• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guitar players of GAF- Post pics of your guitars and gear

Xun

Really tempted to pick one of these up:

8990058_800.jpg

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_te_90qm_trans_red.htm

A guy from work has one and it's beautiful.
Bought.

I should have it next week, hopefully!

Scottify

I know this is the guitar thread, but I figured basses would be okay too since there's no thread.

I just picked this up used for a really good price. I've wanted a P/J bass for a while and have always dug Yamahas. This is a BB450. I've only played a couple of minutes so far, but plays decently. Needs some cleaning and adjusting, but all in all, I dig it so far.

VswSFB6.jpg

o7JocPb.jpg

eIJRR4f.jpg

When you guys get new/used guitars, do you take it to a professional luthier for a set up? I'm wondering if I should take my Les Paul to a pro for a setup. It'll set me back something like 75-100 bucks.

It came on Friday.

It's beautiful:

SQI0cgZ.jpg

Wow. Looks gorgeous. How's it play?

Xun

When you guys get new/used guitars, do you take it to a professional luthier for a set up? I'm wondering if I should take my Les Paul to a pro for a setup. It'll set me back something like 75-100 bucks.
I'd say it's worth doing, although have you noticed anything that needs adjusting?

It might be worth speaking with someone you know who plays the guitar to get their opinion on it.

Wow. Looks gorgeous. How's it play?
It needs a setup, but I'll go as far to say I prefer it to my Blacktop Telecaster so far.

The truss rod needs adjusting, but the neck overall feels fantastic. It's so easy to play.

Considering the price I'm incredibly impressed.

Is the action high? Can you adjust it? If so, do the frets still buzz? If so, are you comfortable working on them? Does the nut need filing? How's the intonation? Play any open string and their harmonic counterpart at the 12th fret. Is the harmonic a different pitch than the open string? Yes? Your intonation is off. How is the tension on the bridge? Are the saddles adjusted properly? Etc..

If any of these things occur, and you don't feel comfortable fixing them, yes, take it in.

Edit: Just a quick tip for those taking their guitar in for fretwork.. Any guitar tech worth his salt will tape off the pickups (and neck obviously) when doing fretwork as steel wool is used. If they don't do that (ask, who cares if they laugh) then go somewhere else.

Scottify

I love that tele, very nice. I'm a big fan of both Tele style and semi-hollows, very nice purchase indeed.

About setting up, I agree with the above. Do what you can and what you're comfortable with doing, whether that's just adjusting saddle height, or in your case, the tune-o-matic height, and or the intonation.

I think the truss rod is intimidating just by what it does and how you do it. What I've learned is to just be really patient with truss rod adjustments. 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time, wait several hours and recheck, and repeat. Basically, look down your neck from the headstock to the body, if the neck has too big of a bow to it, tighten the rod, again small increments. If the neck seems too flat, with no bow, or bent backward, loosen the rod.

If you're not comfortable doing that or worry about damage, by all means, take it to a pro and just tell them what kind of action you'd like.

I set up all my electric guitars, but I imagine it may be hard to asses some of the more subjective things (action once it is higher than buzzing, pickup height) if you're just starting out.

Play any open string and their harmonic counterpart at the 12th fret. Is the harmonic a different pitch than the open string?

Uh... Harmonic and open string measure the same thing-- the length and tension of the open string. You need to compare either of those to th fretted twelfth fret to check intonation.

I set up all my electric guitars, but I imagine it may be hard to asses some of the more subjective things (action once it is higher than buzzing, pickup height) if you're just starting out.

Uh... Harmonic and open string measure the same thing-- the length and tension of the open string. You need to compare either of those to th fretted twelfth fret to check intonation.

I herped AND derped. Thanks for the correction.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Well I'm all set for the year. If I spend anymore money my wife is going to end me lol. Picked up this basically within the last month.

Epiphone 339 ES Pro
Marshall DSL40c
Digitech GX1 pedal. Traded a buddy some pick ups for this.

I have a Boss ME-25 on a 10 day hold at guitar center too. Both digital pedals. I wanted to go analog exclusively but I just can't afford them yet but will be eventually upgrading.

Well I'm all set for the year. If I spend anymore money my wife is going to end me lol. Picked up this basically within the last month.

