• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS (PS3) |OT| >>>>>>>>>> Your Favorite Fighting Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I was counting on it to be localized due to all the Gundam Musou/Dynasty Warriors Gundam games coming over, but that's more than likely a whole different situation.

We didn't get Gundam 0081, so I don't really see why we'd get this. The Musou titles are a whole 'nother beast.

TreIII

Hmm, I was counting on it to be localized due to all the Gundam Musou/Dynasty Warriors Gundam games coming over, but that's more than likely a whole different situation.

Indeed. The main reason we get those games at all, is because Koei pushes for them to be released over here. That's also the major reason why the likes of Wing Zero and Epyon were included in the first game, because Koei wanted to garner interest of the Western audience.

But if it was only up to Bamco? We likely wouldn't have gotten those Musou games, either.

To me, likely the only chance this game has at getting a western release, is if a substantial importing scene showcases to Bamco that it's worth taking the risk to release a Gundam Vs. game over here. Because the only other precedent they have is when Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam was released on the PS2 in the West nearly a decade ago, to fairly meager sales and tepid reviews.

To me, likely the only chance this game has at getting a western release, is if a substantial importing scene showcases to Bamco that it's worth taking the risk to release a Gundam Vs. game over here. Because the only other precedent they have is when Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam was released on the PS2 in the West nearly a decade ago, to fairly meager sales and tepid reviews.

And then it would still be tough, seeing how the majority of the people who would buy a domestic release already ponied up the cash on the import.

Bandai made a half-assed attempt to bring Gundam over in the early 00s (DVDs, toys, models, tons of PS2 games, etc.) but it's pretty clear that now it's a full-ass attempt.

Indeed. The main reason we get those games at all, is because Koei pushes for them to be released over here. That's also the major reason why the likes of Wing Zero and Epyon were included in the first game, because Koei wanted to garner interest of the Western audience.

But if it was only up to Bamco? We likely wouldn't have gotten those Musou games, either.

Hopefully the fighting game community can give it the boost in popularity it needs to gain some traction in that regard.

Zapages

Its really hard justifying paying 120 dollars for a import game with a shipping. I mean could get almost every single Gundam series ever made for paying 15 dollars more.

Debating between this:

This game (120 dollars)

vs

(135 dollars)
Gundam Zeta Series
Gundam 0083 Stardust Memories
Gundam 0081 War in the Pocket
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz
Gundam F91
Gundam Char's Counterattack

What do you guys think I should go with?

Beth Cyra

Its really hard justifying paying 120 dollars for a import game with a shipping. I mean could get almost every single Gundam series ever made for paying 15 dollars more.

Debating between this:

This game (120 dollars)

vs

(135 dollars)
Gundam Zeta Series
Gundam F91

This, get all the fucking awesome suit designs, great gameplay and most of the great characters.

Then again I find the majority of Gundam stories to be shit so it's even better for me because I get to skip them and get the good parts here.

Debating between this:

This game (120 dollars)

vs

(135 dollars)
Gundam Zeta Series
Gundam F91

How are you getting $120 if we told you to go with the Asian version? It'd be $100 max if you did express shipping with this one: http://www.play-asia.com/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_Extreme_VS/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-4ddf-4-6.html

Coxy

Debating between this:

This game (120 dollars)

vs

(135 dollars)
Gundam Zeta Series
Gundam F91

if you're getting the anime ditch wing and 0083, get 08th MS team and G Gundam imo
but I'd say get the game anyway, the anime will always be there but the first few months of the game will be awesome

I definitely think there'll be a decent western community for this, I hang around a few of the fighting communities since I'm big into Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur and dabble in BlazBlue even though I suck at it, there's a lot of positive buzz for extreme vs. Lots of "Better than MY game? No way, I have to check it out"

I definitely think there'll be a decent western community for this, I hang around a few of the fighting communities since I'm big into Virtua Fighter and Soul Calibur and dabble in BlazBlue even though I suck at it, there's a lot of positive buzz for extreme vs. Lots of "Better than MY game? No way, I have to check it out"

Should've made the title " >>>>>>>>> than your favorite fighting game." :3

I'm jealous Japan, I want this game so badly :(

Don't see how a simple click on a webpage is preventing you from getting it where ever you are. :p

Ha, I have no problem importing but wouldn't the language barrier be pretty large?

Not really. Aside from filling the OP with as much translated important info about the menu screens and all that, the game itself is rather easy to understand... which is why the OT is rather large (due to overlaying the english onto the screens in the picture links). In trial mission mode, most of the time it's either kill everyone on the screen until the enemy gauge drops or kill given target.

