• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1 | LiveStream | 4PM PST

KKRT00

Software development in general is like that. The only thing worse is when we have to watch it real-time (IE Early Access), like watching grass grow.

Dunno, there are mods for Arma 2/3 that are developed faster than DayZ S. Path of Exile was and is developed much faster too. EVE Online is developed faster etc.

Lets not forget that DayZ S is in production for over 1.5 year now and it is still not up to pair feature wise to the Arma 2 mod. Its painfully slow unfortunately ;\ [yeah i know it has some other things implemented too]
Sure, development is not easy or fast, but they still havent fixed mouse acceleration, almost 5 months after alpha launch.

===========

Player servers feature sounds awesome.

Card Boy

Banned
I'd like to get excited for this, has some cool things going on, but I'm vomit in my mouth levels sick of zombies. And even worse, after the utter disaster that Planetside 2 was, I'm skeptical of anything with SOE's name on it.

Surprised you call Planetside 2 a disaster after you where in love with that generic shit MAG.

Ryuuga

Banned
Not the greatest first impression for me, but I guess we'll all get a crack at it in a few weeks so we'll see then.

Overdoziz

Banned
Dunno, there are mods for Arma 2/3 that are developed faster than DayZ S. Path of Exile was and is developed much faster too. EVE Online is developed faster etc.

Lets not forget that DayZ S is in production for over 1.5 year now and it is still not up to pair feature wise to the Arma 2 mod. Its painfully slow unfortunately ;\ [yeah i know it has some other things implemented too]
Sure, development is not easy or fast, but they still havent fixed mouse acceleration, almost 5 months after alpha launch.
Those Arma 2/3 mods usually just use things already in the engine anyway and most of the stuff doesn't exactly work very well. A lot of stuff is just kinda tacked on. That can work fine for a mod, but it does have its limits. That's the reason why they stopped working on the mod to focus on making it it's own game.

Also, they did actually fix the mouse acceleration as of a couple of days ago. :D (in the experimental branch)

I love how straight forward SOE has been as of late. Like what I hear about seeing more crafting and survival aspects next week. Also this really stuck out for me.

Why was there so much stuff around 15 years later - we wanted to show you how the mechanics worked. Simple as that. We intend to make surviving a lot about catching your food. Longer term about growing it and protecting it.

REALLY good move imo.

stryke

Couldn't watch the video because it was buffering too slowly.

Did they explain how the loot spawn system works?

AlphaDump

Gold Member
the thought of H1Z1 and oculus rift/morpheus is why i look forward to the future of gaming so much.

will def check this out

Couldn't watch the video because it was buffering too slowly.

Did they explain how the loot spawn system works?
I believe they said the loot will just respawn on it's own after a set time and maybe when the area is empty. The servers will NOT be restarting every couple hours what dayz and rust do.

Also uploaded the stream to YouTube in HD, it's in two parts and each part is 30mins long.

Link

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I believe they said the loot will just respawn on it's own after a set time and maybe when the area is empty. The servers will NOT be restarting every couple hours what dayz and rust do.

Also uploaded the stream to YouTube in HD, it's in two parts and each part is 30mins long.

Link

Is that why I'm constantly disconnecting in DayZ? That's really annoying on top of the jank controls.

Looks like it could be cool but there was so little to see that it's hard to come to any sort of judgement from it. I guess the tech foundation is there and the jank was at a minimum which is always cool. I do wonder with so little going on and to show why they did a live stream instead of a polished prerecorded gameplay demo.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Looks like it could be cool but there was so little to see that it's hard to come to any sort of judgement from it. I guess the tech foundation is there and the jank was at a minimum which is always cool. I do wonder with so little going on and to show why they did a live stream instead of a polished prerecorded gameplay demo.

They were going to show more, but the server happened to go down while they were doing the livestream. That is why they were mainly driving around.

Freeman

Banned
Looks very good, surprisingly advanced for a game that is 5 months in developed. I hope they do it right, I might get in the beta depending on how playable it is by then.

sunnz

If that is 5 months of production, then I am pretty excited to see what we will see down the line.

