• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS (PS3) |OT| >>>>>>>>>> Your Favorite Fighting Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, a lot of the characters in this game are either characters that were already voiced in the Gundam Musou/Dynasty Warriors titles, or just have duplicate VAs (Such as Amuro/Setsuna in english). Plus, it at least helps that there are three/four versions of some characters (Amuro and Char, two versions of Setsuna [three if you include Hobo Exia which might be a playable unit], two versions of Seabook, etc). And outside of voicing some grunts, screams, and some out of context catchphrases, the actual dubbing work wouldn't be that tremendous.

The licensing of the background music is a separate issue, though.

I don't even see music licensing and VAs as the reason why it wouldn't make it out of Japan. The market for Gundam is really small in North America these days.

MechaX

I don't even see music licensing and VAs as the reason why it wouldn't make it out of Japan. The market for Gundam is really small in North America these days.

While I would agree that's pretty much the issue, I still wonder how the Musou titles can get released one after the other with Namco's help, especially when considering that it's a niche-within-a-niche situation with that one.

While I would agree that's pretty much the issue, I still wonder how the Musou titles can get released one after the other with Namco's help, especially when considering that it's a niche-within-a-niche situation with that one.

I think they get released because they're Dynasty Warriors titles more than anything. Gundam 0081 didn't get localized, but all three Musou titles did. Hell, we even got the Fist of the North Star game! That has to have an even smaller fan base in North America than Gundam does.

Thanks again everyone! Glad you guys like it! =)

Amazing OP. Have to wait until Christmas, but already sold.

Do we know what the stage music changes from vs. Next are?

The wiki has all the track listings under the Gundam series names: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam:_Extreme_Vs.

I can make a proper listing later on and add it to the OT.

But yeah, I'm hoping netcode is at the very least playable considering how far apart a lot of us are.

Don't forget to add your PSN to the community list!

frequency

I'm really looking forward to this. I'll probably mostly just play single player though (competitive multiplayer isn't my thing) so I hope there's enough content there.
I also hope the ranged combat feels a lot more satisfying than the Gundam Musou games.

I'm really looking forward to this. I'll probably mostly just play single player though (competitive multiplayer isn't my thing) so I hope there's enough content there.
I also hope the ranged combat feels a lot more satisfying than the Gundam Musou games.

Considering it's similar to Next Plus in regards to single player content, I remember it taking me at least more than 20 hours to complete the Plus mode (which is the Trial Mission Mode in EXVS). Then attempting to do get S ranks on all missions was another thing, on top of leveling up all my units to max. There's also emblem collecting in this one, on top of all the single player routes which you might have to play through several times in order to unlock all the playable units.

As for long range being more satisfying than the GM games, short answer is yes.

The long answer is the VS series can't be compared to the Musou games. There's a definite balance between ranged and melee due to the nature of being a versus game. And aside from properly getting into range to do some close range damage, you'll be using your long range weapons most of the time.

Xater

Alright! I am so ready for this. Really hope it will not take too long from YesAsia. Also added myself to the PSN list. Already saw some other guys from Europe so that's great.

I really liked Heavyarms(missiles YAY!) but I always got beat to a pulp using him in the arcades.

F91 felt like a beast and the Crossbone guys are just fun as hell.

Now I might have to find time on Sunday to hit the arcades for some warmup. :D

For now I will have to make due with watching random Gundam.

I am weak, I ordered this on play-asia. Should be here next saturday I guess.

Wait, hobo Exia is in this game? Yeah I am fairly certain that this is the unit I am going to main. But as always the Over Flag gets no love, at all. Such a shame.

Not to say that I am a cray 00 fan boy or anything. It's just that when it comes to games the kind of old, wonky stuff tends to crawl out of the old series. Like say the hyper hammer, beam javelin, G-Armor and all that for the RX-78. I watched the movie trilogy first, so stuff like that always seemed kind of weird to me.

Wait, hobo Exia is in this game? Yeah I am fairly certain that this is the unit I am going to main. But as always the Over Flag gets no love, at all. Such a shame.

But the Over Flag is here:

9c7wj.jpg

:p

And Exia Repair shows up when you Overcost in normal Exia. Hopefully you won't see it that much, heh.

