• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Extreme VS (PS3) |OT| >>>>>>>>>> Your Favorite Fighting Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That Crossbone Fullcloth match was nuts. I fully expected him to eat it near the end of that match.

Wazzim

Banned
I'd be more angry at the current exchange rates then anything else. Lots of import titles are going at $80+
Euro exchange isn't that bad but I stopped paying €60+ for games a long time ago. I love this game and played nearly all the gundam games on PSP but shit's getting too expensive for a day 1 buy. I might cave around my birthday next month though, the gameplay videos looks so good.

I'd be more angry at the current exchange rates then anything else. Lots of import titles are going at $80+

I'd be thrilled if they were only $80, but the exchange rate has them closer to $95 or $100.

Just placed my preorder for the Gundam Unicorn game. With shipping and a $5 off coupon at Play Asia, it was $97.

I'd be thrilled if they were only $80, but the exchange rate has them closer to $95 or $100.

Just placed my preorder for the Gundam Unicorn game. With shipping and a $5 off coupon at Play Asia, it was $97.

Isn't the Asian release closer to $80

The Unicorn game is developed by the ACER team, so I'm holding off unless it somehow ends up impressing.

Beth Cyra

^ German ninjutsu is best ninjutsu.

Okay, I've finally translated the 2500 units, so here's the tier list last created on 11/22/2011: http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/game/50741/#6

S: Crossbone Full Cloth, Destiny, Strike Freedom > 00 QAN[T], Master
A: Turn X, Unicorn, Nu
B: V2, 00 Gundam, Double X > Turn A, Wing Zero

S: Infinite Justice > Tallgeese III
A: Zeta > Crossbone
B: Deathscythe Hell, God, Cherudim > ZZ, Sazabi, Sinanju
C: Quebeley, Crossbone X-2, Kshatriya

S: Strike
A: Forbidden, Dragon > Susanoo, HeavyArms
B: Virsago, Gundam, Sumo, Gelgoog, Delta Plus, F91, Hyaku Shiki > Providence, Exia, Messala, Gunner Zaku Warrior, Astray Red Frame
C: GP02A, GP01Fb

S: Zaku II FZ > Hidolfr, Gouf
A: LaGOWE, Berga Giros
B: Ez8, Quebeley MKII, Zudah, Acguy
C: Alex > Gun-EZ

Dat Crossbone.

Fuck Zero went even further down on this tier list.

Really sucks for me as both Zero TV and Zero EW ranked far far better in Next only to have them be combined and be the single worst 3000 Unit. I will still main him as he is easily my favorite Unit but still damn.

Glad I decided to pick up both Tallgeese III and Unicorn as side suits.

MechaX

I like how a lot of the suits seem to play completely differently than they did in older titles (Unicorn and Exia are notable examples).

I'm hyped for this game. Plus, with a little unwanted games + GameStop trade in deal, I managed to snag Skyward Sword for a grand total of -6 cents (yes, negative six cents), so now I can spare the cash to order this game.

I also hope Tieria in the Raphael Gundam ends up being good. It did jack shit in the actual movie (albeit, a lot more than what the 00 Quanta did), and given how he's one of my favorite Gundam pilots in a while, it would be a treat.

I like how a lot of the suits seem to play completely differently than they did in older titles (Unicorn and Exia are notable examples).

I'm hyped for this game. Plus, with a little unwanted games + GameStop trade in deal, I managed to snag Skyward Sword for a grand total of -6 cents (yes, negative six cents), so now I can spare the cash to order this game.

I also hope Tieria in the Raphael Gundam ends up being good. It did jack shit in the actual movie (albeit, a lot more than what the 00 Quanta did), and given how he's one of my favorite Gundam pilots in a while, it would be a treat.

We might know a bit more about it before release since it is being made playable in the arcades on the 29th.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I never saw the 00 movie, mostly because the second season of 00 was total crap.

I'm probably in the minority, but I actually think Raphael has kind of a dumb design. Cool powers, dumb design.

I never saw the 00 movie, mostly because the second season of 00 was total crap.

I'm probably in the minority, but I actually think Raphael has kind of a dumb design. Cool powers, dumb design.

It totally looks fine without the dumb backpack Gundam on its back. A shame they couldn't make the design flow better.

ACESmkII

Yeah, almost all of the 00 Mobile Suit designs took a huge nose dive after the first season, although one armed Exia was pretty bad ass.