Especially when you consider dayz is nearly 2 years now ( year and a half, yes most of it was engine building/infrastructure but the progress is still slow...)

Has a long way to go and doesn't seem to have the depth dayz has, which I really like.

Will it replace dayz? doubt it but will still be a good option.

Iadien

Smedley has been tweeting/posting a bit again.

Next Tuesday we will be doing a special H1Z1 event from 9am-9pm. We are going to be building a feature the community specifically requests and streaming it as we build it. We're also going to open up our Dev area to anyone interested in coming down to our offices from 12pm-5pm If you want to come down, meet the team where they actually work (while they work I might add) and hang out and talk to us. And yes, play.

First thoughts on monetization: http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/23oqm8/we_had_our_first_monetization_meeting_yesterday/

Some of our outcomes. Please note I'll do a comprehensive posting after we're done with this. We have another meeting Thursday to discuss.
We will be selling wearables. We felt like this will be a good, fair revenue generator. However - we recognize how important finding wearables in the world is so you'll be able to find and craft a lot of stuff. We agree that's something important. We've also come up with a pretty awesome idea to let players who kill other players loot stuff. So if a player has a black ski mask and gets killed by another player, that player can wear the ski mask for a few deaths (we have durability in the game. Station Cash wearables won't degrade at all but when you loot something.. it will degrade. Please note the original player always keeps their SC purchased wearables. This gives the great feeling of whacking some unsuspecting fool who decided to bring a knife to a gun fight.
We will NOT be selling Guns, Ammo, Food, Water... i.e. That's kind of the whole game and it would suck in our opinion if we did that.
Nor will we sell boosts that will impact #2.
Emote Pack - of course we'll have the basics for free. But we felt like this is another good and fair revenue generator.
Character slots - feels reasonable.
6) Crates - You can find crates sometimes in game. They're filled with random cool stuff from the store. We're considering letting you see what's in them before you buy a key (ala Dota 2.). This idea isn't fully locked yet.
That Monetization thread has turned out to be a terrific source of ideas and it also is helping us steer clear of the stuff you just don't want to see.
More to come late this week.
Smed

Air Drops idea: http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/23osv8/air_drops_in_h1z1/

An idea was discussed internally yesterday that we really like. It's simple - We will allow players to purchase Air Drops of care packages like food, water. Before you judge - it goes to a random location and is obvious to everyone in the area. Think of it like buying surprises for people in the game that if you're lucky you can try and get yourselves.
However, our real goal here is along the lines of The Hunger Games. A mad rush for supplies followed by a tense standoff. Basically think of it as instant chaos.
How is there anything flying? A few pilots manage to scrounge together enough fuel to make these runs.
Just an idea. Thoughts?
Smed

Freki

"We will NOT be selling Guns, Ammo, Food, Water... i.e. That's kind of the whole game and it would suck in our opinion if we did that.
Nor will we sell boosts that will impact #2."​
This makes me really excited for the game...

Iadien

death and looting: http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/23oxoe/death_and_looting_in_h1z1/

I've seen some questions about this. I want to clarify this as it's important to the game.
When you die, your corpse becomes a container with ALL your stuff. Your corpse may end up wandering around if it turns into a zombie and reanimates. But either way it's completely up for grabs.
Station Cash purchased items are always available to you from your locker. We're not going to have you buy something and have you permanently lose it. However, we will allow other players to loot a lower durability version of the item (Station Cash items do not degrade).
So dying is a serious thing in H1Z1. This game is not for the weak.

I think the air drop idea is poor. I'm paying for something, but in the end i may never receive it and at worse i die trying to retrieve and losing all my gear in the process.

I find zombies very boring but after watching frankieonpcs video showing some stuff from the livestream, this games on my radar. not sure if my laptop could run it so I'll probably have to wait for this to come out on ps4

NH Apache

Banned
I think the air drop idea is poor. I'm paying for something, but in the end i may never receive it and at worse i die trying to retrieve and losing all my gear in the process.

I really liked drops in some of the dayz mods and wasteland; paying for conflict seems like the effect of this one. Everyone will see it in the area and as an effect, you can camp. It'll be a death area; people most likely will stay away unless they are endgame or something.