Epiphone 339 ES Pro
Marshall DSL40c
Digitech GX1 pedal. Traded a buddy some pick ups for this.

I have a Boss ME-25 on a 10 day hold at guitar center too. Both digital pedals. I wanted to go analog exclusively but I just can't afford them yet but will be eventually upgrading.

Enjoy. Marshall's are a bit bright for me, but still great amps depending on what you get. Congrats!

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Enjoy. Marshall's are a bit bright for me, but still great amps depending on what you get. Congrats!

Thanks dude! The cleans that come through this amp sound absolutely amazing. The red channel has two leads, the first one being okay but not mindblowing, but the second one sounds so fucking dense and heavy. It's amazing. My only real gripe with it is the reverb really is pretty poor, I can't even tell when it's on. It's not a issue though since I plan on using reverb through pedals.

Thanks dude! The cleans that come through this amp sound absolutely amazing. The red channel has two leads, the first one being okay but not mindblowing, but the second one sounds so fucking dense and heavy. It's amazing. My only real gripe with it is the reverb really is pretty poor, I can't even tell when it's on. It's not a issue though since I plan on using reverb through pedals.

I'm more versed on Mesa and other brands' current offerings so I can't really offer too much advice on your Marshall, but your comment on the reverb throws up a red flag. You should definitely be able to tell.

So I went into guitar center the other day and they have a 1990 gibson explorer in their used section. I've always wanted one, but I don't know if I can justify spending the $1300 to buy it.
Has anyone here owned one before? If so what did you think of it?

So I went into guitar center the other day and they have a 1990 gibson explorer in their used section. I've always wanted one, but I don't know if I can justify spending the $1300 to buy it.
Has anyone here owned one before? If so what did you think of it?

It's time to put your haggling skills on the table.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Sup dudes!
This is a week of gloriousness! I am getting a new Orange Micro Dark head and some awesome pick ups installed into my Ibanez SA160QM this week! It is a SSH config so I will soon be rocking a Hot Rails, Cool Rails and Pegasus pick ups! Super excited!

Got this pedal from some credit at best buy as well, hearing people say its pretty damn amazing for a distortion!

Sup dudes!
This is a week of gloriousness! I am getting a new Orange Micro Dark head and some awesome pick ups installed into my Ibanez SA160QM this week! It is a SSH config so I will soon be rocking a Hot Rails, Cool Rails and Pegasus pick ups! Super excited!

Got this pedal from some credit at best buy as well, hearing people say its pretty damn amazing for a distortion!

Nice man! How does it sound?

This thread is a ghost town!

Here's my main squeeze. "Built" from scratch. Did all the wiring and setup. Speaking of, probably due for one this weekend.

20160204_145314_zpselyiseqy.jpg

20160204_145303_zps1wubrxjq.jpg

sgjackson

This thread is a ghost town!

Here's my main squeeze. "Built" from scratch. Did all the wiring and setup. Speaking of, probably due for one this weekend.

Warmoth? Been eyeing their website because I love building shit and it doesn't seem too bad putting a parts guitar together (just drilling pilot holes for screws and soldering a simple circuit).

Warmoth? Been eyeing their website because I love building shit and it doesn't seem too bad putting a parts guitar together (just drilling pilot holes for screws and soldering a simple circuit).

Yup. Fantastic stuff, it really is. It's a beautiful looking and playing neck, and I'm ordering another one pretty soon. The one you see I built for my son and am playing it until he's old/proficient enough. It's a killer guitar.

Wish I could've captured the flame on the neck a bit better, it's actually really deep.

sgjackson

Yup. Fantastic stuff, it really is. It's a beautiful looking and playing neck, and I'm ordering another one pretty soon. The one you see I built for my son and am playing it until he's old/proficient enough. It's a killer guitar.

Wish I could've captured the flame on the neck a bit better, it's actually really deep.

The main complaint I've read about their stuff is the frets aren't great on the necks from the factory, how are yours? I think if I went through with doing something that involved I'd probably pay to get a proper fret level/dress anyway, but it's cool to hear either way if it's just bluesdad insanity or what.

The main complaint I've read about their stuff is the frets aren't great on the necks from the factory, how are yours? I think if I went through with doing something that involved I'd probably pay to get a proper fret level/dress anyway, but it's cool to hear either way if it's just bluesdad insanity or what.

