• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GWENT closed beta now underway

I imagine the Weather + Aard combo will be looked at next patch. At the very least, they'll swap the priorities so that the 1 damage comes first then the weather. Its especially frustrating right now the inconsistency with weather, you got cards like Dudu (set its strength to that of a target opposing unit) and Trololo (deal 1 damage to all opposing units on the same row and gain 1 strength for each), they both come out, buff themselves, then get knocked back down to 1 by the weather. Its not consistent that buffing takes place before weather and damage after.

I imagine the Weather + Aard combo will be looked at next patch. At the very least, they'll swap the priorities so that the 1 damage comes first then the weather. Its especially frustrating right now the inconsistency with weather, you got cards like Dudu (set its strength to that of a target opposing unit) and Trololo (deal 1 damage to all opposing units on the same row and gain 1 strength for each), they both come out, buff themselves, then get knocked back down to 1 by the weather. Its not consistent that buffing takes place before weather and damage after.

Up until Aard, it was actually pretty consistent: weather tends to have low priority (i.e. happens later, I think internally in the game there is a priority number assigned to the effects and lower numbers happen first). This means, with the exception of Aard, damage happened before weather. See weather interacting with Savage Bears, traps etc as proof of this. Aard was specifically coded to have that exception so Aard damage happens after weather.

This was the reddit post in which I learned this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/5daegi/patch_0816_unreleased_ability_notes/

See the comments for a discussion on what priority means.

All that said however, I do think this priority stuff is hidden knowledge that needs to be more obvious.

Priority definitely needs to be made more obvious. Either a symbol or a number or something. Or have consistent rules where a card needs to state an outright exception.

JustinBB7

So what rank are people? I only do my daily every night in ranked and I'm rank 3 now. Started at 2. Last night I was about position 8000 on the leader board, though before I started last night I was at 11k+. Must mean a lot of people are playing this beta if you count all the people worse than me, or that don't play ranked.

So what rank are people? I only do my daily every night in ranked and I'm rank 3 now. Started at 2. Last night I was about position 8000 on the leader board, though before I started last night I was at 11k+. Must mean a lot of people are playing this beta if you count all the people worse than me, or that don't play ranked.
I'm rank 2 cause that's where it placed me from my non-ranked matches. I only played one ranked match that I lost and I'm at 26k which gives you even more of an idea of how many people are playing.

Been playing this deck:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/8608-skelligaard-skellige-weather?page=2

Managed to grind my way up to Ranked level 5 with it. Feels pretty solid: has good answers for most of the meta decks I've seen. Haven't really had too many matches where it felt like there was nothing I could do, instead it was mainly "Oh if I draw that card now I'd probably win... shite I didn't. Oh well". There've also been a few matches where it feels like I played perfectly and ended up winning 2-0. One thing I particularly like about this deck is that if you manage to win Round 1, you can spend Round 2 spamming your 3 spies at the enemy, and if they spend any back you can decoy them back too. If they get frustrated and pass as a result, if you have Coral and Geralt:Aard in hand you can actually just turn around and neuter his entire board, if he doesn't have any weather resistant units.

I think Coral's probably going to get nerfed next patch. I'd play her even if she was 4 strength, probably.

Been running the same thing to similar results. It's a pretty fun deck although not having the the ability to run through the entire deck hurts. I've had some games with unbelievably bad draws. I just swapped out Skellige Storm for Commander's Horn because it can be pretty difficult to keep up with the power output of some decks. Plus I find Storm is pretty much dead if I run into monster weather, especially the ones that duplicate Foglets.

How consistently are you managing Poor Infantry cheese?

Been running the same thing to similar results. It's a pretty fun deck although not having the the ability to run through the entire deck hurts. I've had some games with unbelievably bad draws. I just swapped out Skellige Storm for Commander's Horn because it can be pretty difficult to keep up with the power output of some decks. Plus I find Storm is pretty much dead if I run into monster weather, especially the ones that duplicate Foglets.

How consistently are you managing Poor Infantry cheese?

My tactics against Poor Infantry are normally to try and push hard to win 2-0 as opposed to letting it go a third round. To that end:

1. Prioritize the following cards in opening hand: Udalryk, Aeromancy, Aard + either Storm or Coral.
2. Wait for enemy to use the first mushroom, then immediately steal it with Udalryk. ( Hopefully he hasn't used Last Wish to draw some of his combo components!). Next turn, use the mushroom you stole to undo his own mushroom buff.
3. Try and bait out the Foltest, then use Aeromancy -> Frost. Most PFI players I've seen don't normally have Clear Skies at this point since they've been trying to get their combos + Shani etc instead.
4. If we don't have Aeromancy in our hand, it's time to threaten Aard. Play Storm/Coral and hope he doesn't just promote the PFI row.
5. If they pass after Storm/Coral, try to win it without using Aard if possible. Hyalmar is good for doing this, as are res'ed Skirmishers if you didn't Frost melee. That allows you to threaten weather + Aard again for subsequent rounds.

All that's normally enough to win the first round against PFI. Subsequent rounds are less open-shut, mainly about trying to time the Weather + Aard combo correctly, but it definitely gets hard if they already have Shani in hand. One of the reasons why I like to push hard for a 2 round win is if they have both Renew and Shani it's really really hard to win, and nobody uses Shani first round.

While I'm on this topic: one thing I learnt yesterday watching a discussion about this deck:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/8605-rank-1-1718-points-ozgurbatuhans-nr

Is that an interesting way to play the PFI match up is to *not* kill the PFI outright, but just try to reduce the health of it down. This has 2 benefits:
1. Makes any medic the opponent has in their hand dead for the first round, and
2. Lowers drastically the effectiveness of Foltest in that round.

That NR deck has tons of ways to do direct damage to units to accomplish this, but the Skellige weather deck doesn't: primarily it depends on Aeromancy. I'm not sure about this, but it might also sometimes be worth using Harald early before you think he's going to Foltest to accomplish the same thing. Same with Lacerate.

Lastly: I actually find the Skellige weather deck pretty consistent normally. Between the deck thinning with the Pirates, and card draw/filtering with Last Wish and the 3 spies, you can work your way through most of the deck. It's not quite enough to guarantee that you will draw Aard (and the deck needs to draw Aard really really badly! ), but it feels more consistent than, say PFI to me.

Wagram

I generally can squash the poor infantry cheese pretty quickly. It's tricky though if you don't get any wounding cards in the first hand.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/8991-voodoo-and-dudu

This is the fairly non-conventional NR deck I've been playing. It's served me decently well but ended up replacing the Adrenaline Rush with Venom specifically to help with PFI decks. Hopefully between Mulligan/Stennis/Thaler I can get those two spores and just undo their buffs. Win the first round and leave them reviving 3 strength infantry in round two that I can clear with Venom.

hoggert

Finally rank 5, Jesus Christ... took a week of hovering around 1470 mark, then falling down to the 1300s then getting back up and hitting three PFI shroom decks in a row, rinse and repeat. The amount of bugs with demoted gold NR medics and spores is driving me crazy.

JustinBB7

Wish we had some more info on some things, how long will this ranked season last? What will the rewards be at the end? What are the rewards for all ranks?

There is a list on the gwent reddit with leveling up rewards at least.

I'm heading towards rank 4. Played weather monster so far but keep reading it's bad so trying out my own NR gold deck. Missing too many cards to play some of the top tier decks but still winning a lot so far. Though I guess I'll hit the ceiling soon.

bahahaha had a game where i drew only the one weather card and used it first round. Later on the opponent revives my Udalyrk and pulls the weather card, uses it, only to get dunked by my Aard.

Was hanging out in h_g3's twitch stream ( https://www.twitch.tv/h_g3 ), CDPR's Rethaz was in there and mentioned that they're likely to change Poor Infantry so that the spawned copy of the infantry card doesn't go into the graveyard, and that they're also planning something else but they can't talk about it now)

JustinBB7

Think I hit the point in ranked where my own decks won't cut it anymore at Rank 4. Or just got unlucky tonight, been winning a lot lately before today.

