• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

Had like 16 kegs to open and bought another 15. Got a decent number of gold cards, though nothing I would consider using in any of my decks.

Slapped together a quick deck using Poor Infantry and the new base strength increasing special ability. Beat a Skellige deck, a ST deck, a big monster deck, and got crushed by two weather decks. I might have to play around with Quen or something, because NR just has no answer to weather.

What do we think of Aard for a Monster Weather deck?

I am using it with Coral in a Skellige discard deck and so far it has been fantastic. My only problem with the patch is that when you discards cards from your hand you don't get to pick two cards (or one) and then choose which one/s to discard, it kinda makes you want a terrible mulligan so you can actually use Ermion without crippling yourself. Other than that I think the patch has been pretty good but it seems that a lot of people are complaining about the patch or that is what I hear.

I need to get Renew, but I don't know how to put it in the deck to make it work, also I haven't seen good use of the Mardroeme card so far since no one is playing Ocvist anymore.

The change to Ermion and Svanrige is pretty annoying. Can't even use them anymore unless you have discard fodder. Last Wish is the same as before though.

I am using it with Coral in a Skellige discard deck and so far it has been fantastic. My only problem with the patch is that when you discards cards from your hand you don't get to pick two cards (or one) and then choose which one/s to discard, it kinda makes you want a terrible mulligan so you can actually use Ermion without crippling yourself. Other than that I think the patch has been pretty good but it seems that a lot of people are complaining about the patch or that is what I hear.

I need to get Renew, but I don't know how to put it in the deck to make it work, also I haven't seen good use of the Mardroeme card so far since no one is playing Ocvist anymore.

Follow up: Aard rocks for weather decks. Not only does it knock of a row of non-golds into a weathered row it takes the 1 damage after weather effects so you can kill an entire row of monsters with one card.

Opened up about 15 kegs for the new patch, didn't get a single new card from the patch, not even the common Mardroeme T_T No Legendaries either, but at least I seem to have gotten more Epics than usual.

Damn it. I opened up 3 legendaries that I was somewhat ambivalent about ( Imlerith, Yennefer and Kambi), except that Imlerith was animated. I thought I already had a non-animated Imlerith (and I know that the "You have x number of this card tracks animated and non-animated separately), so I took Kambi. I should have just taken the animated Imlerith.

Damn it. I opened up 3 legendaries that I was somewhat ambivalent about ( Imlerith, Yennefer and Kambi), except that Imlerith was animated. I thought I already had a non-animated Imlerith (and I know that the "You have x number of this card tracks animated and non-animated separately), so I took Kambi. I should have just taken the animated Imlerith.

ohh... thats no good

oh haha the troll says more funny things now

lol. Day after I spend my entire scrap fortune on Discard skellige it gets nerfed into oblivion. I mean I expected nerfs. Just not this bad.

Ah well. Progression isn't fucked anymore so I guess I'll just earn more scrap again.

Also this game wants me to play Northern Realms because it keeps giving me their gold and legendary cards. I have the dude who spawns a Lubberkin or Bloogosomething. And the dude who adds 3 strength to 3 non-gold units.

But that isn't the good NR deck. The good NR deck is Radovoid control right? How much scrap does that shit cost?

saved up for 33 kegs, opening them went suspiciously fast.......

of note, i got

animated radovid
milva
whispess
animated dagon
animated eredin
trololo
yennefer
weavess
draug
odrin
animated ciri

Yup you messed up. Animated legendaries are worth a regular legendary in scraps

edit: Actually they must have changed it. Scrap for the same amount as the non-animated cards

So how does this impact us F2P-ers: Easier to get the scraps to get boosters now? Less worrying about winning games to get better cards?

Daily progressed is based on rounds won not matches, so it should be a bit easier to complete those unless you're getting consistently shut-out 2-0.

So how does this impact us F2P-ers: Easier to get the scraps to get boosters now? Less worrying about winning games to get better cards?

I haven't spend a cent in the game so far, I am waiting for the game to be out of Beta, and I will say that with the current system it is easier for new comers to earn ore easier.

The older system was basically 3 wins for your first 100 ore, 6 for 75 and so for I think, the current one is basically 6 rounds for 100 ore, 12 rounds for 75 etc etc, so in theory the system is basically the same with the exception that you are kinda rewarded if you lose a match. So for new comers that more likely lose more than win they will progress at least somewhat to earn enough ore to open 1 or 2 kegs a day.

I like the new progression system a lot more and so far I've been matched with opponents that seem to have a similar level to mine. My losses were just due to shitty choices. There are a few changes to my monster deck that I need to adjust to, but that's cool, there's even more variety now.

Also visually the game just looks a lot more appealing.