I find zombies very boring but after watching frankieonpcs video showing some stuff from the livestream, this games on my radar. not sure if my laptop could run it so I'll probably have to wait for this to come out on ps4

It's the Planetside 2 engine so most likely older computers will run it well.

CzarTim

I guess it's kind of like the dota thing where you buy boosts for everyone in the game but yourself. I bet it will be popular among groups who play together and don't mind fighting for it.

I really liked drops in some of the dayz mods and wasteland; paying for conflict seems like the effect of this one. Everyone will see it in the area and as an effect, you can camp. It'll be a death area; people most likely will stay away unless they are endgame or something.

I'm not against the idea of the air drop, i'm against the idea of paying for it. If it is going to be a randomly generated environmental probability i would have no issues with that.

KKRT00

I'm not against the idea of the air drop, i'm against the idea of paying for it. If it is going to be a randomly generated environmental probability i would have no issues with that.

Why is it an issue for You when its payed content?

I really dont get why people are against payed items in games with perma death. As long as You can kill whales as easy as normal people i dont see an issue. If someone is stupid enough to pay for items he/she can lose in a second, its solely their decision and for the rest community, its free pinata that also helps building a game.

Many people are to fast in jumping to conclusion that its a Pay to Win, because You can buy something gameplay related without spending a minute on thinking how it really affect gameplay in such a game.

mnannola

If it's cheap (1 or 2 bucks) I think it would be a fun way to introduce some craziness if you are getting a little bored. Follow the plane and see what happens at the drop site. Especially if it attracts hordes of zombies.

Eh, from what I have seen the pay scheme is this game seems fair. This is coming from someone who hates the F2P model, if the items are just cosmetic I don't really care. The airdrop thing seems interesting, I like the idea of giving everyone a chance to fight for it, but the balance is going to be important. I'd hate to see the developers bitch out and make it easier for the purchaser.

Eh, from what I have seen the pay scheme is this game seems fair. This is coming from someone who hates the F2P model, if the items are just cosmetic I don't really care. The airdrop thing seems interesting, I like the idea of giving everyone a chance to fight for it, but the balance is going to be important. I'd hate to see the developers bitch out and make it easier for the purchaser.

It's been proven multiple times from devs that actually give a shit about their games can do F2P right.

Path of Exile and Dota 2 are prime examples of great systems and both games are making nice profit. It's good to see that SOE is being as open as a company possibly can about everything related to the game and are listening and answering questions on Reddit like there's no tomorrow. Such a big turnaround from the SWG days of silencing everyone voicing their opinion about how bad the changes they were making were.

So dont use it?

If they implement a paid for air drop system with real money i will probably not even play the game. If a player is to spend money on anything in a game it needs to have a concrete result. It's bad enough games have incorporated gambling/addiction based systems that use fixed %s with real money, now they want to introduce the human factor.

demolitio

If they implement a paid for air drop system with real money i will probably not even play the game. If a player is to spend money on anything in a game it needs to have a concrete result. It's bad enough games have incorporated gambling/addiction based systems that use fixed %s with real money, now they want to introduce the human factor.

No one is forced to use it. It's an option and only an option...

I find it kind of stupid but it's not going to ruin a game for me if I never buy it...I rather it be this than some pay-to-win bullshit.

If you want to spend money in a game for an advantage, this clearly won't be that game and to 99.9% of gamers, that's a really good thing.

m@cross

Intriguing game; what is to stop a group of players ganging up and going out once a week to harvest newbs for zero effort scavenged stuff? Seems you will be forced to join big groups to not get PVP'd constantly.

Salex_

The air drops sounds perfect. It's for those who don't mind spending a buck or 2 to create a chaotic mission. I can't think of any negatives because the person buying it has a small chance of even getting the supplies.

It's been proven multiple times from devs that actually give a shit about their games can do F2P right.

