• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

wait did borkh stay demoted when sent to the graveyard previously?

that shit sucks

guy borkhed, demoted, and then even promoted him after but when he hit the graveyard, he went back to silver

I think what's happening is: Demotion is permanent, but promotion is till end of round, i.e. guy plays borkh, then demotes him -> He's permanently silver. When rezed and promoted (say, via Shani), at the end of the round he's silver again, similar to what would happen if you promoted a card that was never gold in the first place.

Seeing a bunch of interesting decks on Twitch, I keep bemoaning the fact that I don't have the scrap to craft the cards needed :(

Nekker devouring Kayren deck is cool, but I'm missing the scrap for Kayren, Caretaker and Renew.

ST trap deck is interesting but I'm missing scrap for Aeromancy and Iorveth.

Skellige weather control deck is neat but I'd need scrap for Aeromancy, Coral and maybe Hyalmar.

Oh well.

Hjalmar seems straight up better than Cerys now. 15 out of the box now and a chance to get taken up to 25. Getting Cerys to 15 can take some work and I rarely res her.

Also, a heads up but there's a new part of the tutorial about the deck building, collection, and shop. If you run through all three you get some ore, scrap and a keg. I just opened my free keg and got a Johnny.

cool... also the fiend in the tutorial games is animated, but animated fiend isn't yet in the collection

NR has 6 medics, Skellige has 5. The difference is all 5 of Skellige's medics get to pick their target, plus all 3 of the cards on bronze, 2 are silver. For NR, there are two golds, a silver, and the three bronze draw at random.

As for Borkh, demoting and replaying him is pretty much the only real strategy NR has at the moment. Any Henselt or Foltest deck based around buffing your units is mostly garbage. Against Monsters you'll never be able to buff through repeated weather, against Skellige they always carry a D-bomb and the way they can cycle through the deck means they pretty much guaranteed to have it every game, against Scoi'tel you maybe have a chance. So generally speaking running Borkh+Radovid and trying to pull Borkh out at least two, sometimes three times is really the viable strat NR has at the moment.

edit - Also, a heads up but there's a new part of the tutorial about the deck building, collection, and shop. If you run through all three you get some ore, scrap and a keg. I just opened my free keg and got a Johnny.

Yeah I know I need Bortk and Radovid for a "real" deck.

But the deck I listed is all I've got.

God damn it, I lost 3 matches in the last day because of connection issues and the worse part I was winning all of them on the last freaking round and got a lost on all of them. NOT COOL, specially when I am playing ranked.

God damn it, I lost 3 matches in the last day because of connection issues and the worse part I was winning all of them on the last freaking round and got a lost on all of them. NOT COOL, specially when I am playing ranked.

I just got disconnected literally seconds before the victory screen. Fucking rage inducing. My opponent must've been really happy.

City 17

Yeah, very annoying, I had a 4 card advantage in the last round... connection issues... had saved some of the best cards for last... connection issues... and I've double checked my connection, and it's super fine.

That's why I stay away from ranked play for the moment.

Mardoeme + Poor Infantry is the new cheese now. Basically they pull out Poor Infantry and buff one as high as possible and duplicate it with Foltest, turning that one strong poor infantry to three. From there they can revive one of the strong units with Nenneke which will duplicate the strong one again. Eventually the graveyard is full of strong ass Poor Infantry so the medics are very likely to pull one. The finishing move is to bring out a strong poor infantry unit with Shani for about 30 gold strength in one move. The worst part is removing them only fills their graveyard with Poor Infantry

It literally looks like a virus spreading before your very eyes!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Daily progressed is based on rounds won not matches, so it should be a bit easier to complete those unless you're getting consistently shut-out 2-0.

I haven't spend a cent in the game so far, I am waiting for the game to be out of Beta, and I will say that with the current system it is easier for new comers to earn ore easier.

The older system was basically 3 wins for your first 100 ore, 6 for 75 and so for I think, the current one is basically 6 rounds for 100 ore, 12 rounds for 75 etc etc, so in theory the system is basically the same with the exception that you are kinda rewarded if you lose a match. So for new comers that more likely lose more than win they will progress at least somewhat to earn enough ore to open 1 or 2 kegs a day.

I'm a F2P-er too, and will remain so. As Zeppelin said it's much better for the new comers, and a little bit better for the veterans.

Sounds good. I'll have to try--

"Our servers are overloaded! Try again later!"

:| Well, guess I'll try in like 15 mins and see if I can get some scraps I guess.

Mardoeme + Poor Infantry is the new cheese now. Basically they pull out Poor Infantry and buff one as high as possible and duplicate it with Foltest, turning that one strong poor infantry to three. From there they can revive one of the strong units with Nenneke which will duplicate the strong one again. Eventually the graveyard is full of strong ass Poor Infantry so the medics are very likely to pull one. The finishing move is to bring out a strong poor infantry unit with Shani for about 30 gold strength in one move. The worst part is removing them only fills their graveyard with Poor Infantry

It literally looks like a virus spreading before your very eyes!

