• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have a TronicalTune set for a six-in-line Fender-style. I think they're great. I love being able to jump into Drop-D, Open-G, etc. on the fly and back easily. A lot of players hate on them. I guess if you have perfect pitch and tune by ear, in all possible tunings, it's worthless to you, but otherwise I think people are using some kind of electronic device to tune their guitars and this is just an automatic version of that. I find they work perfectly well, but I also tune in a quiet home setting; I've heard complaints they can get "confused" playing live. The latest version is supposedly better and faster, but a lot of the ones on the secondary-market are dumped from the 2015 Gibsons that so many people hated. It can easily be removed and doesn't alter your headstock at all. If you can get it cheap, it's a nice experiment.
I've got an SG and there's a ton of em removed from the 2015 models flooding eBay.

Telecasters are cool looking guitars. I really like how the Arctic White and Sonic Blues look. Feels nice in my hands as well (was fiddling around at the music shop a few days ago). Not as comfortable as my LP though.

MX15698239-front-large.jpg

0141510372_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

Muffroom Cloud. I want one. Bad. - Gilmourish/Bjorn Riis That has some excellent tone. Just £185! Maybe next month.
Jul15_LNU_ThorpyFX_Muffroom_FEATURE.jpg

Wow, thats a lot. You guys must get shafted when it comes mesa/boogie stuff. In the US, that amp retails for $1399.

Then again, I didn't pay for it. I got lucky because my dad wanted a new amp as well. Originally I was looking at the peavey 6505mh or maybe a panama shaman, which is more affordable., as I could get an amp and cab for under $1000.

Oh we pay for it alright. 20% VAT for a start and yeah, brands like Mesa Boogie are definitely top dollar here. One day I'll get something special. Keeping my eye out on a Victory V30 Countess head and 2x12 Cab. Total comes to around £1400. I can dream...

Muffroom Cloud. I want one. Bad. - Gilmourish/Bjorn Riis That has some excellent tone. Just £185! Maybe next month.
Jul15_LNU_ThorpyFX_Muffroom_FEATURE.jpg

Oh we pay for it alright. 20% VAT for a start and yeah, brands like Mesa Boogie are definitely top dollar here. One day I'll get something special. Keeping my eye out on a Victory V30 Countess head and 2x12 Cab. Total comes to around £1400. I can dream...

I was actually looking at getting the victory vx kraken as my second choice. Only problem is here in the states there's nowhere to try it out before hand.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Just picked me up a shiny new TC Hall Of Fame Pedal. Sounds so fucking nice!!

Here's my pedal collection I've put together over the last few months:

IMG_3997.jpg

The Flashback and the HOF together sounds magical.

I finally found one of the new gibson explorers in a guitar center last weekend and got to spend some time with it. They're always sold by the time I go there. I definitely want one though. Its thinner than my les paul which I like, and its really nice to play. Its quite a bit lighter than I was expecting though given its size. Now I just need to save up money.

Also, I've been thinking about getting a fuzz pedal, but not sure which one yet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well, the deal I had for a Les Paul fell through so I just upgraded the pickups on one of my guitars, sold another and then got a pretty nice deal on a PRS CE-22 in this hilariously awesome color:

2XGQuOp.jpg

TimeInc

man I really want PRS but being left handed they only make one that in some kind of anniversary model and it's like £3,500. Really sucks, they're such great guitars.

Angry Grimace

The older PRS CE models are really good value if you find them at the right place because you can get them for less than $1000. It always makes me laugh how set-neck guitars are priced vs. the bolt-on models because it doesn't *actually* cost less to glue a neck in vs. bolting it in. It's all CNC routed to begin with and they just put glue in the hole and insert it. In fact, that's why the CE was discontinued in the first place: they were always priced lower than the set-neck versions and they weren't making as much profit on them since they didn't actually cost any less to make.

trebbble

I enjoyed this article from the Reverb blog about the economics behind guitar pricing:

https://reverb.com/news/guitaronomics-how-much-does-it-actually-cost-to-build-a-guitar

I found this part particularly interesting:

"We build our own version of an ES-335 and put our Chinese-made version of [boutique brand pickup] in there. If I’m street pricing that guitar for $500, that means I have to sell it to the dealer for $320, so there’s enough profit in it for them. I need to be making it for $150, and certainly under $200, to make it profitable for me,” he says.

“If I put actual USA-made boutique pickups in, they cost almost as much as the guitar itself. Even if they give me those pickups for $100, that brings my cost from $150 to $250, and I have to almost double my price to the dealer,” he explains. “Then the dealer has to sell it for almost $900, just because I added $100 pickups. It’s just the distribution model. That’s why you rarely see guitars with boutique pickups for less than $1,500."

