• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

It seems like they are screwing a lot of cards. Damn now everyone will have a Dimeritium bomb for the end, and I just got Lugos on a Free Keg... god damn it.

Also while I like the idea of Philippa not hurting gold units, that means that it is open season for rush-promote decks again and never ever passing on the first round against a NR player and for the love of god, you better have Scorch, Geralt Igni or Dimeritium bomb.

Also priestess of Freya not being able to resurrect each other is bullshit, it completely fucks up how Skellige is played, specially with the nerf of the shieldsmith as well.

This type of nerf will only hurt new players since this 2 units are essential for new Skellige Players, while I don't care since I think I have 3 of every Bronze unit in all the decks so I could build a new deck with no problems but for new players now it will be impossible for them to win as Skellige against other decks on the last rounds.

Glad monsters can't keep gold cards on the board. Playing Geralt and then passing on the opening to me was getting old, it never works that well anyway.

Glad monsters can't keep gold cards on the board. Playing Geralt and then passing on the opening to me was getting old, it never works that well anyway.

I usually played a Geralt or Eredin and basically storm the board with weather making my opponent waste card or gold cards. Now it seems like Weather decks recived a huge nerf along NR in general.

rac

Banned
It seems like they are screwing a lot of cards. Damn now everyone will have a Dimeritium bomb for the end, and I just got Lugos on a Free Keg... god damn it.

Also while I like the idea of Philippa not hurting gold units, that means that it is open season for rush-promote decks again and never ever passing on the first round against a NR player and for the love of god, you better have Scorch, Geralt Igni or Dimeritium bomb.

Also priestess of Freya not being able to resurrect each other is bullshit, it completely fucks up how Skellige is played, specially with the nerf of the shieldsmith as well.

This type of nerf will only hurt new players since this 2 units are essential for new Skellige Players, while I don't care since I think I have 3 of every Bronze unit in all the decks so I could build a new deck with no problems but for new players now it will be impossible for them to win as Skellige against other decks on the last rounds.

Not to mention the shieldsmith nerf kills mork and roach in skell.

Exentryk

NR's faction ability will also get countered by Dbomb. This would be the only faction ability that could be cancelled, and it seems unfair. They should change NR's faction ability and make it an increase of 2 to base strength when goldening cards.

Hope they give full refunds on all changed cards :-x

Lol, no.

tauke

Nothing like a close call match when both party has Commander Horn as their last card lol.

Won the match by one number higher than the opponent. So good.

Exentryk

Actually, DBomb may not work against promote tactics, since promotion changes base strength of the card. Dbomb will likely just remove the +2 golden buff and leave the card at 100 or whatever it was buffed to.

A simpler solution would have been to add demote cards that changed cards from Gold to Silver/Bronze. (This would become OP for Sco or other factions)
Let's see how this shakes out, but for now, continue on with buffing strats.

Buff strats + Philippa is still gonna be bullshit. Buff the hell out of units to bait it out, or bait it out with Philippa and do the other. People are gonna have start using weather.

squidyj

Can someone explains the An Craite Raider buff? Seems Skellige was hit pretty hard.

An Craite Raider gets played when it would have been discarded, this prevented it from interacting with cards that did something when you discarded a card like dimun pirate captain or that one boat card.

now you get to put your 4 power into play and trigger those effects.

Wagram

An Craite Raider gets played when it would have been discarded, this prevented it from interacting with cards that did something when you discarded a card like dimun pirate captain or that one boat card.

now you get to put your 4 power into play and trigger those effects.

Damn that's a pretty decent buff.

Looks like someone's plan borkhfired.

4TRiCqc.gif

ug medic rez chains needs ta go already

edit: EVERY FUCKIN TIME 'oh i can win if they just don't have restoration' Fdsifbasdidfbks

edit2: EVERY. FUCKING. TIME holdys fthis im sjust onwe win away frm the dnabgbkfgba

edit3: im only in round 2 of this game but i can guarantee you it's happening again

edit4: THERE IT IS

edit5: thank FUCKING god playing against a monster deck FUCK

Exentryk

Milled Francesca and got 200 scraps. Will replace her with Eithne for the same 200 scraps when the patch hits.

In the mean time, I got to 800 scraps and crafted Decoy. Really really good investment! The turn advantage is great, but it also gives you a lot more flexibility with NR, as you can use an extra medic, or reaver scout or Dandelion.

Looks like someone's plan borkhfired.

4TRiCqc.gif

Lmao, well done! I love messing with B3J. Turn it silver on the last count and it'll burn itself. Or promote your strongest cards and he'll burn his own cards, lol. Or since I use Radovid, I also have the option of killing it outright (non-NR opponent).

EDIT - Patch is out:
@PlayGwent
Patch 0.8.16 is out now PC and XBOX ONE!

Full list of changes can be found here: http://bit.ly/2gcgab1

EDIT 2 - When picking cards from a keg, you now can see if you own the card or not.

I was saying good bye to my skellige deck. I am gonna miss buff my priestess of Freya with ShieldSmiths for 2 rounds and then storm the 3rd round with priestess over 7 or 11 while playing a 11-15 Skirmisher. I loved you Skellige you were much more fun to play than other decks even if you weren't that flexible.