I have no idea what bluesdad insanity is. Lol.
What you hear is correct. It WILL need a level/dress. That does frustrate me a bit for what you pay, but I have zero complaints on quality. I wish they Plek'd their stuff.

sgjackson

I have no idea what bluesdad insanity is. Lol.
What you hear is correct. It WILL need a level/dress. That does frustrate me a bit for what you pay, but I have zero complaints on quality. I wish they Plek'd their stuff.

bluesdad is slang for rich old dudes who spend fucktons of money on gear and obsess over minutia in tone trying to chase hendrix or jimmy page or whatever.

there's a place with a plek machine like an hour from me, i kind of want to get my main guitar plek'd and see how it plays after (schecter c-1 classic).

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Nice man! How does it sound?
Whoops. I meant that i ordered it and it is coming but reading online people say this is an amazing Mesa Boogie like sound from the pedal! Super excited to try it!

I got my amp today, The Orange Micro-Dark! Holy crap this thing is tiny but THAT SOUND!! I live in an apartment so I can't be playing that loud on most days. This amp is so awesome as a headphone amp and the headphones work as a cabsim for hooking to a DAW or recording via computer! Been playing it for about 4 hours and I am so impressed by it. The fact that I can buy a nice 1 x 12 speaker here soon and use it play with homies and small gigs if I wanted is amazing.

Pick ups get installed tomorrow. Still waiting on my damn cool rails to get here but I got the pegasus! Will buy the hot rails tomorrow too!

So excited for guitar playing this weekend!!

bluesdad is slang for rich old dudes who spend fucktons of money on gear and obsess over minutia in tone trying to chase hendrix or jimmy page or whatever.

there's a place with a plek machine like an hour from me, i kind of want to get my main guitar plek'd and see how it plays after (schecter c-1 classic).

Gotcha. And no, that's not me. I'd rather spend time honing the craft and working on my chops than wasting 4 days straight tweaking an Axe Fx (even though they're awesome).

This is lovely!

Thank you. Spent a lot of time on that. The pictures don't capture the metallic flakes in the green at all, but it's a looker. Fortunately, it plays even better.

wow, built from scratch, that's crazy=)

i have a few hi end acoustics and a bass, but i don't many acoustics posted on here

Post em! This shouldn't be a discriminatory thread;)

Whoops. I meant that i ordered it and it is coming but reading online people say this is an amazing Mesa Boogie like sound from the pedal! Super excited to try it!

I got my amp today, The Orange Micro-Dark! Holy crap this thing is tiny but THAT SOUND!! I live in an apartment so I can't be playing that loud on most days. This amp is so awesome as a headphone amp and the headphones work as a cabsim for hooking to a DAW or recording via computer! Been playing it for about 4 hours and I am so impressed by it. The fact that I can buy a nice 1 x 12 speaker here soon and use it play with homies and small gigs if I wanted is amazing.

Pick ups get installed tomorrow. Still waiting on my damn cool rails to get here but I got the pegasus! Will buy the hot rails tomorrow too!

So excited for guitar playing this weekend!!

Orange makes some kickass stuff for sure. And the capabilities yours affords you makes it perfect for your living space.

Let know how they turn out. Pickups are one of the more meaningful upgrades you can make. The ones on mine are custom, and turned out awesome. The rails and poles are gold to match all the hardware.

blackjaw

Did you finish that guitar yourself or was it pre-finished by Warmoth?

I keep thinking of doing a hardtail strat but just never commit.

Did you finish that guitar yourself or was it pre-finished by Warmoth?

I keep thinking of doing a hardtail strat but just never commit.

I finished the whole guitar.

I should've put the quotes around "from scratch" in my other post. It's a frankenstrat. I used my 20 yr old beat up American strat body, sanded it down, painted it, and tossed every other part besides the pickups. I ordered new pickups, bridge, neck, backing plate, springs, screws, pots, jackplate, strap locks, scratch guard, and locking tuners. The paint took a couple tries, and I'm still not perfectly satisfied, but it meant a lot to my son so it was worth it.

You should undertake the process. It's a lot of fun, and bonds you to your instrument in a way that buying one cant. Well, for me anyway. I also have a JPMM, but the one I posted is my baby.

blackjaw

Awesome man I really like the green.

