• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

I'm on a roll boys. Another legendary. That's 3 I think in less than 10 kegs. Got the choice between Avallach, Morkvarg and Philippa. Of course I chose Morky Mork (have Philippa already). Too bad I didn't get him before the Shieldsmith nerf.

Added a bit more removal to my deck and some frost since I don't really use the melee row. With the Roach strat once they blow 3 Swallow Potions I think you're in a pretty good position from there. It can be rough if you don't have the cards you need though

hoggert

Lucky! Haven't gotten a anything higher then an uncommon for ages, but my last choice of rares was a bunch of so-so cards and a Frightner. Giant bastard has carried me to quite a few last round victories. Grave Hag is probably even better with monster nest/nekkar warrior spam.

Joco

So I might be missing something... Why pay for cards in beta if everything will get wiped in the future? Or do you keep what you pay for?

So I might be missing something... Why pay for cards in beta if everything will get wiped in the future? Or do you keep what you pay for?
I'd imagine you'll get the same amount of kegs that you bought back. I still think it's a bit of a waste, since there will most likely be a wipe (not sure if they said anything in that regard, but that's usually how it is for betas).

Exentryk

I didn't play for quite some time. What did they nerf in the Skellige deck?

The buffers only buff for 2 points instead of 4. The bronze medics (Freyas) can't revive each other.

I'm on a roll boys. Another legendary. That's 3 I think in less than 10 kegs.

Gimme your luck.

Kegs bought with real money will get returned in the final game.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I'd imagine you'll get the same amount of kegs that you bought back. I still think it's a bit of a waste, since there will most likely be a wipe (not sure if they said anything in that regard, but that's usually how it is for betas).

They said currently they don't plan doing one but they reserve the right to do one if they feel it is needed(maybe related to how matchmaking during open beta will turn out and whether the pool of people is big enough so the perfected decks don't match up with the beginners constantly).
Animated gold Geralt will survive for all closed Beta testers though.

Yeah, there isn't any counters to weather yet, and weather wrecks NR and SCO buff strats. But there are special cards and unit cards coming that will have immunity to weather. Weather and Promote counters will be a focus of the next patch.

Good to hear cause I've been matching up against weather more lately and it destroys me cause I rely on the monster bronze 8 attack a lot to make trade decisions and I only have 1 weather clear in my deck currently, which can't keep up.
My best winrate by far is vs Northern realms weirdly, well maybe not that weird given that it's the most played one in MM currently for me. Really shows knowing the opponent's plan is really important. With Scoiatel I don't know what going on half the time(funnily they also seem to beat themselves a lot by exhausting all their cards super fast). Skellige(the revival deck) I rarely win when it gets to round 3.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

if there is a wipe you will get all your kegs back. say you have bought 20 then you get 20 applied to your account after a wipe.

"Ideally we do not want the reset to happen, but it is a closed beta and many things can happen. If there is a reset at some point, you will get back the kegs you bought with real currency. Hope this helps. :) "

source: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum/en/gwent/general-discussions-aa/6865230-kegs-level-etc

Really noticing how weak Skellige is now, especially compared to NR. It's just not possible to keep up with their power output and since people got a crap load of scraps for lucking onto non-standard leaders all these promote decks are running Roach, Yen, Baron, Igni, Borkh (could be my MMR too). Round 3 Borkh after they've done their promote shenanigans means you're fucked. How the hell is it fair that they can get a 15+ strength Olgierd in 2 turns (swallow + promote) meanwhile I've gotta throw a 5 shieldsmiths to get a 10 strength boost. Honestly fuck promotion. People have moved onto persistent units like Olgierd, Roach and the Botchling and while not as bonkers as what we saw with poor infantry it takes significantly less turns to execute. Even a mediocre execution provides a level of strength that's too difficult to overcome without getting in a deep card deficit. It's not a tit for tat game when you're dealing with that bullshit. No or little removal means you're losing this round and you're already losing or lost the next round too.

Shieldsmith carried the shit out of Skellige and the nerf is very much noticeable.

Stampy

So these are pretty significant changes. I'm new to card games. But are such drastic changes introduced usually only in the beta, or is it a standard thing developers do with card games. Since any significant deck building becomes meaningless in the long run. It's more like you are constantly adapting to whatever changes the developer desires to make, and that is kind of a drag... I mean it’s like a donkey vigorously chasing a carrot.