If I leave the game Open forever, will the update install itself?

Bought King Bran because I've been meaning to for a while. Why would anyone use this thing? Auto card disadvantage. Should give 1 card of your choice and another random one.

rac

Banned
I was saying good bye to my skellige deck. I am gonna miss buff my priestess of Freya with ShieldSmiths for 2 rounds and then storm the 3rd round with priestess over 7 or 11 while playing a 11-15 Skirmisher. I loved you Skellige you were much more fun to play than other decks even if you weren't that flexible.

If I leave the game Open forever, will the update install itself?

Do you think shieldsmiths are terrible now? Doesn't this mean mork is unplayable too?

edit: It's nice that they buffed cerys but honestly it doesn't feel good enough, you have to devote 3 other cards to her.

I might try Bran a bit more in new skell because lugos isn't good anymore and I don't mind discarding quensguard. It will at least guarantee I see all the cards in my deck if the last 50/50 draw doesn't go my way.

Do you think shieldsmiths are terrible now? Doesn't this mean mork is unplayable too?

edit: It's nice that they buffed cerys but honestly it doesn't feel good enough, you have to devote 3 other cards to her.

I might try Bran a bit more in new skell because lugos isn't good anymore and I don't mind discarding quensguard. It will at least guarantee I see all the cards in my deck if the last 50/50 draw doesn't go my way.

The nerf on the shieldsmiths was brutal, because they were viable for first round and second round as well, I used to discard my skirmishers and then bail them out and then use the shieldsmiths on my priestess knowing that I will be able to medic her out later. Personally I think the buff on the discards decks aren't that great, specially when resurrecting units is the key ability of Skellige.

Discard decks are also awesome, I build a 25-27 cards deck (without Bran, otherwise I would add some more units) and I usually have almost all my units in the deck by the end of the 3rd round which basically gave Lugos a raging buff, sadly that tactic has died now.

Actually, DBomb may not work against promote tactics, since promotion changes base strength of the card. Dbomb will likely just remove the +2 golden buff and leave the card at 100 or whatever it was buffed to.

A simpler solution would have been to add demote cards that changed cards from Gold to Silver/Bronze. (This would become OP for Sco or other factions)
Let's see how this shakes out, but for now, continue on with buffing strats.

I am going to test out the rush promote strategy now, lets see if CDPR completely fucked up this one, since at least you had a chances against this when being NR now it seems like only Dijkstra + Igni/Geralt could work and that is if the other player decided to buff the cards evenly and didn't save up a final buff to leave them not vulnerable to scorch.

The shieldsmiths feel negligible now. Basically there to avoid scorch

Shieldsmith's are pretty much worthless now. It's not worth the space at only 6 points.

Definitely but like I said, scorch protection since Skellige doesn't have any other uneven buffs it can provide unlike NR. I'm finding I can still do a whole lot of reviving with Restoration/Sigrfrida/Decoy. The +2 to original strength from Restoration is surprisingly nice to have. You can a short chain with either Restoration or Sig then Decoy one of the medics and do it again. To be fair you can do this before but it seems more valuable now. Decoy is just super flexible in general. Don't know how I lived without it.

Played six or seven games post patch and only lost once with my boring boats and pirates Skellige build. It's consistent but sleep inducing. Really wanna try the discard with Cerys but the lack of weather immunity hard is hard to deal with. Even just the pirates manhandle Monster weather deck. It's awesome.

tauke

MhlXRGA.jpg

Both of us use up all of our cards in the first round and I got lucky to draw Geralt in the second round.

The opponent immediately passed after I put Geralt. You can't replicate this feeling against the AI in The Witcher 3 hehe.

rac

Banned
The shieldsmiths feel negligible now. Basically there to avoid scorch

Definitely but like I said, scorch protection since

I guess but it completely destroys the mork/roach deck that didn't care about getting scorched at all. It was so fun.

edit: This patch killed all the fun I had with skell. I really don't care about the pirates and ships discard effect.

Wagram

Skellige feels so weak now with all these nerfs. Why were they hit so hard? It's not like the win rate was amazing or anything. I was 50/50 most of the time at days end.

The new strategy with the discards is boring.

Wait bomb doesn't even touch promoted units in NR?

This patch is terrible.
I think I read that when a unit is promoted its current strength becomes its base strength. Which doesn't make sense really, I hope they'll change it. As it is, you either bomb before they promote (but they could easily buff them again) or you don't use it and it's the same as before the patch.

Apparently it's just the +2 lmao

I just had a poor soul test it, yeah it is only the +2 of the promotion. IT IS INSANE! Guess I will leave the game for a while if people start to abuse this again, since it isn't fun to basically just throw cards to see if the NR player is going for the rush promote bullshit (now even bigger bullshit) , because if you were playing NR, you could always use Phillipa, now if you don't have Dimeritium Bomb or Geralt Igni and Scorch, you are shit out of luck, specially if you build an offensive deck.

Top Bottom