• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Says Rude Thing to Person, Gets Fired From Destructoid, Says More Rude Things

Damn, this dude is getting a thrashing from all angles. From Felicia White Knights, to angered females. Damn. Hate to be him right now. He seems to be holding up well tho'

If it wasn't for the whole firing thing I would be laughing at the absurdity of this whole fiasco if I were in his position.

But, honestly I don't care either way. I hadn't heard of the girl before this incident and I care even less about her now that I know who she is (same with the random schmo blogger).

Kinyou

This self-inflicted witch hunt for misogyny is getting stupid. Like Jaffe said, if girls want to prove their equal, then they can defend themselves. We sure as hell don't need $500k kickstarters to make a documentary about it, ffs.
Uh... where did that come from all of the sudden? The documentary is not about how game journalists treat women.

I gotta be honest, I always get these two people confused (and apparently they both have a huge fanbase):

Veronica_belmont.jpg

thumb.php

They look the same to me. One of them is Veronica Belmont, btw.
Though I think Belmont doesn't even get a fraction of the hate that Felicia Day gets.

Well I basically I agree with the dude. I don't think Felicia Day has any substantial talent of note and is only 'famous' because her presence satisfies a certain unfulfilled void. That's fine though, I wouldn't say that she gets on my nerves particularly, and I wish her the best in her career and etc. etc..

When you are a public voice of a media company, you do have to be careful with what you say. I mean, it's really just general service industry 101. I think firing the dude as a response to this sole instance is absurd, but I don't know what his history with the company is.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
She must get tons of tweets similar to that every day.

It seems weird to single this guy out. I don't like how she had a friend do it on her behalf, though.

If you're not happy with something, ignore it or confront it head-on. Getting internet friends to defend you is kinda pathetic.

dabig2

But that's not what Jaffe or the guy you responded to are talking about. Jaffe wants to know why the white knights aren't inclined to support everyone being attacked. Why pick and choose based on looks and sex?

That's the thing, you can find plenty of examples that destroy this strawman. Anyone that is popular, whether they possess a vagina or not, will have legions of fans defending their honor.

See Chris Brown, Carmelo, Kobe, Amar'e, etc.

spirity

That's the thing, you can find plenty of examples that destroy this strawman. Anyone that is popular, whether they possess a vagina or not, will have legions of fans defending their honor.

See Chris Brown, Carmelo, Kobe, Amar'e, etc.

mgs4, ff13, blizzard....

Lancehead

I have a little sister, and when she and her mass of friends get together to go to the beach, do their hair or go to the mall, and worse I have to drive the whole gang there. I can tell you, that is 100% true.

The women under 30 I'm acquainted with resemble nothing of his stupid conclusions at all. His words are plain insulting.

It seems weird to single this guy out. I don't like how she had a friend do it on her behalf, though.

If you're not happy with something, ignore it or confront it head-on. Getting internet friends to defend you is kinda pathetic.

Where did you get the idea that Day asked her friend to defend?

To be fair, if you're interning at a games blog that comments on games culture and video games then you kinda should know who Felicia Day is.

I don't think he should have been fired but an apology should have been issues and Dtoid should have been more diplomatic. Think they were too quick to fire him.

Not that I'm condoning his words. He said a stupid thing. Dtoid staff have said a lot of stupid shit though. Jim Sterling basically said Konami was falling apart and called some girl a feminazi but he's kept his job.

I just think that Dtoid has a lot of sexist bullcrap on their website and it's a bit weird for them to jump on the feminism train.

Guy said stupid shit about a girl with a lot of twitter followers. White knights at the ready!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

The stupid in this post is overwhelming.

Takuan

Perhaps they were waiting for a reason to can him? Doesn't exactly sound like a thrill to work with or to even be around.

Eidan

Felicia Day is one of the least offensive personalities out there. Not sure why anyone would have issues with her.

I also don't think her "worth" to gaming would even be considered if she were a man.

MisterHero

Nothing against Felicia Day but her role in a Zelda parody wasn't that funny

probably because the whole thing wasn't funny

She's probably very nice otherwise

Shurs

Felicia Day is one of the least offensive personalities out there. Not sure why anyone would have issues with her.

I also don't think her "worth" to gaming would even be considered if she were a man.

I think it has to do with her persona being built upon geek cliches.

I've seen a few videos of her after learning of the debacle, she's quite offensive in a non-offensive way, but what do I know? I'm a cynical dinosaur, everyone likes something, some people think Tyler Perry's movies are funny ( before you guys even go there, there are many in the African American community that look down on his work as buffoonery and exploitation ), but it is what it is.

To me, his only mistake was making more than one comment, leave a broad sweeping random generalisation and be done, he packed on two or three more than necessary.

No great love for Felicia Day, but what's this guy's problem? Apology or no, what was he trying to prove? How much does he think he contributes to gaming culture? Petty? Yes. Childish? Yes. Misogynistic? Yeah, probably.

Eidan

I've seen a few videos of her after learning of the debacle, she's quite offensive in a non-offensive way, but what do I know? I'm a cynical dinosaur, everyone likes something, some people think Tyler Perry's movies are funny ( before you guys even go there, there are many in the African American community that look down on his work as buffoonery and exploitation ), but it is what it is.