Shouta

As of Nov. 22: http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/game/50741/#6

Hopefully one of the fine Gundam-GAF members here can get a full translation before I can.

For clarification, the groups go by unit cost:

Just to translate it a bit more properly, as there are a lot of nicknames on here.

S 古黒 運命 ストフリ > クアンタ マスター
A TX UC ν
B V2 00 DX > 羽 髭

Full Cloth, Destiny, SF, > Quanta > Master
Turn X, Unicorn, Nu
V2, 00, DX > WZ Turn A

S 隠者 > ギス
A 乙 > 黒本
B 死神 神 ケル > ZZ サザ シナ
C キュベ X2 クシャ

IJ > TGIII
Zeta > X1
DSH, God, Cherudim > ZZ, Sazabi, Sinanju
Haman, X2, Kshatriya

S シャゲ
A フォビ 龍 > スサ ヘビア
B ヴァサ 初代 スモ スト Δ F91 百式 > メッサ ガナ 赤枠 プロビ エクシア
C 02 01

Gelgoog
Forbidden, Dragon, Susanoo, Heavyarms
Virsago, RX-78, Sumo, Strike, F91, Hyakushiki > Messala, Luna, Red Frame > Providence > Exia
02, 01

S ザク > 戦車
A 犬 グフ
B ベルガ > Ez8 赤キュベ ヅダ
C アレ アッガイ > ガンイジ

Zaku > Hidolfr
LaGowe Gouf
Berga > Ez8, Puru-II, Zuda
Alex Accguy > GunEz

Maybe I'll have to rethink my Exia preference. Heavy Arms was also alright.

@Shouta: You know if these tiers are pretty close Tekken-style or are they more severe?

Aside from the lowest ranking 1000s, most units are pretty viable (and heck, Ez8 and Zuda can be ok as well). The game is 2v2 first off and it's highly mobile so differences in units aren't going to be as nasty as fighting games. There are particular reasons why each are ranked as they are. Would take a bit to explain them all though.

Ah cool. I had switched Strike's and Gelgoog's placement in my translation, among some other things. Thanks!

EDIT - Edited Tier Listing

S: Crossbone Full Cloth, Destiny, Strike Freedom > 00 QAN[T] > Master
A: Turn X, Unicorn, Nu
B: V2, 00 Gundam, Double X > Wing Zero Custom, Turn A

S: Infinite Justice > Tallgeese III
A: Zeta > Crossbone X-1
B: Deathscythe Hell, God, Cherudim > ZZ, Sazabi, Sinanju
C: Quebeley, Crossbone X-2, Kshatriya

S: Gelgoog
A: Forbidden, Dragon > Susanoo, HeavyArms
B: Virsago, Gundam, Sumo, Strike, Delta Plus, F91, Hyaku Shiki > Messala, Gunner Zaku Warrior, Red Frame > Providence > Exia
C: GP02A, GP01Fb

S: Zaku II FZ > Hidolfr
A: LaGOWE, Gouf Custom
B: Berga Giros > Ez8, Quebeley MKII, Zudah
C: Alex, Acguy > Gun-EZ

Shouta said:
There are particular reasons why each are ranked as they are. Would take a bit to explain them all though.
If you wouldn't mind. :3

lupinko

GundamGAF next week will be a very glorious week of GANDAMU amazingness.

Anyone else pick up Unicorn Vol. 4 BD to go along with GEV? I know I did. :D

I'm loving Master being S Rank again. :D

I was really bummed that he got nerfed up the ass in GvGN. I ended up relearning how to play GvGN again (different play style) with Hyaku Shiki. =/

Shouta

Haha fair enough. So how come X-2 is ranked as a C? Is it a speed and health issue?

Health is pretty big, the mantle only protects against beams and once that's gone, you're left with 540 HP on it. That's basically a 2000 cost value (most 2000s have 580, F91 has 520). It has a couple of particular quirks like the main weapon's shooting angles can be a little funky and the shotlancer having very little tracking. X2's melee priority is low which means it'll get hit with melee a little more often than say X1. Also the mantle drops speed unlike X1's which is a minus as well.

TreIII

I'm loving Master being S Rank again. :D

I was really bummed that he got nerfed up the ass in GvGN. I ended up relearning how to play GvGN again (different play style) with Hyaku Shiki. =/

Eh? I picked up the series for the first time in a while with Next Plus, what was really nerfed about Master?

