• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Says Rude Thing to Person, Gets Fired From Destructoid, Says More Rude Things

smik

twitter: Serious Business

Seriously look what the world is becoming, its was a act of stupidity and was most probably just trolling around in what most people do in the digital age, but come on. its was his own personal twitter account and not associated by name to Destructiod, to get PR blitz by his own employer to cover face is just plain fucking weak.

this shouldnt reflect the views of the website and dismiss his hard work he has done for all these years to get done by a twitter response, idk man... just weak.

people are getting way over sensitive

conman

Why gaming journalism will never hit off, you just can't ask them stupid hard hitting questions like you would see in any other entertainment industry.
The thing that keeps the gaming press from legitimacy is that it's financially dependent on the same industry that it covers. And that's true of most entertainment and technology press. Hence the term "enthusiast press." This is all a perfect example of their "enthusiasm." ;)

I was gonna take a shot at Jaffe, but then I thought about what he said and he's right. I almost knee-jerk reacted like I hate when other people do.

A dude lost his job over this? Wow.

The temperature and climate in the "industry" is getting to a scalding point. The Fighting game community, from the Lara Croft scene ( which is a non-issue in my eyes ) to the boys over at 4chan doing what they do to Anita/Feminist Frequency, the industry is soon going to become a hotbed of political correctness, and egg-shell tip toeing. I never understood the term "White Knight" I had never heard about it before a few months ago, but now I understand.

Attention all male journalists, say these things amongst your boys at the bar, or in your home, this nonsense is making you lose your livelihood now.

conman

Seriously look what the world is becoming, its was a act of stupidity and was most probably just trolling around in what most people do in the digital age, but come on. its was his own personal twitter account and not associated by name to Destructiod, to get PR blitz by his own employer to cover face is just plain fucking weak.

this shouldnt reflect the views of the website and dismiss his hard work he has done for all these years to get done by a twitter response, idk man... just weak.
Most people are smart enough (and humble enough) to realize that the internet is a public forum. If your work is tied to your name--and it almost always is--then what you say reflects directly on your employer. They're well within their rights to fire you; they have a name to protect, too.

Regardless, it takes a seriously misguided and overinflated ego to say stupid shit using your personal twitter account. Leave that idiocy to the real celebrities. You had better be sure you're famous and rich enough to get away with it. Otherwise, if you really want to say something stupid, use an alias or don't say anything at all.

Anteater

Well, I found the context of the tweet, and I think that Sterling is quite justified:

http://www.dessgeega.com/jimsterling_1.png[IMG]

From here: [URL="http://www.auntiepixelante.com/?p=912"]http://www.auntiepixelante.com/?p=912[/URL][/QUOTE]

lol what the fuck, that livejournal link [img]http://i.imgur.com/KuGsj.gif

spirity

people are getting way over sensitive

The way of the world these days. People just look for ways to get insulted. And more often than not, someone is getting insulted on behalf of someone else. We're all a bunch of pussies.

Someone is reading this shit right now thinking "how dare spirity say that". I fucking guarantee it.

Riposte

Fox News doesn't get journalism correct either, but no one claims world news-based journalism can't be done right.

You mean American journalism?

EDIT: It just makes me laugh how people think "serious" journalists hold some high standard videogame journos could never obtain... despite how messed up media is, in America at least.

A dude lost his job over this? Wow.

He lost his "job".

LiK

they fired him for that?

it's a rude dumb tweet but i've seen worse from other game journos about other people in the industry.

I'm surprised at so many people missing the very obvious takeaway here, which is hey, don't be an asshole. Regardless of where you work or what you do it's usually not in your interest to be an asshole. This is not unique to gaming or games journalism.

ElRenoRaven

First post strikes again.

I wanted to go into the enthusiast press but then I met them.

Also, I find Felicia Day oddly attractive.

Yup. Just shows you how many childish douche bags there are in the press. I could see him being an asshole if she had said something about him or done something to him. From what I can see she hadn't though. Also I agree she's hot. She's a redhead. Gotta love the reheads.

She also though seems like a genuine geek and just a cool person. Kind of like Alison Haislip. You see so many hot chicks that are such fakes about how they're geeks but those 2 just honestly seem legit.

I'm surprised at so many people missing the very obvious takeaway here, which is hey, don't be an asshole. Regardless of where you work or what you do it's usually not in your interest to be an asshole. This is not unique to gaming or games journalism.

Wrong! I'm sure if he said this about Bobby Kotick or Peter Molyneux he would still have a job.

hauton

I'm tired of talking about sexism in the games industry.

Why is this even being brought up?

He was overly vicious to an industry peer. He didn't tell her to make him a sandwich.

Now we're going on and on about Jim Sterling and trying to crucify him when half of us didn't know the disgusting context of what that girl posted in the first place.

NWS NWS

It's fucking priceless that she tags that filth with "new games journalism" while her boyfriend spouts bullshit about "journalistic integrity" while calling for Jim's head.

This self-inflicted witch hunt for misogyny is getting stupid. Like Jaffe said, if girls want to prove their equal, then they can defend themselves. We sure as hell don't need $500k kickstarters to make a documentary about it, ffs.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

It was a pretty legitimate question (despite his delivery), especially as he seemed to have absolutely no clue what she had done/ accomplished at that point.

So sure, he was an asshole for how he asked the question, but surely not one for actually asking the question.

If nothing else, it has helped me learn more about her myself.

LiK

we've seen way worse and those guys didn't lose their gigs over it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wrong! I'm sure if he said this about Bobby Kotick or Peter Molyneux he would still have a job.

I mean... the cool kids' perspective is that it's a male-dominated industry, so it doesn't matter if someone says shit about men... because things aren't equal for women, so you have to treat them differently.

Which... maybe it's because I'm not a sociologist who needs to find ways to pretend there's any value in my education, but that seems backwards.

I agree with him actually, about Day. Though, what's up with the 3 back to back comments?... and then attacking Wheaton?

Dude has a grudge or something.

hauton

It was a pretty legitimate question (despite his delivery), especially as he seemed to have absolutely no clue what she had done/ accomplished at that point.

So sure, he was an asshole for how he asked the question, but surely not one for actually asking the question.

If nothing else, it has helped me learn more about her myself.
You know what, I didn't know anything about her and I just looked her up on Wikipedia.

She acted on Buffy, made a web cartoon about games, and did a Dragon Age web series.

I mean, the bar for being in gaming journalism isn't exactly high but I'd be scratching my head too if I heard her name everywhere and saw her featured so prominently and that was her total body of work.

FStop7

Banned
The whole geek celebrity thing is painfully awkward to watch but just blowing up on someone like that out of nowhere? Weird and dumb.

The more and more people with social agendas infiltrate this industry, it will only be a matter of time that when games themselves are being discussed on the conceptual phase in the meeting room, there will be a check-list of dos-and-don'ts that won't offend. Eroding the creative process from the very thoughts of developers themselves at the base level.

I'm glad I'm old, and I possibly can't keep up with this hobby anymore. I always promised after I'm done with gaming I'm buying a boat. This industry will be a wasteland in 5 years because of these people.

False equivalence. Neither of those guys has a legion of vocal fans like she does.

Are you trolling me here? Sarcastic post.... I can't even tell anymore....I'm afraid to even think or reply anymore.

I'm really enjoying this. Video game "journalism" needed a good heel. Next thing you know he's going to do a run-in at the VGAs and throw salt in Geoff Keighley's face.

I agree with him actually, about Day. Though, what's up with the 3 back to back comments?... and then attacking Wheaton?

Dude has a grudge or something.

The knee-jerk reactions of him being an obvious sexist, misogynist are misguided. Clearly he's just an asshole. He might be those other things, but there's no proof of that here.

Shambles

lol gaming "journalism". Still a joke and a fake job done by tools looking to get hired by developers after licking their boots for a while. The only decent gaming media are the sites like GB that understand that they aren't journalists, they're entertainers.

LiK

The knee-jerk reactions of him being an obvious sexist, misogynist are misguided. Clearly he's just an asshole. He might be those other things, but there's no proof of that here.

judging from his tweets, just a guy trying to make dick tweets about someone.

looks like the Wheaton tweet is just testing the waters to see if fans will go after him there too.

dabig2

That proves his point. If the only reason you white knight is because you're a fan, then you're part of the problem.

I'm just explaining why Destructoid fired the intern over his comments.

How she gained those vocal fans is completely irrelevant to the fact that she possesses those fans.

What I don't get is why he gives so much of shit what Day does? She gets paid to do stuff, and he calls out her nerd creds.

I'm just explaining why Destructoid fired the intern over his comments.

How she gained those vocal fans is completely irrelevant to the fact that she possesses those fans.