Zapages

if you're getting the anime ditch wing and 0083, get 08th MS team and G Gundam imo
but I'd say get the game anyway, the anime will always be there but the first few months of the game will be awesome

I have seen all of them... I just want them to be in my DVD collection. :)

How are you getting $120 if we told you to go with the Asian version? It'd be $100 max if you did express shipping with this one: http://www.play-asia.com/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_Extreme_VS/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-4ddf-4-6.html

But its Asian version... Don't know 100% if the DLC will work on it. I would definitely get it if the Japanese DLC would work on it. :)

TreIII

And then it would still be tough, seeing how the majority of the people who would buy a domestic release already ponied up the cash on the import.

Well, sure, the hardcore may stand to have to double dip. But as this very topic showcases alone, there's likely a good number of people who are interested and want to buy in, but either don't want to import or can't import because, among other things, they can't see themselves plopping down upwards of 100 clams to get this one game.

Therein lies the potential audience that could certainly be expanded on, if a scene develops and Bamco sees something that's worth taking a chance on.

Hopefully the fighting game community can give it the boost in popularity it needs to gain some traction in that regard.

Well, now that the series is back on a console again, that's already a victory. Has there been a definitive answer yes or no about whether we can do this LAN style or not?

Atcha

gundamstick.jpg

Ahahaha !!!

Great job !!!!

Double post, but this is potentially huge...

System link play on the PS3 was apparently shown in a Bandai Namco live feed for EXVS awhile back, but it looks like nobody followed up on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsCMxBAJy58

The way the systems are setup is a LAN configuration, identical to how the arcade systems are linked(the link screen gives it away). As if this will be in the final release is still questionable BUT it shows that the current dev release has that option enabled.

Hope this is true. >__<

matmanx1

Play-Asia is trying to tempt me now. They sent me a $7 off of $77 order and a $15 off of $150 order coupons today. That Asian version is suddenly getting very close to what I would consider to be a reasonable amount to pay for an import copy.

I'm just not sure how much I would enjoy this game. The videos make it look like fun but I'm not great at fighting games. I do love Gundam though. Decisions, decisions.

andymcc

Banned
i want this game so badly but my christmas list for girlfriend/friends/family is already so big.

hopefully someone gets it for me. :(

matmanx1

Alright, I bit on the Asian version from Play-Asia. Even though I told myself I was done buying games for the year my curiosity has gotten the better of me. I figured I would go in with an open mind, try to learn the basic systems and try and have some fun online even if I'm not very good.

With the coupon the Asian version was only $77.90 + shipping and I figure even if I don't care for it I can always resell it and recoup most of my investment. And if I end up liking it then I certainly got a good deal.

matmanx1

It will work. No more excuses. Buy it. Buy it now.

Changed my shipping from standard airmail to Fed Ex 2-day. Yes.

Will the DLC code in the Asian version only work on the HK PSN store? I usually just buy the Japanese version of imports so I'm unsure how they usually differ.

Will the DLC code in the Asian version only work on the HK PSN store? I usually just buy the Japanese version of imports so I'm unsure how they usually differ.

I don't know. I always buy the Japanese version. I do know that the discs themselves are identical between Asia and Japan. Try activating the code on the JP store and the HK store, then you'll find out which one it's good with. The DLC you buy from the stores will work with both versions, though.

Shouta

Any chance you could tell me anything about Zero?

I have read that it was system changes going from Next/Plus to Extreme that really put a bullet in him as well as his Melee being generally crap.

Anything specific though that stands out to you that puts him so low? Granted Zero EW from Next plus wasn't a melee power house but he seemed to have a nice little set going and it seems like from what I read that Zero now has worse Melee then both of his previous versions.

Is he really just that damn slow?

It is a bit of system changes and a bit of property changes that kind of made Zero worse.

In this game, staying airborne all the time is not good and Zero actually falls a little slower than other units as I recall making it an easier target when it comes to getting tagged there. Then there are a lot of little properties that they adjusted that make the unit harder to play, like the turn and shoot taking up a lot more boost.

The biggest issue by far though, is that as a 3000 unit, it's somewhat difficult to deal the big damage fast like you want to. The main Gerobi that was so powerful in Next got changed so that to deal full damage, it has to land a full hit on your opponent. In Next, if you got tagged with the first hit, you could take all of the damage as I recall. The Main also suffers against Rainbow Steps because it comes out a little slow. It's likely more or less the same as Next but being able to dodge it is rough. It also has less ammo now. 8 shots vs I think 10 or 12 in Next. I find myself running out of main a lot more often when I play Zero in EXVS.

