• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy walks into Digital Extremes, gets lunch, discovers new game Keystone

angrygnat

Does anyone else think that leaking information and spoilers about upcoming projects without the companies knowledge is kind of a dick move?

Orayn

FPS with cards? Isn't that the same premise of that one xbox game that was getting remade but isn't getting remade?

Phantom Dust was 3rd person and not exactly a shooter, but yeah, kind of.

The recent screenshot of Hi-Rez Studio's new game also looked like a first person shooter that may have involved cards in some fashion.

Does anyone else think that leaking information and spoilers about upcoming projects without the companies knowledge is kind of a dick move?

Sure, but there's no point in trying to dance around it once the information is out there.

platocplx

This is why companies stress not to allow people to "piggyback" behind you when they come into the office but its so hard to police because our natural reaction is to hold the door open for someone as we walk in. Its very easy to not know if someone works in a place as long as they dress the part at least even for a day. People are either A. Oblivious B. Dont really talk to eachother and are busy working on their stuff or C. The company is large enough where everyone may not always interact with eachother so if they see you there they just assume you work there.

I hope the guy that let him in(honest mistake) doesn't get fired over it. I think the person in question should have at least been more vague about describing the game etc or be more new stuff coming from DE at some point! I think that was kinda shitty what they did.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I assume you are not a corporate spy, but work for a company that tests security for other companies?
I've tailgated on to the runway of a large Russian airport and back in again.

You can get into a lot of places if you look like you belong.

This was the funniest part.
No badge scanners at all like what?

unless you have single-entry doors (revolving or otherwise), your office will have many people come in without using their badges (or fingerprints, as it may be). MANY.

of course with fingerprint scanners you have the additional downside of people not having or needing badges, which could otherwise serve as a clue that somebody doesn't belong

boy I don't envy the meetings that company is going to have to endure for the next few weeks

Orayn

The Darkness 3 will never happen...we get a card game instead

tumblr_inline_ms9tqwdkVI1qz4rgp.gif

Pretty sure whether or not another Darkness game happens is up to 2K, and they could have it made by anyone they wanted.

I can't tell if this is hilarious or awful for Digital Extremes.

Yeah sometimes I wonder. This is basically free publicity, and since it's just vague rumours they don't have to stick to any promises. From a security standpoint it's awful I guess, but at least they now are going to be forced to improve in that department.

weevles

Feel bad for the employees who clearly violated every HR protocol, but how did they not know the guy wasn't an employee? Is Digital Extremes that large of a company? Also, Digital Extremes indeed. I'd change the title of that game if that's at all possible now...

The dude that held the door open is looking for a new job. Bad times.

I'd be surprised. if it wasn't him, it would have been any other number of people in the office. outside of maybe government jobs, I've never seen anybody get fired for being socially engineered

I mean I'm sure he's gonna have to spend some time with HR and whatever passes for security there but his own guilt will probably be the hardest part?

MrDaravon

While this is hilarious this is pretty sloppy security. My old job stressed the no piggybacking thing but it still happened, which specifically became a problem when an employee's ex was able to get in that way and assault her. Don't let people piggyback on you if you work at a place like this unless you specifically know them or something, you never fucking know.

unless you have single-entry doors (revolving or otherwise), your office will have many people come in without using their badges (or fingerprints, as it may be). MANY.
I figured the lunch room would have entries much like the London Underground with many single entries. Conventions have a policy to always show your badge. A meal card would function like a badge. Keep it in wallet and scan to get into the lunch room.
Finger scanner is nice, but have another layer.

The poor guy who he piggybacked in is going to get reamed. They surely now have a general time to check for which one of their tattooed employees scanned himself in before lunch.

Vire

Why would he describe who opened the door for him. What a fucking ass, now that employee is probably in deep shit for being a kind person and trusting that the person he was holding the door for wasn't some douchelord from Reddit.

Game sounds cool at least.

kiguel182

Yeah, this shouldn't be published.