I also found a very recent arcade tier listing, which is basically every unit in this game minus Hi-Nu, Dynames, Raphael, and Blue Frame 2nd L. Unless they make tweaks to the existing arcade units, I'm guessing the tier listing will hold. I'll put a translation up in a bit.

EDIT:
I can get behind this...

Just looked at the tier listing and it's considered an S rank out of the 1000 unit suits. :)

Can you post the tier list?

As of Nov. 22: http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/game/50741/#6

Hopefully one of the fine Gundam-GAF members here can get a full translation before I can.

For clarification, the groups go by unit cost:

S 古黒 運命 ストフリ > クアンタ マスター
A TX UC ν
B V2 00 DX > 羽 髭

S 隠者 > ギス
A 乙 > 黒本
B 死神 神 ケル > ZZ サザ シナ
C キュベ X2 クシャ

S シャゲ
A フォビ 龍 > スサ ヘビア
B ヴァサ 初代 スモ スト Δ F91 百式 > メッサ ガナ 赤枠 プロビ エクシア
C 02 01

S ザク > 戦車
A 犬 グフ
B ベルガ > Ez8 赤キュベ ヅダ
C アレ アッガイ > ガンイジ

frequency

Kind of off topic but:
I ordered this on Play-Asia last night but I got an unrelated email from them this morning with some coupons. :(

If only I waited a bit!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear there is a lot to do for just single player stuff. I don't have a lot of experience with Gundam games outside of the Musou games and one on the PS2 that I forget the name of.
I assume this has a way more refined combat system since it's that type of game. Sooooo looking forward to getting this! The wait for shipping is going to make me sad.

Xater

Kind of off topic but:
I ordered this on Play-Asia last night but I got an unrelated email from them this morning with some coupons. :(

If only I waited a bit!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear there is a lot to do for just single player stuff. I don't have a lot of experience with Gundam games outside of the Musou games and one on the PS2 that I forget the name of.
I assume this has a way more refined combat system since it's that type of game. Sooooo looking forward to getting this! The wait for shipping is going to make me sad.

Let me tell you, you are in for a treat. GvG Next Plus was my first Gundam VS game and I only got it because of positive impressions on here. The game actually totally blew me away and was one of my most played PSP games. This really is one the games I have been most excited about this year.

Kind of off topic but:

If only I waited a bit!

Yay, welcome to Gundam-GAF! Pretty much most of the suits play differently, so there'll be lots of nice variation regardless of who you choose.

I'll make sure to add everyone to the Gundam-GAF EXTREEEEME chat as well when I get back home from work tonight.

Also, I've translated the 1000 cost tier list:

S: Zaku II FZ > Hidolfr, Gouf
A: LaGOWE, Berga Giros
B: Ez8, Quebeley MKII, Zudah, Acguy
C: Alex > Gun-EZ

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Y'know, I know I need this game. I don't have the retarded amount of cash on hand to buy it myself, but uh... I do know some generous people, and Christmas is coming up...

but I've wanted this since the first arcade footage came out.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
How is Delta Plus?

Curious to look into Delta Plus, Unicorn, Zaku II and Zeta.

MechaX

Poor Gundam Alex. It was supposed to be better than the original Gundam on paper by far. Too bad Chris kinda sucks as a pilot and it got kinda owned by a Zaku in the actual OVA.

Yeah and the Gundam was getting kind of old by the end of the one year war and the Zeon suits are supposed to out perform it. It's just that Amuro is probably the most ridiculously dangerous pilot around thanks to getting some combat experience and ridiculous newtype precognition.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
According to the list, Delta Plus is B Rank in the 2000 list.

Hah! No wonder I couldn't find it on the list. I was looking for デルタ, not Δ.

S 古黒 運命 ストフリ > クアンタ マスター

Crossbone Full Cloth (maybe) Destiny, Strike Freedom > 00 QAN[T], Master

A TX UC ν

Turn X, Unicorn, Nu

B V2 00 DX > 羽 髭

V2, 00, Double X > Wing, Turn A

S 隠者 > ギス

Ashtaron Hermit Crab > Geese

A 乙 > 黒本

Second > (Black Book ???)