His final word of advice was to upgrade those pickups yourself.

Maybe an Earthquaker Sea Machine? If you don't want to spend much, the EHX Small Clone is a classic.

Second on an EQD sea machine or maybe a Mr Black Doublechorus

No, it was solid wood just very very light. I was surprised at the lack of weight on it.

i generally like eqd pedals but the sea machine seems too cold and bright based on the demos ive seen. have you guys had hands on time with one?

NGD! I always have to be careful when I discover an obscure guitar. This one is a double whammy of being a Squier (which I seem to be collecting) and filling a need for a double-humbucker. This is a Squier S-73, which is a rebadged DeArmond from when Fender bought Guild. It's hanging next to my 1963 Gibson Les Paul, which has too much sentimental (and real) value for me to play all the time. I was nervous just hanging it on the wall for the picture! Mahogany body and set neck, Duncan Designed pickups, has some finish flaws that weren't exactly spelled out by the seller but I don't mind, nicely set up, light, slightly neck heavy, sounds great.

i generally like eqd pedals but the sea machine seems too cold and bright based on the demos ive seen. have you guys had hands on time with one?

following up, thank god sam ash carries eqd pedals--tried the sea machine and wasn't that impressed. can't really dial in those lush chorus tones, feels more like some weird digital chorus/delay hybrid. im a believer that modulation really has to be analog to sound good.

ended up settling on the walrus audio julia

I took a gamble and bought a G&L Fallout Tribute in Sonic Blue sight unseen (well, without holding it in my hands). Let's hope I didn't make a mistake! Something about it spoke to me.

TI-FAL-130R07M13.jpg

So you have 3 guitars now? You're just getting started! That looks nice. Humbucker and P-90? Does the humbucker split? P-90 is a great sound.

So you have 3 guitars now? You're just getting started! That looks nice. Humbucker and P-90? Does the humbucker split? P-90 is a great sound.

There's a push/pull on the tone knob that'll split the humbucker.

And this will be the second one, though third overall. I sold the Squier Affinity Strat to pay for my Epiphone Custom Pro (best decision ever lol). I was holding out for a used Arctic White Telecaster, but no good deals popped up over the last couple months. Went on Reverb, and the Fallout was going for about the same price as a used Tele. I'm hoping to get it by the end of the week.

Love that shape. Very Mustang.

Yeah, it just seemed so odd and neat. I put the idea of getting a Telecaster to the side and decided to take a gamble with this. It's very... Well, it just looks cool.

Oh yeah, I also blind bought a Boss ME-80 Effects Unit.

I don't know why I am doing these things.

Lol. I'll receive the ME-80 and Fallout by the end of the week, hopefully.

So my gear to date:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro Ebony
G&L Tribute Fallout Sonic Blue
Vox VT20+
Boss ME-80

And I only really started learning in earnest like four months ago.

I might have a problem.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh do I just use a standard cable to plug the amp, effects unit, and guitar? So the wore that goes from the guitar into the amp now goes into the effect unit and I have to get another one that plugs the unit into the amp?

Yes. You need another wore. Make sure you tell us about it in November.

(Re: problems-- I doubled my guitar collection, from 4 to 8 in 2005. I seem to have stopped at 11.)

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh do I just use a standard cable to plug the amp, effects unit, and guitar? So the wore that goes from the guitar into the amp now goes into the effect unit and I have to get another one that plugs the unit into the amp?

You can listen to the effects unit through headphones with only the guitar plugged into it. It's actually easier to learn to use it with it up on a desk where you can easily fiddle with the knobs rather than on the floor. The wah/volume pedal can wait.

Scottify

Any Tele owners in here? I'm thinking about picking up something used but have always been unsure of their comfort. If you have one, how do you like? Heavy/ight? comfortable or uncomfortable?

Any Tele owners in here? I'm thinking about picking up something used but have always been unsure of their comfort. If you have one, how do you like? Heavy/ight? comfortable or uncomfortable?

The body is less comfortable than a Strat but it's not like you're wrestling a badger. Bigger issue with comfort is neck shape, size, and radius, which is all personal preference— Teles have been made to many different specs. My Tele has a MIM '52 RI neck that's really thick and really round.

The weight depends on the body wood. In terms of volume it's mostly the same as a Strat since it's the same thickness and approximate size.