Exentryk

Looks like you gave me some of your luck, toastyToast. Just got to pick from Last Wish, Imlerith, and Pavetta. Went with Last Wish! Problem with silver cards is that NR's silver space is very competitive. Not sure if Last Wish is better than Priscilla, since I can res her multiple times, but Last Wish would be a once off use. Hmm...

Really noticing how weak Skellige is now, especially compared to NR.

Maybe look into running some control Skellige or weather Skellige. Skellige has the benefit of being able to see their whole deck in every match. So work that to your advatage.

So these are pretty significant changes. I'm new to card games.

Dunno. This is my first card game, and is also CDPR's first.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Really noticing how weak Skellige is now, especially compared to NR. It's just not possible to keep up with their power output and since people got a crap load of scraps for lucking onto non-standard leaders all these promote decks are running Roach, Yen, Baron, Igni, Borkh (could be my MMR too). Round 3 Borkh after they've done their promote shenanigans means you're fucked. How the hell is it fair that they can get a 15+ strength Olgierd in 2 turns (swallow + promote) meanwhile I've gotta throw a 5 shieldsmiths to get a 10 strength boost. Honestly fuck promotion. People have moved onto persistent units like Olgierd, Roach and the Botchling and while not as bonkers as what we saw with poor infantry it takes significantly less turns to execute. Even a mediocre execution provides a level of strength that's too difficult to overcome without getting in a deep card deficit. It's not a tit for tat game when you're dealing with that bullshit. No or little removal means you're losing this round and you're already losing or lost the next round too.

Shieldsmith carried the shit out of Skellige and the nerf is very much noticeable.

Okay, they destroyed my playstyle completely with these nerfs. I'll probably wait a couple of weeks until I get back to this game. I don't want to find a new way how to have fun with Skellige and then they turn over everything again.

Maybe look into running some control Skellige or weather Skellige. Skellige has the benefit of being able to see their whole deck in every match. So work that to your advatage.

That's not how I want to play the game.

---------

#MakeGwentGreatAgain

I've been slowly working towards completing discard deck (have enough for Lugos but he was nerfed) and this play style just isn't that great anymore. I don't really have any of the stuff I would need for a weather Skellige deck using Harald, missing all the dual weathers. I think Hjalmar was run in that setup but he got nerfed too. The people I get matched up with have cards too damn good to just switch to something else. It's kind of a flaw in the system.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Goddamn, was searching on youtube for helpful gwent content and it's been very unsuccessful. Like I was watching videos all from this month and a good chunk of them as recent as from a week ago and jesus people play so bad to the point it triggers me a total newb a little bit.

Like people are still doing the Eredin first then pass vs Northern Realms and going indepth about the strategy behind it while following up with "but if he does this op combo(AR promote) I can't win anyway so then it's over quick". And I'm just like whaaaat are you talking about that move is garbage >_< . Like what you know your losing condition so don't pass, rofl?

Yeah pretty much, Skellige Shieldsmiths basically were good round 1 cards that would be used to buff Olgierd or Mork or the Priestess or the Queensguard or Skirmishers, while they weren't enough to win a round at the beginning their true strength came to light on the last rounds.

I am still having fun with Skellige but I feel that they got nerfed really hard while they don't have powerful units, playing a discard deck or self wound deck leaves you too open for control decks since the key units start really weak between 1 to 3 in original Strength and you will usually want to discard your cards in the first round and maybe the second.

Speaking of Skellige

hjlmarv6u1l.jpg

God damn it, I REALLY HOPE CDPR doesn't do a wipe. I didn't bought a single keg because I knew of the possibility of a wipe but got lucky and got several legendary units by just playing the game, including 4 I crafted on my own.

Goddamn, was searching on youtube for helpful gwent content and it's been very unsuccessful. Like I was watching videos all from this month and a good chunk of them as recent as from a week ago and jesus people play so bad to the point it triggers me a total newb a little bit.

Like people are still doing the Eredin first then pass vs Northern Realms and going indepth about the strategy behind it while following up with "but if he does this op combo(AR promote) I can't win anyway so then it's over quick". And I'm just like whaaaat are you talking about that move is garbage >_< . Like what you know your losing condition so don't pass, rofl?

I don't look around too much, but I found once a dude called Kingblacktoof, he makes decent Gwent content.

i doubt they'll wipe, i can't imagine why they would, except if they for some reason think that betaers have too much of a 'head start' (which is a bad and non-nonsensical reason so I don't think they will)

Gonna take a break as well. Running into the same decks over and over and it's getting tiring. Bet on the wrong horse with Skellige and I don't have the mats to build a competitive deck for the types of players I'm getting matched against. Gonna see what they do with the next round of changes.