B 死神 神 ケル > ZZ サザ シナ

Shinigami, God, Keru > ZZ, Sazabi, Shina

C キュベ X2 クシャ

Quebley, X2, Kushya (?)

S シャゲ

Shage

A フォビ 龍 > スサ ヘビア

Forbidden, Dragon > Susanoo, Heavy Arms

B ヴァサ 初代 スモ スト Δ F91 百式 > メッサ ガナ 赤枠 プロビ エクシア

Vasa, OG Gundam, Sumo, Suto (??), Delta, F91, Hyaku Shiki > Messala, Gunner, Red Frame, Providence, Exia

C 02 01

S ザク > 戦車

Zaku > Tank

A 犬 グフ

Dog (?), Gouf

B ベルガ > Ez8 赤キュベ ヅダ

Beruga > Ez8, Red Quebley, tsuda (?)

C アレ アッガイ > ガンイジ

Are, Acguy > Ganiji

This list is using short forms and nick names. I have no idea what half of these mean.

Someone who understands some of these nicknames and knows more about Gundam should probably clean up that terrible translation.

Hah! No wonder I couldn't find it on the list. I was looking for デルタ, not Δ.

Yeah, I was looking for that as well, but the list uses a lot of nicknames. I think I have most of the 2000s down, but I'm somewhat guessing on Strike and Gunner Zaku Warrior.

2000 unit tier list

S: Strike (probably)
A: Forbidden, Dragon > Susanoo, HeavyArms
B: Virsago, Delta Plus, F91, Sumo, Gundam, Hyaku Shiki > Providence, Exia, Messala, Gunner Zaku Warrior, Astray Red Frame
C: GP02A, GP01Fb

(no idea, but I'm hoping it's a Gundam called Beard)

That's Turn A.

thetrin

Formatting that list a little more to make it more readable. Anyone who knows some of these units I can't figure out the names of, please give me your input so I can keep updating that list.

Too bad there are many other G Gundams that should be in this over Zeus Gundam. Gundams like Spiegel and Maxter.

179079-6334584-domoncry.jpg

Dem tears. :p

Here's the 3000 unit list. Unsure of Crossbone Full Cloth, but it's the only one that probably fits the "old black."

3000 tier

S: Crossbone Full Cloth (maybe) Destiny, Strike Freedom > 00 QAN[T], Master
A: Turn X, Unicorn, Nu
B: V2, 00 Gundam, Double X > Turn A, Wing Zero

^ German ninjutsu is best ninjutsu.

Okay, I've finally translated the 2500 units, so here's the tier list last created on 11/22/2011: http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/game/50741/#6

S: Crossbone Full Cloth, Destiny, Strike Freedom > 00 QAN[T], Master
A: Turn X, Unicorn, Nu
B: V2, 00 Gundam, Double X > Turn A, Wing Zero

S: Infinite Justice > Tallgeese III
A: Zeta > Crossbone
B: Deathscythe Hell, God, Cherudim > ZZ, Sazabi, Sinanju
C: Quebeley, Crossbone X-2, Kshatriya

S: Strike
A: Forbidden, Dragon > Susanoo, HeavyArms
B: Virsago, Gundam, Sumo, Gelgoog, Delta Plus, F91, Hyaku Shiki > Providence, Exia, Messala, Gunner Zaku Warrior, Astray Red Frame
C: GP02A, GP01Fb

S: Zaku II FZ > Hidolfr, Gouf
A: LaGOWE, Berga Giros
B: Ez8, Quebeley MKII, Zudah, Acguy
C: Alex > Gun-EZ

Dat Crossbone.

thetrin

Dat Crossbone. Can't wait!

MechaX

Man, even in Alliance vs. ZAFT, the Destiny and the Strike (Launcher Strike in particular) were insanely good.

thetrin

I haven't seen any good videos of Unicorn in action. Any good fights anyone can link me to?

Xater

Maybe I'll have to rethink my Exia preference. Heavy Arms was also alright.

@Shouta: You know if these tiers are pretty close Tekken-style or are they more severe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom