mini heads. The Orange Micro Terror is a great 20W head. I love my Yamaha THR-10 10W lunchbox amp. If you're a headphone player, there's any number of pocket amp modelers or pedals you can play through.

Top Bottom