• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Versus |OT| The World, Western release out now!

Thanks a lot for that, that's a big help.

x9XJkdj.gif

I really do hope BN do a decent job supporting tournaments, especially in NA/Europe.

In arcades here in Japan the Versus series has always been one of the most active and vibrant scenes around, for more than a decade at this point.

I really do think it could do well if they did something like throw in a nice pot bonus at any event like Evo.

Thanks a lot for that, that's a big help.

The Dreissen striker is my go-to when I need one that stuns. The delay before the funnel blades come out allows you a nice window to try and trap your opponent.
It's definitely a better fit for ranged suits, but I feel like popping it and immediately rushing with Epyon would still work well against a lot of people.

dwix

Anyone got tips for avoiding/blocking melee attacks?

I'm definitely not an expert, but for me, so much about avoiding melee is anticipation.

Once you feel like they are about to charge in for a combo, having a quick acting striker or having some quick defensive attacks that you can activate should keep them honest. For example, Crossbone X-1 Kai has a whip that comes out fast, has great range, and can do sweeping attacks that knock enemies down. As long as I see them coming, melee attacks rarely pay off.

Which suits/strikers are you using?

Bombless

I need to get better at movement, using Virtue atm and as soon as the enemy gets in my face I get stomped. I guess I should unlock a melee striker to bail me out in these situations.

The way I've been practicing is doing one on one vs specific suits until I beat them (AI). Right now, I've been stuck timing out against that reddish female ZOE looking Gundam. At first, I kept losing but I'm glad I'm holding out (with the lead) until time runs out at least.

Anyone got tips for avoiding/blocking melee attacks?
For universal options, using a good striker is the easiest. Just pop it as they close in while boosting away.

Jumping or simply blocking will work too if they're moving straight at you too. You can usually just boost away and shoot if they're really predictable too.

Beyond that, it depends on your suit. Most suits have good moves to deal with melee like whips, G-Arcane's AB moves, or Sandrock's AB.

I find the easiest option is to use melee attacks that do hop attacks like Turn A's 2BC or Gottrlatan's 2B. Wait for them to start they're animation then just hop the attack and start your own melee attack. They can be dodged via a rainbow step but since you're doing a melee attack yourself, you can also rainbow step if necessary and start over.

Pengu

Neo Member
Which suits/strikers are you using?

Mostly shooting type suits: throne eins, gpo1, sazabi, full armor gundam etc. I haven't unlocked the strikers I used in the jp version so I'm using the gm beam gun spray. It works, but I'm trying to figure out how to get away from melee units after I get knocked down.

MechaX

I need to get better at movement, using Virtue atm and as soon as the enemy gets in my face I get stomped. I guess I should unlock a melee striker to bail me out in these situations.

GN Field is your one get out of jail free card for situations like this. If they are balsy enough to try the melee again, try to punish with the shoulder cannons or the gerobi if you got it charged. If you're getting double locked, that may be another issue.

dwix

What are these types of games called? I'm sure Virtua On and Armored Core are part of it but ever since Dissidia, I've noticed these games more often.

This is the type of game I want for so many things now haha.

Final Fantasy Summons, Thundercats, Ninja Turtles...

...SoulCalibur

What are these types of games called? I'm sure Virtua On and Armored Core are part of it but ever since Dissidia, I've noticed these games more often.

...SoulCalibur

It’s classified as a fighting game, but Bamco has called the genre Team Battle Action.

You can say it's an arena fighting game, or 3D arena. It's not quiet like power stone which had power ups littered all over the place which would make map positioning and control even more important. Still I would say it's closer to that than just a 2D fighting game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Vust Valeo
1 hour ago
hey at least the kit easily falling apart is accurate to what happened in the anime courtesy of Heero Yuy's suicidal tactics.
lul

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I've been playing a bit of this the last couple of days.

I'm liking
S
Exia quite a bit.

Quebaz

...SoulCalibur

It's a 3D Arena Fighter.

Besides Virtual On and Dissidia there's Arms, J-Stars Victory VS, Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm, Saint Seiya Brave Soldiers, One Piece Burning Blood, the DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi/Raging Blast games and the recently announced Kamen Rider Climax Fighters.

How's the learning curve on this game? I play fighting games, but not 3D fighters and certainly never played a 3D Gundam game.

This game looks so cool though. I wanna try it. Gundam nostalgia in overdrive.

Friend of mine has a crazy idea.

"What if Sony released a peripheral that let HG kits work like amiibos for Gundam Versus?"

Crazy but would be neat.

The End

Friend of mine has a crazy idea.

"What if Sony released a peripheral that let HG kits work like amiibos for Gundam Versus?"

Crazy but would be neat.

Nah nah nah

completely new set of blind-box amiibo-scale toys

make it a big crossover game like the old A.C.E games

they'd make a killing

Been trying that, and rooms literally don't show up for me. I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong there
Thats odd, you do say there is alot of lag. Some questions
Are you wired or wifi?
Is your router set up properly?
What is your isp? (Your up/down and ms, use computer to check)
Network Test ps4 to see what nat type.
Just trying to narrow it down and see if we can find a solution.

Kikirin

How's the learning curve on this game? I play fighting games, but not 3D fighters and certainly never played a 3D Gundam game.

I came from a similar background although with some experience playing non-competitive Virtual-On in my teens, and the transition hasn't been bad for me at all.

