• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy asks for a new Road Rash on Reddit, Dan Geisler responds that he wants to do it

Shinta

Banned
Road Rash 64 was awesome. But I've sworn off EA except for Mirror's Edge 2, so I hope they just make it a new IP.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Could call it Roads before Toads! ;)

I still have fond memories of picking up Road Rash 3DO. The split paths, heading the wrong way down a one way street. It was the last great Road Rash. From memory they really botched up the PSX version/sequel.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Was this guy involved in any capacity with 3DO RR? I love that game and play the pc port all the time. I would back this.

hymanator

I still have to get my Road Rash fix on the 3do version from time to time. Road Rash 3d and Jailbreak on ps1 wasn't too bad either. I didn't care for the N64 version because it forced all of the players to stay within an invisible bubble and spawned you in the middle of a bunch of racers for the sake of making it easy to fight other racers. That version felt like more of a fighting game. I would pay in advance on kickstarter for a sequel/reboot, this is a series that is long overdue.

bounchfx

been wanting a new road rash for freakin' years. I guess for anything to happen you need to summon the reddit hivemind.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
If one does get made I hope that it follows the same formula. A handful of short tracks that get longer each level, not some circuit based game like they did with NFS2 and 3/HP.

If one does get made I hope that it follows the same formula. A handful of short tracks that get longer each level, not some circuit based game like they did with NFS2 and 3/HP.

Yes. It needs awesome rock music. Similar style tracks. I wouldn't mind an FMV story NFS Underground 2 style. I don't want the weird art aesthetic from the 3DO/PSX game or later Road Rash games.

OrigiNull

What if they gave it to Criterion? Instead of slamming cars into walls its dudes on bikes with "next gen" Havok physics?

Arucardo

Road Rash is easily my most wanted sequel/reboot from the last 10 years or more. I'd kickstart this in a heartbeat.

At this point in 2013, I don't understand why estabilished developers haven't realized yet that Kickstarter is the solution to everything. If you really want it, put that shit on Kickstarter and let people speak with their wallets, for chrissakes.

Baleoce

At this point in 2013, I don't understand why estabilished developers haven't realized yet that Kickstarter is the solution to everything. If you really want it, put that shit on Kickstarter and let people speak with their wallets, for chrissakes.

I agree. It helps them bypass restrictive publishers too, and they know they have that money in the bank. All we ask is for a bit of business pedigree, and a presentation page that doesn't take the piss, and I will probably invest. Problem is that half of the major developers have IP that are held to ransom by publishers already. So it's not like they have a choice.

Was this guy involved in any capacity with 3DO RR? I love that game and play the pc port all the time. I would back this.

Nope. He did the first 3 on the Genesis and also did some work on the Sega CD version. He did not work on any of the 32-bit gen stuff.

I'd love this to happen. It'd be even more amazing if he could tempt Rob Hubbard back to do the music. The Road Rash games have some of the best music on the Mega Drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9313JkkD6U

Agree, bring back Hubbard for the music, or at least have somebody use the classic tunes as a base to work from.

Varg

Banned
My father bought a 3do for the definitive version of this game .... Truly awesome and surprisingly still holds up today . Would make a really good next gen title.

Metalmarc

Road rage? Hows that sound?

And please a new Skitchin'

And whilst we're at it the strike games, oh please bring them back

The series got me into motorcycles. A few actual road rashes and broken bones later I'd still buy a new entry of the series in a heartbeat.

Make it happen!

Gruso

Yes yes. Please yes. I'd like to see something along the lines of RR64, with its ridiculously fun focus on combat. The soundtrack should be actual rock covers of Hubbard's RRII music.

Spare us the Split/Second style spectacle, shooter style killstreaks/badges, and any other modern bullshit. Just give us bikes and bats.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Well, there was this which surfaced a few years ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvHz2u-33Y4 (I see this guy is talking Kickstarter too)

Road Rash was on a list of things EA was kicking around to reboot around 4 years ago.
Did you ever approach them about it? Or vice versa?

