• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Says Rude Thing to Person, Gets Fired From Destructoid, Says More Rude Things

Is she really this famous? I honestly didn't know who she was until someone mentioned a couple of videos she was in. The videos weren't even that great. Why am I expected to know who she was?

It's not like you're obligated or anything. I just can't comprehend how someone can frequent the gaming side of GAF without finding out who she is. Maybe I just assume she's more ubiquitous than she really is.

Kinyou

He was definitely justified. Anytime you're in a one-on-one personal argument with somebody, you always go for blood. Being politically correct is the last thing on your mind.

I'm always reminded of this bit from Chris Rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we-zND9Ihes#t=1m12s
Kind of true. After reading the full tweet dialog the open letter seems pretty ridiculous.

Though I wonder what Chris Rock thinks about Michael Richards aka. Kramer.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
It's not like you're obligated or anything. I just can't comprehend how someone can frequent the gaming side of GAF without finding out who she is. Maybe I just assume she's more ubiquitous than she really is.

For me anyway, i knew who she was. I just wasn't THAT familiar with her work. I didn't actively go out seeking it either. I'e never watched The Guild, nor have i played Dragon Age.

Perfectly understandable how there could be lots of people with even less knowledge of her than that.

For the record, i have no idea who Veronica Belmont is either.

Kind of true. After reading the full tweet dialog the open letter seems pretty ridiculous.

Though I wonder what Chris Rock thinks about Michael Richards aka. Kramer.

QUESTION: Seriously, would you offer a job to Michael Richards?

CHRIS ROCK: Would I offer a job to Michael Richards? Wow, I don't know. Probably. I don't know. I mean, I'd have to make sure all the other non-"n----r"-screaming people didn't need jobs first.

(Laughter.)

Once they were all working I guess I would have to give him a job.

Eidan

lol, literally every time IGN or Kotaku write an article you'll get pages and pages of people shitting on the person who wrote it and whatnot. People call out men at all the time for tons of random shit. It just doesn't get noticed as a big deal because it's so normal.

I don't agree with his wording, and he sounds like a dumb dude for continuing to talk shit, but I don't "get" Day either, same way I don't "get" Chobot. But hey I can't even lie, if I could get their jobs (whatever their jobs are, I don't follow them enough to know these days), I'd do it in a heartbeat.*

*note, I was going to say "but I'm probably not cute enough" at the end of that statement but I didn't want GAF to flip out. Also I definitely am cute enough, so it would have been a lie :)

I guess that's what I don't understand. Why does someone need to "get" Day or Chobot? Does anyone have trouble or attempt to "get" Geoff? They're personalities associated with the industry. They talk games, advertise games, and make products about games. Not much different than a pundit you see on your average 24-hour news network.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
no, it's that you're not allowed to have a backbone and should sit down and shutup when you see something inane
Unless you are more important and generate a lot of views for the site, ala Jim Sterling. Then you can be as sexist and outrageous as you want and never fear losing your job.

I guess that's what I don't understand. Why does someone need to "get" Day or Chobot? Does anyone have trouble or attempt to "get" Geoff? They're personalities associated with the industry. They talk games, advertise games, and make products about games. Not much different than a pundit you see on your average 24-hour news network.
Difference is I get Geoff completely. I see him hosting his show GTTV, I see him writing really great editorials from time to time, and I see him posting here. He is a hype man/tv show host/great journalist because his pieces are usually quite in depth and he is able to get into all pockets of the industry to do them.

Like I get that. I see it all the time. I don't even follow him really, I just see it. I don't follow anyone in the gaming industry but I see what a lot of them are doing. I didn't include Belmont because I remember her working for Sony a while back and some other stuff. I genuinely have not seen Day or someone like Chobot do many things in the industry to warrant (maybe warrant isn't the right word, maybe I mean that shows how they've reached) the place they have in it, but again, I don't follow them. What do they do? A podcast somewhere? I don't know.

Most of the people you mention(Olivia Munn, and Morgan Webb as well), Day excluded, routinely have posed for men's magazines. Thus in the minds of some they're doing it to further a career outside of gaming and thus aren't "real gamers". And they say it not having any clue if its true or not. In the case of Munn, it was true. And the people accusing them of not being real gamers are female as well as male.

Unless you are more important and generate a lot of views for the site, ala Jim Sterling. Then you can be as sexist and outrageous as you want and never fear losing your job.

Your proof that Jim is a sexist is his twitter fight with a woman who acted despicably as well? Sorry, need much more evidence. Throwing that word around isn't OK.

Countdown to an article run by that cesspool Kotaku about how ingrained misogyny is?

Winner gets a PSN+ 3 month card? Anyone gonna start the bets?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Wow and now it comes out Sterling is bashing homosexuals. And yet no one gives two fucks. Awesome.

Lancehead

He didn't have the best choice of words, obviously, but it's just... kinda mind-blowing to see someone act like girls don't have a tendency to talk everyone around them's heads off. Not always, of course - have to have that disclaimer - but yeah, they kinda do.

None that I know do that. Do they talk more than I do? Definitely, though that isn't saying much since I talk a lot less than average male. And their talk is rarely impertinent.

Kinyou

Because Geoff doesn't do stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo3JcX1BvrQ

Sure, she only does stuff like this to get more views from the male audience, so we kinda have to blame ourselves, but still, it's annoying to me. Something I definitely do not "get"

Eidan

Difference is I get Geoff completely. I see him hosting his show GTTV, I see him writing really great editorials from time to time, and I see him posting here. He is a hype man/tv show host/great journalist because his pieces are usually quite in depth and he is able to get into all pockets of the industry to do them.

Like I get that. I see it all the time. I don't even follow him really, I just see it. I don't follow anyone in the gaming industry but I see what a lot of them are doing. I didn't include Belmont because I remember her working for Sony a while back and some other stuff. I genuinely have not seen Day or someone like Chobot do many things in the industry to warrant (maybe warrant isn't the right word, maybe I mean that shows how they've reached) the place they have in it, but again, I don't follow them. What do they do? A podcast somewhere? I don't know.

I honestly don't know much about Chobot outside of her IGN videos that show up on Xbox Live. Day obviously is the creator of the Guild, makes videos on gaming, and is all together just a more famous advid gamer as far as I know. My point is that that's enough for me. I don't need to see more than what they're already doing to see what role they play in the industry, and I don't put much thought into whether they have "worth". It's just an altogether weird concept for me.

I also don't know why posing for a male magazine invalidate's someone's "gamer credentials". Does posing in a bikini mean you can't be excited about the Wii U?

Wow and now it comes out Sterling is bashing homosexuals. And yet no one gives two fucks. Awesome.

Some of us read everything involved in that spat and didn't jump to an inane conclusion that Jim hates homosexuals. If you're only going to react to bits and pieces, you're not going to be able to contribute much in most any conversation. Take it all in. Let it marinate. Then react.

Is she really this famous? I honestly didn't know who she was until someone mentioned a couple of videos she was in. The videos weren't even that great. Why am I expected to know who she was?

She got quite famous after Dragon Age 2 or at least that's when i even learned that she exists :)

Still she is a little part of game industry who do her part and doesn't hurt anybody so why would someone single her is beyond my understanding.

And especially so called "professional journalist".

If he wanted to do it right he should have written an article about the impact of female game cellebrities on industry or something like that.

jmls1121

Banned
Jim Sterling is a miserable, miserable human being. That he has any credence at all just speaks to the state of gaming journalism. And that destructoid even allows him to review games with his "satire" is incredible.

I honestly don't know much about Chobot outside of her IGN videos that show up on Xbox Live. Day obviously is the creator of the Guild, makes videos on gaming, and is all together just a more famous advid gamer as far as I know. My point is that that's enough for me. I don't need to see more than what they're already doing to see what role they play in the industry, and I don't put much thought into whether they have "worth". It's just an altogether weird concept for me.

I also don't know why posing for a male magazine invalidate's someone's "gamer credentials". Does posing in a bikini mean you can't be excited about the Wii U?
and I'm of the opinion that Chobot and Day aren't famous because of their contributions to the industry but because they are cute/geek personalities. And to me, that is something I don't get. Then again the gaming industry can be pretty immature a lot of the time so, there's that to explain it. Not take away anything they may have done in their careers but I just don't see how it could possibly warrant their fame in the industry. I personally think it's because their women who happen to be good looking and this industry is a sausage fest.

Because Geoff doesn't do stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo3JcX1BvrQ

Sure, she only does stuff like this to get more views from the male audience, so we kinda have to blame ourselves, but still, it's annoying to me. Something I definitely do not "get"
also things like this don't help

conman

None that I know do that. Do they talk more than I do? Definitely, though that isn't saying much since I talk a lot less than average male. And their talk is rarely impertinent.
Taking that a bit further, studies (real ones using actual "science" rather than a bunch of hearsay and "my sister" examples) show that in classrooms, meeting rooms, conferences, political situations, news outlets, and any number of other public or official or "serious" venues, men talk far more than women. If any man thinks that women "talk too much," what they probably mean is that they're not used to hearing their voices.

Kinyou

QUESTION: Seriously, would you offer a job to Michael Richards?

CHRIS ROCK: Would I offer a job to Michael Richards? Wow, I don't know. Probably. I don't know. I mean, I'd have to make sure all the other non-"n----r"-screaming people didn't need jobs first.

(Laughter.)

Once they were all working I guess I would have to give him a job.
Hm, not really the answer I had hoped for. Of course are the f- and the n- word a little different, but if you can believe Michael Richards he just wanted to insult those guys the meanest way possible.

The original question to her was phrased poorly. Typical for current game journalism with people who think "loving" games is all they need to be able to write about them. 10 hours ago, post firing, everything seemed normal, but it looks like he's gone off the deep end. Is he still drunk posting?

You know, to be honest, Wil Wheaton's tweets are pretty douche-y, too. Most of them are dedicated to showing how worthless this guy is. Bullshit. Like he's all high and mighty. I hate it when people like him do it. A job is a job. Yes, this guy who wrote the tweet to Felicia is an asshat and definitely the one who was wrong here, but Wil Wheaton's whole "Oh, Destructoid needs to be reprimanded" and "I just find it so unacceptable that this still exists"...it all reeks of pompous, self-righteous bullshit. It's like...too much. It's almost as immature. I find it disgusting when one puts another down because they have a higher paying job, or whatever.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is fucking ridiculous. If this guy had ranted about anything else he'd be fine, if everybody hadn't overreacted so much he'd be fine. It's because everybody got their panties in a knot that this dude got fired.

He actually made a really good point too. I like Felicia Day but she has added fuck all to this industry, he was spot on.

What the fuck is this? Does your mind actually operate in this manner? No wonder there are people like this Perez idiot out there.

He did not make a good point. He didn't make any point, actually. He started talking shit to someone out of the blue because their mere online presence irritated him somehow. It's pure flaming/trolling, except he did it without message board anonymity.

I know very little about Felicia Day, but I've learned through this thread that she's been in some online video series, and has done voice/character work in multiple games. That alone means that she has added "something" to the gaming industry. Whether you approve of it or not is another issue.

You honestly don't see why that would bother some people? Have you seen some of the threads here complaining about how men in the gaming industry are "embarrassing" the industry to the rest of the world with all their "sexism and misogyny", yet then some of the most notable women involved in gaming are willfully posing in next to nothing, and for what? To further gaming? I get why some people would question them. Personally I don't care. Do what you want, how you want to do it. If it's working for you, that's all that matters.

You honestly don't see why that would bother some people? Have you seen some of the threads here complaining about how men in the gaming industry are "embarrassing" the industry to the rest of the world with all their "sexism and misogyny", yet then some of the most notable women involved in gaming are willfully posing in next to nothing, and for what? To further gaming? I get why some people would question them. Personally I don't care. Do what you want, how you want to do it. If it's working for you, that's all that matters.

Why can't they just pose in bikinis because they want to? Not modest enough for you? Gaming personalities are allowed to have lives outside of gaming.

Why can't they just pose in bikinis because they want to? Not modest enough for you? Gaming personalities are allowed to have lives outside of gaming.

I don't give a shit what they do. I don't think gaming is a noble pursuit to begin with. You'd have to be blind to see that it doesn't bother a lot of people though. The bad thing about this particular episode is that he called one of the females who doesn't run around acting like a booth babe, a booth babe.

Reclaimer

Studies (real ones using actual "science" rather than a bunch of hearsay and "my sister" examples) show that in classrooms, meeting rooms, conferences, political situations, news outlets, and any number of other public or official or "serious" venues, men talk far more than women. If any man thinks that women "talk too much," what they probably mean is that they're not used to hearing their voices.

Sad and true. Thanks for posting this. :)

Back to the original post... I'm baffled that people are so upset about one guy posting his opinion (however dickish) on Twitter. Surely there are others that have said similar things about Felicia Day before? This "protecting celebs" thing is just so odd to me.

Hell I've seen threads on GAF calling out male "Journalists" for just being embarrassing on the whole, based on their own writings, ramblings, and not to mention developers and CEOs are free firing range at douche bags, and they are truly embarrassing a good set of them.

Kinyou

and I'm of the opinion that Chobot and Day aren't famous because of their contributions to the industry but because they are cute/geek personalities. And to me, that is something I don't get. Then again the gaming industry can be pretty immature a lot of the time so, there's that to explain it. Not take away anything they may have done in their careers but I just don't see how it could possibly warrant their fame in the industry. I personally think it's because their women who happen to be good looking and this industry is a sausage fest.
I think what people should really give more focus is how Jade Raymond got basically bullied out of the spotlight. There you had an actual game producer who also just happened to be attractive.

And still did you have more than half the people saying that she's just an eyecandy to sell the game. After events got more and more absurd + a certain nsfw webcomic, she kind of disappeared.

Sad and true. Thanks for posting this. :)

It's true in the professional environments discussed in the study. They didn't study male-female conversational habits outside of those environments where women don't typically feel more "meek" than their male counterparts. Those studies are actually quite useful in helping to determine why women don't move ahead as quickly as men.

Why is "booth babe" negative. There's nothing wrong with them.

They're people too! Which is why I want to unshackle the Nintendo booth babes from their 3DS tethers.

I think what people should really give more focus is how Jade Raymond got basically bullied out of the spotlight. There you had an actual game producer who also just happened to be attractive.

And you had still more than half the people saying that she's just an eyecandy to sell the game. After events got more and more absurd + a certain nsfw webcomic, she kind of disappeared.
I agree with that, especially when they could be bullying her for ruining splinter cell instead :p

The thing that keeps the gaming press from legitimacy is that it's financially dependent on the same industry that it covers. And that's true of most entertainment and technology press. Hence the term "enthusiast press." This is all a perfect example of their "enthusiasm." ;)

Those that rise above also aren't appreciated enough respect or pay-wise enough to stick around in the limelight, either.

george_us

Munn is an absolute attention whore that will do just about anything to get what she wants, and she's not funny or talented in the least from what I've seen. A lot of the hate Day gets is just a side-effect of her being a pretty girl that's actually ASKED to comment on things, and appear at conventions in an industry that's run by immature men and aimed at 15-year-old boys.
At least Munn has actually co-hosted a fairly popular show. I had no idea what Felicia Day was responsible for until this whole controversy was started.

Between this ridiculous episode and the faux-Tomb Raider outrage, the industry is fucking embarrassing to be a apart of right now. It's like teenagers who are in such a hurry to grow up and keeps asking their parents "Why won't you treat me like an adult?!" without realizing they're acting like spoiled, petulant teenagers.

Matt

He was definitely justified. Anytime you're in a one-on-one personal argument with somebody, you always go for blood. Being politically correct is the last thing on your mind.

I'm always reminded of this bit from Chris Rock:

It all depends how you feel about gender-based insults against women. I find them pretty distasteful, no matter the context.

It all depends how you feel about gender-based insults against women. I find them pretty distasteful, no matter the context.

I don't think they're ever productive, but if she's going to dish it out, she better be able to take it. And she dished it out just fine. I doubt anyone can read their exchanges and conclude that she was wronged. I assume you also feel they're equally wrong against men. Equality and all that.

codecow

Good publicity for her, I recognized her name but couldn't place her. A quick search and a Wikipedia article read and she ends up having done a great deal in entertainment; getting accepted to Juilliard is no joke. Now I'll be looking for her in the future, thanks dtoid!

Roto13

Jim Sterling is a miserable, miserable human being. That he has any credence at all just speaks to the state of gaming journalism. And that destructoid even allows him to review games with his "satire" is incredible.

Jim Sterling is the worst person in gaming media. If Ryan What's-his-face deserves to be fired, Jim Sterling deserves to be shot out of a cannon.

Kinyou

Jim Sterling is the worst person in gaming media. If Ryan What's-his-face deserves to be fired, Jim Sterling deserves to be shot out of a cannon.
I agree. Being an asshole to everyone might make him less of a sexist, but not less of an asshole

Good publicity for her, I recognized her name but couldn't place her. A quick search and a Wikipedia article read and she ends up having done a great deal in entertainment; getting accepted to Juilliard is no joke. Now I'll be looking for her in the future, thanks dtoid!

You should look for her now. She's a terrible actress but The Guild is still funny if you've ever experienced life in World of Warcraft. She also comes off as incredibly sincere in interviews. Not hard to see why she has a geek fanbase.

I agree. Being an asshole to everyone might make him less of a sexist, but not less of an asshole

Which begs the question: why do we tolerate assholes, but have no tolerance for sexists? They're both vile.

Top Bottom