I tried a bit of that when the patch came out. It's a bit unreliable. If you don't pull Mardoeme on the open you're kind of fucked. It also doesn't work as well against Monsters since weather decks will just keep your Infantry at 1, and large monster decks will rob your graveyard.

I tried a bit of that when the patch came out. It's a bit unreliable. If you don't pull Mardoeme on the open you're kind of fucked. It also doesn't work as well against Monsters since weather decks will just keep your Infantry at 1, and large monster decks will rob your graveyard.

Yeah I just tried this deck today, it definitely feels like you're gambling super hard to have one Poor Fucking Infantry and at least 2 mushrooms, if not in hand than at least in the first round after you play cards like Priscila and Stennis to look for it. Then you need Neneke/Bloody Baron (which I don't have!) and Shani to reliably res your buffed PFI in the following rounds.

FYI against monsters what you do is to make sure you win round 1, then foltest your buffed PFI (even if he's under weather!) so they can't steal all your copies of the buffed PFI with Caretaker/Griffons. The Nekker Devoring Kayran decks I'm seeing also don't tend to run weather (they play large strength on their melee rows to feed Kayran eventually), so it hasn't been that rough a matchup for me against monsters. If anything I think the ST deck that constantly recycles Fireball Trap is rough since they can keep killing your PFI before they get a chance to spawn a second copy of themselves in the first turn.

I opened Kayran in a keg today, and managed to put together the scrap for Aeromancy and Geralt: Aard. Feels pretty good.

I had a legendary come up again finally. Choice was Regis/Morkvarg (owned)/Ele'yas. I ended up going with Regis because Ele'yas isn't all that good anymore right? Not that he was great before but Isengrim only spawns 1 neophyte and they changed dragoon

Regis seems pretty underwhelming.

I opened Kayran in a keg today, and managed to put together the scrap for Aeromancy and Geralt: Aard. Feels pretty good.

Congrats. The monster consume deck looks really fun. Pretty expensive starting from scratch though.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I signed up for the beta on Xbox One but no longer have the console so the key I just got today is no use to me.

RWK2D-3Q74G-X4YFK-MDJ7H-3T9KZ

Have fun! :)

Yeah, very annoying, I had a 4 card advantage in the last round... connection issues... had saved some of the best cards for last... connection issues... and I've double checked my connection, and it's super fine.

That's why I stay away from ranked play for the moment.

Yeah I got so salty I haven't play gwent since the last connection issue. The worse part is that I usually listen music on youtube and I never had a disconnect issue with youtube, after the second time I opened up 2 command prompts and did a ping to my local router and some random dns server and didn't find a single issue with my connection when the third disconnect happen.

After almost 25 hours with this game I'm starting to believe finding golds in kegs is some kind of myth perpetuated to keep fools like me playing.

I am fucking constantly getting beaten by lower levels spamming golds.

Guess my only choice is to craft one but that is just grindy as fuck

After almost 25 hours with this game I'm starting to believe finding golds in kegs is some kind of myth perpetuated to keep fools like me playing.

I am fucking constantly getting beaten by lower levels spamming golds.

Guess my only choice is to craft one but that is just grindy as fuck

Believe you me I know the feeling of losing to decks that have a bajillion gold cards when you have none. It's definitely frustrating. With that said however: I'm relatively certain they've increased the rate of drops on gold with the new patch, so hang in there. Now that you earn progress towards rewards with just rounds won it's normally a matter of grinding out some games too to get kegs. If you can get past that initial frustration and still enjoy the game I think you'll be set.

I did a cheapo Skellige resurrection based deck when I was first starting out, and others in my position did Monsters Weather. Both have been nerfed but I think they're still good starting archetypes. If anything, avoid Scoia'tel since that faction tends to need expensive cards, although with Isengrim nerfed this might not be as true as it used to be.

Believe you me I know the feeling of losing to decks that have a bajillion gold cards when you have none. It's definitely frustrating. With that said however: I'm relatively certain they've increased the rate of drops on gold with the new patch, so hang in there. Now that you earn progress towards rewards with just rounds won it's normally a matter of grinding out some games too to get kegs. If you can get past that initial frustration and still enjoy the game I think you'll be set.

I did a cheapo Skellige resurrection based deck when I was first starting out, and others in my position did Monsters Weather. Both have been nerfed but I think they're still good starting archetypes. If anything, avoid Scoia'tel since that faction tends to need expensive cards, although with Isengrim nerfed this might not be as true as it used to be.

Oh don't worry I'm still enjoying the game very much !

Especially now that I went ahead and milled all the cards from my Skellige/NR/Scoia decks that were worth 10 scraps or more. I only left the leaders.

I only play the monster deck anyway.

Got enough scraps to craft 2 golds.

Take that, stupid drop rate !

Edit : What prompted me to do this is that right after my previous post, I finally got a gold from a keg... AND IT WAS FUCKING EREDIN

I've been tweaking my monster weather deck and my new favorite opening gambit is to lay down a Villentrettenmerth with a ancient foglet or nithral. Opponent almost always gives me the round.

Premium Kambi vs. Premium Regis? I need your guidance GAF. I mainly play Skellige these days so the fact that Kambi is Skell only doesnt dampen my mood too much but my second most played ends up being Monster and Regis, being a neutral, helps my everyone. Admittedly I don't see Kambi used ... ever but I feel like I could come up with an extra cheesy round 1 strat that ends up nuking all of my intentionally discardable cards anyway. Basically it MIGHT synergize with the way im currently playing Skellige (throw round 1 regardless). Also giving me the choice of Imlreith but hes not animated so screw him in particular.

Who looks the coolest? Such a shame that you can't look into the card details while on the selection Keg screen and both cards have a secondary animation.

Premium Kambi vs. Premium Regis? I need your guidance GAF. I mainly play Skellige these days so the fact that Kambi is Skell only doesnt dampen my mood too much but my second most played ends up being Monster and Regis, being a neutral, helps my everyone. Admittedly I don't see Kambi used ... ever but I feel like I could come up with an extra cheesy round 1 strat that ends up nuking all of my intentionally discardable cards anyway. Basically it MIGHT synergize with the way im currently playing Skellige (throw round 1 regardless). Also giving me the choice of Imlreith but hes not animated so screw him in particular.

Who looks the coolest? Such a shame that you can't look into the card details while on the selection Keg screen and both cards have a secondary animation.

I'd take Kambi to be honest.

Got the scraps for Hjalmar now but I'm not sure whether to craft him or not. I feel like the 15 base strength is gonna get toned down at some point. So much other cool stuff to craft as well. What a time to be alive

Also had a premium King Bran come up. Easiest choice ever
chose something else

I'd take Kambi to be honest.

Yeah I ended up taking the Kambi. There's no doubt that Regis was a useful card but only in a "I dont have any specialized golds for this deck" kind of way vs. just being universally useful or round defining like a Borkh. Kambi is a fun and interesting challenge of making a deck that makes the card work, Regis was useful but boring and safe in comparison.

Got the scraps for Hjalmar now but I'm not sure whether to craft him or not. I feel like the 15 base strength is gonna get toned down at some point. So much other cool stuff to craft as well. What a time to be alive

Also had a premium King Bran come up. Easiest choice ever
chose something else

The 15 base strength was already buffed up from last patch where it was 10. If anything changes it'll likely be between those two numbers.

hoggert

Just some friendly advice not to use Decoy on Lord of Undvik because of the obvious.

I have done that twice when I was really tired. First time, it was some hybrid control (dragons + specials) discard (lots of booooats) deck that just shut mine down and after my misplay, we both just tried to get Hjallmar's str as high as possible. Second time I actually won saving the frost giant for my final play to edge by with 1 str lol

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i can't keep up in this game so stopped playing. with one of the recent patches it feels like everything went to shit. i was winning a decent amount of matches but now i'm getting destroyed all the time. i might come back when the game comes out of beta.

i can't keep up in this game so stopped playing. with one of the recent patches it feels like everything went to shit. i was winning a decent amount of matches but now i'm getting destroyed all the time. i might come back when the game comes out of beta.

Hmm are you playing ranked/casual or both? What deck are you trying to run?

Also it might suck but you can try to just force a single win at the expense of the other two rounds, that way you'll still progress and earn kegs.

hoggert

Goddamn, getting an ST epic or legendary every 3-4 kegs recently. The annoying thing was making the choice between Saskia and Ragh. I wanted both haha. Need em to clone a crazy pure weather deck I ran into pretty early in the beta. Tremors galore. Would probably be even better now with the dwarf and Dragoon changes.

There's a neat little Skellige deck floating around with King Bran + Queensguards. It's actually pretty solid looking. And fuckin annoying to play against.

Also I'm at nearly 800 scrap but I think I'm just going to save up until next patch and then craft shit just in case nerfs happen. Like Coral is definitely going to get nerfed.

There's a neat little Skellige deck floating around with King Bran + Queensguards. It's actually pretty solid looking. And fuckin annoying to play against.

Also I'm at nearly 800 scrap but I think I'm just going to save up until next patch and then craft shit just in case nerfs happen. Like Coral is definitely going to get nerfed.

