• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Says Rude Thing to Person, Gets Fired From Destructoid, Says More Rude Things

x3sphere

He's proven himself incapable of asking tough questions in a non-offensive manner, so Dtoid was in the right when firing him. What if he acted like that in a proper interview? As an intern he was already treading on thin ice.

A lot of companies have a zero-tolerance policy for things like this. It's not surprising to me in the slightest that he was fired on the spot like that. Also, his excuses about being new to Twitter are complete BS. When you post things on Twitter, you should do so under the assumption it can blow up in your face. You'd better be prepared to defend whatever you said. If you can't, then keep quiet. As someone covering the gaming industry and the amount of drama that has been surrounding it lately, he should've known that.

antonz

What is Wil Wheaton's relationship with Day? I follow his twitter and he posts about her an awful lot. I hadn't heard about her work outside of Doctor Horrible until now.

They both had characters on the show Eureka on Syfy as well. Wil can probably relate pretty well to random haters considering even as a kid people would try and boo him off stage for "destroying" star trek.

He's proven himself incapable of asking tough questions in a non-offensive manner, so Dtoid was in the right when firing him. What if he acted like that in a proper interview? As an intern he was already treading on thin ice.

A lot of companies have a zero-tolerance policy for things like this. It's not surprising to me in the slightest that he was fired on the spot like that. Also, his excuses about being new to Twitter are complete BS. When you post things on Twitter, you should do so under the assumption it can blow up in your face. You'd better be prepared to defend whatever you said. If you can't, then keep quiet. As someone covering the gaming industry and the amount of drama that has been surrounding it lately, he should've known that.

That zero tolerance policy usually fluctuates on how important you are to the company. Obviously this guy was of little to no value. And he's since shown why.

remnant

Banned
Fair point. I'm just used to gamers harshly criticizing any female personality who expresses a genuine interest in gaming. Women have to somehow work harder to prove their authenticity. I wonder if anyone ever questioned Adam Sessler's authenticity or worth. They certainly questioned Morgan Webb''s.
Ar u just blind to all the jim sterling posts in this thread, and the numerous attacks other men and whole websites get on this forum?

remnant

Banned
Fair point. I'm just used to gamers harshly criticizing any female personality who expresses a genuine interest in gaming. Women have to somehow work harder to prove their authenticity. I wonder if anyone ever questioned Adam Sessler's authenticity or worth. They certainly questioned Morgan Webb''s.
Are u just blind to all the jim sterling posts in this thread, and the numerous attacks other men and whole websites get on this forum?

I don't think he would have outright been disrespectful to Felicia Day if they were in a one on one interview, unless he was a real hardcore mother-fucker living off a massive trust fund.

To me, its seems like just a rant, something he spouted. He could have easily said the same thing about Michael Bay, or as I said Peter Molyneux, people would have chuckled and moved on, but once her fan base got hold of that, and not to mention the feminists.

It was a warp, he should have known he was done for.

The climate right now surrounding video-games is so ugly, with PRs making political interjection speeches deeming at Crystal Dynamics what happens in the narrative to Lara "Close Physical Intimidation" in an interview with Kotaku, as Rape is not apart of their dictionary. Rosenberg has been pretty much left to dry.

I now understand why they ( CD ) are so desperate to get away from anything that could paint them negatively. I couldn't understand their cowardice of not owning their decision, but now I understand. I can see why Destructoid was quick to release him.

These feminists aren't playing, and they will shame and steamroll your people, corporation, business, studio into obscurity as something to be seen with disdain.

Right now, everyone in the industry is pretty much shook because of this.

I don't think he would have outright been disrespectful to Felicia Day if they were in a one on one interview, unless he was a real hardcore mother-fucker living off a massive trust fund.

To me, its seems like just a rant, something he spouted. He could have easily said the same thing about Michael Bay, or as I said Peter Molyneux, people would have chuckled and moved on, but once her fan base got hold of that, and not to mention the feminists.

The climate right now surrounding video-games is so ugly, with PRs making political interjection speeches deeming at Crystal Dynamics what happens in the narrative to Lara "Close Physical Intimidation" in an interview with Kotaku, as Rape is not apart of their dictionary. Rosenberg has been pretty much left to dry.

I now understand why they ( CD ) are so desperate to get away from anything that could paint them negatively. I couldn't understand their cowardice of not owning their decision, but now I understand. I can see why Destructoid was quick to release him.

These feminists aren't playing, and they will shame and steamroll your people, corporation, business, studio into obscurity as something to be seen with disdain.

Yeah, it's the fault of feminism that there is such a backlash against women in the industry and what we have to say. Maybe if the industry were more inclined to listen to our input or integrate us in, we wouldn't have such a problem weeding genuine criticism out from "are they just shitting on her because she's female?"