I have two Teles. I love them. They are not light guitars, around 8 pounds each, probably, but as with any guitar you can find them lighter, depending on wood or style. Thinlines are semi-hollow. A wide strap will help with the load. The one on the left has a belly-cut, which is much more comfortable, though purists don't like that (nor would they like the Strat neck). I think Teles are the most versatile guitar for a wide range of musical styles and I always recommend them. The Squier Classic Vibe series is great quality.

i've spent a lot of time with the classic series baja telecaster which is excellent; fat, glossy neck that sits very nicely in the hand. has a 4-way selector switch unlike the traditional 3-way too.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Well, the deal I had for a Les Paul fell through so I just upgraded the pickups on one of my guitars, sold another and then got a pretty nice deal on a PRS CE-22 in this hilariously awesome color:

2XGQuOp.jpg
It looks like a cartoon dragon (and needs another tone knob.)

So my gear to date:

Vox VT20+
Boss ME-80

I might have a problem.
The GAS is strong with you...

Angry Grimace

It looks like a cartoon dragon (and needs another tone knob.)

The GAS is strong with you...

The third knob is a weirdo 5-way rotary pickup switch that PRS used to use back in the day. If I were good enough to play this outside of my house I'd probably replace it with a 3-way because its impossible to accurately pick a setting on it mid-song.

Angry Grimace

I thought it would be cute to crank the "clean" channel on my Jet City 22C but goddamn did that sound good.

I doubt my neighbors would appreciate it if I did that all the time though.
KuGsj.gif
They would probably appreciate it less if I still had a multi-speaker set up in my house.

I recently re-read the thread from the beginning (why don't Fusebox and Ducky McGee/Mineshaft Gap post in here anymore? They carried this thread for a long time) and discovered I posted on the very first page, 8 years ago. At that time, I only had one electric guitar. Now I own, well, a lot more than that! I also found this post of mine from 2011:

I love pink guitars! I even want one of those Hello Kitty Strats.

Guess what? Here's my Hello Kitty ensemble. Hello Kitty Squier Strat, official Fender strap and pink VOX DA-5 amp. The pickup is a Seymour Duncan P-Rails, with a 3-way switch and a lone volume control (push pull for parallel humbucker). I love the amp, and it's solidified my desire for a VOX AV30 tube amp, someday.

So my gear to date:

Vox VT20+
Boss ME-80

I might have a problem.
Yes you have a problem. Isn't it great!?
I have the ME80. Take some time setting up your user settings and getting used to the effects. You can get some really nice and cool effects if you spend some time with it. The pre-set effects are nearly all crap, though.

My Fallout and ME-80 finally came! I might take nicer pics later, but here's a pic of my gear:

I haven't had a chance to try out the ME-80, cause I had to get an adaptor for it from L+M, but I fiddled with the Fallout a bit. Perfectly set up! Plays and feels so beautiful and silky. Sounds amazing clean.

blackjaw

Teles are all I play these days. Just put my fender classic 60s tele down actually. Mine is like 7.2 lbs...pretty light. I find them extremely comfortable to play and like the traditional body. I know a lot of the newer fender American standards have cut away like Strats for beer bellies...I don't really like that, but some people want it.

Scottify

I checked out that Sasori video, that's a really cool sounding fuzz box. I liked that he played 'Fame' in the video too.

I've been looking at a Mojo Mojo OD lately. I jam with dudes that are into old country, blues and rock and I think that'd give me a decent tone. Now all I need is to save up for that Tele I want. I know this isn't a typical or traditional Tele but I think it would give me a good variety of tones to play with.

Modern Player Telecaster

Paul Gilbert -- Mojo Mojo demo

Respect

Anyone have a suggestions for a quality acoustic guitar? Have mostly played electric, but wanted to get a nice acoustic (have a crappy acoustic that I've had for about 15 years, but, it was a budget brand). Would like to keep the price below 600.

I know this isn't a typical or traditional Tele but I think it would give me a good variety of tones to play with.

Why doesn't it let you put the neck and bridge pickups together!? Fender!

Anyone have a suggestions for a quality acoustic guitar? [...] Would like to keep the price below 600.

From personal experience:
Godin family (Seagull, Simon & Patrick)
Eastman

From what people I trust have said:
Blueridge
Recording King

I don't know where the solid-wood models start in their lines, so you may have to go used to get one.

Look for solid woods and a body size/style that fits the kind of music you want to play and how you play (
don't buy a dreadnaught (
unless you want to
)
).

blackjaw

Why doesn't it let you put the neck and bridge pickups together!?

On a telecaster you can use the neck and bridge together in series, it's the middle position in a 3 switch. On a four way switch you can also run the neck and bridge in parallel.

On that modern player the little switch lets you chose between the humbucker and middle pickup, but both toggle positions use the neck pickup so you can middle switch for the combo. I'm sure the neck plus humbucker can get gnarly.

Top Bottom