But that's not what Jaffe or the guy you responded to are talking about. Jaffe wants to know why the white knights aren't inclined to support everyone being attacked. Why pick and choose based on looks and sex?

What I don't get is why he gives so much of shit what Day does? She gets paid to do stuff, and he calls out her nerd creds.

From the sound of it, he got irritated that people were talking about her. And that made him post his little rant. Clearly not the most mature person in the world. Shouldnt be a fireable offense.

conman

The more and more people with social agendas infiltrate this industry, it will only be a matter of time that when games themselves are being discussed on the conceptual phase in the meeting room, there will be a check-list of dos-and-don'ts that won't offend. Eroding the creative process from the very thoughts of developers themselves at the base level.
Because decent human beings would love nothing more than to force people into more and more meetings. We must be selling conference room furniture or something.

hurahn

Neo Member
So this is this woman everyone sweats. She's making a good living for herself, but isn't exactly turning the world on its' ear. I didn't even know what she looked like until I searched for her.

Doubt he's a misogynist. I agree with your post. In all honesty, Felicia Day is just a sex symbol to me, that's why I agree with his comment. What does she do? She's not funny, I don't think so at least... Anyway, yeah, he's probably just a dick.

I would love to know how the conversation went when they were telling him he was going to be let go.

Someone get the man a GAF account, I must know how hilarious that must have been.

FStop7

Banned

Wil Wheaton ‏@wilw
Until then, shut the fuck up and go back to your sad little lives, jerking off alone every night. Okay? Great. Thanks.

I love it when NerdLords pull the "you nerds" card so much. Like McElroy and Pachter did when they had their GAF fueled meltdowns.

LiK

I love it when NerdLords pull the "you nerds" card so much. Like McElroy and Pachter did when they had their GAF fueled meltdowns.

it's weird when nerd celebrities with fans who are nerds also decide to use nerd stereotype insults. it should be "go back and have sex with tons of girls, ya loser!"

ElRenoRaven

Jim attacking the woman in those tweets doesn't make him a misogynist. People need to stop throwing that word around so stupidly. It means he doesn't like HER. If I met Gloria Alred, I'd have to fight the urge to punch her in the face. That doesn't mean I want to punch all women in the face.

And in Jim's defense, her tweets were as bad or worse than his. And I don't even like Jim.

I agree there. While he's a dick I don't think he's a misogynist. Hell she was being a dick to him too. I do agree people are way to quick to throw that out labels on someone. Sometimes they just hate someone because of that person themselves. They're not always a racist, sexist, homaphobe, etc, etc because they attacked someone. It's when someone shows a history of attacks against someone of a demographic that they should then be labeled. Not when they just randomly attack one person.

Again though yea the guys a dick. No debating that.

scitek

So this is this woman everyone sweats. She's making a good living for herself, but isn't exactly turning the world on its' ear. I didn't even know what she looked like until I searched for her.

People get annoyed with her because they often feel she's only as popular as she is because she's an (not really in my opinion, but in others') attractive woman that is popular because she plays to a crowd that's notoriously stereotyped as being socially awkward with women. I've seen people compare Day to Olivia Munn,but I don't know if that's fair.

Munn is an absolute attention whore that will do just about anything to get what she wants, and she's not funny or talented in the least from what I've seen. A lot of the hate Day gets is just a side-effect of her being a pretty girl that's actually ASKED to comment on things, and appear at conventions in an industry that's run by immature men and aimed at 15-year-old boys.

Brinbe

Just endless hilarity all-around. She doesn't have to respond or care (because fuck if she should), and look at all this shit that happens, so stupid.

Damn, this dude is getting a thrashing from all angles. From Felicia White Knights, to angered females. Damn. Hate to be him right now. He seems to be holding up well tho'

Wow, people are classifying what he said about this Felicia person as hate speech? Wow.

I gotta be honest, I always get these two people confused (and apparently they both have a huge fanbase):

Veronica_belmont.jpg

thumb.php

They look the same to me. One of them is Veronica Belmont, btw.

Damn, this dude is getting a thrashing from all angles. From Felicia White Knights, to angered females. Damn. Hate to be him right now. He seems to be holding up well tho'

Ever see the movie PCU starring Jeremy Piven? He has a great line about campus activists and how they latch onto a cause really tightly, and then abandon it a week later for some new cause. This guy probably understands that so he's enjoying his "fame" while it lasts.

kaf

Not the first time he's done stuff like this. It's the first time it's blown up like this though

Top Bottom