The progression change is pretty elegant. So basically if you never win it only takes twice as long to progress as someone who always wins. That is unless you're getting 2-0'd for some reason.

hoggert

Finally got around to crafting Cirian and Milva to do a bounce house Eithne deck. Ugh. I can't tell you how dirty I feel building card advantage then knocking two of their high strength cards back to their hands after they pass third round. Straight up bullshit, did it to a SK mill deck's 20+ skirmisher and didn't get a GG lol.

Glad they didn't nerf Borkh or Octvist into the ground. Had a couple of good games against some Radovid decks and a Henselt dragon promote/revive during my time in quickplay and ranked.

City 17

I'm a F2P-er too, and will remain so. As Zeppelin said it's much better for the new comers, and a little bit better for the veterans.

Did anyone tried Keyran for Monsters? Seems like a great card now that he increases base strength and you can't D-bomb him, It seems like CDPR changed quite a few cards from what we knew would do. Coral also changed and by the lords her change is fucking fantastic, not only works as control, combined with Geralt Aard is a weapon of mass destruction.

Coral seems like an even better Philippa. I'd totally craft the card but I don't think it'll survive a patch

The issue is that Skellige needed a unit that created weather otherwise why have immune weather units at all? The issue I think that she needs to be an agile unit and create weather only on the row she is played. The think is that she combines so well with Geralt that it doesn't even need to be her, since you can replace her with Skellige Storm. I don't see a need to patch her other than maybe make it an agile unit that targets specific rows with weather.

How does Geralt:Aard work with enemy units in the siege row? Does it push them to the melee row or do they just not move?

It doesn't. It only works with units in the Melee row or the Range row. That is why it works so well with Coral, since she works as control for the Siege Row and with Geralt Aard you can decimate the Melee Row or Range Row.

Oh ok I checked the card description in game and you can only put Geralt:Aard in melee or ranged row. I guess that's the first card that does that? (Only in melee/ranged as opposed to being either 1 row or all rows)

I just spent my scrap stockpile crafting Borkh and Shani and am running a crappy versio nof the Borkh control deck now.

Oh ok I checked the card description in game and you can only put Geralt:Aard in melee or ranged row. I guess that's the first card that does that? (Only in melee/ranged as opposed to being either 1 row or all rows)

I just spent my scrap stockpile crafting Borkh and Shani and am running a crappy versio nof the Borkh control deck now.

Bad timing with Borhk since there is already a counter to it. In fact there is a great counter in the monster deck. I used it and it works perfectly against Borkh. I basically crafted the Keyran and I run 3 matches and the times I got it in the mulligan I destroyed the people playing Borhk. I truly believe the Keyran isn't going to survive the patch and even if they make it take only 2 units or make it D bombable it will still be a strong card. I can't decided witch of the new cards I love the most, The Keyran works fine on its own but Coral and Gerald Aard are a combination out of this world.

Bad timing with Borhk since there is already a counter to it. In fact there is a great counter in the monster deck. I used it and it works perfectly against Borkh. I basically crafted the Keyran and I run 3 matches and the times I got it in the mulligan I destroyed the people playing Borhk. I truly believe the Keyran isn't going to survive the patch and even if they make it take only 2 units or make it D bombable it will still be a strong card. I can't decided witch of the new cards I love the most, The Keyran works fine on its own but Coral and Gerald Aard are a combination out of this world.
Oh I didn't realize they changed Kayran so that the buff is to base strength! Man, that makes it so good now.

JustinBB7

This update really made the game so much better. Ranked + Leader board + new cards + rewards for rounds. Along with the polishes, make it great. Actually makes me want to play again regardless of wipe. Though I still hope they don't. The potential wipe kept me from playing but this new update makes me want to play a lot. Can't wait for the next big update with hopefully the first free campaign they talked about.

Just got into the beta and love it. Will your collection Cary over once the game is released ?

They keep saying only if they have too, they never commit to an answer which is really annoying.

I finally got to the first 100 in ranked! Still in silver league though...

This update really made the game so much better. Ranked + Leader board + new cards + rewards for rounds. Along with the polishes, make it great. Actually makes me want to play again regardless of wipe. Though I still hope they don't. The potential wipe kept me from playing but this new update makes me want to play a lot. Can't wait for the next big update with hopefully the first free campaign they talked about.

They keep saying only if they have too, they never commit to an answer which is really annoying.

There is going (or there was) a CDPR stream to talk about this patch and the next one I would guess, like last time. I also hope they don't do a wipe. I have been loving the patch and for some reason I have encounter much more SK and Monster players than NR or ST players in ranked mode, some people are already dropping the old cards that made the meta (cough cough Borkh) and picking up the new ones, it will be a good couple of days until the meta is settle but I would guess that Buff Monster Value cards with Kayran and SK with Geralt Aard and Coral will climb up the ranks in the "meta decks" so far are my favorite decks for ranked.

Given that I'm only level 11 and already opening 30 scrap kegs I think I'll hold off on buying kegs. I feel like the severely limited card pool and lack of scrap refund for nerfed cards will prevent some people from actually paying. Like kegs are pretty much just to get scrap. But the scrap you invest could go to waste as your deck gets hit by the nerf bat.