Maybe one day. I'm looking at finding an old mexi strat, something I can refinish and take on the road when I travel, cheap enough that I won't be upset if it got stolen or banged up.

Sobriquet

Awesome man I really like the green.

Maybe one day. I'm looking at finding an old mexi strat, something I can refinish and take on the road when I travel, cheap enough that I won't be upset if it got stolen or banged up.

Word of warning: guitars with a poly finish (like most MIMs) are hell to strip.

NotBacon

Is there really no general Guitar OT? I couldn't find it so I'll ask here:
Any tips for getting rid of buzz around the bridge? No it's not around the nut or the frets. It's definitely in the bridge/pickup area. And it's only my B string, which is kind of weird. And it goes away temporarily if I pick the string really hard a few times which also seems weird.

I really don't want to go back to the guitar shop again I just paid $60 to set up my guitar...

Rather than pick hard, can you make it go away by touching anything? If you can find what's buzzing by touching various pieces you're most of the way there.

What kind of bridge?

Re: a guitar OT, this is pretty much it; a more recent thread occasionally gets bumped: Guitar: let's play and learn

I got a new amp today!

Traded in my Affinity Strat and G-Dec Jr amp and picked up a Vox VT20+ amp that was on sale for $200 at Long and McQuade. They're clearing the VT20+s out because the new VT20X is coming out this year, and it's basically an upgrade of that. The VTX is basically only fifty bucks more, so the guy said that if in the next couple of months they get the VTX in, I can bring the VT20+ back and just pay the difference if I really want the upgraded one.

But the VT20+ is really cool! Feels miles ahead of my G-Dec Jr. Gonna play around with it a lot tomorrow.

This is the VT20+

This is the VT20X that's coming out. Apparently has upgraded circuitry and it can be plugged into your PC or phone or something.

blackjaw

Word of warning: guitars with a poly finish (like most MIMs) are hell to strip.

Yeah, once poly chips it's like a cancer also...spreads everywhere, real annoying

My pet peave is seeing poly guitars that have been relicd. Almost bought a highway 1 strat used but the previous owner thought it needed to be relicd and took a sander and chainsaw to it, looked horrid

The only good poly relic I have seen was on a guys site about a decade ago-- he used a pin to etch lines in the finish to replicate nitro checking. He had done this to a pair of modern poly-finished Japanese guitars, a Les Paul and a Tele. Sadly his site has been taken down and archive.org had none of the images.

NotBacon

Rather than pick hard, can you make it go away by touching anything? If you can find what's buzzing by touching various pieces you're most of the way there.

What kind of bridge?

Les Paul (Epiphone).

I've tried that before to pinpoint it and couldn't find it. But I tried again and I found the source!

It's the screw directly under the B string on the bridge. So I tried tightening it and it just keeps on turning, is it not supposed to be tight? Am I not supposed to touch those screws?

It's the screw directly under the B string on the bridge. So I tried tightening it and it just keeps on turning, is it not supposed to be tight? Am I not supposed to touch those screws?

It moves the saddle back and forth to adjust the intonation— if yours was correct before, it's now not. See steps 4 & 5.

Various tune-o-matic bridges hold those screws differently— does yours have a retaining wire opposite the adjustment head?

NotBacon

It moves the saddle back and forth to adjust the intonation— if yours was correct before, it's now not. See steps 4 & 5.

Various tune-o-matic bridges hold those screws differently— does yours have a retaining wire opposite the adjustment head?

Ah, I barely turned it but that's a nice guide thanks.

But now I'm curious how get that screw to stop vibrating if I'm not supposed to tighten it....

"But now I'm curious how get that screw to stop vibrating if I'm not supposed to tighten it...."

You can try working some graphite from a pencil into the screw threads.

Can we discuss bass guitars here?

I just changed my strings to flatwounds for the first time and life has changed for me so much and I need to tell someone.

Scottify

As a bass player too, I've wanted to try flatwounds but haven't yet. What do you like about them? Do you play a fretless bass?

As a bass player too, I've wanted to try flatwounds but haven't yet. What do you like about them? Do you play a fretless bass?
They feel like silk, make it ridiculously easy to move all over the neck, and change the feel and tone. It's honestly a hard thing to describe, but it's too good.

I play a Fender Precision with frets, so can't really say how it would work on a fretless. :(

Top Bottom