• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Versus |OT| The World, Western release out now!

Tried a new control scheme last night, kept fumbling because of my muscle memory with the default.

Went back, and fumbled around because those two games with the new control scheme broke me haha.

Eventually went back to the new custom layout and I'm getting the hang of it. Just looking at it as learning the game again with a bit more of a heads up on what to do.

Thinking about getting this. How is the population on PS4?

If we compare it to lawbreakers.... Then its doing very well lol... (Bad joke I hope it can bounce back)
Rooms are always up with 10+ players separated by worldwide and region,
As mentioned before rank can take time depending on the hour of the day.
But when that happens i change to worldwide and get games in seconds.

Thing is when it comes to this game it will always have people just like full boost before it
I am not scare it will vanish anytime soon. Also looks like stream numbers are ok so that
helps keep interest up.

Thinking about getting this. How is the population on PS4?
1 V 1 Casual you can usually find a game very fast. 2 V 2 Casual it takes a bit longer but not too long. 3 V 3 Casual does takes some time but you can get lucky but it has a higher chance of being laggy. There are still plenty of private matches even now.

It's funny how my first online match was a slideshow but ever since, it's been a buttery smooth experience. Even playing with a yellow bar.

Edit: although there have been the annoying failing to sync moments that kill your mojo when on a hot streak.

It's funny how my first online match was a slideshow but ever since, it's been a buttery smooth experience. Even playing with a yellow bar.

Edit: although there have been the annoying failing to sync moments that kill your mojo when on a hot streak.

Going to take it that wifi warriors are leaving the game or converted to wired.
Ethernet heroes even with 2 bar are worth playing with.
Small delay > slideshow with blue bars

I'm curious what I show up as. I'm wired, but Tekken 7 showed me as wifi. Not sure why.
I would love to check but at work lol.
Maybe we can partner and see how it plays out :D

Edit: errp well you will show up the same as the other player.
So if you are blue with him then he sees you as blue...
Only if i am wrong
Edit2.0: also game does not show if wired or wifi if it did i would cry with joy

I would love to check but at work lol.
Maybe we can partner and see how it plays out :D

Edit: errp well you will show up the same as the other player.
So if you are blue with him then he sees you as blue...
Only if i am wrong
Edit2.0: also game does not show if wired or wifi if it did i would cry with joy
That's right, it doesn't show wired vs wifi, not sure why I brought that up haha. (Edit: well I guess I'm curious of my connection because on tests it's decent but if Tekken says "wifi", I'm wondering if this says I'm low bar? People are partnering up with me so I guess I'm ok.)

But your other point, I've seen all different types of bars in the rooms, how does what you said make sense? Or will it change to match the partner? I don't understand.

That's right, it doesn't show wired vs wifi, not sure why I brought that up haha.

But your other point, I've seen all different types of bars in the rooms, how does what you said make sense? Or will it change to match the partner? I don't understand.

I believe it works per player not for the whole room.
So if someone in the room is red with you, then just both you see each other as red.
They may be blue with the host or other players.
This from what i seen playing in diff rooms on stream.

I believe it works per player not for the whole room.
So if someone in the room is red with you, then just both you see each other as red.
They may be blue with the host or other players.
This from what i seen playing in diff rooms on stream.
Ah gotcha. Well it doesn't seem to be an issue so I don't need to worry about it yet.

Added Tallgeese II to my level 20 list and I'm still struggling to find a reason for him being a 400 compared to Tallgeese I's 300.
Tallgeese II is my 400 main and after the baby buff he got i think he is worthy of 400.
Constant charge shots in neutral mixing in with AB to shot and control direction make him pretty good at range.
TGII beats TG in melee and baiting the counter really helps (also the ez 2AB to shot melee is too good also).
Other than that, compared to other 400 he is lacking in tools so the buff given csA really helps.
I would of liked if he was a tier up for boosting,
As it stands he is on the same level as TG with only moving up when he uses AC.