Kuosi

Gonna take a break as well. Running into the same decks over and over and it's getting tiring. Bet on the wrong horse with Skellige and I don't have the mats to build a competitive deck for the types of players I'm getting matched against. Gonna see what they do with the next round of changes.

Interesting, I've seen the variety go up since the patch hit

Interesting, I've seen the variety go up since the patch hit

I'd say a good 60% of what I run into is Henselt promote, some Eithne Scoiatael decks and occasionally Monster and Skellige. The Henselt promote decks are more aggravating than ye olde Foltest cheese if they have all the good NR cards (which I described above). I'm gonna wait till they figure out a way to make successfully promoting units not dictate the result of the entire game.

Kuosi

I'd say a good 60% of what I run into is Henselt promote, some Eithne Scoiatael decks and occasionally Monster and Skellige. The Henselt promote decks are more aggravating than ye olde Foltest cheese if they have all the good NR cards (which I described above). I'm gonna wait till they figure out a way to make successfully promoting units not dictate the result of the entire game.

Not gonna lie Operator Henselt is pretty disgusting

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
with the latest patch i've got way worse. losing a lot more games :( i don't know what to do in order to make my decks better. any cards i get are just spares or useless.

Sorian

Banned

Just binged an insane amount of matches (probably a good 20-25) and probably only lost 2 or 3 of them. All with my same skellige deck. Skellige isn't about buffing anymore, it's about spies and card advantage.

Just binged an insane amount of matches (probably a good 20-25) and probably only lost 2 or 3 of them. All with my same skellige deck. Skellige isn't about buffing anymore, it's about spies and card advantage.

Played a couple levels today. I don't know what happened yesterday but I played nothing but legit beasts. Every card on point. Everytime I thought, "I hope they don't have Igni" there was Igni or, "I hope this Scoia'tael dudes last card isn't Isengrim" and it's bloody Isengrim. Every "I hope they don't have ____", they had it. When I played today though I won my games fairly comfortably so I dunno

I really was talking specifically about NR there. Particularly that combo. A flimsy execution is seriously like 20 power for the rest of the game. It's like Eredin randomly being picked twice but much worse. Up against Monsters it isn't so bad, have a pretty good record against them. Scoia'tael I'm starting to have a problem with if they're full decked out with heavy removal and the suite of gold cards. Super tough to deal with if you can't consistent get their units off the board. Northern Realms, if they hit the hand lottery with the Olgierd + Roach strat, it's just maddening. You're thinking, "I can't let them have this round because if I do they'll get the next one too" That shit just irks me. Against any other faction when a round is over, it's over. At worst there's a giant Scorch target sitting there if it's one of those Hawker Support builds. The shieldsmith really brought Skellige's power closer to NR but without it now you can get wildly outpaced under the right circumstances. At least to Skellige's benefit they're a lot more consistent with how you can thin your deck. Although there are those odd games where you don't see any of your discard cards at all.

With regards to card advantage, how are you generating it? There are the two spy cards which may or may not produce card advantage overall and then there's getting Ciri. I don't think it's something the faction particularly excels at.

Exentryk

^ Birna, Donar, Udalryk, Decoy, Ciri, etc. The thing with Skellige is that it has a bunch of drawing cards that can be revived too. Throw in Last Wish and you should be able to get pretty much all the cards you want. The only issue can be if you don't draw any drawing cards, but that should be rare.

Anyway, I'm still sticking with my Radovid deck. It works well enough. There is no cheese, so the games are interesting. I like playing Skellige the most, since they usually are busy doing their own thing, and don't bother you with removals or weather. The games are usually close.

agh damn it lol thats twice this evening ive been wrecked by isengrim where i've thought to myself ill just use aglais to pull my opponents manticore venom to kill the horde of neophytes, but forget that isengrim actually removes all the affected special cards from the game

With regards to card advantage, how are you generating it? There are the two spy cards which may or may not produce card advantage overall and then there's getting Ciri. I don't think it's something the faction particularly excels at.

When I play as Skellige I gain card advantage with Birma, Donar, Udalryk (with some luck I would get something useful from my opponents graveyard) Ciri and Johnny to try to duplicate Birma or Ciri for the round you want to lose (alternatively you can use him to change Ciri once she returned to your hand) Also you could always use decoy but I haven't got one yet.

Speaking of legendary cards.