The developers clearly aren't ready to show this off (or don't want to) and just because some guy went there fishing for info Kotaku should respect the devs and not post anything, unless they say it's okay.

This isn't journalism, it's just using stolen info for a story. Serves no one.

Orayn

The developers clearly aren't ready to show this off (or don't want to) and just because some guy went there fishing for info Kotaku should respect the devs and not post anything, unless they say it's okay.

Waiting for devs to be ready isn't journalism, it's regurgitating press releases.

It's also not "stolen" info if Kotaku independently verified the original Reddit post. That's called a scoop.

Ferrio

Banned

What? That's 100% journalism.

Pastry

Banned

I don't think you quite understand what journalism is.

People are always complaining about gaming journalism being in cahoots with the industry and then this happens and suddenly websites should respect the privacy of developers when they ask for info to be taken down.

Seriously, fuck that guy and fuck Kotaku. When even Reddit has higher standards than you for running a story you know something's wrong.

Err yeah, fuck Kotaku for doing reporting. Yeah...

You guys are freaking out like he leaked the source code or something. Yes, it's bad that we found out the name of the game and a 7 word breakdown of what it is. Yes, the guy is an asshole for sneaking in and doing this shit.

Should this be taken down? No. It'll never be taken down. It's out there now.

We have done far worse by datamining and looking at website or game source codes to determine what a developer is working on. We have done far worse... and no one complained then.

kiguel182

If you want a video game website that only publishes what developers say is OK to publish, I recommend sticking to one of the many websites that does just that.

I like Kotaku. I don't like people stealing information from devs and you publishing it like this should be public information or something.

Devs aren't corrupt politicians where everything they do should be open. I don't think this kind of stuff coming from respectable sites is cool at all.

Silvard

As soon as I saw the title was Keystone, I somehow knew cards would be involved.

But seriously, how many people work at DE that not a single person realized that this guy no one recognized wasn't an employee?

Nobody wants to be the asshole that doesn't recognize their coworkers.

Also ITT the game press should simultaneously be and not the extended PR arm of developers and publishers.

I like Kotaku. I don't like people stealing information from devs and you publishing it like this should be public information or something.

Devs aren't corrupt politicians where everything they do should be open. I don't think this kind of stuff coming from respectable sites is cool at all.

I repeat: We, as NeoGAF, have done far worse by datamining and looking at website or game source codes to determine what a developer is working on. We have done far worse... and no one complained then.

This is extremely shitty situation but Kotaku is not to blame here.

kiguel182

I don't think you quite understand what journalism is.

People are always complaining about gaming journalism being in cahoots with the industry and then this happens and suddenly websites should respect the privacy of developers when they ask for info to be taken down.

They should respect the privacy of developers of course they should.

Developers aren't your enemy. They are just people trying to make games. And leaking their stuff just hurts them for no reason.

This "us vs them" mentality is ridiculous.

What I want from games journalists is to be critical and to do investigative pieces like the recent ones about why THQ folded or one that Polygon did about the whole Milo thing. You know, the kind of stuff where you interview people and give insight into projects.

Using info some dude stole from Digital Extremes about an unnanounced game is not it. At all.

But I'm in the minority so whatever.

fedexpeon

Banned
I'd be surprised. if it wasn't him, it would have been any other number of people in the office. outside of maybe government jobs, I've never seen anybody get fired for being socially engineered

I mean I'm sure he's gonna have to spend some time with HR and whatever passes for security there but his own guilt will probably be the hardest part?

If it is an assessment, you won't get fired unless it is an additional audit that the director or the executives signed off on.
And boy, if the director is controlling the culture for his department and you got social engineered then you are screwed since now the audit will fail the director and hold him responsible for lack of training in his department.

Like I said, DE should be thankful that this guy was a fan and didn't look around to find where the network/server was, passwords in someone drawer or opening unlocked cabinets with confidential information.

Top Bottom