Path of Exile and Dota 2 are prime examples of great systems and both games are making nice profit. It's good to see that SOE is being as open as a company possibly can about everything related to the game and are listening and answering questions on Reddit like there's no tomorrow. Such a big turnaround from the SWG days of silencing everyone voicing their opinion about how bad the changes they were making were.

Oh no, I don't doubt F2P can work as a fair and profitable model DotA 2 being a prime example of that. It's just not something that makes me weary of picking up a game.

Intriguing game; what is to stop a group of players ganging up and going out once a week to harvest newbs for zero effort scavenged stuff? Seems you will be forced to join big groups to not get PVP'd constantly.

If this is anything like the NeoGaf Rust server, and some of the DayZ mod servers that had stuff like base building, not quite the case with the SA yet, the smaller groups and lone wolves always suffer at the hands of the major factions. For example in Rust the group I was apart of would have all the high end gear faster than the lone wolves, we can collect more resources, and use those to have a bigger arsenal with to attack as loot the smaller groups. In any MMO type game that allows stuff like base building like stuff being in a group is almost always the way to go.

No one is forced to use it. It's an option and only an option...

I find it kind of stupid but it's not going to ruin a game for me if I never buy it...I rather it be this than some pay-to-win bullshit.

If you want to spend money in a game for an advantage, this clearly won't be that game and to 99.9% of gamers, that's a really good thing.

1.The choice of using it or not using it isn't the problem.
2. The problem is when a player chooses to spend real money he or she should get something more substantial then a "Chance"
3. It is poor game design to sell players, for real money, "chances".

HowZatOZ

Banned
Hmmm, I'm not too keen on their take of death. Honestly I feel like you should drop everything and anything, no matter if you bought it from the store or not. Would make you think twice before running head first into a battle, but I guess it may deter people from buying store items.

Monetisation is going to have to be a very delicate approach, one they need to think through and act accordingly. This is a type of game that if one small misstep is noted, it could ruin the entire feeling of scavenging and such, which is why I'm cautious at the whole air drop thing. I know Rust does it, but you don't need to purchase anything for that to happen.

I hope they only offer clothes and these crates, as they seem to fill a gap that can be dimed but not interfere with the general playthrough of a player. I'm a bit wary of the crates but hopefully they only contain fluff items, and not guns or bullets. Also this durability thing sounds...strange. I guess its their take on DayZ's system?

I don't have a reddit account, but I have an idea about the way they can implement the wearables in a fair way.

Right now, it sounds like there is a slight pay2win with cosmetic gear that can be used as protection. They should implement a system that requires the player to obtain the type of gear that they bought micro transaction for, then the player can apply the cosmetic onto the item to change the look. The cosmetic micro transaction can be one time or unlimited.

This way, you can't straight up buy armor/camo for any kind of advantage.

I don't have a reddit account, but I have an idea about the way they can implement the wearables in a fair way.

Right now, it sounds like there is a slight pay2win with cosmetic gear that can be used as protection. They should implement a system that requires the player to obtain the type of gear that they bought micro transaction for, then the player can apply the cosmetic onto the item to change the look. The cosmetic micro transaction can be one time or unlimited.

that is a pretty smart idea i mean if you buy something it should just open up the access to finding it in the world and perhaps forever be wearable until its broken in battle or until it goes back to respawning in the world for the original player to pickup

so player one buys microtransaction item, finds it in world...eventually dies to another player..Special backpack is either severely damaged or still in prestine condition....and gets access to your goodies until someone destroy it from his body or the next persons body...

KKRT00

I have not read about it, i think i have to now, but paying for protection gear seems like a stupid idea. Although it all depends if the statistic are identical with stats found ingame and if it really protects or just helps in 1 shot out of 5 like in DayZ :p

---------
Cuz that worked so well for the WarZ

But that was actually good idea from WarZ devs. That and softcore and hardcore modes.
Anything that is not a cosmetic like paint or skin should be dropable.

But that was actually good idea from WarZ devs.
Anything that is not a cosmetic like paint or skin should be dropable.

No it's not. You're paying for something, you get to keep it but drop a copy for your murderer. That's fine. To see how bad an idea of not owning what you buy is you need only roll back a year and look at the Xbox1.

Top Bottom