Though I guess that's part of the trick. Like now everyone will invest in Radovid Control/NR, and next patch a bunch of NR golds and silvers will be nerfed. So everyone gets screwed, but the F2P players get screwed harder. So then there's incentive to buy kegs even if they are just a source of scrap and even if the game continues the "sucks to be you" policy on nerfs.

So what would be the point in buying packs? Have they said those will be refunded? I'd love to start grinding on the game for cards but if it will be reset seems like a waste to play too much.

Given that I'm only level 11 and already opening 30 scrap kegs I think I'll hold off on buying kegs. I feel like the severely limited card pool and lack of scrap refund for nerfed cards will prevent some people from actually paying. Like kegs are pretty much just to get scrap. But the scrap you invest could go to waste as your deck gets hit by the nerf bat.

Though I guess that's part of the trick. Like now everyone will invest in Radovid Control/NR, and next patch a bunch of NR golds and silvers will be nerfed. So everyone gets screwed, but the F2P players get screwed harder. So then there's incentive to buy kegs even if they are just a source of scrap and even if the game continues the "sucks to be you" policy on nerfs.

What level were you before the global reset to 10? Before, you could assume that, say level 50 meant you have maybe opened 70 free kegs or so, now I don't know.

I do wish they did the "mill for craft cost" thing on changed cards but I also feel like that does hurt the variety of decks after a new patch, since everyone just switches quickly to the new cheese.

What level were you before the global reset to 10? Before, you could assume that, say level 50 meant you have maybe opened 70 free kegs or so, now I don't know.

I do wish they did the "mill for craft cost" thing on changed cards but I also feel like that does hurt the variety of decks after a new patch, since everyone just switches quickly to the new cheese.

Level 12 before the global reset.

wait did borkh stay demoted when sent to the graveyard previously?

that shit sucks

guy borkhed, demoted, and then even promoted him after but when he hit the graveyard, he went back to silver

wait did borkh stay demoted when sent to the graveyard previously?

that shit sucks

guy borkhed, demoted, and then even promoted him after but when he hit the graveyard, he went back to silver

I think next patch they will make him Relentless or Peramdeath.

Also holllly fuck NR has so many revival cards. I'm using a shit NR deck since I happened to luck into a Baron (Lubberkin spawn dude).

I crafted Shani, and her + Baron + 3 field medics = tons of revival.

Also 3x Redian Elite + Reinforcements is insane. Requires an immediate -6 str answer from the opponent or you pretty much take Round 1 if you start with the combo.

I use Blue Stripes Commandos but I'm pretty sure they arent that great. But field medics reviving them isn't too bad. And they make an ok target for Reaver Scout.

I plan on crafting Nenneke next.

I think next patch they will make him Relentless or Peramdeath.

Also holllly fuck NR has so many revival cards. I'm using a shit NR deck since I happened to luck into a Baron (Lubberkin spawn dude).

I crafted Shani, and her + Baron + 3 field medics = tons of revival.

Also 3x Redian Elite + Reinforcements is insane. Requires an immediate -6 str answer from the opponent or you pretty much take Round 1 if you start with the combo.

I use Blue Stripes Commandos but I'm pretty sure they arent that great. But field medics reviving them isn't too bad. And they make an ok target for Reaver Scout.

I plan on crafting Nenneke next.

NR has 6 medics, Skellige has 5. The difference is all 5 of Skellige's medics get to pick their target, plus all 3 of the cards on bronze, 2 are silver. For NR, there are two golds, a silver, and the three bronze draw at random.

As for Borkh, demoting and replaying him is pretty much the only real strategy NR has at the moment. Any Henselt or Foltest deck based around buffing your units is mostly garbage. Against Monsters you'll never be able to buff through repeated weather, against Skellige they always carry a D-bomb and the way they can cycle through the deck means they pretty much guaranteed to have it every game, against Scoi'tel you maybe have a chance. So generally speaking running Borkh+Radovid and trying to pull Borkh out at least two, sometimes three times is really the viable strat NR has at the moment.

edit - Also, a heads up but there's a new part of the tutorial about the deck building, collection, and shop. If you run through all three you get some ore, scrap and a keg. I just opened my free keg and got a Johnny.

So I crafted Coral and she's pretty sweet. It's a first light away from being a vanilla 6 str gold but late in the game it can do some serious work. Also crafted Aard and I think the damage it does is a bit over the top. Even without it it'd still be an excellent card. Comparing Coral to Philippa like I did before, they changed Philippa so that they don't get returned to their original strength if they're played under weather and then have clear skies played. Only d-bomb works. I reckon they should return Philippa back to 6 strength. It's really hard to use her in a lot of cases. Also thematically you could always get rid of her with Radovid which is kind of funny.

Top Bottom