Tallgeese II is my 400 main and after the baby buff he got i think he is worthy of 400.
Constant charge shots in neutral mixing in with AB to shot and control direction make him pretty good at range.
TGII beats TG in melee and baiting the counter really helps (also the ez 2AB to shot melee is too good also).
Other than that, compared to other 400 he is lacking in tools so the buff given csA really helps.
I would of liked if he was a tier up for boosting,
As it stands he is on the same level as TG with only moving up when he uses AC.
Idk, TGI has II beat in terms of tools. He's got the rolling special shot that, very importantly, doesn't consume primary ammo, and a sub shot that stuns and also has it's own ammo. He's got vernier boosting making him very zippy (all the time) and a unique fast fall, along with an actually usable awakening attack if you need it.

TGII definitely has stronger melee, but I's isn't exactly horrible and I don't think it outweighs the vastly diminished ranged game. Charge shot is okay, but nowhere near as good as full/maxi since step dive makes all projectiles with windup waaaay harder to hit, plus TGI has almost the same one. The install seems a lot less dramatic than it used to be (it's kinda unfair to compare I guess since TGII was OP in FB), you get sorta faster for 15 measly seconds and get an average-ish command dash. Compare to another 400 like Pale Rider, where HADES gives you improved damage and mobility for 25 seconds and gives you a command dash with projectile armor. I won't knock a counter, but I'd hardly say it's a reason to bump a suit up a tier.

I don't think he's bad or anything and obviously I enjoy playing him since I got him to 20, but he ain't got no business being 400 when TGI is 300.

Idk, TGI has II beat in terms of tools. He's got the rolling special shot that, very importantly, doesn't consume primary ammo, and a sub shot that stuns and also has it's own ammo. He's got vernier boosting making him very zippy (all the time) and a unique fast fall, along with an actually usable awakening attack if you need it.

TGII definitely has stronger melee, but I's isn't exactly horrible and I don't think it outweighs the vastly diminished ranged game. Charge shot is okay, but nowhere near as good as full/maxi since step dive makes all projectiles with windup waaaay harder to hit, plus TGI has almost the same one. The install seems a lot less dramatic than it used to be (it's kinda unfair to compare I guess since TGII was OP in FB), you get sorta faster for 15 measly seconds and get an average-ish command dash. Compare to another 400 like Pale Rider, where HADES gives you improved damage and mobility for 25 seconds and gives you a command dash with projectile armor. I won't knock a counter, but I'd hardly say it's a reason to bump a suit up a tier.

I don't think he's bad or anything and obviously I enjoy playing him since I got him to 20, but he ain't got no business being 400 when TGI is 300.
I agree with you for most of it, but i do like its awaken attack. I use it when someone is cornered or i am being chased into a corner >.> other than that it has gotten me killed a few times
TGII is the second lowest 400 in the tier list...which is ok since its B (thats not saying much lol)
Also pale rider is amazing hahaha, leveling her up to 20 atm.

Kalentan

So when the Barbatos just goes on you with melee are you supposed to just take it? Or is there any escape?

Edit: Honestly feels like the game just is not balanced correctly around damage vs Suit cost.

You got suits that cost super little that can do a lot of damage and makes it night impossible for high suit costs to win since you have to somehow kill them like 4 times and they only have to kill you twice AND you spawn with half health on your second life.

Will keep practicing but it's frustrating.

Edit: Yeah, I legit regret buying this. The online community is just full of the most try hard fuckers who play the cheesiest Gundams. Every match is them acting incredibly sparatic

So when the Barbatos just goes on you with melee are you supposed to just take it? Or is there any escape?

Edit: Honestly feels like the game just is not balanced correctly around damage vs Suit cost.

You got suits that cost super little that can do a lot of damage and makes it night impossible for high suit costs to win since you have to somehow kill them like 4 times and they only have to kill you twice AND you spawn with half health on your second life.

the higher the cost the more boost and starting HP. So pretty much kite and make them thirst for that melee... Then shot them since they prob used tons of boost to even get there.
Pay attention to how they are approaching, and if you see them land with huge boost lag or even the green thunder then you know they suck at boost management.
Grab an assist that is anty melee or face the melee head on with higher priority melee if your suit has that option.
Since you have more boost take advantege of it, the more they rainbow step and desperately try to get in the more open they become.
You lose if you boost with them (not land and refresh boost), make sure to boost step dive and keep that boost meter UP.
Not sure what else to add hahaha

Edit: Yeah, I legit regret buying this. The online community is just full of the most try hard fuckers who play the cheesiest Gundams. Every match is them acting incredibly sparatic

If you're being combo'd, then yeah, you gotta hold it. If you have enough meter to go into Awakening, you can use it as a combo breaker. Otherwise, use your comm button, it's there for a reason. It is a team game, so if you're getting mauled, have your partner get them off you.