Coral is pretty useless if they have a clear weather and everyone has clear weather now. The issue is the Aard combo and you can do that with a bronze fog/rain. Everytime I've used Coral mid-game she gets clear skies played immediately. Another thing is the most buffest of the buff units tend to be in the melee row so putting weather on range and siege effects what really. Northern Realms sometimes? Scoia'tael? They have clear skies coming out of their ears plus there's Aglais + Eithne just in case.

Without Aard she's not that great.

Coral is pretty useless if they have a clear weather and everyone has clear weather now. The issue is the Aard combo and you can do that with a bronze fog/rain. Everytime I've used Coral mid-game she gets clear skies played immediately. Another thing is the most buffest of the buff units tend to be in the melee row so putting weather on range and siege effects what really. Northern Realms sometimes? Scoia'tael? They have clear skies coming out of their ears plus there's Aglais + Eithne just in case.

Without Aard she's not that great.

Well she seems to be used in a lot of the high ranking Skellige decks along with Aard so...

Well she seems to be used in a lot of the high ranking Skellige decks along with Aard so...

Aard is good in any deck that uses weather. Like I said, basic bronzes can do the same job as Coral for the combo except people have an aversion to running them for some reason. I'd argue Woodland Spirit + Aard is a much better combo

Aard is good in any deck that uses weather. Like I said, basic bronzes can do the same job as Coral for the combo except people have an aversion to running them for some reason. I'd argue Woodland Spirit + Aard is a much better combo

Coral has the benefit of spawning weather only on the opponents row. And also on two rows. Meanwhile she's a gold body. I think she's significantly better than a bronze weather card. I think high level players must agree, because I don't see them using bronze weather cards over Coral in their Skellige decks.

Also kind of odd how your criticism is that it doesn't impact the melee row which is where high power cards typically exist. You're right that Coral isn't that great without Aard. But Aard sets up a very nice "fuck your melee row" combo. And also a "fuck your ranged row" combo.

Anyway I can see we simply disagree about how useful the card is. My opinion isn't going to be swayed so that's all I'm going to say to you regarding the subject.

I hope they will support different skins. Not a big fan of the current board layout. Cards look tiny and there are big margins on the side.

Coral has the benefit of spawning weather only on the opponents row. And also on two rows. Meanwhile she's a gold body. I think she's significantly better than a bronze weather card. I think high level players must agree, because I don't see them using bronze weather cards over Coral in their Skellige decks.

Also kind of odd how your criticism is that it doesn't impact the melee row which is where high power cards typically exist. You're right that Coral isn't that great without Aard. But Aard sets up a very nice "fuck your melee row" combo. And also a "fuck your ranged row" combo.

Anyway I can see we simply disagree about how useful the card is. My opinion isn't going to be swayed so that's all I'm going to say to you regarding the subject.

I didn't say at all that it was a bad card but it's utility is very much dependent on drawing Aard as well. As far as how her one sided weather benefits you, Skellige generally doesn't use the range row outside of pirates so all we're really gaining from that is keeping Sigrdrifa to balloon up and the providing an extra 2 strength in round 3. Light longships are immune to rain already (and are Aard proof) so you've already got that benefit built in.

Another thing to consider is that Ermion's new discard 2 draw 2 mechanic makes him highly volatile to use which opened up a gold slot for a lot of Skellige players at the cost of a bit of consistency. I think that the Coral + Aard combo is the new Igni + Ermion after the latest nerfs.

What I was getting at was, Coral isn't so good that the card will get nerfed. When and if the additional damage on Aard is removed (or priority is changed to that it doesn't wipe) I don't think we'll see many complaints.

It could still happen though.

man some of the music for the game has this snoring noise in the background and its pretty annoying

bah this guy bm'd me by playing 80 str after i passed and i accidentally gg'd him, that button just jumps right under your cursor

Made a super fun Eithne special rotation deck that consists of just rotating tons and tons of specials. The combos can get ridiculous when using the elvish mercenaries and commandos

City 17

I got Ciri as a level-up reward... but I already had the card.
Turns out that it doesn't show as a duplicate in my collection, so I can't mill it or anything.

Even +5 scrabs would've been better.

Been playing this deck:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/8608-skelligaard-skellige-weather?page=2

Managed to grind my way up to Ranked level 5 with it. Feels pretty solid: has good answers for most of the meta decks I've seen. Haven't really had too many matches where it felt like there was nothing I could do, instead it was mainly "Oh if I draw that card now I'd probably win... shite I didn't. Oh well". There've also been a few matches where it feels like I played perfectly and ended up winning 2-0. One thing I particularly like about this deck is that if you manage to win Round 1, you can spend Round 2 spamming your 3 spies at the enemy, and if they spend any back you can decoy them back too. If they get frustrated and pass as a result, if you have Coral and Geralt:Aard in hand you can actually just turn around and neuter his entire board, if he doesn't have any weather resistant units.

I think Coral's probably going to get nerfed next patch. I'd play her even if she was 4 strength, probably.

Top Bottom