Twinsen343

After the NR got nerfed I think I'm going to invest in those 'kill weakest units twice in a row' cards

I have a pretty good success rate with a medic / baron resurrection deck, nothing like playing the baron on second round and placing like 5 cards in one turn on the board.

Think the monster decks are pretty powerful especially when they play eridin and ciri with like 16 strength then force you to play more cards to win.

I find if I win the first round generally I'll win overall.

tauke

Nothing like a 10 match losing streak and not a single of them bother to GG. :(

Matchmaking should factor in players who doesn't have insane deck. Oh maybe not...

I crafted Aglais and started playing a control Scoia deck. It's really fun but it's severely lacking in power. I need to craft some of the Scoiatael silvers and I could use an Isengrim for round 3.

Anyway this happened before. Baegalis worth every penny

4Hcouq2.gif

rac

Banned
Really don't understand how NR wasn't nerfed more. Skell is shit and I honestly don't see how ST can compete.

I've been playing Skellige since I first got into the closed beta 3 weeks ago. While I definitely felt like the shieldsmith nerf was huge, I'm still winning a fair percentage of my games. I even took the time to write up a Gwentify Deck entry. Lots of nice combos, card advantage, and 19 strength Skirmishers on the 3rd round always feels good.

Admittedly the deck feels weak against Monster Weather and NR combo promote decks, but even then it doesn't feel like an auto-lose against those decks with all the card draw to search for D Bomb, Clear Skies or Commander's Horn as needed.

Exentryk

Yeah, Scoia control is something I want to build eventually. It's crazy how much turn advantage Scoia can get.

Finished my daily 3 matches (won 3/3 with my usual Radovid deck). Saving up for Borkh.

Also been looking at what new cards are going to get added. Seems like Trololo will come to NR, and Djenge Frett will come to Skellige. Seems like some good neutral cards are also coming. Good stuff!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
starting to really lose interest in this. my deck isn't good enough and i've been losing a lot more than since the last patch. it's taking forever to get new cards and when i do get enough ore to buy a keg they usually end up duplicates. it's just no fun playing and losing most of the time. really disappointing since i was looking forward to it. i might just wait until it comes out of beta to return to it.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Gwent is such a tactically interesting game the more I play the more I appreciate.
The game you play when you have a super good idea of what your opponent deck is about and both players exhaust their hands each turn becomes so interesting.

I'm just about ok at having a super strong idea on most possible moves that would make me lose once both have around 5 cards left. And it's just the most satisfying thing to then find the solution on the order you need to play to win. It's very chess puzzle like.

I just won a match where I'm pretty sure the enemy was holding scorch I only had eredin + horn + swallow potion left. So I threw both my buff cards away instead of buffing eredin forcing the enemy to have scorch as the only card left in his hand with nothing to play it on so he had to pass and winning that way protecting my Eredin from it.

I just love that the type of thinking the game makes you do for these type of plays.
In comparison Hearthstone never felt to me like that, there it was way more about controlled rng and knowing the countless losing condition you could have or just playing on the curve like a zombie.

That said might totally be because I never had the cards to play a deck that was more tactically aligned for how I wanted to play.

Got done over again by super Roach. Dude buffed it up to 45 or something. Double commander's horn, the whole shebang. He ended up winning by 4 points at the end of it. Had to put up over 60 strength two rounds in a row. That's a tough ask card advantage or no. The crazy part is we had a very deep first round too and he still pulled that off.

Go to hell promote.

Got done over again by super Roach. Dude buffed it up to 45 or something. Double commander's horn, the whole shebang. He ended up winning by 4 points at the end of it. Had to put up over 60 strength two rounds in a row. That's a tough ask card advantage or no. The crazy part is we had a very deep first round too and he still pulled that off.
I'm not sure why they changed the way commander horn works. Being able to use it more than once on the same row seems way too much. With cards that let you reuse your previous special cards it could easily get out of hand.

I'm not sure why they changed the way commander horn works. Being able to use it more than once on the same row seems way too much. With cards that let you reuse your previous special cards it could easily get out of hand.

Reusing special cards is more of Scoia'tael thing. He had both Dandelion and a horn so two horns pretty much

Anustart

Didn't they say like 2 weeks ago a week from then everyone who signed up would be in? I signed up within first 5 minutes and no invite :(

Wagram

Logged in for the first time in a few days. Faced nothing but weather Monsters and Promote NR decks. Great meta that's going on here. Skellige seems to be the least played deck now since it blows.

Top Bottom