To me, his only mistake was making more than one comment, leave a broad sweeping random generalisation and be done, he packed on two or three more than necessary.

What offended you?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
After reading this thread...

it just confirms that I've always thought that Twitter is fucking a middle schooler passing notes in class. What the fuck, how does anyone even read Twitter? It's a freaking mess, everyone writes like they are a damn 13 year old girl.

Seriously, people get what they get for even Tweeting their bullshit on Twitter. I don't even know why anyone professional would even have an account.

I think the problem is because she's a woman who built her persona upon geek cliches.

Doubt it. Sounds like he'll go after anyone for any reason.

What offended you?

That she got the voice-over job on New Vegas over someone that could have done a good job with it. And I'm just going to assume she got the job because she's Felicia Day, not because she's a good voice-over actress (she's not). Not really offended, but annoyed. She was bad. Hiring on name/reputation alone happens across both genders though, and it's equally lame.

Everyone knows who Felicia Day is. I don't understand why people pretend not to. Is it to convince GAF that you're cooly detached and above such things?

I don't really care about the issue one way or the other, but why did he have to single her out? The OP states that no incident occurred for him to go after her. I'm sure there are a ton of people that don't really contribute to the gaming industry in a meaningful way, but why single her out? Just seems like a dick move to me and a stupid thing to argue about. Maybe he feels inferior some way.

Edit: Why is Day at the top of the list of people who supposedly don't contribute to gaming and needs to be brought down a peg or two?

Mumei

I have a little sister, and when she and her mass of friends get together to go to the beach, do their hair or go to the mall, and worse I have to drive the whole gang there. I can tell you, that is 100% true.

He was saying that not just about young teenagers who still need their older brother to drive them, but also about women in their 20s. And inane chatter is something that nearly all children and younger teenagers share; it isn't peculiar to girls.

He was definitely justified. Anytime you're in a one-on-one personal argument with somebody, you always go for blood. Being politically correct is the last thing on your mind.

I'm always reminded of this bit from Chris Rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we-zND9Ihes#t=1m12s

I disagree, at least in the context this conversation took place in. I can understand becoming angry and saying something mean or hurtful out of a desire to hurt someone when you're in an argument in person. But I don't understand that when it happens online. When you're having an argument online, you have as long as you want to stop and think about what message you are sending out. You can choose your words carefully, so that whatever you say should be how you wanted to say it. If you're that angry that you want to insult someone like that - and I know the feeling - you need to step back and wait until you're in a better place to respond well.

And if the other person is being unreasonable or failing to reciprocate your decency, better to just drop it and move on.

Why is your kitten not in your profile picture? :mad:

Everyone knows who Felicia Day is. I don't understand why people pretend not to. Is it to convince GAF that you're cooly detatched and above such things?

Is she really this famous? I honestly didn't know who she was until someone mentioned a couple of videos she was in. The videos weren't even that great. Why am I expected to know who she was?

Though I think Belmont doesn't even get a fraction of the hate that Felicia Day gets.

isnt veronica belmont just a journalist? i think a lot of felicia days hate comes from her goofy videos or whatever else she does in addition to hosting shows

that ryan dudes comments were unnecessary but gaming journalists *shrug*

Eidan

I dunno.

You see the same sort of dislike on GAF for stuff like The Big Bang Theory.

Fair point. I'm just used to gamers harshly criticizing any female personality who expresses a genuine interest in gaming. Women have to somehow work harder to prove their authenticity. I wonder if anyone ever questioned Adam Sessler's authenticity or worth. They certainly questioned Morgan Webb''s.

lol, literally every time IGN or Kotaku write an article you'll get pages and pages of people shitting on the person who wrote it and whatnot. People call out men at all the time for tons of random shit. It just doesn't get noticed as a big deal because it's so normal.

I don't agree with his wording, and he sounds like a dumb dude for continuing to talk shit, but I don't "get" Day either, same way I don't "get" Chobot. But hey I can't even lie, if I could get their jobs (whatever their jobs are, I don't follow them enough to know these days), I'd do it in a heartbeat.*

*note, I was going to say "but I'm probably not cute enough" at the end of that statement but I didn't want GAF to flip out. Also I definitely am cute enough, so it would have been a lie :)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
He said a lot more than that.

He didn't have the best choice of words, obviously, but it's just... kinda mind-blowing to see someone act like girls don't have a tendency to talk everyone around them's heads off. Not always, of course - have to have that disclaimer - but yeah, they kinda do.

ahem, but man, the guy just comes out swinging every time he's mad about something. He's gotta slow his roll, and quick.

Emitan

isnt veronica belmont just a journalist? i think a lot of felicia days hate comes from her goofy videos or whatever else she does in addition to hosting shows

that ryan dudes comments were unnecessary but gaming journalists *shrug*

All I know about Belmont is she has a sci fi and fantasy novel podcast I've listened to a few times and like.

He didn't have the best choice of words, obviously, but it's just... kinda mind-blowing to see someone act like girls don't have a tendency to talk everyone around them's heads off. Not always, of course - have to have that disclaimer - but yeah, they kinda do.
"Not always, of course - have to have that disclaimer - but yeah, they kinda do." is basically destroying your entire point. SOME GIRLS talk a lot, others don't. I'm introverted so I'm never going to. Stop making ignorant blanket statements about half the population.

Top Bottom