Anyways, I posted yesterday or something that there have supposedly been a few attempts at making a new Road Rash, all of which were cancelled—probably one every two or three years up until 2010.

Lotto

This thread made me want to listen to some Road Rash II jams. Good stuff. I don't expect much to come from this but if something does happen, neat. The only game I have on my Gamegear that's worth using 6 AA batteries on.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Did you ever approach them about it? Or vice versa?

Was part of a more general conversation about half a dozen IPs they were considering rebooting. We were looking to do our own IP, so those conversations never really went anywhere with us.

Gruso

Dan Geisler has posted some intriguing replies to the reddit discussion in the past few hours.

ErwinB said:
This would be the biggest game moment of the year if it would be started. You would make it even bigger by let us invest instead of donate: http://gambitious.com/
DGeisler said:
Its going to happen. Thanks dude.

lydeck said:
Oh good god yes. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
DGeisler said:
Ok. Shutting up now. Well not just yet. Im doing an AMA tomorrow.

wonderboy2402 said:
I would certainly pledge on a kickstarter for a road rash game. But please, keep the it mature and not kiddy it up with cartoony caricature players and bikes.
DGeisler said:

ImOnProbation said:
So long it has nothing to do with EA and you make it challenging, I'm keen as mustard!
DGeisler said:
I;; have to talk to my friends at EA probably. But they couldn't be involved in any design decisions at all. If that doesn't fly start thinking of another name. The key is the adrenaline rush.

Ge3d said:
How do we go about showing you we want it? WE WANT IT.
DGeisler said:
Coming right up sir!

http://www.reddit.com/user/DGeisler

Respawn

Banned
Sure EA would just put the roads and population per town in the clouds.

I would damn well love a new RoadRash either way.

AndyLonn

Road Rash is one of my all time favorite game series. I've played em all and Road Rash II is
my favorite. It was the first game I bought when I started reacquiring my Sega Genesis collection

If there's a kickstarter for this, I am so in.

Years ago, I honestly dreamt of and then put a little thought into my own remake of Road Rash and called it Two-Wheel Warriors, or 2WW. It was a glorious dream idea that blended Motocross Madness' point-to-point or enduro racing with procedural landscapes that generated a reasonably competitive highway course and allowed for riders to play on the risk and reward of tuning and equipping for off-road versus on-road handling, getting players to choose how off- or how on-road they could handle getting to the finish line in one piece instead of just sticking to the pre-made course. Even just having a modern take on the old trilogy would be an instant backing for me. I really hope this happens.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
After the SimCity debacle, I literally cannot get excited about any product that will have to come out of EA.

I still remember this post by LCfiner from 4 years ago. Got me so hyped for the Kinect and the future of gaming.
LCfiner said:
Road Rash

you put your hands up to steer your bike, steering through the turns. you're sitting on your couch, just cruising along.

suddenly, some bikers from a rival gang surround you. you need to take one hand off the handlebars and start punching he dude on your right. you begin to slow down slightly, so you must regain your hand position on the bars.

the dude on the left is getting closer. you switch hands and put your right hand back on the handlebars and then start elbowing the dude on the left, breaking his nose. you notice he has a chain whip hanging off the side of his bike. you reach down to grab it and then begin whipping both the bikers on the left and right of you while still attempting to maintain control over your bike.

If you're in first person view, the headtracking allows you to see the bikers up close but, be careful, while you're able to deal more damage by looking at the dudes beside you and landing better hits, you lose sight of the road and risk wiping out.

depending on how the racing/ fighting ratio is worked out, and the dynamics of the attack gestures, this could be the best game ever or the bestest game ever.

Ironmask

If EA will decide to reboot the franchise, they'll do a shitty facebook game with "create your gang! invite your friends!", in-app helmet purchases and fights cooldown timers :(

Tokubetsu

I know people shit their pants whenever they hear "Social integration", but a new Road Rash could be a game where they work. Imagine something along the lines of what Evolution is promising with Drive Club, only instead of car clubs you form motorcycle gangs and battle with other gangs online for control over parts of the big open-world city.

No. Always say no to open world racers. ALWAYS

Top Bottom