Health is pretty big, the mantle only protects against beams and once that's gone, you're left with 540 HP on it. That's basically a 2000 cost value (most 2000s have 580, F91 has 520). It has a couple of particular quirks like the main weapon's shooting angles can be a little funky and the shotlancer having very little tracking. X2's melee priority is low which means it'll get hit with melee a little more often than say X1. Also the mantle drops speed unlike X1's which is a minus as well.

Thanks for the info! A shame considering its attacks don't have great tracking. Hopefully they won't nerf Full Cloth in the home version. I'm guess the Hidolfr's attacks and movement must give it an S ranking in the 1000s category.

Shouta

Well, only the shotlancer's tracking is bad, I think. The others seemed fine to me. It has a long red-lock range though.

lupinko

Eh? I picked up the series for the first time in a while with Next Plus, what was really nerfed about Master?

I'd elaborate but I'm on my iPhone. But cliff notes version the system changes in next hurt Melee units hard, especially MFs. Also Darkness/God Finger air dash/jump cancel spam was pretty much gone. Sad day for us practitioners of Touhou sensei's style. :/

Shouta

Boost Dashing. It gave ranged units an easier way of getting away from melee units. In GvG, you could barely get away from melee units, if at all, because your movement was a lot more limited. They changed it in Extreme VS by adding in Step Cancels again (or Rainbow Step). Notice how the tier-list is a solid mix of ranged/melee units. Next was almost entirely dominated by Ranged.

There are going to be demo events in Japan on 11/26 (so later today over there). Not sure if this is just Tokyo or other cities as well. Anyone in Japan able to check one of them out?

TreIII

I'd elaborate but I'm on my iPhone. But cliff notes version the system changes in next hurt Melee units hard, especially MFs. Also Darkness/God Finger air dash/jump cancel spam was pretty much gone. Sad day for us practitioners of Touhou sensei's style. :/

Boost Dashing. It gave ranged units an easier way of getting away from melee units. In GvG, you could barely get away from melee units, if at all, because your movement was a lot more limited. They changed it in Extreme VS by adding in Step Cancels again (or Rainbow Step). Notice how the tier-list is a solid mix of ranged/melee units. Next was almost entirely dominated by Ranged.

Ah, I see. So it just relates to the general thing about how Melee suffered in Next, as a whole. I thought it was something specific to Master himself.

...On another note, isn't it kind of funny how we refer to the MS themselves by gender? 8D

lupinko

Ah, I see. So it just relates to the general thing about how Melee suffered in Next, as a whole. I thought it was something specific to Master himself.

...On another note, isn't it kind of funny how we refer to the MS themselves by gender? 8D

No, it was also specific to Master and God as well. All Melee specials like god finger now used boost when it didn't before this reducing mobility to a large degree. Also Master's ability to jump cancel spam and his cartwheel jumps were thrown out in next iirc. And the strat in using darkness finger to dash spam was kaput due to the Melee boost bar changes. The fingers also lost most if not all invincibility iirc, it's been too long. Basically gvg master was mvc2 magneto, and no longer held that mantle in next. iPhone typing blows for long typing. Lol

TreIII

No, it was also specific to Master and God as well. All Melee specials like god finger now used boost when it didn't before this reducing mobility to a large degree. Also Master's ability to jump cancel spam and his cartwheel jumps were thrown out in next iirc. And the strat in using darkness finger to dash spam was kaput due to the Melee boost bar changes. The fingers also lost most if not all invincibility iirc, it's been too long. Basically gvg master was mvc2 magneto, and no longer held that mantle in next. iPhone typing blows for long typing. Lol

Ah, I see. Thanks for the information!

As hinted before, I skipped Gundam vs. Gundam, so I didn't know what had happened between that game and Next.

Shouta

Ah, I see. Thanks for the information!

As hinted before, I skipped Gundam vs. Gundam, so I didn't know what had happened between that game and Next.

Honestly, GvG wasn't a great game so you weren't missing much. Gameplay balance was whack and it was a step back from AvZII in terms of overall gameplay. It was still fun because it was the first time they did a full out cross-over game but Next really made it look bad.

Honestly, GvG wasn't a great game so you weren't missing much. Gameplay balance was whack and it was a step back from AvZII in terms of overall gameplay. It was still fun because it was the first time they did a full out cross-over game but Next really made it look bad.

And you had the G-Crossovers as well...