For the tournament we got me, City 17 and yo_soy_el_topo so far. I was thinking maybe do 8 players at first to keep it easy.

Do you get xp in friend games btw?

Think I hit the point in ranked where my own decks won't cut it anymore at Rank 4. Or just got unlucky tonight, been winning a lot lately before today.

Could just be that there are other people climbing with complete "good" decks. I only played ranked on the first day and lost 3 or 4 games in a row. I didn't touch it since then but I went and jumped back in yesterday and went 19-5. The people I run into casual with the hidden MMR are much more difficult on average than the people I'm playing in ranked so far.

As long as it isn't a continued regression I think you'll keep ranking up fine

hoggert

Fucking hell, ran quickplay to get an easy 10 ore and ran into a top ten ranker who I assume was testing out a Radovid Baron bounce deck. Somehow managed to win and got Dandelion and a choice of Ele'yas/Operator/Nithral in the keg afterwards.

Also, with all the hating on PFI, y'all are missing out on the Bloody Baron. 5 times in one game. Once in the first round. Four times in the second thanks to some intentional coordination on my part with Milva. And then a top card draw of a medic with a wildcard Baron in round three.

Best quest in Witcher 3, best card in Gwent.

Sorian

Banned
Fucking hell, ran quickplay to get an easy 10 ore and ran into a top ten ranker who I assume was testing out a Radovid Baron bounce deck. Somehow managed to win and got Dandelion and a choice of Ele'yas/Operator/Nithral in the keg afterwards.

Also, with all the hating on PFI, y'all are missing out on the Bloody Baron. 5 times in one game. Once in the first round. Four times in the second thanks to some intentional coordination on my part with Milva. And then a top card draw of a medic with a wildcard Baron in round three.

Best quest in Witcher 3, best card in Gwent.

I wouldn't say anyone is missing out on baron, I don't think there is a good NR deck running that doesn't use baron. PFI is just junk.

hoggert

I wouldn't say anyone is missing out on baron, I don't think there is a good NR deck running that doesn't use baron. PFI is just junk.

Yeah, judging by the current amount of whining on reddit about Baron and to a lesser degree Shani, I'm behind the times.

Makes me want to try a Dagon kayran witcher absorb/gravedigger deck.

Baron not being permadeath while the Lubberkin he summons is doesn't make much sense. The chains that you can get off by going Nenneke -> Baron -> King of Beggars -> Medic are pretty nuts. Speaking of King of Beggars, I kind of wanna craft that dude. Seems like if you can play him a few times as well as all the Reaver Hunters + Redanian Elites can lead to some serious deck thinning for NR.

Managed to get premium Birna Bran from one of my kegs today. This card looks amazing.

hoggert

I forgot about the king of beggars NR combo. I've seen some crazy single turn gains from that, probably even better for SK.

The new Northern Realm's cheese is infuriating.

Play a Scoia'tael control dock, and keep some kind of Frost card in the deck. DBomb could also work, unless these use shrooms. The PFI cheese will get curb stomped. They almost always use their First Light to Rally early in a match. I usually win against NR, unless they use those Redanian Knights that turn gold after three show up, instead of the PFI, because I lack the legendary cards with enough strength to get rid of those.

JustinBB7

Really liking gwentify.com I entered my card collection and when you look at decks there it says which ones you still need, and how much scrap you miss, and how much scrap it is total etc. Seems better than gwentdb.com in that regard, but since it's less popular less decks I think.

Also I almost have 800 scraps, should I craft the baron, or craft Shani, Priscilla, Nenneke?

Really liking gwentify.com I entered my card collection and when you look at decks there it says which ones you still need, and how much scrap you miss, and how much scrap it is total etc. Seems better than gwentdb.com in that regard, but since it's less popular less decks I think.

Also I almost have 800 scraps, should I craft the baron, or craft Shani, Priscilla, Nenneke?

