• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Says Rude Thing to Person, Gets Fired From Destructoid, Says More Rude Things

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah the guy who tweeted has certainly proven to be the opposite. Oh wait. He had an agenda from the beginning.

Not everybody is a good guy, either.

Does it have to be one or the other every single time? People are capable of operating outside of extremes, you know.

Part of the problem, from what I understand, is that aren't many women in tech and engineering related majors to begin with. It's pretty weird that he would attack her instead of, say, whatever hostess for a blah G4 show who is trained to appear she's a gamer. Felicia Day is a 30-something writer/actor/director of a popular original web series...so she breaks the mould of the airhead G4 hostess and is probably working 10x as hard as this dickhead.

Yeah it's too bad more women aren't entering those fields but at the same time it's about comfort levels even if you have a particular interest in something. Some times you can get by just turning those interests into hobbies if you don't particularly feel like being the odd (wo)man out in a field or class.

Not everybody is a good guy, either.

Does it have to be one or the other every single time? People are capable of operating outside of extremes, you know.

He could have written legitimate articles about how sex is used to sell games and how certain people are used as sex objects in doing so. Instead he personally attacked Felicia Day. So really what is to be expected of someone who goes on twitter with insipid statements.

Matt

If Jim Sterling drew her obese and naked with dildos sprouting out of her folds of fat as her girlfriend divebombed onto her with her privates spread wider than a manhole, would you have a problem? Would he be sexist or homophobic?

Saying that I found Jim's language distasteful dosen't justify what he was responding to at all.

Yeah it's too bad more women aren't entering those fields but at the same time it's about comfort levels even if you have a particular interest in something. Some times you can get by just turning those interests into hobbies if you don't particularly feel like being the odd (wo)man out in a field or class.

and I'm sure it goes back even further.

"No sweetie, put down the nintendo controller. Here, take this barbie instead!"

Danny Dudekisser

He could have written legitimate articles about how sex is used to sell games and how certain people are used as sex objects in doing so. Instead he personally attacked Felicia Day. So really what is to be expected of someone who goes on twitter with insipid statements.

That has literally nothing to do with what I said, but okay. I guess.

OMG Aero

Yeah, but they don't usually refer to those people as "important to the gaming community", either. I mean, I've yet to see anyone make a claim that Patrick Stewart or Jimmy Fallon are important to gaming. Far from it.

The fact that Felicia Day is a woman, though, has put her on a pedestal. You can call it sexism or whatever, but the truth of the matter is, she really hasn't done much of anything for gaming except for exploiting it for her own gain.

But who actually said that? As far as I know Felicia Day didn't say she was important to the gaming community, and if anyone else said it then that is just their opinion and Ryan should have spoken to them on Twitter about it.
I mean if she did say that she was important to the gaming community then fair enough people can question her about that, but this guy just started having a go at her out of nowhere.

Yeah the guy who tweeted has certainly proven to be the opposite. Oh wait. He had an agenda from the beginning.

I'm struggling to think what his agenda could have been? Maybe he's an anarchist and hates working in the system, so set himself up to be fired, Lol? God knows, its hard to see where he could have possibly been going with this, the more you try to rationalise it, there was nothing of substance to be gained here, it makes no sense. To me, he is a complete basket case.

Metallix87

But who actually said that? As far as I know Felicia Day didn't say she was important to the gaming community, and if anyone else said it then that is just their opinion and Ryan should have spoken to them on Twitter about it.
I mean if she did say that she was important to the gaming community then fair enough people can question her about that, but this guy just started having a go at her out of nowhere.

Look, I'm done after this comment, simply because I can tell this is going nowhere, but here it goes: Felicia Day has exploited her gamer girl status for years for personal gain. She's used it to get droves of nerds absolutely obsessed with her. The fact that you have tons of people white knighting over this "scandal" is proof enough. She may not have stated it outright, sure, but she can't go one interview anymore without talking about being a gamer.

I'm not saying Ryan Perez was right in saying what he said, because while his point is definitely correct in my view, it was in very poor taste to attack her directly (though I do believe Twitter isn't exactly the most harsh method of attack, and people are blowing this out of proportion). Still, this topic and the responses within it prove that the industry has put far too much emphasis on this woman for doing absolutely nothing for gaming, which speaks volumes about how stereotypical we can be.

Danny Dudekisser

You've pretty much ignored my larger point anyway so we're at an impasse.

Wait, what? What was that larger point, anyway? That the Destructoid guy was in the wrong? Because I never even disagreed with that.

I'm pretty sure you're just scraping for something to fight about.

Minion101

Banned
I'm struggling to think what his agenda could have been? Maybe he's an anarchist and hates working in the system, so set himself up to be fired, Lol? God knows, its hard to see where he could have possibly been going with this, the more you try to rationalise it, there was nothing of substance to be gained here, it makes no sense. To me, he is a complete basket case.
I think he's just one those angry assholes who are pissed they had a shitty childhood and are taking it out on people in adulthood.

Can anyone actually parse what he is trying to say? What is "Without losing the teeth" supposed to mean? Does he seriously believe that the people who have a problem with this intern fucking up have never spoken up about any other gaming stories? I don't understand the "choice" he's presenting at the end of that run of tweets.

Reclaimer

It's a small industry. This guy has effectively written his way out of it. Have fun on Blogger.

Hahaha, yeah right. Most gaming companies don't give a shit about what you said on twitter to Felecia Day. The world doesn't revolve around opinions about her. Yeah, he was a dick, but if he's still good at his job (I don't know), why should he be blacklisted?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can anyone actually parse what he is trying to say? What is "Without losing the teeth" supposed to mean? Does he seriously believe that the people who have a problem with this intern fucking up have never spoken up about any other gaming stories? I don't understand the "choice" he's presenting at the end of that run of tweets.
I believe he's suggesting that there's a double standard. Which is what he should have said, because it's less than 140 characters and less antagonistic.

We need more fans!
Stop being so entitled!

It's just, it really makes no sense. None of it. I wasn't even aware until this "scandal" that she was considered some kind of important person in the gaming community. I just knew her as that chick from Buffy.

Look, I'm done after this comment, simply because I can tell this is going nowhere, but here it goes: Felicia Day has exploited her gamer girl status for years for personal gain. She's used it to get droves of nerds absolutely obsessed with her. The fact that you have tons of people white knighting over this "scandal" is proof enough. She may not have stated it outright, sure, but she can't go one interview anymore without talking about being a gamer.

...That was an awfully short amount of time (17 minutes) from having no idea what her work outside Buffy is to having an opinion on her work for years and how she speaks in all her interviews.

Kard8p3

I didn't know who Felicia Day was until I googled her, but then I realized she was in Dollhouse. I'm not sure what she brings to the gaming industry, but personally I like her >_>

If she wasn't sucking the life outta eureka I wouldn't know who she was. Why do you assume because you know who she is, that everyone should?

Because you post on a forum where knowledge of her is fairly common. It may not be the best assumptian to make, but you can see why I make it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Because you post on a forum where knowledge of her is fairly common. It may not be the best assumptian to make, but you can see why I make it.

But as you can see by the constant who is felicia day comments, it isn't common.

Who's more idiotic, the guy randomly attacking her or the droves of people attacking him over some stupid comments because they some how believe Day can't defend herself against one moron.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Who's more idiotic, the guy randomly attacking her or the droves of people attacking him over some stupid comments because they some how believe Day can't defend herself against one moron.

trick question. everyone is moron today.

I don't know what I would have done in that situation. But I like Day so I probably would have never been in it to begin with. We all go loose cannon sometimes and I don't think the guy should have been fired on the spot like that. I'm thinking maybe that was a last straw for some behind the scenes trouble he got himself into in the past. He didn't say anything overly offensive, but it was a personal attack. But then it wasn't totally untrue either.

lol Why am I not surprised to see Devo in here flipping over tables as usual?

"Who is Felicia Day?"
"[lists her work and accomplishments that have nothing to do with being a hot girl]"
"LOL, stop white knighting her she doesn't need your help."

Of course she's being white knighted. That's what fans are for. Jaffe's response was great. If Felicia wanted to kill this guy, she could have. She chose to accept his apology and move on. It's everyone else that can't let go. Well at least not until the next controversy occurs.

Vyer

so a dumbass attacked someone with douchebag comments on twitter while drunk? I fail to see why the dude needs anyone trying to relate to his 'point of view'. That POV was probably followed up by a thought provoking and rousing commentary of heaving into his toilet.

Sometimes a person does a stupid thing and deserves to get shit on. It happens.

Meicyn

Gold Member
What a terribly false equivalency.

"Fuck" is a a generic word, "slut" is inherently meant to insult women specifically.
Ah, so the vulgar words that you enjoy using are A-OK, no matter whom may find their use distasteful, because you aren't employing pejoratives. How ridiculous of me!

Matt

Ah, so the vulgar words that you enjoy using are A-OK, no matter whom may find their use distasteful, because you aren't employing pejoratives. How ridiculous of me!

Yes, how ridiculous indeed. Glad we are on the same page now.

Salsa

Eh, I dont think of her as working "in the game biz" or anything.

She's an actrees and she did a good job on Dr. Horrible, so I would agree with him if it was true that she messed with the game industry beyond just being in a game or two and enjoying playing them.

Still, no reason for those tweets, and how can you attack will weathon c'mon..

remnant

Banned
It's not really an interesting question and it's certainly not born of genuine intrigue.
According to you, who last I checked doesn't have the right to define what someone may see as interesting, genuine or not.

To me it's just another bout of how important are a women's credentials who doesn't even pretend to speak for the industry and does her own thing. Who the fuck cares. If you have a problem with her being advertised as a "hot girl nerd that appeals to men" then be more pissed at the community who eats it up or the people who put her on the air.
This is not a stereotype forced onto her. She created her persona and uses it for her own gain. She see "hot girl that appeals to men" as a good thing. This isn't the artist being played by corporate puppet strings. This is the artist and it's totally legit to ask her about it. Every other medium would.

If the industry wants to be taken at all seriously they need to take a long hard look at the way women are treated. Either put up on pedestals or under ridiculous amounts of scrutiny. Or both at the same time. It's old. It's tired. It's annoying to see yet another round of shit. It's annoying to see "white knight" thrown around.
This industry is taken very seriously. Thousand of jobs, livelihoods around the world, millions of dollars spent every day. Just because your pet issue is not at the forefront does not mean this industry is not being taken seriously.

I don't give a fuck about her show. I never said shit about it. I haven't watched it. It could be utter dog shit for all I care. My point is that when an industry and its community has so much animosity towards my gender people are going to assume that unprovoked attacks on female members are just more sexist bullshit on top of the shit cake. If you have a problem with that, maybe you should take a long hard look at why those assumptions would be made in the first place.
I would guess the assumptios to fill a bias you hold.

basil81

Neo Member
Seems surprising that a game journalist would make such a statement without even considering the negative ramifications. Perhaps he was simply after the notoriety? Crom knows worse things have been said/done to gain attention.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Eh, I dont think of her as working "in the game biz" or anything.

She's an actrees and she did a good job on Dr. Horrible, so I would agree with him if it was true that she messed with the game industry beyond just being in a game or two and enjoying playing them.

Still, no reason for those tweets, and how can you attack will weathon c'mon..
Microsoft had her present facebook/twitter on 360 that one year. She's definitely more "in" than not.

And twitter is really the most pointless thing in the world. It's like blogging but for assholes.

Salsa

Microsoft had her present facebook/twitter on 360 that one year. She's definitely more "in" than not.

And twitter is really the most pointless thing in the world. It's like blogging but for assholes.

I know she has a relationship with the game industry and has had one for a while now, but I dont think she claims being anything or abuses that or anything. She's just a popular chick who enjoys games, it's easy to avoid her if you dont like it

Opiate

I assume someone said that the employee's behavior -- directed at anyone -- should be considered inappropriate?

For example, let's say I worked at a grocery store, and I called a black customer a "Fucking homeless loser." Now, that may be racist, but most importantly, it is incredibly crude and mean spirited. I shouldn't be fired for racism, I should be fired for being rude and inappropriate to customers.

Similarly, this man is an online journalist, by trade. He is held to a special standard that random-guy-on-GAF would not be. If he's crude and mean spirited to another member of the gaming community in public on the internet, he deserves to be fired for that, whether she happens to be a man or a woman.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know she has a relationship with the game industry and has had one for a while now, but I dont think she claims being anything or abuses that or anything. She's just a popular chick who enjoys games, it's easy to avoid her if you dont like it
Basically. I don't really care for her or how she's being pushed on people, but I don't get why someone had to go on twitter just to bitch about her. It's just pointless.

Seems surprising that a game journalist would make such a statement without even considering the negative ramifications. Perhaps he was simply after the notoriety? Crom knows worse things have been said/done to gain attention.
I agree with the quote and LOL at the bolded. Never heard that one before.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Similarly, this man is an online journalist, by trade. He is held to a special standard that random-guy-on-GAF would not be. If he's crude and mean spirited to another member of the gaming community in public on the internet, he deserves to be fired for that, whether she happens to be a man or a woman.
Justin McElroy from Polygon is now awaiting his termination papers.
All journalists writing editorials about whiny entitled gamers are now awaiting their termination papers.

I'm with Jaffe on this. Everyone should just chill out a little, and defending someone by harassing someone else isn't really the right standard to set.

Opiate

Justin McElroy from Polygon is now awaiting his termination papers.
All journalists writing editorials about whiny entitled gamers are now awaiting their termination papers.

I haven't read these particular pieces, but you don't feel they should be? These are professionals -- or at least they claim to be. Not children.

This is a classic fallacy of logic: "some other guy got away with being puerile and crude, so I should, too!"

Top Bottom