• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy walks into Digital Extremes, gets lunch, discovers new game Keystone

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Rh7q1mM.gif

L Thammy

On a serious note, things like this are really how you do corporate espionage. It's much easier to exploit people's kindness than to hack their computers. Most people aren't constantly thinking about security. I used to get warnings all the time at my old work not to let anyone in if they claim to have forgotten their key card.

BiggNife

Seriously, fuck that guy and fuck Kotaku. When even Reddit has higher standards than you for running a story you know something's wrong.

What the hell are you talking about?

It's news. News should be reported. Kotaku isn't praising the guy for fuck's sake, they're just stating that it happened. Which it did.

Reddit probably deleted the thread because they didn't want the guy divulging any more info, which is reasonable, but that doesn't mean no one should talk about this thing that happened, even if it was a shitty thing to do (and it was).

This should raise awareness which is a good thing. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

At an office I worked at, people were going out at lunch time and someone held the door open for a guy in a suit who was coming into the building. There was another door he had to get past to enter the main office but someone held that open for him, too.

He stole a couple of phones that had been left on desks. The police caught him later, thanks to security camera footage. Security was increased after that and a stronger emphasis was put on displaying ID cards at all times. It can happen to anyone in any office environment, so be careful.

Hmm ... I'm surprised more people haven't done this before. I mean if you really wanted to know if X game was coming, I doubt it'd be that hard to find your way into a lot of studios. Some may have security, but I doubt its going to be that hard if you act like you belong or pretend you are there for a delivery or plumbing or something ...

jschreier

Ah yes, some great journalism there copy & pasting from Reddit.
Journalism often means publishing stories about people or companies that those people or companies don't want you to hear. Reddit's mods pulled the story because Digital Extremes asked them to pull it. We won't. Not sure how much clearer I can make this.

BiggNife

You missed the part of the article where it mentions that Jason independently confirmed that the Reddit information is accurate. Which, believe it or not, is actual journalism.

I have my own issues with Kotaku sometimes, but in this case it really seems like people just want a reason to attack them.

andymcc

Banned

as opposed to other journalists that copy and paste portions of PR statements received from e-mails?

he independently verified the source and talked to reddit as to why they took it down.

you're a tool.

Journalism often means publishing stories about people or companies that those people or companies don't want you to hear. Reddit's mods pulled the story because Digital Extremes asked them to pull it. We won't. Not sure how much clearer I can make this.

and now that it's on neogaf

it's here forever

komplanen

I don't know which one is funnier, the fact that he also stole lunch or the fact that he only discovered a fucking card game LOL

Xater

Also we can be sure that the people over at DE will now here terrible lunch jokes for quite some time.

Kinsei

Banned
An FPS with cards is interesting.

How long until someone does this to get information about Diddy Kong Racing 2?

fedexpeon

Banned
I do that for a living, and almost every company fails the social engineer test, especially IT industry since a lot of them are social awkward when you look them in the eyes. Stare really hard into anyone's eyes and they will not question you since human wants to avoid conflict and breaking trust with a potential worker. I am glad this guy did this since now the company will increase their security awareness. If this guy wanted to cause harm, he would have go to the copier and reprint all the potential confidential docs.

/dead at this part
There were no security guards and no one asked me who I was. They just assumed I belonged there and told me about their secret game. at 6pm people started leaving so I just followed them out and the one guy said “See you tomorrow” so I agreed.

TL;DR: DE has shitty security and delicious food. Also Keystone.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Now everyone at DE has to do a one hour mandatory web based training about corporate security and have to wear their badges visibly for at least 9 months.

That lasting damage!

Ferrio

Banned
FPS with cards? Isn't that the same premise of that one xbox game that was getting remade but isn't getting remade?

Xater

I do that for a living, and almost every company fails the social engineer test, especially IT industry since a lot of them are social awkward when you look them in the eyes. Stare really hard into anyone's eyes and they will not question you since human wants to avoid conflict and breaking trust with a potential worker. I am glad this guy did this since now the company will increase their security awareness. If this guy wanted to cause harm, he would have go to the copier and reprint all the potential confidential docs.

I assume you are not a corporate spy, but work for a company that tests security for other companies?

cirrhosis

Hopefully tattoo guy can find a new job.

If someone doesn't have their badge on display over here, they better show it pronto. Why bother having fancy scanners if they're so fucking apathetic and lazy towards security?

That's some masterful social engineering right there. Interested how a card-based FPS would work. I'm kinda sick of card games as long as it isn't a Hearthstone clone I'm down.

Top Bottom