Probably Baron or Shani. Nenneke is a straight revive. Baron is more strength, a revive or 4 strength Rushed unit, and can be demoted with Sargent and brought back again. And Shani revives the target as gold.

The reality is, every NR deck needs all three.

Tried my hand at ranked and it was a disaster, not going back there until I have the 4 golds I want in my deck.

At least it's nice they give you 50 ore just for getting a ranking.

Also you won't hear me complain about bad luck with kegs anymore, things have completely turned around. Just last night I got to choose between Keira and Rag nar Roog.

Just had a ridiculously satisfying match. I was playing my NR deck against Skellige. Guy opens with putting down two Skirmishers. I throw spores on one, and then he goes all in on buffing the other. I give him the first round. Second round he, naturally, revives the buffed Skirmisher. I throw out Dudu to copy his strength. He then D-bombs my Skirmisher back down to 1, which I just use Bekker's Twisted Mirror to swap his buffed Skirmisher with my 1 strength Dudu. End of round 2. Last round, I have a 6-5 card advantage and I'm just throwing down whatever garbage I still have in my hand. He just spends all his cards buffing his one Skirmisher. Eventually its like 64 to 30. My last card is Shani, bring out a shiny gold Dudu that gets buffed up to 62 strength for an overwhelming victory.

City 17

Just had a ridiculously satisfying match. I was playing my NR deck against Skellige. Guy opens with putting down two Skirmishers. I throw spores on one, and then he goes all in on buffing the other. I give him the first round. Second round he, naturally, revives the buffed Skirmisher. I throw out Dudu to copy his strength. He then D-bombs my Skirmisher back down to 1, which I just use Bekker's Twisted Mirror to swap his buffed Skirmisher with my 1 strength Dudu. End of round 2. Last round, I have a 6-5 card advantage and I'm just throwing down whatever garbage I still have in my hand. He just spends all his cards buffing his one Skirmisher. Eventually its like 64 to 30. My last card is Shani, bring out a shiny gold Dudu that gets buffed up to 62 strength for an overwhelming victory.

Having Bekker is a gamble, though it can be a total game changer at times... Using it against Lord of Undvik or Kayran is not even funny.

Summoning a golden Dudu is a nice idea, haven't seen it being played.

JustinBB7

Ok made a google doc with info about the tournament, people can add themselves if they want, once we have 8 we can talk about dates. Let's see how it goes.

Quote to reveal link!

Baron is really good, almost 100% used in most NR decks, but so is Shani and Priscilla. Nenneke is also pretty good. Definitely go with the 3 200 scrap cost cards, it'll have a much bigger effect on your games.

Managed to get up to Rank 6 now playing an off-meta Skellige deck that I saw some of the streamers discussing, which was originated by Russian player cmel:
A6DKf74.jpg

I don't understand why I'm doing better with this deck than the previous one that was more weather focused. (Why the copy of Fog!?! :D ). I think it might be because D-bomb isn't played anymore in the current meta, so a Commander's Horn (not to mention the Clan Haymaey Skalds) is often enough to win you a round outright.

Other than that, this deck by player Dunkoro seems like a monster:
http://imgur.com/a/Aozvr

The trick with the deck is to Foltest a Reaver Scout. It allows you to do disgusting chains like:

1. Play a Redanian Elite
2. Play a Reaver Scout, summoning a second Redanian Elite.
3. Foltest the Reaver Scout. That Reaver Scout targets a Reaver Scout. The 4th Reaver Scout then targets Redanian Elite again.

Unfortunately I don't have Yennefer or Myrgtabrakke, so I can't test this deck myself.

Been playing this deck:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/8608-skelligaard-skellige-weather?page=2

Managed to grind my way up to Ranked level 5 with it. Feels pretty solid: has good answers for most of the meta decks I've seen. Haven't really had too many matches where it felt like there was nothing I could do, instead it was mainly "Oh if I draw that card now I'd probably win... shite I didn't. Oh well". There've also been a few matches where it feels like I played perfectly and ended up winning 2-0. One thing I particularly like about this deck is that if you manage to win Round 1, you can spend Round 2 spamming your 3 spies at the enemy, and if they spend any back you can decoy them back too. If they get frustrated and pass as a result, if you have Coral and Geralt:Aard in hand you can actually just turn around and neuter his entire board, if he doesn't have any weather resistant units.