Guessing you mean the finisher Barbatos Lupus has? It does a lot of damage but ideally your partner should have enough wits about him to notice that there's an enemy standing dead ass still for like fifteen seconds that he can shoot. If you're playing 1v1 then I guess you just gotta hold the L, that's why it's a 2v2 game.

The 500's all have very good tools and big boy damage, but the trade off is the cost. If you die a lot then you should not use them. And at the end of the day all that matters is who ever has more skill, if picking a 500 meant you'd never lose to a 2/300 then no one would ever pick anything else. Overall I feel like the tiers are better balanced in this game than they were in Full Boost (didn't play Maxi long enough to get a feel for that); this extends to the general balance too, there aren't any cheesy units except maybe Virtue... Kinda.

Btw, I've gotten a few people into this series and a short period of deep despair and regret is pretty much guaranteed right before you start to figure it out.

I don't mind losing. I don't mind being a scrubby noob....

But I HATE getting in the 3000s when everyone else is above. That's the only time I get angry haha.

I lie. I hate how others can seemingly endlessly combo and I get locked out after not many hits (in comparison). Not cool.

But I HATE getting in the 3000s when everyone else is above. That's the only time I get angry haha.

"3000s?" You mean the end-of-match score? That has absolutely no effect in the game and is a terribly unreliable means of gauging progress in a match.

Sure, you can tell by a 10,000+ score that a player pretty much killed everything and didn't die once, but that says nothing of the behavior of the partner, who might've played a huge part in making that happen.

P.S. True indignity was when you could be in 1st place scorewise, but lost the match back in Full Boost.

Well you guys are helping but my other point stands haha.

I hate how others can seemingly endlessly combo and I get locked out after not many hits (in comparison). Not cool.

Eh. It really depends on the suit you play. Most suits are gonna be doing 5 hit combos for roughly the same damage unless you play specific melee ones. And, I imagine you're referring to both Barbatos and Epyon when you say "endlessly combo."

Sure, you can play those and do the same thing, except that you have to remember those combos keep you locked in place way longer and leave you way more vulnerable to the other enemy's retaliation.

Does this game have character archetypes like a SF or GG? On guessing there's prob like a heavy range focus, all around and maybe close range/melee? Are there mobile suits that kinda teach you the game like how a Ryu or a guile would?

Eh. It really depends on the suit you play. Most suits are gonna be doing 5 hit combos for roughly the same damage unless you play specific melee ones. And, I imagine you're referring to both Barbatos and Epyon when you say "endlessly combo."

Sure, you can play those and do the same thing, except that you have to remember those combos keep you locked in place way longer and leave you way more vulnerable to the other enemy's retaliation.
No, I mean real combos. I've been maining DeathScythe so I've come to understand the importance of melee comboing. They send me flying and seem to get right back on me while I'm stuck looking at "can't touch this" more often than not.

Wait... is it because I always try to boost out of my immobility that keeps me in play? I ask because I've recently found that when I remain idle after a knockdown, I don't immediately get back up. Is this a thing? Should I be "playing dead"?

No, I mean real combos. I've been maining DeathScythe so I've come to understand the importance of melee comboing. They send me flying and seem to get right back on me while I'm stuck looking at "can't touch this" more often than not.

Wait... is it because I always try to boost out of my immobility that keeps me in play? I ask because I've recently found that when I remain idle after a knockdown, I don't immediately get back up. Is this a thing? Should I be "playing dead"?