Kinyou

I think that he, out of nowhere, was directly sending that tweet towards her makes it kind of weird. Sometimes you can be angry at god and the world etc. and than just ask "wtf does he/she do anyway?" But I wouldn't send an e-mail directly towards Donald Trump. Especially if my company does business with him.

remnant

Banned

Lol you're talking like they are a bunch of PC stormtroopers.

Yeah, it's the fault of feminism that there is such a backlash against women in the industry and what we have to say. Maybe if the industry were more inclined to listen to our input or integrate us in, we wouldn't have such a problem weeding genuine criticism out from "are they just shitting on her because she's female?"
What has that input been lately? Only rape, hate and misogyny is said on xbox live? Issues of sexual assault or rape shouldn't be allowed in a game?

I don't think he would have compared Bay or Molyneux to glorified booth babes.

idolminds

Neo Member
What is Wil Wheaton's relationship with Day? I follow his twitter and he posts about her an awful lot. I hadn't heard about her work outside of Doctor Horrible until now.

Wil has a web show called TableTop that he created and produces with Day, and its hosted on Geek & Sundry which appears to be her premium Youtube channel.

Lol you're talking like they are a bunch of PC stormtroopers.

What has that input been lately? Only rape, hate and misogyny is said on xbox live? Issues of sexual assault or rape shouldn't be allowed in a game?

I'm not even talking feminism at this point. We're talking about an industry awash in stereotypes, sexism and misogyny. An industry that could definitely use more women in greater capacities and direct input into games and PR. So why is it a surprise or even wrong for people to assume that an insult or critique directed at a female member of the industry is done so because she's a woman? Especially when there are others along the same vein whom that criticism could also be directed at and are not targeted?

I don't think he would have compared Bay or Molyneux to glorified booth babes.

I agree, as I said earlier in the thread he should have dropped just one comment, but hammering over and over and over. Its foolish. I don't think he's a misogynist, or he was drunk either. I just think he may have some form autism, or he's flat out insane.

szaromir

Banned
Pretty smart move from Dtoid to get rid of this editor. People might ask not only what does Felicia Day bring to gaming, but also what does Destructoid bring to gaming, in which cases poeple would quickly discover 'not much if anything at all', so they diverted attention by firing the guy before people started asking those silly questions.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Everyone knows who Felicia Day is. I don't understand why people pretend not to. Is it to convince GAF that you're cooly detached and above such things?

If she wasn't sucking the life outta eureka I wouldn't know who she was. Why do you assume because you know who she is, that everyone should?

Kinyou

Just remembered this one.

gjDeR.jpg

I guess calling out celebrities over twitter is kind of a "thing"

remnant

Banned
I'm not even talking feminism at this point. We're talking about an industry awash in stereotypes, sexism and misogyny. An industry that could definitely use more women in greater capacities and direct input into games and PR.
Really? Becuase it's not a big secret that the number of female producers and designers in video games have risen a lot.

So why is it a surprise or even wrong for people to assume that an insult or critique directed at a female member of the industry is done so because she's a woman? Especially when there are others along the same vein whom that criticism could also be directed at and are not targeted?
Because it's not looking at the situation as a whole? Because it's purposely avoiding a interesting question. There is a story here about Felicia Day and her almost sycophant fanbase in the gaming industry, and the odd double standard applied to her show and other shows that portray gaming in a negative light like Big Bang Theory.

Granted Ryan came at this the worst possible way, but to assume every issue around a woman is done solely to attack, bemoan or keep her in her place is ridiculous. It sucks air out of any real conversation and puts into the realm of hyperbole.

And one last thing, where is this "men do it to and they aren't questioned" line coming from? What male has created a show as bad as the guild
a d before you do your usual bullshit. The Guild is not a good show we call bad becuase a woman makes it. It's a bad show
and is treated like a god?

Metallix87

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure why this Felicia Day person actually matters. Isn't she basically a glorified booth babe that random internet nerds obsess over? Why is calling out the truth somehow enough to be fired over? She's not an industry person, she's an actress!

Matt

And some people find using the word "fuck" and other such words distasteful in any context, yet it doesn't stop you from using them.

What a terribly false equivalency.

"Fuck" is a a generic word, "slut" is inherently meant to insult women specifically.

Emitan

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure why this Felicia Day person actually matters. Isn't she basically a glorified booth babe that random internet nerds obsess over? Why is calling out the truth somehow enough to be fired over? She's not an industry person, she's an actress!

i love how your "argument" is saying shit that got someone fired

Really? Becuase it's not a big secret that the number of female producers and designers in video games have risen a lot.

Because it's not looking at the situation as a whole? Because it's purposely avoiding a interesting question. There is a story here about Felicia Day and her almost sycophant fanbase in the gaming industry, and the odd double standard applied to her show and other shows that portray gaming in a negative light like Big Bang Theory.