I think Coral's probably going to get nerfed next patch. I'd play her even if she was 4 strength, probably.

I haven't being playing Gwent since I got extremely butthurt over the disconnection issues (that and the holidays and then I bought FIFA 17 on a sale to play with some friends and finishing Blood and Wine on my PS4 run) but that is basically the same deck that took me to be 60 on ranked before I went full stupid and decided to try out other decks. Though personally I don't know how to feel about a Skellige deck without Sig or restoration or Dbomb. I agree though Coral was a wonderful card that will definitely will not survive the patch.

Having Bekker is a gamble, though it can be a total game changer at times... Using it against Lord of Undvik or Kayran is not even funny.

Summoning a golden Dudu is a nice idea, haven't seen it being played.

The deck I play does a reasonable job of not getting super-high strength out on the board. Occasionally if I don't have many plays I'll use shrooms on Thaler or Baron knowing that I'll likely res them next round and every once in a while I'll get the Blue Stripes Commandos out multiple times an inadvertently buff one up to 11 or 13, but I'm usually trying to get those guys out the first round. The planned play for Bekker's is to have Baron pull out a Lubberkin since that's a 1 strength unit and there aren't a ton of 1 strength units that find their way out on the table in later rounds.

I've demoted and Dudu'd a Kayran a couple of times, that's super satisfying. The only time I managed to Bekker a Kayran the guy Bekker'd it right back.

I haven't being playing Gwent since I got extremely butthurt over the disconnection issues (that and the holidays and then I bought FIFA 17 on a sale to play with some friends and finishing Blood and Wine on my PS4 run) but that is basically the same deck that took me to be 60 on ranked before I went full stupid and decided to try out other decks. Though personally I don't know how to feel about a Skellige deck without Sig or restoration or Dbomb. I agree though Coral was a wonderful card that will definitely will not survive the patch.

How often are people getting disconnected? I have never got disconnected myself, but have earned a handful of wins from other players disconnecting. I've always assume this was less a technical issue and more people just hitting Alt+F4 out of frustration. Every match I've won due to my opponent disconnecting has been a match that I've had a noticeable advantage.

Baron is really good, almost 100% used in most NR decks, but so is Shani and Priscilla. Nenneke is also pretty good. Definitely go with the 3 200 scrap cost cards, it'll have a much bigger effect on your games.

Managed to get up to Rank 6 now playing an off-meta Skellige deck that I saw some of the streamers discussing, which was originated by Russian player cmel:

I don't understand why I'm doing better with this deck than the previous one that was more weather focused. (Why the copy of Fog!?! :D ). I think it might be because D-bomb isn't played anymore in the current meta, so a Commander's Horn (not to mention the Clan Haymaey Skalds) is often enough to win you a round outright.

Other than that, this deck by player Dunkoro seems like a monster:
http://imgur.com/a/Aozvr

The trick with the deck is to Foltest a Reaver Scout. It allows you to do disgusting chains like:

1. Play a Redanian Elite
2. Play a Reaver Scout, summoning a second Redanian Elite.
3. Foltest the Reaver Scout. That Reaver Scout targets a Reaver Scout. The 4th Reaver Scout then targets Redanian Elite again.

Unfortunately I don't have Yennefer or Myrgtabrakke, so I can't test this deck myself.

I saw HG3 running the NR deck and it seems pretty nuts. Especially the combo you mentioned into Yennefer. Don't really have the necessary cards to pull it off although I did open up a premium Foltest today.

There's some interesting choice of tech on the upper end of ranked. I was expecting it to be a lot more vanilla to be honest.

City 17

Ok made a google doc with info about the tournament, people can add themselves if they want, once we have 8 we can talk about dates. Let's see how it goes.

Quote to reveal link!

Thanks for the list.

The "three different factions" rule makes it more complicated than it should be, I think most players play with just one faction... I've sold my entire monsters deck to fund some cards.

If the number of contestants are as is, I suggest a double round-robin format.

JustinBB7

Thanks for the list.

The "three different factions" rule makes it more complicated than it should be, I think most players play with just one faction... I've sold my entire monsters deck to fund some cards.

If the number of contestants are as is, I suggest a double round-robin format.

I took the rule list from another Gwent tournament. I'm guessing it's for if 1 player plays a faction that counters the other, you won't win any of the games. I only have 2 passable faction decks.

We can change the rule I suppose, it's just for fun and since it's still early I guess most people don't have many different faction decks yet.

JustinBB7

Had a 10 game lead on my losses in ranked, only lost past 3 days, even in casual. Have no idea what's happening, can just not seem to win anything. Keep having the worst draws and hands every fucking game, it's so frustrating.

Had a Legendary draw between Avallac'h, Last Wish, and Animated Kambi. I could use Last Wish and don't play Monster or Skellige, but can't turn down an animated card.

Also, played my first three matches today, a Skellige deck and two Dwarf squirrel decks. Dude and Mirror got plenty of good use.

City 17

I took the rule list from another Gwent tournament. I'm guessing it's for if 1 player plays a faction that counters the other, you won't win any of the games. I only have 2 passable faction decks.

We can change the rule I suppose, it's just for fun and since it's still early I guess most people don't have many different faction decks yet.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Still we can make it optional so that if one feels like changing his/her faction for whatever reasons he/she can do it, especially if it's a double round-robin format, as you might wanna change your strategy for the 2nd match.

Well, shite. I was up to position 58 on the ladder (1897 points, 2 points away from Rank 7 MMR which was my real goal) when everything turned to shite. On a game I would have won my opponent let his shrooms time out without choosing a target, which apparently caused the client to crash and made me lost 50 points. Looking on Reddit it turns out I'm not the only one he's done this on :/

Then the game decided to keep matching me against people who are Rank 4 (i.e. 2 full ranks below me), meaning if I won I got like +3 points, but when I lost I got -57.

Much sadness.

Quote to reveal link!

I just got into it, thanks for trying to do something like a Gaf Tournament I hope more people get into it so we can start talks of when and how to make it. I do hope this game me an excuse to return a little more to play Gwent since i haven't fire up in a while.

How often are people getting disconnected? I have never got disconnected myself, but have earned a handful of wins from other players disconnecting. I've always assume this was less a technical issue and more people just hitting Alt+F4 out of frustration. Every match I've won due to my opponent disconnecting has been a match that I've had a noticeable advantage.

I got several disconnection issues since the start of the Beta but I do have crappy internet even though I have no actual disconnection issues from my end it could be a velocity issue but then I have never had problems in 3 consecutive matches or so much that I would basically rage quit on the game so hard that I wouldn't play it for days. I had disconnection issues from all ends, winning, losing, immediate winning situations or lossing ones, connection issues (from my end) seem far more prevalent even if they (overall) weren't so problematic, the issue is that having 3 ranked games been disconnected (when I feel I either had the advantage or clear advantage) is the zone where I could rage quit a game.

Also sorry for the mistakes since I am drunkposting and HAPPY NEW YEAR GWENTGAF!

Edit: I must have the worse bad luck ever, I decided to play a ranked match with my traditional 0.8.22 Skellige deck and I lost... because in my house we have 3 air conditioned rooms, my own, the visit and the living room and in all 3 there are people sleeping today there... I told them to turn off the AC when they were about to sleep so obviously they didn't.... result when I was to see If I get to win or not my ranked match the freaking thermostat cut off my lights and I lost my freaking match... my first gwent match in almost a week or more (I fell from 60 to the possition 1900 or less now since the disconnection issues) and I got disconnected again... GOD FUCKING DAMN IT...

Top Bottom