Mechanically, using your individual attack and basic movement options isn't hard. There's a step up in execution when you start integrating movement cancels to avoid attack and landing recovery, and also when combining different movement options to cover ground more safely and efficiently. But overall, execution isn't particularly difficult.

The mindset or approach to attacking can be considerably different though. The main thing to keep in mind is that the game is generally less focused on combos and mixups and block-and-punish, and more about movement and positioning. Movement is both offense and defense: attacks are avoided by outspeeding them or cutting their tracking, and moving in at an opportune time or angle lets you land attacks that the opponent is less likely to avoid.

You'll likely have an easier time easing into it if you've played anime/poverty fighters like the Touhou fighters, Acceleration of Suguri, or maybe even Arcana Heart. In terms of mainstream comparisons, Smash would be somewhat analogous in terms of how the neutral flows.

It's a very easy game to pick up as far as execution goes. Everything is easy to do and pull off. So no issues there.

The real learning curve comes from positioning, managing your boost meter and ammo, and also learning how to properly punish landings. On top of that, it's also a team game so you have to cooperate and prioritize the appropriate targets. It takes a bit to get used to everything, and it can be very frustrating at first. I was initially very frustrated before it finally clicked with me when I used to play EXVS. But, if you think it looks cool, definitely give it a shot. With the Western release there's plenty of new players online who are still learning how to play, so it's the best time to jump in.

If I'm searching for/creating a lobby, is there a place that's more active than the others?

Bandai Namco have the annoying habit of adding like 500 lobby combinations to their games, and I never know where to look.

If I'm searching for/creating a lobby, is there a place that's more active than the others?

Bandai Namco have the annoying habit of adding like 500 lobby combinations to their games, and I never know where to look.

Casuals are more abundant than others if you're looking at Western lobbies, but you'll probably have more of a hit/miss with the connections. Extreme servers tend to be up for way longer since that's where the vets are have stricter conditions.

At some point this weekend when I get back from a business trip, I'll try to host a GAF room.

Casuals are more abundant than others if you're looking at Western lobbies, but you'll probably have more of a hit/miss with the connections. Extreme servers tend to be up for way longer since that's where the vets are have stricter conditions.

At some point this weekend when I get back from a business trip, I'll try to host a GAF room.

Right, I'll probably check the Extreme servers then, as I'd sooner get destroyed by someone on a good connection than fight a beginner like me on a poor one.

If I have to chance, I'd be down to join a GAF lobby. I'm in the UK, but I'm on a 100mb fibre connection and wired, so hopefully that should be alright on my end.

DunpealD

Is this game balanced for 1v1? The game is unplayable laggy for me in 2v2

I probably have that same problem as you do. Been having that since the jpn release with no fix in sight.

You should probably try lobbies with better connections and look at the indicator in the match to see if it's regressing to 1 bar, regardless of connection quality of others. In my case even if all have at least 3 o 4 bars it turns into an 1 bar lagfest.

EDIT:
I really like 1v1. I prefer it over 3v3.

It's most likely not balanced. Usually the team aspect should help out in terms of bad matchups. There are probably units that can run circles around others.

Does anyone know of a guide for all the unlockables?

It's most likely not balanced. Usually the team aspect should help out in terms of bad matchups. There are probably units that can run circles around others.

I totally agree. For me, 1v1 really helps me get grip on each Gundam's play style. Plus there is way less lag.

For anyone following my posts, I decided to pick Deathscythe back up and discovered his b+melee (I haven't learned how to write the notations yet). How effective is that in a player vs player battle? I love it against AI.

For the record, I have not played against a human since starting. I'm feeling my way around without getting embarrassed online haha.

Also, I liked the way Delta Plus plays.

For anyone following my posts, I decided to pick Deathscythe back up and discovered his b+melee (I haven't learned how to write the notations yet). How effective is that in a player vs player battle? I love it against AI.

For the record, I have not played against a human since starting. I'm feeling my way around without getting embarrassed online haha.
Don't worry about getting embarrassed online. Matches are so fast there's not enough time to stew in defeat. Just jump into casual and get your trial by fire going sir!

Vallen

Neo Member
This is my first Gundam Versus game, and it's quite good (considering I only played Gundam Musou in the past for my Gundam-game-needs). This might be a silly question, but I've been re-mapping controls a little, is there a way to assign "block" to a single button rather than the down-up input?

Luigi87

This is my first Gundam Versus game, and it's quite good (considering I only played Gundam Musou in the past for my Gundam-game-needs). This might be a silly question, but I've been re-mapping controls a little, is there a way to assign "block" to a single button rather than the down-up input?

No, the Down-Up input is the only method of using the block ability.

Also, I liked the way Delta Plus plays.
I haven't played Deathscythe much in this game but he was one of my go-to melee suits in the last one. His main melee move to use at neutral is his boost dash forward melee. It is fast and stuns on hit so abuse it wherever you can. After that you can do a melee combo while they are frozen. Generally, I liked to do his 6B(side melee) string and then input 2B (down melee) for the cinematic finisher. Not sure if it's his best damage offhand, but it's pretty effective and easy to remember.

His charged Main seems pretty good in this game too. Especially for opponents waking up off the ground. After throwing it you can boost dash and harrass them.

Top Bottom