Deadly

Yeah hated GvG there was just something off about it

Shouta

Alright, then what happened to Exia. It was a higher rated unit in GvG Next.

By far the biggest problem with current Exia is that its Trans-Am was moved to the Extreme Burst mode where as it was its own charging bar in Next. What this means it doesn't have access to its means of dealing big and fast damage. Extreme Burst meter is highly related to your HP and Exia got hit with a -20 to its HP compared to next, down to 540 from 560. That means the unit requires a lot more dodging because if you mess up with it, you could get taken down really quickly. It's also lost the Dynames assist which helped it get some damage and downs in during Next.

On the flipside, Exia's ranged is is a bit more reliable in comparison and it has a slight advantage compared to other melee/close-ranged units in that regard. It's not going to beat an All-Rounder unit in ranged though. Daggers are thrown at the same time and has a flipping motion to aid rather than spinning in place and the GN Arms summon is solid damage though you're not going to hit it just by tossing it out. It also has the Exia Repair revival now as well when you're shot down and it would cost you the match. Though Repair's stats are lower than basic Exia's, it's not as bad as say Hyakushiki's revival. Normally, you should run with Repair to keep alive but if you and your partner can make it work, you can still fight with Repair to some degree.

Can we be confident that this is coming to US? I mean, Namco, but...
Ni No Kuni, Saint Seiya and this were my must-import games for this Q4 but just not enough time. This is all I need for them all to conveniently release in English when I also have time to play them, next year.

Can we be confident that this is coming to US? I mean, Namco, but...
Ni No Kuni, Saint Seiya and this were my must-import games for this Q4 but just not enough time. This is all I need for them all to conveniently release in English when I also have time to play them, next year.

The last 4 iterations of the Gundam VS series haven't been localized since the PS2 Gundam vs Zeta Gundam. Don't expect this one to be.

Xater

By far the biggest problem with current Exia is that its Trans-Am was moved to the Extreme Burst mode where as it was its own charging bar in Next. What this means it doesn't have access to its means of dealing big and fast damage. Extreme Burst meter is highly related to your HP and Exia got hit with a -20 to its HP compared to next, down to 540 from 560. That means the unit requires a lot more dodging because if you mess up with it, you could get taken down really quickly. It's also lost the Dynames assist which helped it get some damage and downs in during Next.

On the flipside, Exia's ranged is is a bit more reliable in comparison and it has a slight advantage compared to other melee/close-ranged units in that regard. It's not going to beat an All-Rounder unit in ranged though. Daggers are thrown at the same time and has a flipping motion to aid rather than spinning in place and the GN Arms summon is solid damage though you're not going to hit it just by tossing it out. It also has the Exia Repair revival now as well when you're shot down and it would cost you the match. Though Repair's stats are lower than basic Exia's, it's not as bad as say Hyakushiki's revival. Normally, you should run with Repair to keep alive but if you and your partner can make it work, you can still fight with Repair to some degree.

Ok, I can see how the Trans-Am change makes a big difference. That was a big part in playing the unit in GvG Next Plus.

Shouta

Ok, I can see how the Trans-Am change makes a big difference. That was a big part in playing the unit in GvG Next Plus.

Yeah. Trans-Am was such a big reason for it being buff in Next. Moving it to EB was a big deal. While you CAN still be highly effective with the mode, the potential threat is a lot easier to read now. You can build EB meter without losing HP but if you're doing that, you're already winning anyway!

The last 4 iterations of the Gundam VS series haven't been localized since the PS2 Gundam vs Zeta Gundam. Don't expect this one to be.

Hmm, I was counting on it to be localized due to all the Gundam Musou/Dynasty Warriors Gundam games coming over, but that's more than likely a whole different situation.

Beth Cyra

Yeah. Trans-Am was such a big reason for it being buff in Next. Moving it to EB was a big deal. While you CAN still be highly effective with the mode, the potential threat is a lot easier to read now. You can build EB meter without losing HP but if you're doing that, you're already winning anyway!

Any chance you could tell me anything about Zero?

I have read that it was system changes going from Next/Plus to Extreme that really put a bullet in him as well as his Melee being generally crap.

Anything specific though that stands out to you that puts him so low? Granted Zero EW from Next plus wasn't a melee power house but he seemed to have a nice little set going and it seems like from what I read that Zero now has worse Melee then both of his previous versions.

Is he really just that damn slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom