• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy Says Rude Thing to Person, Gets Fired From Destructoid, Says More Rude Things

Dude was an intern, right? Interns don't get paid. So if a guy attached to my company shit his pants in front of everybody and it costs me nothing to throw him out, why wouldn't I?

I don't see why Destructoid letting a pants-shitting unpaid intern go is being questioned. That's a no-brainer. Dude can't control his bowels, and there's plenty of other people who are housebroken that wouldn't mind taking that position.

Meicyn

Gold Member
It all depends how you feel about gender-based insults against women. I find them pretty distasteful, no matter the context.
And some people find using the word "fuck" and other such words distasteful in any context, yet it doesn't stop you from using them.

Felicia Day makes an entire show. A popular one. About people. Who play video games.

How was this even a question that was asked? How, 11 pages in, is there even a discussion about what she contributes or why she's popular.

She makes an entire show. A popular one. About people. Who play video games. Acts in it. Writes it, I believe.

Whether its good or not is besides the point.

That was addressed on page one where people mocked the guy for not knowing how to do an Internet search. Because a simple search would have saved this bozo a lot of embarrassment and a job.

waifus, what does that mean?

Weeaboo for 'wife'

Felicia Day makes an entire show. A popular one. About people. Who play video games.

How was this even a question that was asked? How, 11 pages in, is there even a discussion about what she contributes or why she's popular.

She makes an entire show. A popular one. About people. Who play video games. Acts in it. Writes it, I believe.

The show being terrible is a mark against her. It's one of many representations of "gamers" that makes me embarrassed to say I play video games.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Not trolling, what show is this? I just wiki'd her and didn't see any mention of that. Is it an internet show?

I seriously had no idea who Feleica Day is. I read that she was on Buffy... okay, yeah I didn't know. I still don't know if I've ever engrained a piece of media with her in it. Surely I just have never realized.

EDIT: Nevermind its an internet show. Yeah, never heard of it or watched it or had no idea it existsed. I think I suck.

Not trolling, what show is this? I just wiki'd her and didn't see any mention of that. Is it an internet show?

I seriously had no idea who Feleica Day is. I read that she was on Buffy... okay, yeah I didn't know. I still don't know if I've ever engrained a piece of media with her in it. Surely I just have never realized.

If you own a 360, you can watch it free from the Zune Video Marketplace.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I disagree, at least in the context this conversation took place in. I can understand becoming angry and saying something mean or hurtful out of a desire to hurt someone when you're in an argument in person. But I don't understand that when it happens online. When you're having an argument online, you have as long as you want to stop and think about what message you are sending out. You can choose your words carefully, so that whatever you say should be how you wanted to say it. If you're that angry that you want to insult someone like that - and I know the feeling - you need to step back and wait until you're in a better place to respond well.

And if the other person is being unreasonable or failing to reciprocate your decency, better to just drop it and move on.

Why is your kitten not in your profile picture? :mad:
Almost missed this one... for the record, even in a real life situation, you have all the time in the world to stop and think about what you're going to say before you say it. I don't feel as though the rules should change just because you're on the internet. You can choose to be vile online or offline just as you can choose to be decent in both situations.

In the heat of the moment, online or offline, people are generally going to say whatever they can to do the most damage.

I'll see if I can incorporate her. Maybe.

codecow

You should look for her now. She's a terrible actress but The Guild is still funny if you've ever experienced life in World of Warcraft. She also comes off as incredibly sincere in interviews. Not hard to see why she has a geek fanbase.

Which begs the question: why do we tolerate assholes, but have no tolerance for sexists? They're both vile.

I played the game for ~28% of the time I was alive during the first 6 months, a figure I call life %, I have 1 85 now so I think that qualifies.

bob page

Jim Sterling is the worst person in gaming media. If Ryan What's-his-face deserves to be fired, Jim Sterling deserves to be shot out of a cannon.

When Sterling eventually gets fired and/or Destructoid goes under, the dude's gonna be unemployed for the rest of his life. These fools don't realize that absolutely no legitimate organization will hire them and tolerate that behavior.

Kyou

Waffles are a delicious breakfast item, although I don't get why somebody would say that someone is their waffle. Must be an innuendo.

There's nobody on Earth that doesn't like waffles, so it's obviously just a term of endearment.

I played the game for ~28% of the time I was alive during the first 6 months, a figure I call life %, I have 1 85 now so I think that qualifies.

A few years ago my wife looked at her /played value. She quit that day. I was amazed she could quit it cold turkey so easily.

Mr. F

Banned
I agree with the guy, but it's a shame it wasn't Sterling instead. Not that I'm keeping tabs or really care who's 'contributing' their share to the community, but I don't find any of Felicia Day's work particularly funny or compelling.

To me her work seems more occupied with constantly reminding people of her 'gamer/geek' cred, which kind of makes me cringe. This kind of stuff isn't exclusive to her though, and is more of a trend across these personalities. I kind of wish her approach was more akin to mega64's or Rooster Teeth's, to be entertaining without having to bash their interests over my head every 5 seconds.

Jim Sterling may be a hack, but what has he done recently to deserve to lose his job? Come on!

She is literally the Tyler Perry of video-games. Its horrible, horrible stuff.

EDIT: Nevermind its an internet show. Yeah, never heard of it or watched it or had no idea it existsed. I think I suck.
Don't feel bad. It's a terrible show that's insulting to your intelligence and to your hobby. Watching The Guild because you're a gamer is like watching Jersey Shore because you're Italian.

I should note that I've seen less than 1 whole episode because that's all I could tolerate. YMMV

It's called The Guild. You can watch it on Netflix and at least back when I had an Xbox 360, on there, too. It seems to have a lot of non-actors in it, as well as lots of washed-up nerd stars. It's not very good.
That's, like, your opinion man.

Reception

The Guild currently has over 69 million upload views on YouTube as of September 2011.[11] The series has won several awards since its launch, and in February 2009, Rolling Stone named it one of "The Net's Best Serial Shows".[12]
Awards
Won

2007 YouTube Video Award – Best Series[13]
2008 South by Southwest Greenlight Award – Best Original Production[14]
2008 Yahoo! Video Award – Best Series[15]
2009 Streamy Awards – Best Comedy Web Series, Best Ensemble Cast in a Web Series, and Best Female Actor in a Comedy Web Series (Felicia Day)[16]
2010 Streamy Awards – Best Directing for a Comedy Web Series (Sean Becker) and Best Female Actor in a Comedy Web Series (Felicia Day)

Nominated

2009 Streamy Awards – Audience Choice Award for Best Web Series, Best Director for a Comedy Web Series (Sean Becker), Best Writing for a Comedy Web Series (Felicia Day), Best Male Actor in a Comedy Web Series (Sandeep Parikh), Best Guest Star in a Web Series (Fernando Chien), Best Editing for a Web Series (Sean Becker), Best Art Direction (Leah Mann), Best Visual Effects (Doug Luberts) and Best Original Music (Eanan Patterson and Don Schiff)
2010 Streamy Awards – Best Comedy Web Series, Audience Choice Award for Best Web Series, Best Writing for a Comedy Web Series (Felicia Day), Best Male Actor in a Comedy Web Series (Sandeep Parikh), Best Ensemble Cast in a Web Series and Best Guest Star in a Web Series (Wil Wheaton)

If watching The Guild doesn't make you want to quit your actual guild, you're watching it wrong. They're all shitty actors, but they do a good job conveying how pathetic it is to be "hardcore". I think Felicia wrote it, so I have no problem with her being in it, but why was she put in New Vegas? Why was Chobot in ME3? Are they really the best people for those jobs? Based on their lame performances, no. It's because they have an appeal to a subset of gamers, which means they have meaning and usefulness to the industry. He would have known that if he bothered to think before he tweeted.

redlemon

When Sterling eventually gets fired and/or Destructoid goes under, the dude's gonna be unemployed for the rest of his life. These fools don't realize that absolutely no legitimate organization will hire them and tolerate that behavior.

He writes/produces content for at least two other sites

And these dudes always double down on their stupidity. Every single time. We've all blown our tops online, but Twitter seems to pull something special out of people in a very different way, not least because most of us blame shitty internet behavior on anonymity; Twitter is anything but.

It was pointed out pages ago, but the best thing that can come from something like this is furthering a precedent for real consequences for stupid internet bullshit.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Only person that handled it right is Felica Day, by ignoring the shit. Wheaton also is ace because he doesn't give a fuck. He has years experience dealing with entitled douches.

In dealing with them, he's become one.

WatTsu

It should be noted that he is still tweeting about this and has not given up.

The whole situation is starting to remind me of this.

bengraven

If supporters of this guy really want to stop being so jealous, maybe you should actually turn your talents into an industry job.

It should be noted that he is still tweeting about this and has not given up.

The whole situation is starting to remind me of this.

I think he's trying to distance himself from it. It seems he's gone onto posting random pics on Twitter. I think he just wants it to die, so the White Knights and offended feminists can leave him in peace.

.la1n

there can only be so many LTTP and voting threads

The door is that way if this is the best you have to offer to the forum.

I enjoyed The Guild personally, have not followed anything else she has been involved in. She seems like a good person and didn't deserve having this guy phrasing things in such a demeaning way. Should he have been fired? No. A simple apology should have been sufficient. The questions he asked could have been perfectly legitimate if someone with a little tact had been asking them.

One of his old tweets shows that he's not all bad:

@pissedoffryno: Rape in Tomb Raider is a thing? I know this is hard for gamers to get, but adults can handle/enjoy adult context. We big people now. Yay!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
drama drama

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

Fuck yeah, I am. This is delicious.

And as long as we're tossing out opinions of The Guild, I think it's an absolute blight on not just gaming, but entertainment as a whole. It is utterly embarrassing to anyone who enjoys games and has no redeeming qualities of any sort.

Diablos

Sadly, this has opened the floodgates. Now everybody is attacking poor Felicia.

7lrpsxz
Is that legit?

If so holy shit

Should he have been fired? No. A simple apology should have been sufficient.

Why shouldn't he have been fired, again? He's an intern (I'm assuming unpaid, as most interns are) who shit his pants in a public forum with his name attached to their organization. If they're not paying him, there's no reason not to cut him loose. It literally costs them nothing to distance themselves from him in that way.

Pretty sure if you're a journalist without any real gravitas yet you should refrain from insulting anybody. Why alienate yourself or your company by spitting venom around?

WatTsu

I think he's trying to distance himself from it. It seems he's gone onto posting random pics on Twitter. I think he just wants it to die, so the White Knights and offended feminists can leave him in peace.

I think you're right but the best way to handle it is probably not to log onto Twitter for a day or so.

Everyone knows who Felicia Day is. I don't understand why people pretend not to. Is it to convince GAF that you're cooly detached and above such things?
Why should I have to know who she is? I've never watched Buffy or plan to watch the Guild. Hell I didn't even know she did VO work in Fallout NV and that was one of my favorite games.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What is Wil Wheaton's relationship with Day? I follow his twitter and he posts about her an awful lot. I hadn't heard about her work outside of Doctor Horrible until now.

Why should I have to know who she is? I've never watched Buffy or plan to watch the Guild. Hell I didn't even know she did VO work in Fallout NV and that was one of my favorite games.

I'd put it on the same vein of knowing cult sci-fi stars more than anything. She does a lot of game related stuff, but she's done lots of guest spots and was a semi-regular on Eureka, iirc

Edit - And Dr. Horrible, yeah

I think you're right but the best way to handle it is probably not to log onto Twitter for a day or so.

The last time I can remember an intern for a large internet media producer creating a shitstorm like this was the girl who insulted that Magic the Gathering Player. She basically disappeared from the internet entirely for about three weeks. But that was a much bigger deal than this is.

Yeah, I don't get it either. The only reason I knew of her was The Guild. And then I heard her voice in New Vegas. Shortly after I attempted to shoot her character in the head.

Emitan

What is Wil Wheaton's relationship with Day? I follow his twitter and he posts about her an awful lot. I hadn't heard about her work outside of Doctor Horrible until now.

I think they're longtime friends. Not really sure though.
Yeah, I don't get it either. The only reason I knew of her was The Guild. And then I heard her voice in New Vegas. Shortly after I attempted to shoot her character in the head.

Homophobe!

Kinyou

Everyone knows who Felicia Day is. I don't understand why people pretend not to. Is it to convince GAF that you're cooly detached and above such things?
When you're not living in the US/Canada (maybe UK as well) there's a huge chance that you never ever heard of her.

Strap a bunch of C4 onto her in the middle of a dry lake bed and send her blasting off into space. You may never see her again.

Top Bottom