Oh, so you're referring to more wakeup and reset situations, if I'm not mistaken? If so, you'll want to side/backstep more to cut tracking on melee advances. Just shy of getting hit, the worst case scenario is where you and the other guy engage in a rainbow step war where you both keep whiffing each other until someone runs out of boost. But to avoid that situation, you'll definitely want to create space between you and the other guy. This is where getting ready to step evade or rise straight up into the sky after you wake up from downed state comes into play.

And yes, if you don't touch any controls while you're downed, you stay prone for a while longer. It only really works if your partner knows you're being camped and is on their way to save you.

JKTrix

I recommend joining the Discord server that some of us are in, if you catch us at a good time we can help you out. Quote this post for a link to get you there (for the next 24 hours at least)

Does this game have character archetypes like a SF or GG? On guessing there's prob like a heavy range focus, all around and maybe close range/melee? Are there mobile suits that kinda teach you the game like how a Ryu or a guile would?

Yes. There are some Very Unique outliers but a lot of the characters fit into a general 'style' with a few unique tweaks of their own.

The End

Virtue should really be a 400 point suit between his ranged options and his speed once you armor break. At 300 it's just a ridiculous value.

Showed off the game a lot to company today but they're not the types to be into this kind of game. One friend seemed interested in the matches and commented on the blows and outcomes. Made for a fun time.

Kalentan

Getting a little bit better but still feels very late stage in life FPS where it's hard to get in because everyone else has already been playing for a long time (which considering it seems like a lot of people imported, make sense.)

I do wish they had done a better translation job. It seems so barebones. I understand some Gundam Series may not have English translated logos but a lot of them do and so when SEED, 00, and Iron Blooded Orphans are using their Japanese logos in the Western release that just screams laziness.

Hell, they didn't even bother to translate the BGM's you can pick. Which again have English translations already...

Not having English voices as a choice is also a real downer. Takes away the fun of playing some of my favorite suits when it's a voice actor I don't recognize.

Mu La Flaga's Japanese voice just does not fit him at all. Makes him sound significantly older than he is. His English VO was perfect. :(

Getting a little bit better but still feels very late stage in life FPS where it's hard to get in because everyone else has already been playing for a long time (which considering it seems like a lot of people imported, make sense.)

I do wish they had done a better translation job. It seems so barebones. I understand some Gundam Series may not have English translated logos but a lot of them do and so when SEED, 00, and Iron Blooded Orphans are using their Japanese logos in the Western release that just screams laziness.

Hell, they didn't even bother to translate the BGM's you can pick. Which again have English translations already...

Not having English voices as a choice is also a real downer. Takes away the fun of playing some of my favorite suits when it's a voice actor I don't recognize.

Mu La Flaga's Japanese voice just does not fit him at all. Makes him sound significantly older than he is. His English VO was perfect. :(
I just made this comment with my company. How lazy the western port was. None of it is important content, but if you're trying to capture a western audience, it might have been beneficial? Subtitles during the trial opening videos at least.

Bombless

I just made this comment with my company. How lazy the western port was. None of it is important content, but if you're trying to capture a western audience, it might have been beneficial? Subtitles during the trial opening videos at least.

Speaking of trial intro videos, they're also barebones compared to the stuff in EXVS. They're static images with some camera movement thrown into, I was kinda disappointed with it.

EX VS intros

Gundam VS intros

Bombless

Wait... Hold up...

Gundam Extreme VS Full Boost had...

SEED, SEED Destiny, and even fucking Astray?

What the fuck Gundam Versus. I want that all of that.

It had my favourite mobile suit ever in it too.

274921309849255936_35s_d.jpg

Kalentan

I’ve been playing a lot of the Strike. Now that I’ve learned his weapon change I’ve been doing better but still is tough sometimes. Currently 4-1 in Ranked.

Shinn can fuck off but... So many good suits there that are missing from Versus. :(

Like seriously, why the fuck is the Justice not in this game?

They the Buster as DLC before they release the Justice or even Infinite Justice?

I think most of the complaints about the roster are silly considering it comes with like 90 suits to start....but yeah the exclusion of Justice is some bullshit.
Especially since they have a ton of SEED units included, but not the one main rival suit.

And yes, Buster getting a DLC release before Justice is some straight bullshit.

Top Bottom