Granted Ryan came at this the worst possible way, but to assume every issue around a woman is done solely to attack, bemoan or keep her in her place is ridiculous. It sucks air out of any real conversation and puts into the realm of hyperbole.

And one last thing, where is this "men do it to and they aren't questioned" line coming from? What male has created a show as bad as the guild
a d before you do your usual bullshit. The Guild is not a good show we call bad becuase a woman makes it. It's a bad show
and is treated like a god?

It's not really an interesting question and it's certainly not born of genuine intrigue. To me it's just another bout of how important are a women's credentials who doesn't even pretend to speak for the industry and does her own thing. Who the fuck cares. If you have a problem with her being advertised as a "hot girl nerd that appeals to men" then be more pissed at the community who eats it up or the people who put her on the air.

If the industry wants to be taken at all seriously they need to take a long hard look at the way women are treated. Either put up on pedestals or under ridiculous amounts of scrutiny. Or both at the same time. It's old. It's tired. It's annoying to see yet another round of shit. It's annoying to see "white knight" thrown around.

I don't give a fuck about her show. I never said shit about it. I haven't watched it. It could be utter dog shit for all I care. My point is that when an industry and its community has so much animosity towards my gender people are going to assume that unprovoked attacks on female members are just more sexist bullshit on top of the shit cake. If you have a problem with that, maybe you should take a long hard look at why those assumptions would be made in the first place.

I find it unfortunate how due to this whole affair, she's probably going to face quite a bit of unjustified hate on Twitter and other outlets acting on behalf of the guy, even though she didn't even participate in the thing until the apology, which really makes her the smartest person in the whole thing.

Metallix87

i love how your "argument" is saying shit that got someone fired

It's just, it really makes no sense. None of it. I wasn't even aware until this "scandal" that she was considered some kind of important person in the gaming community. I just knew her as that chick from Buffy.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So why is it a surprise or even wrong for people to assume that an insult or critique directed at a female member of the industry is done so because she's a woman? Especially when there are others along the same vein whom that criticism could also be directed at and are not targeted?

Because not everybody is a bad guy.

hauton

It all depends how you feel about gender-based insults against women. I find them pretty distasteful, no matter the context.
If Jim Sterling drew her obese and naked with dildos sprouting out of her folds of fat as her girlfriend divebombed onto her with her privates spread wider than a manhole, would you have a problem? Would he be sexist or homophobic?

It's just, it really makes no sense. None of it. I wasn't even aware until this "scandal" that she was considered some kind of important person in the gaming community. I just knew her as that chick from Buffy.

Nobody's saying you should already know who she is. But if you don't know someone's work, tweeting at them "Why do you matter?" is kind of a rude way to go about finding out, don't you think? I mean, her entire crime in this whole mess was being tweeted at.

Metallix87

Because nobody refers to other people (see: males) with their own shows or acting careers in proper television shows and voice acting gigs as "booth babes".

Yeah, but they don't usually refer to those people as "important to the gaming community", either. I mean, I've yet to see anyone make a claim that Patrick Stewart or Jimmy Fallon are important to gaming. Far from it.

The fact that Felicia Day is a woman, though, has put her on a pedestal. You can call it sexism or whatever, but the truth of the matter is, she really hasn't done much of anything for gaming except for exploiting it for her own gain.

I'm not even talking feminism at this point. We're talking about an industry awash in stereotypes, sexism and misogyny. An industry that could definitely use more women in greater capacities and direct input into games and PR. So why is it a surprise or even wrong for people to assume that an insult or critique directed at a female member of the industry is done so because she's a woman? Especially when there are others along the same vein whom that criticism could also be directed at and are not targeted?

Part of the problem, from what I understand, is that aren't many women in tech and engineering related majors to begin with. In the media, I remember there always being one token female (or no women at all) on staff at all the major magazines. I'm guessing web sites hire more women these days, but I haven't really checked and I'd guess it's still pretty imbalanced. Then there are some show hostesses who are kinda whatever...hell, even message boards don't really have many women posting. More women in the industry would certainly bring more awareness/self-awareness.

It's pretty weird that he would attack her instead of, say, whatever hostess for a blah G4 show who is trained to appear she's a gamer. Felicia Day is a 30-something writer/actor/director of a popular original web series...so she breaks the mould of the airhead G4 hostess and is probably working 10x as hard as this dickhead.

Metallix87

Nobody's saying you should already know who she is. But if you don't know someone's work, tweeting at them "Why do you matter?" is kind of a rude way to go about finding out, don't you think? I mean, her entire crime in this whole mess was being tweeted at.

I'll admit, this much is true. He definitely screwed up in that regard. Still, I think he does have a point, especially with the way people are reacting.

Top Bottom