It's melee is relatively poor, being slow and having somewhat low damage compared to similar units. You also can't use the main to land into a melee combo which means you have to rely on stepping to get combos in which can be difficult.

In addition, they lowered the damage on his Twin Buster Rifle but gave it a bit of homing recently too so while it's easier to land, you aren't going to be doing as much damage as it used to be.

It's a fun unit to play but and I've seen folks do well with it but it's just not as buff as it used to be. I think they wanted to avoid having a situation where it would dominate the rankings like what happened with Next.

Should've made the title " >>>>>>>>> than your favorite fighting game." :3

I can do that you know. =o

Shouta

I can't wait to give Dynames a shot. After checking out a video or two and finding out he's a 2000 unit with a bit of melee, he sounds more my speed compared to Cherudim.

matmanx1

I don't know. I always buy the Japanese version. I do know that the discs themselves are identical between Asia and Japan. Try activating the code on the JP store and the HK store, then you'll find out which one it's good with. The DLC you buy from the stores will work with both versions, though.

So it really just comes down to the activation of the Hi-Nu code then, which is not a big deal. I don't have an HK PSN store account although I do have a JP store account and I use it pretty frequently. It would be nice to not have to make an HK store account just for one piece of DLC but it's far from a deal breaker.

I have no idea which units I will want to start out with but the video of the guy playing the Zaku II actually looked really fun and I've always had a soft spot for the Zaku II. I can't wait to try it out.

TreIII

Double post, but this is potentially huge...

System link play on the PS3 was apparently shown in a Bandai Namco live feed for EXVS awhile back, but it looks like nobody followed up on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsCMxBAJy58

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

This is perhaps the most important thing to possibly getting this primed and ready for tournament play. Even conventions like Otakon might give this game a shot, if LAN play is something feasible.

I can't wait to give Dynames a shot. After checking out a video or two and finding out he's a 2000 unit with a bit of melee, he sounds more my speed compared to Cherudim.

Oh yeah, one other question I never got around to asking you on here or FAQs...

Does ZZ still do SPDs? 8D

Yeah, Dynames looks to have a decent skill set, let alone preferring weapon reload by going off some vids.

Beth Cyra

Thanks for all the details on Zero. I will definitly stick to him as I love the suit and given you say he is still fun to play makes it so I really don't mind the fact he is less powerful.

Though I am sad about the Beam getting kinda rapped. Either way I can't fucking wait for this game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Love the thread title change. Hopefully this will get more gaffers to pop into this thread and learn more about what they've been missing.

System link would be greaaaaaaat for potential future western tournaments. What would be fuckmazing awesome would be if they had a spectator client (don't they have dogfight machines where you can spectate?) for streaming purposes. Trying to stream 2 (and especially 4) HD consoles at once is craycray expensive.

System link would be greaaaaaaat for potential future western tournaments. What would be fuckmazing awesome would be if they had a spectator client (don't they have dogfight machines where you can spectate?) for streaming purposes. Trying to stream 2 (and especially 4) HD consoles at once is craycray expensive.
Here's to hoping there's some kind of spectator mode at all. Just wish they would give a full listing of all features already outside of the trial mission stuff and basic online lobby stuff.

Zapages

I am going for it. If anyone has play asia discount code and willing to share. I would really appreciate it. :)

I do have japanese account, but not Hong Kong account...

Wazzim

Banned
I....I just ordered.
€75 down the drain T_____T

naamloosvwe5t.png

The thing that sold me was the local splitscreen, my little brother loves playing splitscreen games with me so that's totally worth the price.

TimeKillr

Pre-ordered the JP version from Amiami for me and a buddy of mine...

It's expensive, and a tiny bit more expensive than the Asia version from Play-Asia but it's still cheaper than the JP version from P-A. I very much prefer to support Amiami than Play-Asia with their stupidly inflated prices and never having anything in stock. Ugh.

Can't wait to play it :)

**edit** Watching more videos of this is going to make it incredibly difficult for me not to play with the 0083 Gundams... I fucking love the OP. Hah!

^ Thanks man. =)

I....I just ordered.
€75 down the drain T_____T

naamloosvwe5t.png

The thing that sold me was the local splitscreen, my little brother loves playing splitscreen games with me so that's totally worth the price.

Heh, looks like you bit after the first page. :3

Zapages

I swear donkey show, you're going to pay for this in an online battle :p

Ditto those sentiments... Hopefully someone is able to help donate $7 coupon for play-asia to help ease the pain.

This will look nice with my other collection: Gundam: Federation vs Zeon and Gundam vs Zeta Gundam for PS2. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom